• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 186:
Finally, everything comes down to the ultimate confrontation between Satoshi and Shinji. This is where the show has been heading since the 3rd episode, and it feels suitably like the climax of the series as well as their respective arcs. Shinji has really grown a lot on me, from the angry and kind of obnoxious character he was at the start, to becoming the best rival character Satoshi has ever had. It's really interesting to see how much more sympathetic he's gotten, and the brief conversation between him and Reiji was very nice.

One of the most interesting things about the battle, which is touched on some by the characters, is how both Satoshi and Shinji have evolved by becoming more like the other in their battle strategies. Although they're still the opposite of one another in their outlook on things like relationships with their Pokemon, Shinji makes good use of Satoshi's counter shield strategy (and how's that for a callback. The staff here really remembered everything they built up over the whole series), which is remarked on by several characters. He also uses a lot more innovative strategies in mid battle, which is something I generally associate with Satoshi more than any other main character in the show. Not remarked on, but still implicit in the influence of a rival, is the way in which Satoshi keeps changing out Pokemon. Gone are the days where Satoshi would just send out one Pokemon and almost never change out. By the end of the episode he's used four different Pokemon without any of them being knocked out. He's definitely taken a more Shinji like approach to battling, which helps him to always take advantage of the situation. I look forward to seeing how the battle ends in the next episode.

fertygo

I dropped SNAFU when the fat chuuni guy showed up and I realized I didn't care about any of the characters introduced so far.

Unlikeable characters doing uninteresting things.

But you don't see the best waifu yet and the batman doing his thang

Btw I hope the S2 had better budget, show is one of the worst looking from last year.
"Quality".

"Barnaby's voice"

Exactly.

Go_Ly_Dow

its just like my japanese anime's

RK1twhT.gif

fertygo

Samurai Flamenco of LN anime is more apt.

Its just as ugly, and by chance you can think its "good" because some arbitrary differences with its kind.

Anohana 8

Man... things got intense and heavy at the beginning and at the end. Both times I went "oh s**t". This was a very good episode as it kind of brought everything together. Most of this drama really feels earned at this point. Except for the other dude who's a douche to Jintan all the time.

That ending made me go "yeah, Jintan is finally getting his due".

Syrinx

Happiness Charge Precure 11

Well at least Seiji was able to figure it out.

I knida thought that Cure Honey was holding out on joining Lovely and Princess for some bigger reason. Was actually kinda glad to be wrong, especially considering there's already a Precure like that (speaking of which, wonder when we're going to see more of her).

I realize a lot of people fell head-over-heels for Cure Honey this episode, but I actually feel like it affirms Princess as my favorite. I don't know how to put it. She just feels...genuine, I guess? Two moments with her stuck out this episode: first, when they first arrive at Yuuko's rice fields and she was all "Hey, I didn't offer to do shit!", only to reluctantly accept when those two adult workers were like "Oh hey, Yuuko's friends are here to help us." Second was when she and Lovely saved Honey and Honey asked her "So you're not mad?" and she was like "Of course I'm mad! I'm totally pissed off!" She's just so expressive in a way I don't think I expected. That means she comes off as a brat sometimes ("Pancakes! Pancakes! Pancakes!"), but I like it when characters have that not-so-perfect side to them.

ED still blows chunks. But again, OP and transformation themes may be my favorite in the franchise (though my exposure to it is very limited compared to others here).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Syrinx: Actually, what impressed me most about ep 11 was the stuff outside Honey's new stuff. It was a spectacle to be sure, but the show was on point otherwise. In my view, to be truly good a magical girl show has to handle both its light elements and its heavy elements well, and while HapCha hasn't shown its stuff on the heavy side properly yet, it's been making good moves.

cajunator

Banned
Reposting for the morning crowd.

--------------------

Since it seems like Monday and Tuesday are the slowest days of the week, might as well take the chance to break out the NEW ANIMEGAF SURVEY I've been wanting to post for a while now. Kind of a mix of some questions from previous ones (since there's a lot of new people around and some stuff might have changed) plus a few new ones.

(The link is in email tags right here if you quote this post.)

Please take the time to fill it out, if you'd like. Should take maybe five minutes at most.

-------------------------------

Yes, I prepared some of the questions before Neon Alley announced they were basically going to just put everything on Hulu, so just ignore them on any question where they're listed.
And whoever it was that put the modified "Rocket Man" lyrics in the open question slot... well played.

Now that Im awake and at my Pc I'll take part.

AHAHAHAH YES. Cant wait to see where this goes (if they even finish it)

It's here:

I know how much you guys love the blurbs on the back of anime boxes:

I shoulda preordered it but then I wouldnt get to it anytime soon anyway cause I want to watch new stuff right now.

