• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: 10 Years of mesmerizing photos from NASA’s Spitzer space telescope

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

For 10 years, NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has been helping scientists on Earth learn more about the mysterious objects hiding in our star-studded skies. On August 25, 2003, the telescope -- carrying a relatively small, 0.85-meter beryllium mirror -- launched from Cape Canaveral, FL. Since then, it's been trailing the Earth on its orbit around the sun, like NASA's Kepler spacecraft.

Spitzer stares at the heavens in infrared wavelengths, revealing the cold, distant, and dusty realms of the universe, normally invisible to eyes on Earth. In this gallery, ribbons of dust wind around massive stars, the cavities carved by hot, young stars open up like bottomless caverns, and the spiraling tendrils of a distant galaxy glisten behind a foreground nebula.

fiVcQ3U.jpg

Helix Nebula

What looks like an even more terrifying version of the Eye of Sauron is actually the Helix Nebula, about 700 light-years away in the constellation Aquarius. Here, the white dwarf star (visible in the very center), is the dead remnant of what was once a star like the sun. The bright red glow immediately around it is probably the dust kicked up by colliding comets that survived the death of their stellar host.

om8PCx0.jpg

Sombrero Galaxy

What appears to be one gorgeous galaxy is actually two: A thin disk galaxy (in red), embedded within a large elliptical galaxy (in blue), about 28 million light-years away in the constellation Virgo. Infrared images from Spitzer revealed the Sombrero galaxy's hidden double nature; previously, astronomers thought it was just a flat and lonely disk galaxy.

P1SlBVQ.jpg

Newborn Stars

Newborn stars peer out from beneath a blanket of dust in the Rho Ophiuchi dark cloud, located near the constellations Scorpius and Ophiuchus, about 407 light-years away from Earth.

DB7vNFs.jpg

The Wing of the Small Magellanic Cloud

We love this image because it looks as though a cosmic pair of T. rex jaws are about to gobble up some unsuspecting young stars. In reality, this is a region known as the "Wing" of the Small Magellanic Cloud, one of the Milky Way's satellite dwarf galaxies. Here, Chandra X-Ray Observatory data are in purple, optical data from the Hubble Space Telescope are shown in red, green and blue, and infrared data from the Spitzer Space Telescope are shown in red.

kwZ2q5k.jpg

M81

Messier 81, a relatively nearby galaxy that's just 12 million light-years distant, is a gorgeous spiral located the northern sky, in Ursa Major.

S
u49Xfmj.jpg

Sculptor Galaxy

The Sculptor Galaxy, 11.4 million light-years away, is seen in these three Spitzer images. The largest is a composite of the two smaller images, each observed during Spitzer's early "cold" mission. Visible in the southern sky, the galaxy is known as a starburst galaxy because its nucleus contains a region of profuse star formation.

YQdIzml.jpg

Zeta Ophiuchi

A giant star zooming through space at 54,000 miles per hour creates a bowshock, ripples that are the result of billowing stellar winds colliding with the dust ahead of it. About 370 light-years away, Zeta Ophiuchi is 80,000 times brighter than the sun; it would be one of the brightest stars in the sky, but it's invisible from Earth, obscured by dust and clouds.

ev0jyqY.jpg

Orion

A colony of hot, young stars lives in the Orion nebula, about 1,450-light years from Earth. This image was captured shortly after Spitzer's warm mission phase began.

6yJ98Qg.jpg

Bright Superbubble

Massive stars grow quickly and die young, exploding in radiant supernovae. A large cluster of these hot, young stars will generate stellar winds and shock waves that carve superbubbles into the fabric of their nurseries, like the ones seen here, about 160,000 light-years away in NGC 1929.

ZYfFGhP.jpg

Galactic Merger

The cores of two merging galaxies form what appear to be giant blue eyes, peering out from behind a swirling red mask. Galaxies NGC 2207 and IC 2163, located about 140 million light-years from Earth, began merging relatively recently -- about 40 million years ago. Eventually, the pair will form a giant cycloptic eye.

j4SuohA.jpg

Eta Carinae

Eta Carinae is a relatively nearby star, 10,000 light-years away, that is 100 times more massive than the sun. The star is blindingly bright, and blows violent amounts of energy into the dust around it. The Eta Carinae nebula normally looks like a dumbbell -- except in the infrared, where the effects of the whipping stellar winds are evident in the ragged and beaten-up clouds around the star.

Those are same crazy beautiful photos. I love space.

It blows my mind to think that these are the "close" galaxies, being thousands to millions of lightyears away. My mind melts thinking about what we aren't seeing....

