• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Ragnarok looking like GOTY material, have Sony Santa Monica supplanted Naughty Dog as Sony’s best studio?

Who is Sony’s greatest studio?

• Naughty Dog

Votes: 109 37.2%
  • Insomniac

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Sony Santa Monica

Votes: 77 26.3%
  • Sucker Punch

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Guerilla

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Team Asobi

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Housemarque

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters
Yes. Undoubtedly. TLOU2 was an incredible disappointment as Druckman litteraly killed Sony franchise in order to "subvert expectations".
TIL that huge sales success, near universal GOTY praise, massive HBO television series adaption, inevitable 3rd entry on the way = “literally killed”

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
in my eyes Naughty Dog is one of their worst studios.
This is just stupid.

Regardless of how you feel about last of us.

They are responsible for Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, and Uncharted.

All 3 franchises are iconic and helped grow the Playstation brand worldwide.

HBO is now going to make millions off The Last of Us, and they are expanding into stand alone multiplayer offerings.

"Sonys worst studio"... lol

Last edited:
I didn't like what i read =/= written inconsistent
Your reply makes zero sense. What does me not liking how Naughty Dog does writing has to do with reading? I am talking about their storyline.

Last of Us 2 Story and Ending was horrendous compared to Last of Us 1. Meanwhile, God of War 2018 ending versus God of War Ragnarok ending, much far superior sequel and properly done.

Last edited:
Imagine fighting over who the top studio is within the same umbrella due to each all releasing quality products.

Yeah, no company out there has the number of quality studios and we're about to see how they all evolve in the next 5 years.

The studios support each other, but they definitely compete with each other, and you can see the gains that some of them are making like Sucker Punch.

I say it a lot but the evolution of Naughty Dog from Uncharted to the Last of Us makes them the top dog, no pun intended.

We'll see if other studios can make similar evolutions into multiple IP and sustained franchises.

Guerrilla seems to have taken a step backward with Horizon 2 and no longer have output any content in Killzone.

Sucker Punch has only made one game of this level in Ghost of Tsushima.

Santa Monica is working on another IP, so we'll see how successful they are with that.

Insomniac is working on Spider-Man and Wolverine, we'll see if they're able to expand and improve on the formula in Spider-Man/MM and if they can branch out with Wolverine.

Media Molecule might become the biggest (revenue) if they port Dreams to PC and can monetize it.

SLB1904

Banned
Your reply makes zero sense. What does me not liking how Naughty Dog does writing has to do with reading? I am talking about their storyline.

Last of Us 2 Story and Ending was horrendous compared to Last of Us 1. Meanwhile, God of War 2018 ending versus God of War Ragnarok ending, much far superior sequel and properly done.
Tlous isn't done yet

Also horrendous lol hyperbole much

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us (new IP) Uncharted 4, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and The Last of Us Part II were all successful games. The Last of Us multiplayer should be a huge game.

SMS is great, but they'll need to do a lot more to become the best studio.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Am I the only one slightly confused by people asking if a developer has become one of the greatest in the business based on pre-release hype for a game they haven't even played?

Last edited:
Yes. Undoubtedly. TLOU2 was an incredible disappointment as Druckman litteraly killed Sony franchise in order to "subvert expectations".
Poor Naughty Dog that just released the remake, will release the same remake on PC, TLOU2 Director's Cut later, Factions...all flopping together :messenger_crying:
Poor HBO with a huge flop on their hands starting in January as well :messenger_crying:

Now seriously...you do realize that this IP probably hasn't peaked yet right?

Tlous isn't done yet

Also horrendous lol hyperbole much
Doesn't matter if TLOU is done or not, the whole thing of TLOU 2 just being a revenge plot from start to finish is abysmal. And once you do get to Abby you let her get away multiple times and then spare her at the end. Shit writing, zero consistency and too much virtue signaling as well for the sake of virtue signaling. Don't even try to deny it. Gameplay is great, but story is utter garbage.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Doesn't matter if TLOU is done or not, the whole thing of TLOU 2 just being a revenge plot from start to finish is abysmal. And once you do get to Abby you let her get away multiple times and then spare her at the end. Shit writing, zero consistency and too much virtue signaling as well for the sake of virtue signaling. Don't even try to deny it. Gameplay is great, but story is utter garbage.
So basically you want a straightforward, linear story. And anything that goes in a different direction than what YOU wanted is "shit writing". Aren't you a writer yourself? How can you think like that?

TLOU 2 is hardly the only thing that does this in a plot of revenge.

i-saw-the-devil-53f87c77166f1.jpg

Ever seen this? It has the same cat and mouse theme as TLOU 2, killer is caught, let go, multiple times. But its a goddamn masterpiece. Possibly one of the best revenge plots ever.
You would probably think its shit because its not linear or straightforward.....

Last edited:
Wrong

Dorohedoro

It's less of a revenge plot and more about obsession and grief. And virtue signaling? :messenger_sleeping:

Oh and to the answer the OP: Naughty Dog is still their best studio.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't think ND is doing anything more groundbreaking in terms of game design.

GoW is pretty ambitious though.
Well game design hasn’t evolved since 2005 so i agree.

Gow’s hub world game design is basically metroidvania. Tomb Raider did it 5 years before gow came out. A game barlog was briefly involved in.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Revenge plot = abysmal?

