• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Ragnarok looking like GOTY material, have Sony Santa Monica supplanted Naughty Dog as Sony’s best studio?

Who is Sony’s greatest studio?

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 109 37.2%
  • Insomniac

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Sony Santa Monica

Votes: 77 26.3%
  • Sucker Punch

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Guerilla

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Team Asobi

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Housemarque

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im not sure how Santa Monica has surpassed Naughty Dog when literally all they've made is God of War.

Lets see what they do with a New IP. Naughty Dog has given us Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted and The Last of Us... Theres levels to this shit!

They're now trying something new with a standalone Multuplayer game. And then you know that New IP they make is going to be fucking incredible too.

Their output (quantity wise) is only matched by Insomniac.

SSM releases a game like every 4-6 years. In that time ND will drop 2 or even 3 games.

Their games have a level of polish unlike anyone else in the industry, and they are the absolute top tier when it comes to graphics, tech and animation. Nobody is touching their motion matching, which yes, does improve gameplay.

They are easily Sony's best studio, and the best in the industry. People are just focused on recency bias.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Guerilla, SSM, Naughty Dog, Insomniac. All at the top imo. They'll feed off each other and just get better imo.

Sony really has something special with these development teams.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'll probably prefer Ragnarök over TLOU2, but no one is touching ND regardless of the moaning about how the narrative went.

I'm hoping Spiderman 2 is ambitious enough to reach those heights because of how long it's taking, but that's probably just because they were busy with the other projects and not because they've been spending 5 years making it.
Spider-Man is targeting native 4k if the first teaser means anything. They will do what they always do and release a well made but ultimately forgettable adventure.

Hell, id rank sucker punch over insomniac simply because of how ambitious GoT felt.

Sony Santa Monica is a great studio but it’s still missing something which is having a different IP.
It feels weird how in almost 20 years God of War is the only thing they have created.

All other Sony studios have manages to create multiple successful IPs over the years. Even Guerrila Games.

Technically they are almost on par with Naughty Dog but not quite.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Best Sony studio is Studio Asobi.

Naughty Dog has been shit for years and Insomniac makes fun, but very forgettable games. Can't speak on Santa MOnica until I can play GoW: R.
Disgusted What Are You Doing GIF by Laff

Where do you even start with that bollocks...

Sony is in the enviable position of having a shit load of top tier studios, choosing whose best is like choosing who your favourite kid is ffs, they all bring something unique to the table but for me personally I've gotten the most enjoyment from the Uncharted & Last of Us franchises and Guerrilla Games Forbidden West constantly melts my eyeballs and now I can fucking fly!?!

Guerilla, SSM, Naughty Dog, Insomniac. All at the top imo. They'll feed off each other and just get better imo.

Sony really has something special with these development teams.
It’s also been interesting to witness studios like Sucker Punch getting there. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a huge upgrade from Sony Bend as well.

Most of their studios are evolving so much though. I would never imagine a game like Returnal from Housmarque. Or Bluepoint doing an original IP.

Sony actually knows how to grow their studios post-acquisition.

Caio

I love all, cannot say which one is best; but if you ask me the Top 3(my taste), I would say Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and GG.

Lupin25

I’d say SSM might match them in terms qualitative output… but it’s also known Naughty Dog’s technical expertise has influenced and permeated throughout a lot of Sony’s development teams.

It’s debateable, but I’d say ND for now.

If Ragnarok's the same quality as the first one they're a very distant 3rd behind Naughty Dog and Insomniac. Will have to see if it's a massive improvement or not

Naughty Dog is still king.

tlou2_dogs.gif

But SMS is very close.

Feels like right now the top studios sitting at the big boy table are Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla and Insomniac.

These studios i think can rise up the ranks prettty quickly depending on their next releases, Bend Studio, London Studio, Housemarque and Team Asobi.

I think its gonna take Pixelopus, and Bluepoint a couple of good releases before they make their way in there. Media Molecule should technically be at the big boy table but they’ve wasted so much time and resources with Dreams. All their games are highly rated though. The problem with dreams is its too much about the engine and not enough about getting into games and playing.

I hope their next game is something more gameplay centric like LBP was, maybe they can follow the Minecraft legends/dungeons template if they want to stick with user generated content

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I think ND, SSM and IG are all a tier of their own.

But Naughty Dog is still the apex.
Their games are of the highest quality, insane levels of polish and technical achievement and they've done multiple releases per generation. (PS3: U1,2,3,TLOU. PS4: U4,UTLL,TLOU2)

SSM quality wise, are probably near ND, but they are slower at releasing games (PS3: GOW3, GOWA. PS4: GOW2018)
IG generally release the most games of the lot, but their quality is a bit less than the other two imo. But the fact they've already released 2 PS5 games, and have 2 more in the pipeline is quite impressive.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Naughty Dog is still king.

tlou2_dogs.gif

But SMS is very close.

Feels like right now the top studios sitting at the big boy table are Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla and Insomniac.

These studios i think can rise up the ranks prettty quickly depending on their next releases, Bend Studio, London Studio, Housemarque and Team Asobi.

I think its gonna take Pixelopus, and Bluepoint a couple of good releases before they make their way in there. Media Molecule should technically be at the big boy table but they’ve wasted so much time and resources with Dreams. All their games are highly rated though. The problem with dreams is its too much about the engine and not enough about getting into games and playing.