Protein

Banned
Our closest neighboring galaxy might be fighting off a Tyranid invasion or come to complete enlightenment with happiness and galaxy-wide peace. We will never know.

Aren't all photos of space color corrected? As in, a little bit of this is definitely artists imagination..?

Yeah. They do use color correction but it's used to make sure that we can see the different gases and etc. Most of it is based on science (for example, the known chemical composition of those gases), not artist's imagination.

R2D4

Banned
Yeah. They do use color correction but it's used to make sure that we can see the different gases and etc. Most of it is based on science (for example, the known chemical composition of those gases), not artist's imagination.

The point is if you were in a ship looking at it, it wouldn't look like these pictures.

The point is if you were in a ship looking at it, it wouldn't look like these pictures.

True. It would also be almost impossible to see any of these scenes from a spacecraft without an instrument like this telescope, seeing as it's capturing scenes that can span lightyears across.

Raiden

Banned
Aren't all photos of space color corrected? As in, a little bit of this is definitely artists imagination..?

Yeah, thats the one thing bothering me when looking at these pictures. There are filters and stuff over it. Anyone have some pics to how stuff like this would look with the naked eye?

Row

Banned
Yeah, thats the one thing bothering me when looking at these pictures. There are filters and stuff over it. Anyone have some pics to how stuff like this would look with the naked eye?

oh that's easy, just turn off your screen

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Why does it have to be a ship, I've always wondered? What if you were on a space bike? I wonder what the helmet laws are like in space.

pr0cs

I am depressed that we humans, as a species, have not tried harder to escape the bonds of our planet and explore outer space more. Instead we're fixated on amassing gluttonous wealth and killing each other.
These pictures are amazing.

AGoodODST

I imagine it would look nothing like these images. These scenes are impressive because you see them in their entirety, which are usually light years across.

For example, I read that the Hubble captures uv, infrared, and visible spectrum of light. As far as I understand, the visible spectrum (in black and white) is captured through red, green, and blue filter separately. They then combine that those images with UV and infrared (which isn't visible for us humans) captures and use color correction to represent those things.

Row

Banned
I am depressed that we humans, as a species, have not tried harder to escape the bonds of our planet and explore outer space more. Instead we're fixated on amassing gluttonous wealth and killing each other.

We as a species have progressed a shit load given how brief a period of time we've been around

we just went to the moon 30 years ago in the 100,000 years of human existence. what the eff are you smoking?

I do hope that some day in the future humans will be off our planet and exploring the galaxy. I'm just sad that I won't live to see that day :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Our closest neighboring galaxy might be fighting off a Tyranid invasion or come to complete enlightenment with happiness and galaxy-wide peace. We will never know.

That is the truly mind blowing part of it all.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
And people think there's no way life exists outside of earth? Just look at how many fucking stars there are, and with each star, a group of planets.

SUPREME1

Banned
Need pics of Nibiru/Planet X

It's gonna kill us all in a few months. It'd be nice to see our killer before it destroys us.

Why won't NASA release its trajectory info? They've already lied about it's size.

They don't want panic.

fallout

For these Spitzer images, they have to apply some kind of colour to the images because it's all in infrared.

Here's a sketch someone did of M81:

XCdJy88.jpg

That would be roughly how your eye perceives it. YMMV depending on telescope aperture, seeing conditions, etc. And here's how Spitzer sees it:

kwZ2q5k.jpg

What's a cold and warm mission?

Need pics of Nibiru/Planet X

It's gonna kill is all in a few months. It's be nice to see our killer before it destroys us.

Why won't NASA release its trajectory stats. It's already lied about it's size.

They don't want panic.

Sarcasm?

luoapp

Naked eye? looks like this
___

Those are infrared pictures, human eye just can't see it.

gwarm01

A lot of times they are color corrected to show contrast, or to give color to gases that you can't see with the naked eye.

However, take a decent telescope and look at the Orion nebula and you will see something that looks just like their image. Gorgeous, sparkling stars illuminated a blue haze. That's legitimate.

The Pleiades also look just a beautiful in person as they do in NASA photos.

just 12 million light-years distant

This made me laugh. So if you tavel at the speed of light (it takes one third of a second to go around the earth at this speed) it will take only twelve million years to get there. So close!

Cerity

A lot less vivid.

You get some colourful lookers just through telescopes and such but they're using long exposure times.

With Orion through a telescope, you don't get any of that tan/pink/peach colour, just that near neon blue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And people think there's no way life exists outside of earth? Just look at how many fucking stars there are, and with each star, a group of planets.

No they're actually very ancient explosions from mobile suits that exploded from a very old war and we're just seeing them.

That insinuates that people think in the first place, I assure you their minds don't go that far.

Kanye West baby is more important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom