• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Rare coming back in a big way recently, what do you think they are doing next?

RK128

Hello guys :D.

With the recent launch of Rare Replay alongside the E3 2015 announcement of Sea of Thieves, heavy hints at a new Battletoads coming and reports that Rare has four development barns/studios/houses/ect, they have a lot coming in the future. Its fantastic seeing them back after being dormant since 2009 :').

With all of that, what do you guys think they are going to do next? More cross-development projects like Killer Instinct X1 (Iron Galaxy/Double Helix X Rare), Conker Project Spark (Project Spark studio X Rare) and cameo content like the Battletoads stage/fights in Shovel Knight X1?

Rare themselves making new games (with two out of their four studios making things; Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay currently) like a reboot of Banjo or Battletoads?

Edit: Here is a post that helps answer why I made this thread to being with.

I guess I made this thread a year too early with all the good points you guys are making; they haven't release Sea of Thieves yet (so we have no idea if they can make 'big' games anymore) and we have no footage of the likely new Battletoads to judge anything off of.

I'm just happy they are doing something they want to as from 2008/2009-2011/2012, they were forced onto the Kinect and many, many great prototypes were scrapped :(.

Just take a look at Rare's Unseen 64 page; 16+ pages of scrapped ideas, games and concepts from the Xbox and 360 era shut down for various reasons and its a shame they couldn't make the games they really wanted to make.

That is why I'm so happy with them now; they got a new logo showing hope for the studio (very similar to the look from their 90's era), working on big game again in decades (last big project for them was Nuts & Bolts) and celebrating their legacy through Rare Replay.

I might be a bit nostalgic for their good ol' days but I am really looking forward to their future products.

Here are a few ideas I had in my head about this topic since Rare Replay came out :).
-Banjo & Kazooie developed by Rare: This would be a great way to regain trust with fans of old school Rareware if they really nail the gameplay that made Banjo 1 and 2 so special :). Nuts and Bolts was a great game but not the game many expected, so them moving back to what made the original game so great alongside playing with the power of the X1 (larger worlds, expansive transformations, gameplay gimmicks, ect) could be really awesome :D. And with Yooka-Laylee on the horizon, Rare must have an itch to have some friendly competition with their friends at Playtonic ;).
-Perfect Dark developed by 343 Industries X Rare: This would not only be a great way to revive the IP but also give Rare some experience making shooters (they haven't made one in years), giving 343 a break from making Halo (with not being a great time, with Halo Wars 2 not being developed by them coming next year) and giving Microsoft a great shooter franchise to space out Halo and Gears releases. 343 had done a good job with the Halo series right now and it would be interesting seeing them use Halo's open level designs with some spy gadgets, some inventive level designs and more to make a really fun shooter :).
-Battletoads developed by Rare X Yatch Club Games/WayForward: This IS coming with all the hints we have been getting since the X1 launch (Phil wearing Battletoads shirts, commenting on the series a few times, their cameo in Shovel Knight, and Rash being a playable fighter in KI Season 3). The question is how Battletoads will come back. I'm leaning toward a game that takes what made the NES and Arcade version so special while adding some new elements to the mix. I don't think Rare is the only team on this; I expect this to be another Killer Instinct situation where Rare oversees another team make the project. In that case, Yatch Club and WayForward are great picks as the former made a great platformer last year that has that classic 8-Bit charm while the latter is very experience making platformers (Shantae, Ducktails Remastered) and beat 'em ups (Double Dragon Neon).
-Kameo 2 developed by Rare: With Rare Replay giving us something about this sadly scrapped project, I just want to see it come back :(. New transformations, larger world to explore, darker elements making the combat stronger alongside adding stealth into the mix and all the while having that classic Rare charm that we all expect from the studio :). Hope this happens someday.....

If another topic like this exists already, feel free to lock it mods. Otherwise, what games from Rare or using Rare IP do you guys want to see in the future :D?

RK128

reboot of conker's twelve tales

That would be a really interesting idea; presenting the 'lighter' side of Conker before he became the way he was in Bad Fur Day :D.

The game would look amazing with the X1 hardware too and I could see Insomniac (using the Spyro-inspired gameplay to be a inspiration) or Sanzaru (did great work with Sly 4) helping Rare out with that :D.

kadotsu

Banned
They created all that destruction tech for Crackdown 3. It would be a shame if we would only get one game where you destroy buildings. Rare just needs to think of a reason to destroy buildings in a certain path.

Drago

Battletoads seems pretty obvious at this point. After all the relentless teasing/cameos recently I'd be shocked if it didn't come to fruition.

Honestly I just want them to continue pursuing new IPs and new ideas and not focus solely on reviving older IP. So many awesome looking ideas and prototypes were shown off in Rare Replay. I'm glad they're making stuff like Sea of Thieves. If they do bring some IPs back though, I hope Banjo and Viva Piñata are at the top of their list.

Perfect Dark is due big time. It's been pretty much 10 years since PDZ came out. And that came out only 5 years after Perfect Dark.

I don't know if Rare came back "in a big way", it certainly feels like they want us to think that...but I'm not sure. I've always loved RARE, but I kind of don't want a first person pirate MMO from them, Battletoads was always kind of awful to me as well.
I'd be 100% on board for a new Banjo game taking full advantage of the X1. Rare's games, even post Nintendo, looked incredible for the platform. Conker's Bad Fur day reloaded, for any problems it has still looks good and that's and Xbox game. BK:N&B also looked really good outside of some questionable character designs.

LewieP

Some Kinect nonsense whilst Microsoft farms out the ip they got from the Rare acquisition to other more capable studios.

Edit: Oh in addition to Kinect nonsense they will probably make some Xbox One/Windows 10 F2P nonsense.

They created all that destruction tech for Crackdown 3. It would be a shame if we would only get one game where you destroy buildings. Rare just needs to think of a reason to destroy buildings in a certain path.

Hrmmmmm, there must be something they could think of.

I definitely think we're getting a new Battletoads game. MS has been pushing it in a big way.

Rare Replay spoiler
Kevin Bayliss suggests they should make a new Battletoads game at the end of the "Making of Battletoads" video.

Ashtar

Blast corps 2?

RK128

Battletoads seems pretty obvious at this point. After all the relentless teasing/cameos recently I'd be shocked if it didn't come to fruition.

Honestly I just want them to continue pursuing new IPs and new ideas and not focus solely on reviving older IP. So many awesome looking ideas and prototypes were shown off in Rare Replay. I'm glad they're making stuff like Sea of Thieves. If they do bring some IPs back though, I hope Banjo and Viva Piñata are at the top of their list.

I want some of those scrapped prototypes to come back to life too :'(. So many can be found at Unseen 64, so I would love any of those to come back from the dead :D.

Really looking forward to learning more about Sea of Thieves, as that really seems to be a modern version of their goals with Project Dream coming into reality :').

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't agree with the statement that they're coming back in a big way. At this point they're merely letting us know they exist beyond a Kinect or XBone avatar type of way.

I definitely think we're getting a new Battletoads game. MS has been pushing it in a big way.

Rare Replay spoiler
Kevin Bayliss suggests they should make a new Battletoads game at the end of the "Making of Battletoads" video.

Suggests? They haven't been coy about it at all. It would more surprising if there wasn't a Battletoads game in development.

RK128

I don't know if Rare came back "in a big way", it certainly feels like they want us to think that...but I'm not sure. I've always loved RARE, but I kind of don't want a first person pirate MMO from them, Battletoads was always kind of awful to me as well.
I'd be 100% on board for a new Banjo game taking full advantage of the X1. Rare's games, even post Nintendo, looked incredible for the platform. Conker's Bad Fur day reloaded, for any problems it has still looks good and that's and Xbox game. BK:N&B also looked really good outside of some questionable character designs.

The way I look at it is that why did Rare Replay even come out? Why are they making Sea of Thieves?

The former would have never happened a few years ago while the latter really seems like a passion project that Rare really wants to work on; Rare has the respect form Microsoft they should of had years ago and I can't wait to see Rare come back because of that :D.

RK128

Is this the same Rare studios from the N64 days or is just Rare by name?

From what I understand, a number of people from the DKC days are still at Rare (despite a few of them moving to Playtonic last year) and they employed a lot of people in recent years with experience with AAA console development (I think they started that in....2013 before the X1's launch).

The Conker team is gone, the Perfect Dark team left years ago (forming Free Radical and latter Cryteck)...... Other then that, I'm not too sure honestly :l.

I absolutely think all those cameos and references in the past few years are meant to be hinting at a big new Battletoads.

I'd prefer a Banjo-Threeie tho

amnesiac

Perfect Dark reboot with the amount of love that the original game had put into it. :)

Battletoads would be a bummer.

orochi91

Eh?

How is Rare coming back?