Seriously, I can't believe Sentai did what they did. Just look:

o84Wwhl.png

Disgraceful. Branduil's cover art must be some kind of error.

I love these. Would buy 5 copies.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Bluray though or gtfo.

I don't understand 99% of this thread.

But One Week Friends is pretty enjoyable.

Nobody understands 99% of this thread. SOme might get 2% or so. I read everything so I understand a whopping 4% of it.

I'm STILL reading KissxSis, this has been a ridiculously slow week, so much as to not even being fun to chill at work anymore, I need something to do so time can go faster >_>

It's been 8 hours of nothing already today and still one and a half to go.

I actually stay fairly busy for the 12 hour shifts. Any downtime Im posting on here or something but I can be really busy for several hours. The first hour goes by so fast I dont even notice it.

It's the Gravity of anime romcoms based on light novels.

Saika > Teacher > Sister > whatever.

Hopefully its written better than Gravity!

Gbraga

I actually stay fairly busy for the 12 hour shifts. Any downtime Im posting on here or something but I can be really busy for several hours. The first hour goes by so fast I dont even notice it.

Holy shit, cajun, is it a particularly busy time or do you work 12 hours all the time? That's way too much to be a routine, you need to rest >_<

You may actually be already dead.

Syrinx

Syrinx: Actually, what impressed me most about ep 11 was the stuff outside Honey's new stuff. It was a spectacle to be sure, but the show was on point otherwise. In my view, to be truly good a magical girl show has to handle both its light elements and its heavy elements well, and while HapCha hasn't shown its stuff on the heavy side properly yet, it's been making good moves.

I didn't really read too much of people's impressions since I hadn't seen it yet. I just noticed that Honey was getting a lot of love, and I do remember you saying it was a fantastic episode. And I generally agree on that balance of light and heavy stuff being what will set certain magical girl shows apart from others.

cajunator

Banned
Spice and Wolf BD Set arrived today along with And Yet the Town Moves DVD. What should I watch first?!?!

And Yet the Town moves is really cute and made by Shaft. The choice is clear.

Holy shit, cajun, is it a particularly busy time or do you work 12 hours all the time? That's way too much to be a routine, you need to rest >_<

You may actually be already dead.

I always work 12 hours, but since I arrive early and leave late its closer to 12.5 or 13 hours.
Theres a lot of micro-management involved. I make hundreds of decisions at night, so it keeps me focused. But it sucks when Ive worked my 84 hours and then I get a text message to work an additional 12 because someone on the other shift cant come in. So its like YOURE CUTTING IN ON MY PRECIOUS FREE TIME. The problem is that I cant do a lot the first day Im off cause Im too exhausted so I sleep through any anime I try to watch.

Is the second season of Mushi-shi going to be split-cour? I noticed today that MAL and Hummingbird list the series as only 12 episodes. I thought I read the rest of the manga would be adapted, meaning 24 episodes.

Gbraga

I always work 12 hours, but since I arrive early and leave late its closer to 12.5 or 13 hours.
Theres a lot of micro-management involved. I make hundreds of decisions at night, so it keeps me focused. But it sucks when Ive worked my 84 hours and then I get a text message to work an additional 12 because someone on the other shift cant come in. So its like YOURE CUTTING IN ON MY PRECIOUS FREE TIME. The problem is that I cant do a lot the first day Im off cause Im too exhausted so I sleep through any anime I try to watch.

Good lord, how you manage to be so positive and fun all the time? >_<

I'd be in a terrible mood everyday if I was in your place.

cajunator

Banned
Also, for a dispatcher, an 80-90 hour work week is pretty normal so we're all used to working those kinds of shifts. Some shifts go by and I think to myself, I cant believe how fast those 12 hours went by. Its a whole different perspective on things.

cajunator

Banned
Good lord, how you manage to be so positive and fun all the time? >_<

I'd be in a terrible mood everyday if I was in your place.

Generally I enjoy the work and look forward to going (up until I have to work extra days because I have my limits) but when its done I want to catch up on anime and putting it off an extra day does make me kind of sour. I wont be in the best mood tonight. I should be relaxing. I wanted to watch Madoka Rebellion tonight but thats out the window now till at least tomorrow night.

BluWacky

Is the second season of Mushi-shi going to be split-cour? I noticed today that MAL and Hummingbird list the series as only 12 episodes. I thought I read the rest of the manga would be adapted, meaning 24 episodes.

Japanese Wikipedia says that it is a split cour show, with the second half airing in October.

cajunator

Banned
Also, was there osmething wrong with the US version Psycho Pass bluray set? I see it on sale at FYE and kinda want it,. Its actually cheaper than online.

