• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With all these Handheld Gaming PC / Steam Deck "Killers", 'Switch 2 better slap đź‘Ś

Tams

They don't really compete with each other much, and I say that as someone who has a handheld (just) gaming PC.

The Switch is really much thinner, lighter, and more portable. It has far better battery life. You can pop one in a bag and just about not notice it. A handheld gaming PC? Haha, no.

Not to mention the Switch and whatever will follow will be cheaper.

And then there are the first-party exclusives, which Nintendo are, honestly, hands down the best at.

Plus the 'it just werks/plug and play' of a console. No, the Steam Deck does not have that.

Last edited:
Victor Omega thread? Victor Omega thread.

This game has sold 42,000,000 copies.

Switch_ACNH_ND0220_screen_01.png
And I still play it each day.
OK but this is a joke post, right? Why feed the troll?
Not feed, mad. Switch has no competition. They need to be reminded.
Only fools think these pc handhelds are a threat to Nintendo. lol
I agree.

Deep down we all agree than to assume we don't.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
As much as I love my Steam Deck, the Nintendo Switch has one very big advantage over it: it supports physical copies of games. I can't own physical copies of my Steam games, but I have over 100 Switch games on my shelf, and I'll be able to play them after the servers are shut down.

Steam Deck is literally a PC. Last thing you need to worry is “servers shutting down”.

Dream-Knife

Banned
They're in a different market entirely.

Hell, I'd argue the steam deck is in another market from the win gdps and whatever flavor of the month handheld comes out running windows.

Tams

Steam Deck is literally a PC. Last thing you need to worry is “servers shutting down”.

But Steam itself is DRM, and on Steam Deck especially people buy on Steam.

Now, Steam's servers going down without the opportunity of being able to download your games first is low (still possible, who knows after Gabe goes).

Being locked out of your account or even banned? Certainly possible, and Valve can have shit support at times.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But Steam itself is DRM, and on Steam Deck especially people buy on Steam.

Now, Steam's servers going down without the opportunity of being able to download your games first is low (still possible, who knows after Gabe goes).

Being locked out of your account or even banned? Certainly possible, and Valve can have shit support at times.

If any game in my Steam library at any point in time becomes 'unavailable'... I don't care, I will obtain it through 'other means'. This is something that I would never worry about. I would be worried more that my cartridge stops working or hardware shits the bed.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Switch 2 will outsell big time unless some miracle happens for Valve. The real question is if Nintendo will even make a Switch 2 or if they are going to bungle it and go for some completely different concept

Top Bottom