I hope their next game is something more gameplay centric like LBP was, maybe they can follow the Minecraft legends/dungeons template if they want to stick with user generated content
god that combat is untouchable

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
For me, it'll probably take at least 1 or 2 more amazing games after Ragnarok for me to put SSM on the same level of ND

Disclaimer: I didn't play God of War 1 or God of War 2

Disgusted What Are You Doing GIF by Laff

Where do you even start with that bollocks...

Sony is in the enviable position of having a shit load of top tier studios, choosing whose best is like choosing who your favourite kid is ffs, they all bring something unique to the table but for me personally I've gotten the most enjoyment from the Uncharted & Last of Us franchises and Guerrilla Games Forbidden West constantly melts my eyeballs and now I can fucking fly!?!

If you like mediocrity…

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
We'll have a better idea of how close SSM is getting after we actually play Ragnarok

Killed the franchise? Lol if they released a TLOU Part III trailer with Ellie fighting off some new infected in next gen graphics it would set the internet on fire

TLOU2 killed the franchise by scoring a 93 on mc and becoming the most awarded game of all time, getting a big budget hbo adaptation, and a AAA multiplayer spinoff series.

Factions trailer is gonna have people spinning in circles

Last edited:

Banned
in my eyes Naughty Dog is one of their worst studios... so yeah, they left them behind eons ago, just like 90% of their other studios.

Naughty Dog doesn't design videogames, they design casual fodder

SLB1904

Banned
As great gow Ragnarok looks. Tlous 2 still mighty impressive. Hell Uncharted 4 and lost legacy still unmatched by 90% of the games released since

sendit

Imagine fighting over who the top studio is within the same umbrella due to each all releasing quality products.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Insomniac says what.
Hands down. Their ability to work across genres and styles at the quality level they're able to hit every time? Sony couldn't have hoped for more when they snagged them. Unbelievable output.

Last edited:

SSfox

While i always loved ND, specially during PS123. Tho Santa Monica was always my favorite Sony studio with PoDi.

jeffyjaixx

Insomniac has quickly risen the rankings and can be argued as their top studio right now based off of how many quality titles they have managed to release this past decade.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Insomniac has now become a comic book game studio and ND only churns out Woke of Us garbage these days and SSM really is only known for GOW.

I think we need to see some real PS5 only titles from all of them to really talk about this fairly. We have Insomniac with the PS5 Ratchet that was outstanding so we need to see more of that (PS5 only titles)

HTK

Banned
Easy. ND.

Naughty Dog has the longest track record for success and it's clear they've been the blueprint for the rest of the studios. They are all coming in their own lately which is nice.

And yet the games are nowhere near as ambitious or genre defining as GOW and TLOU2 are they?

I like the insomniac output, but its clear they just want to make simple almost basic games with AAA production values. Ratchet shouldve been a far more ambitious game than it ended up being. Both in terms of visuals and game design. Spiderman is great but its no Arkham.

They need to push themselves and their game design to do innovative things no one is doing. Tying SSD portal switching to setpieces is a perfect example of Insomniac taking the easy route.

I don't think ND is doing anything more groundbreaking in terms of game design.

GoW is pretty ambitious though.

Justin9mm

Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Insomniac are no doubt the Top 3.. Not necessarily in that order.

I love love loved TLOU2, even though I'm still critical of the pacing and some story events of that game, it was still a masterpiece to me overall. But GOW 2018 was my fav game of the generation and I think Ragnarok may top that so based on this I think Santa Monica are No. 1 imo. I also really like Corey Barlog so that helps lol.

Even though I love TLOU franchise and really like Uncharted, I think Insomniac have more variety/ they can produce quality games much quicker and so I think they may just come in at close second.

But they are all good in their own right and this is what makes PlayStation a popular platform. My god, if Xbox had this list of quality devs banging out Exclusives like Sony, especially with GamePass, they would be dominating. I have said it before and I'll say it again, Xbox somehow have no idea how to make good games. It's like they have no idea what a good game looks like. The fact that you have to buy up all the mainstream publishers to get them says it all. And yet we are still waiting for them!

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Ive enjoyed SSM output more over the last 4 years but i dont think you can crown one like that.

The total body of work needs to be looked at. One thing about all of them is most of them are capable of putting out games like these.

Insomniac has been on fire, I also cant wsit for Wolverine.

odhiex

They are all good, so I don't care the debate on who's better than the other.

For me, my top 3 favorite PS4 games are in order:
1) The Witcher 3
2) God of War
3) The Last of Us Part II

I still chosen Naughty Dog because it's critical receptions. But CDPR and Santa Monica did very well.

Hmmm Naughty Dog ruled the ps3 generation but I was disappointed with both uncharted 4 and last of us part 2 so I can't in good confidence vote for them.

Sony santa monica made the best game last generation but there output is slow. Still they appear to have done it again so on current form I voted for them.

Insomniacs output is crazy and they might be generating more revenue than anyone. Gotta to consider them. There's game are good but not great yet ..

Guerilla. Zero dawn was amazing but I was a little disappointed with forbidden west although It was still great. Technically they maybe top of list that includes naughty Dog.

Sucker punch. Loved infamous didn't care for Ghost meh at the moment.

Housemarque. Best Ps5 game to date The rising star watch out for these guys..

Sony Bend. Days Gone bored me to tears they have alot to prove.

bender

What time is it?
Of the "summer blockbuster studios", Insomniac's games click with me the most. I really like Team Asobi but there sample size is fairly small. Housemarque make the most mechanically interesting games.

Top Bottom