Anohana 9

I don't like how this guy is trying to cozy up with Anaru. She's sweet and I would like for this Jintan x Anaru thing to pay off.

But it's nice to see everyone believe Jintan. It was about time. Felt so bad for the guy until this episode. Now he seems pretty okay but now everyone else seems slightly messed up. Only a few episodes to go so hopefully they can start warping up some of these character arcs in the next few episodes.

Narag

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicle of the Heroic Knight 3

Looks like Parn is pretty famous in Flaim which is presumably due to events in the second novel. Think I read the playthrough progression properly and we're transitioning to Orson's party with Spark being foreshadowed as "being just like Parn at that age"

Similar ballroom scene to the OVA, thought I read in some of the materials I had that it was supposed to play out like this with Shiris after Parn's attention rather than Deedlit. Concludes the same way with the bumping into Kashue and Parn going to spar because he's not good enough for the women around him. Might go back and do a visual comparison later, might not!

Apparently Etoh is king of Valis now too
What in the fuck is up with that?

omake continues to deliver though :lol

Gbraga

I'm reading JP's twitter, and while I do think his opinion is way too extreme, I don't get why some people are getting angry over it and so bothered because he thinks Kill la Kill is garbage. Maybe they're afraid he's talking as Platinum Games, and not as JP Kellams?

Maybe JP hates it but Inaba loves it so much that they'll make a game anyway (of course it's not gonna happen, just to show that, at least when it comes to Platinum, employees are free to state their own opinion on things, doesn't matter what the company thinks)

DiGiKerot

AnoHana The Movie
On a technical level, I do wish I liked Tatsuyuki Nagai's choice of shows more than I actually do. This and AnoNatsu have such beautiful settings (and AnoHana has some really well directed scenes), and I hear such good things about the A Certain... series he's worked on, but the audience most of his shows target just isn't me :(

Something Something Token Jokey Xenoglossia Reference Something Something

Narag

I'm reading JP's twitter, and while I do think his opinion is way too extreme, I don't get why some people are getting angry over it and so bothered because he thinks Kill la Kill is garbage. Maybe they're afraid he's talking as Platinum Games, and not as JP Kellams?

Maybe JP hates it but Inaba loves it so much that they'll make a game anyway (of course it's not gonna happen, just to show that, at least when it comes to Platinum, employees are free to state their own opinion on things, doesn't matter what the company thinks)

It's because people identify with their tastes and an attack on something they like is akin to an attack on them.

cajunator

Banned

I dont have a problem with him hating Kill La Kill so much as his "all anime after Eva is shit" stance. So Yeah Im fucking with him on twitter.

But a lot people think Kill la Kill is garbage. I think its more like reality hitting them that the chances of their favourite franchise being made into a video game by Platinum is pretty much zero. I mean whose going to fund it and I doubt it will sell much considering that even when an anime is massively popular in the West, such as Naruto, the games iirc sell only around a million.

On another note: Majin Bone is a good show. Forget the awful CGI though.

Gbraga

It's because people identify with their tastes and an attack on something they like is akin to an attack on them.

I guess it makes sense since I don't mind when people actually attack me directly as well, so it's only natural I wouldn't share their frustration.

Still, no reason to get all up in arms like LET'S SHOW HIM HOW WRONG HE IS.

I dont have a problem with him hating Kill La Kill so much as his "all anime after Eva is shit" stance. So Yeah Im fucking with him on twitter.

Yeah, that was "eeeeehhhhhh"

But a lot people think Kill la Kill is garbage. I think its more like reality hitting them that the chances of their favourite franchise being made into a video game by Platinum is pretty much zero. I mean whose going to fund it and I doubt it will sell much considering that even when an anime is massively popular in the West, such as Naruto, the games iirc sell only around a million.

On another note: Majin Bone is a good show. Forget the awful CGI though.

I never had any hope of that happening at all. It's nice to dream about a Satsuki character action game, but Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is as close as we'll get.

Might as well just ask for Imaishi and Platinum working on a game together, it'd be much more doable to just hire a guy for the team to make a new IP like so many they already created.

cnet128

Banned
Black Bullet 2

A strong second episode. Masked man makes his return sooner than I expected and continues to be a pretty damn fabulous villain. We also get a look at the corruption in this society in the form of the widespread discrimination against the "cursed children", and it's just as rage-inducingly disgusting as you'd expect. Props to the MC for doing what he could to help, even if he did hesitate and almost end up being too late as a result.

We also get to meet more Initiators than just Enju this episode, and it's a little surreal seeing all these badass veteran fighter types partnered with these innocent-looking little girls. I was a little surprised to find that
even the masked man (who seems more than capable of defending himself single-handed) has an Initiator of his own, and his daughter no less, which is probably a heavy clue to his motivations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom