• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With all these Handheld Gaming PC / Steam Deck "Killers", 'Switch 2 better slap 👌

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Deck wasn't the Switch killer people touted despite coming so many years later and costing more and no Deck killer actually is one just because they may be a bit more powerful (while none do the delusional dream of next gen 4K games on the go) so naturally Switch 2 shouldn't follow their trend.

Last edited:

Romulus

Yeah steam isn't going anywhere. Not to mention many of those switch games run on the deck, along with thousands more that will never be on switch.

bender

What time is it?
I hope they continue to not chase power as it keeps development costs down and let's Nintendo have a bigger pipeline of games. As much as I love my Deck, it is way more cumbersome user experience so Nintendo doesn't really have much to worry about that regard. The handheld PC market is always going to be more niche.

lmimmfn

Nintendo lovers better keep their expectations in check, forget about the 4k 30FPS dream, not going to happen.

I'm glad the handheld market has taken off, I love my deck but would love it more if it was maybe 20% more powerful, I.e. hitting at lease 50FPS in newer titles. It so open though that it's fine for now.

DanielG165

None of them are actual competitors to the Switch, though, and I say this as someone who loves their Steam Deck. The Switch is the top dog handheld, despite being immensely underpowered, and the next generation model will absolutely sell like hotcakes unless Nintendo some how messes it up. These ultra powerful handheld PCs are for the enthusiast market; the Switch is for the everyone market.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo lovers better keep their expectations in check, forget about the 4k 30FPS dream, not going to happen.

I'm glad the handheld market has taken off, I love my deck but would love it more if it was maybe 20% more powerful, I.e. hitting at lease 50FPS in newer titles. It so open though that it's fine for now.

You guys make up this false narrative by constantly saying this. Nintendo fans are not talking about power and then you basically laugh at yourselves when it’s not true.. 😵‍💫

It doesn’t fucking matter and you know it. Just like it doesn’t fucking matter the Xbox Series X “slaps” harder than any console at the moment.

If it has great exclusive Nintendo games and doesn’t have a stupid fucking name like Switch U, it will do amazing.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The reverse could be said to be even more true - with all the competition from consoles and Switch 2 and now phones, the Deck 2 is going to face a hard time being as successful.

At least the Switch 2 will get hundreds of exclusives - the Deck 2 will have none, as usual. So it really lives or dies on its hardware.

Edit: Besides, have you seen how badly the Deck runs Alan Wake 2? It's definitely showing its age with the newest, most demanding games. And that screen! If the Deck 2 wants to be successful it is going to need to offer some improvement in that area, or at least find a way to be more easily modable.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

As much as I love my Steam Deck, the Nintendo Switch has one very big advantage over it: it supports physical copies of games. I can't own physical copies of my Steam games, but I have over 100 Switch games on my shelf, and I'll be able to play them after the servers are shut down.
I agree but kind of worry Switch 2 won’t have physical BC.

GHG

As much as I love my Steam Deck, the Nintendo Switch has one very big advantage over it: it supports physical copies of games. I can't own physical copies of my Steam games, but I have over 100 Switch games on my shelf, and I'll be able to play them after the servers are shut down.

There's a solution for you, do it yourself:

d5mnT7n.jpg
nJu4goe.jpg

Try Not To Laugh 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC Europe

Switch still selling more than every Switch killer combined… X2… in a single week… 2017 tech… Etc etc etc… So.. NO OP. Nintendo just need to slap a number 2 in the box and Mario Kart 9. Done.

Tsaki

Switch 2 will slap since it will have Nintendo 1st party. Unless of course you consider emulating/pirating those games on those other devices, which would be valid.

cireza

These are hardly "handheld" consoles. They look like these stupid mods made by fans "Look I made a portable PS2 from the original hardware".

Switch 2 simply has to be a proper handheld console and it will succeed by default.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Cracking Up Lol GIF

That’s cute. Nintendo doesn’t even have these PC handhelds in the rear mirror. The other thing is that it’s not the first time a Nintendo handheld has competition that is technologically superior and it still decimates them, since the first gameboy Nintendo is supposedly in trouble..

But Nvidia and not being attached to x86 nor a PC OS, it will punch way above its weight.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The current Switch isn't threatened by handheld gaming pc's. No reason to believe the next one will be, either. The people who made Mario Kart 8 a 50+ million seller aren't concerned about cutting edge tech. They just want to have fun.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Clearly the people who think this have no clue about the market and are under the impression that forum talk about Steamdeck is anyway indicative of how large its install base is. It sold 3 million in one year. The rest of the options will end up selling less than a million life time.

It’s all about audience, and the audience for steamdeck like right now is clearly residual when compared to the size of Switch audience.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Steam Deck has actually sold quite well for what it is, and by that I mean it's reached 2 million sold.

The Switch has sold 130 million.

Nintendo isn't even playing in the same league as Steam Deck and its competitors. Nintendo is playing in the NFL and Steam Deck is playing high school football.
Steam Deck is not playing in the same league as Switch, that is true, and I don’t think Steam Deck or other handheld PCs will compete with Switch or Switch 2.

That said, Nintendo still needs to take it seriously because Steam Deck can still take SOME of their market share. Switch used to be the only game in town if you wanted to play all the big 3rd party multiplat games + indie games on the go. That is no longer the case.

IAmRei

Ps4 spec (+ dlss if they could pull that as well) for me is more than enough. Nintendo games mostly are behind artstyle wise. I'm afraid if more spec could kill the price, the battery, the size or weight, also the heat.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Victor Omega thread? Victor Omega thread.

This game has sold 42,000,000 copies.

Switch_ACNH_ND0220_screen_01.png

jufonuk

not tag worthy
There are 3 certainties in life; death, taxes, and Nintendo turning a profit on hardware day 1.
Nintendo doesn't always get it right though.

I say this as a diehard Nintendo fan.

If they can do a 3DS to the switches DS. The I’ll be happy.

But if they Wii-U it. The cycle curse will be true again.

I hope the switch successor kicks ass. I really enjoy my switch. It’s a great little console. I can take it on flights. Etc. Enjoy a game or two. Then play games at home. On the same console. I don’t really give much stop for graphics and frames. So long as I can see what is going on and it runs ok. I can get over it. Gameplay is always the deciding factor for me.

Go_Ly_Dow

I've never been the biggest Nintendo fan (nothing personal, just not that into their 1st games except for whatever Monolith Soft put out), but I'll probably be getting a Switch 2 fairly early into its release cycle. I think the 3rd party support for it is going to be fantastic from the get go and much better than it is now.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Switch used to be the only game in town if you wanted to play all the big 3rd party multiplat games + indie games on the go. That is no longer the case.
GPD Win laughs so Switch not only never was the only one "in town" nor it can run other than a minuscule amount of big 3rd party games.

That part is fine. Issue is with getting GoG games to run on SteamDeck with Linux OS.
Issue that not existing as you can easily also run Windows on it

Last edited:

StereoVsn

GPD Win laughs so Switch not only never was the only one "in town" nor it can run other than a minuscule amount of big 3rd party games.

Issue that not existing as you can easily also run Windows on it
Might as well get something else like Ally then. You lose a lot of advantages when you run Windows on the deck.

Top Bottom