That's the plot of a lot of movies and video games today. The story is very consistent and I'm sure many points of the game flew over people's head, which is why they think nothing makes sense.

Ozzie666

They can't keep making GOW can they? Really would like to see them tackle something else, either different setting, new main character or genre. Just to flex their muscle. Unless they truly just love this franchise. But GOW direction and improvement, whilst not for everyone, is a piece of art. But how many times can you do the same thing.

Revenge plot = abysmal?

That's the plot of a lot of movies and video games today. The story is very consistent and I'm sure many points of the game flew over people's head, which is why they think nothing makes sense.
Let me guess - the "symbolism" of TLOU 2 was that you don't have to be so hateful towards other people and spare them right even after they kill your loved ones? Abby killing Joel made sense because he killed her father. Ellie didn't kill Abby even though she should have and had every right too. Let me know how you feel if someone kills your mother and father and if you spare them and be like "oh, it okie! I understand we are besties now! Muh symbolis!!!!1111" yeah genius symbolism. No fuck off with that, shit ending, shit story. 1st game had amazing story but 2nd game disrespects the 1st. Why did Joel all of a sudden decided to help random people in TLOU 2? Real Joel from TLOU 1 would never ever trust anyone. Instead, he just walks himself into a fucking ambush like the idiot he is and goes against his morals. Very inconsistent character writing.

Thief1987

They can't keep making GOW can they? Really would like to see them tackle something else, either different setting, new main character or genre. Just to flex their muscle. Unless they truly just love this franchise. But GOW direction and improvement, whilst not for everyone, is a piece of art. But how many times can you do the same thing.
Balrog worked on something during Ragnarok's development, should be a new IP. At least after finishing 2018's GOW he said that he want to try something new. Will see how it ends up this time, SSM already tried to make a new IP after GOW3, but it was a big failure for them

Last edited:

hinch7

SMS have always been one of SIE best studios.

Apart from GOW: Ascension. These guys have been upping their game nearly every new entry.

Razvedka

Banned
Naughty Dog isn't their top in my book. Way too pretentious, and the game style isn't in my bag.

Santa Monica is obviously swinging for the fences right now, but when I look at the complete corpus of work by insomniac I have to give them the nod here. They've quality and quantity compared to Santa Monica. In my opinion anyway.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think Sony Santa Monica has surpassed Naughty Dog, but I think Insomniac is the real great. They're able to turn out a game a 9/10 game every year, and their games while maybe not the artistic critical bait of some other Sony franchises, are just plain fun.

Am I the only one slightly confused by people asking if a developer has become one of the greatest in the business based on pre-release hype for a game they haven't even played?

I don't think Santa Monica is the best, but that's a pretty silly way of looking at it.

Santa Monica has a pretty long track record at this point. 5 Previous God of War games before it, all well received with the exception of Ascension. The reviews confirm the maintenance of that quality.

God of War - 94
God of War 2 - 93
God of War 3 - 92
God of War Ascension - 80
God of War - 94
God of War Ragnarok - 94

That's a level of consistency over nearly two decades that the idea that people have to play this game when reviews already confirm continued consistency is pretty obtuse.

That their worst game is an 80 is a stunning feat.

Power Pro

Please don't get mean to me, but seriously...why is this looking like GOTY material? it honestly looks exactly the same as the 2018 game, and I'm sorry, but doing the same thing twice does not come across as being worthy of game of the year to me.

Not that my opinion matters. Over the years, every game I love or would consider best game of the year is not even considered in any lists. Why we put so much stock in what some critics (who we often tell each other we shouldn't listen to) say is game of the year is beyond me.

Please don't get mean to me, but seriously...why is this looking like GOTY material? it honestly looks exactly the same as the 2018 game, and I'm sorry, but doing the same thing twice does not come across as being worthy of game of the year to me.

Not that my opinion matters. Over the years, every game I love or would consider best game of the year is not even considered in any lists. Why we put so much stock in what some critics (who we often tell each other we shouldn't listen to) say is game of the year is beyond me.

You’re asking why the sequel to a previous GOTY winning game that does everything bigger and better should be considered for GOTY?

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Currently yeah to me they are. If I could play the next unannounced game from any Sony studio it would definitely be Santa Monica.

I don't like the Druckmann era of Naughty Dog.

Insomniac is good and very efficient but to me their games are always in a "great but not amazing" tier. Its a studio that consistently puts out games I'd personally rank as a 8/10 but never something thats a 9+. Guerilla is in a similar boat

Last edited:

ajanke

The top 3 feel so good. I can't pick because they're all so high quality and I don't hate or dislike much of then sony exclusives.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They both tell great stories but go about how they tell those stories in different ways.

I'd argue Insomniac is their best studio once all things are considered.

Well game design hasn’t evolved since 2005 so i agree.

Gow’s hub world game design is basically metroidvania. Tomb Raider did it 5 years before gow came out. A game barlog was briefly involved in.

This is true, but to me GoW’s design is larger, more diverse, with better combat and huge set piece moments.

ND design is highly cinematic focused and all you can do is move in one direction (linear), with very limited combat or gameplay diversity.

Insomniac games are more lighthearted and a tad less cinematic heavy, but their quality and efficiency more than make up for it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GOW has better combat than any naughty dog game and it doesnt seem like they butchered the writing with ragnarok (unlike drunkman's disasterpiece TLOU2) so yeah they're better than Naughty Dog

Top Bottom