Sea of Thieves hasn't released yet and could still be shit.

Other than that, there was a collection of old titles.

Is this the same Rare studios from the N64 days or is just Rare by name?

I imagine folks are hoping for the N64 Rare, but I don't see what they've done to give anyone that impression lol

EBE

Perfect Dark. free to play, multiplayer only. cartoony graphics like the old PDZ artwork. using Kinect sports rivals' character creator.

LiK

It'll be a new Battletoads.

Phil wore a Battletoads t-shirt at a presser. They were guests in Shovel Knight. Rash is in KI. Rereleased on Rare Replay.

Kinda obvs, no?

A new huge arena Kart game with awesome tracks

A new open-world platformer with different action-adventure explorer elements. I love to explore

A (Spy/operative?) FPS thats mostly set in indoor environments. Return of awesome corridors. IDC if its GoldenEye/007 or a new Dark.

Betty

Banned
Rare is back?

All i see is them holding onto past glories.

Yet to see any actual bona fide classics or greats from the company since they went to Microsoft.

Only Grabbed by the Ghoulies felt like vintage Rare, and that was still pretty mediocre.

The pirate MMO is pretty much the last thing any Rare fan was asking for so I don't see how they're back at all.

When they make Banjo 3 (which they don't even want to make) and it turns out good, then they might be back.

Lingitiz

I just hope Sea of Thieves is great. I feel like the best thing they could do is just go forward with new IP and try to reestablish their brand as one of quality and talent. Going back to old IP and trying to recapture glory of those games will always leave some subsection of people unhappy, as cool as that would be if they did it right.

Part of me hopes that Rare Replay is both them acknowledging their history in a fun way and putting it behind them to do cool new stuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't necessarily know they're coming back in a big way.

To be honest, this years rare push feels more like a rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated type deal.
Perfect Dark is due big time. It's been pretty much 10 years since PDZ came out. And that came out only 5 years after Perfect Dark.

scanners.gif

Crayolan

It's a little early to say they're coming back in a big way. Let's wait until they actually release some games.

robotrock

Banned
Eh?

How is Rare coming back?

Sea of Thieves hasn't released yet and could still be shit.

Other than that, there was a collection of old titles.

Even if Sea of Thieves is garbage, that doesn't dismiss the fact that Rare is coming back in a big way recently. The last game they released that wasn't a Kinect title was Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts in 2008. Now in 2015, they released a collection celebrating Rare and their original franchises and games, as well as the fact they're seemingly doing a big "real" game again with Sea of Thieves. They are certainly coming back into the spotlight.

Conker Live & Reloaded: Uncut Remaster edition where they uncensor everything and give you the option between N64 or Xbox graphics at 1080/60.

Realistically, Rare could have some Banjo related project in the works after Battletoads and tease it for the longest time. Even going far as collaborate with Playtonic in putting Banjo and Kazooie as playable characters in the Xbox One version of the Yooka-Laylee.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What has you saying Rare is back in a big way? They put out a nice retro collection I guess but Sea of Thieves is still a huge question mark.

RK128

I guess I made this thread a year too early with all the good points you guys are making; they haven't release Sea of Thieves yet (so we have no idea if they can make 'big' games anymore) and we have no footage of the likely new Battletoads to judge anything off of.

I'm just happy they are doing something they want to as from 2008/2009-2011/2012, they were forced onto the Kinect and many, many great prototypes were scrapped :(.

Just take a look at Rare's Unseen 64 page; 16+ pages of scrapped ideas, games and concepts from the Xbox and 360 era shut down for various reasons and its a shame they couldn't make the games they really wanted to make.

That is why I'm so happy with them now; they got a new logo showing hope for the studio (very similar to the look from their 90's era), working on big game again in decades (last big project for them was Nuts & Bolts) and celebrating their legacy through Rare Replay.

I might be a bit nostalgic for their good ol' days but I am really looking forward to their future products.

Mods, feel free to lock the thread if this subject is too early to judge.

clav

aB3drKL.png

Im crossing my fingers for Banjo, but I have been for years

What has you saying Rare is back in a big way? They put out a nice retro collection I guess but Sea of Thieves is still a huge question mark.

Well they had a spree of nothin' but Kinect and no mention of any their old IP.

Now we have killer instinct, conker in project spark, rare replay, Battletoads DLC in multiple games, and sea of thieves (AAA with no Kinect)

They kinda seem like they're being utilized now

Top Bottom