• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Rare coming back in a big way recently, what do you think they are doing next?

deleted

Truth to be told? I can see why a lot of their scrapped projects were scrapped in the first place. Some overambitious, some trying desperately to be more in tone with the 360 audience, abandoning the Rare style that was their trademark in the first place.

Now though? Their MMOish pirate adventure looks like it could be great! They released an amazing collection to celebrate their past and are hinting at a new Battletoads that could be a good fit for a Rare/MS collaboration. Especially with the Turtles also making a big comeback these last few years...

All that's left is another new legacy title. I'm very happy that they are not forced to work on Kinect titles anymore and excited to see what they come up with.

Here's hoping for a new Blast Corps or Banjo Kathreeie

LewieP

All the "making of" stuff in Rare Replay is obviously MS approved.

It's worth listening to the not Microsoft sanctioned Conker's Bad Fur Day Director's Commentary. I can't remember where, but littered throughout they occasionally talk about how Rare is under MS management.

Sheds some light on how some employees that worked at Rare during their prime feel about the current owners.

SomTervo

Perfect Dark is due big time. It's been pretty much 10 years since PDZ came out. And that came out only 5 years after Perfect Dark.

Personally, I don't think this is likely as the FPS market is saturated and they'll want to stay away from that. If they do I can imagine it being quirkier Perfect Dark titles, like a handheld one or some such.

Sponge

Banned
Rare's downfall is on them and them alone.

I'm so sure it was Rare's fault that Microsoft didn't greenlight a ton of their projects that looked promising, right?

That's one of the biggest difference between Rare now and before the buyout. Since their first party, they can't pump out a game they want unless Microsoft approves.

Leflus

Personally, I don't think this is likely as the FPS market is saturated and they'll want to stay away from that. If they do I can imagine it being quirkier Perfect Dark titles, like a handheld one or some such.
Plus the fact that Microsoft already has Halo and Gears as its major shooter franchises.

I've seen some people suggesting that they should turn PD into an Uncharted-esque game, but I think they should look towards games like Deus Ex instead. Make it less linear and double down on the gadgets.

BKSmash

Almost every single one of their biggest franchises has gotten something new these days, but no mention of Banjo whatsoever. This not only confuses me, but breaks me down piece by piece.
:(

Shiggy

Why do people accept this revisionist history? All sources point to Rare not being forced down the Kinect rabbit hole, but choosing to go that way. Not being micromanaged by Microsoft, but being given too much creative freedom.

Seriously, put in some sources, some citations - or stop spewing bullshit.

Rare's downfall is on them and them alone.

Don't fall for the corporate narrative. If you listen to those who actually worked at Rare and subsequently left the studio (which were a lot), then Kinesthetic was forced upon them from Microsoft.

Kinsei

Banned
It's pretty much a lock that they're making a new Battletoads. Along with the cameos, Kev Bayliss pretty much confirms it in Rare Replay.

I would love for them to be making a Rare themed mascot racer in collaboration with Sumo Digital. Throw in some guest characters like Master Chief, Vince, Steve, and so on (Maybe Sonic since Banjo was in one of the Sonic racing games) too.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not seeing how Rare is back "in a big way"? We got a retro collection, and they're doing a pirate game. Hardly a comeback.

I just hope to see some nice games from them in the future. Namely new franchises, and sequels to Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, and Kameo.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would love for them to be making a Rare themed mascot racer in collaboration with Sumo Digital. Throw in some guest characters like Master Chief, Vince, Steve, and so on (Maybe Sonic since Banjo was in one of the Sonic racing games) too.

I would love to see this, and Sumo is the studio to go to for such a game.

Don't fall for the corporate narrative. If you listen to those who actually worked at Rare and subsequently left the studio (which were a lot), then Kinesthetic was forced upon them from Microsoft.

Jens Restemeier (now at Playtonic) disagrees.

On the subject of old Rare, the popular story is that when Microsoft took control of the studio, it restricted the team’s creativity, and insisted on a more corporate approach, killing the unique atmosphere. Playtonic denies this.

“For me, it was more about [Rare founders] Tim and Chris Stamper leaving,” says Playtonic technical director Jens Restemeier, who worked at Rare handling handheld conversions of key titles. “There was no sense of progression about what the company was going to do from that point on. The story people want to hear is that Microsoft came in and destroyed everything. It wasn’t like that. They gave us freedom, almost more freedom than Nintendo gave us.”

That's my source. Where's yours?

CeeJay

I am looking forward to seeing how Sea of Thieves turns out as Pirates are very under represented on games IMO and I would like to see Rare creating more new IP but at the same time also paying homage to past gems.

Use the data gathered from Rare replay to find out which games people are playing the most and then remake those rather than just listening to those who shout the loudest.

I disagree.

Banjo-Kazooie characters:
-Banjo & Kazooie
-Gruntilda
-Tooty
-Bottles
-Klungo
-Mumbo-Jumbo
-Humba-Wumba
-King Jingaling
-Lord of Games

Other Rare characters:
-Rash
-Conker
-Kameo
-Mr. Pants
-Sabreman
-Horstachio

Microsoft guest characters:
-Voodoo Vince
-Blinx
-Steve from Minecraft
-Max
-Splosion Man/Ms. Splosion Man
-Maw
-Ori
-Clippy

Third party guest characters:
-Sonic
-Rayman
-Castle Crashers knight
-Yooka & Laylee

It could easily work in my opinion. They could even add in a bunch of other characters from the non-BK series (Berri, Tediz, more pinatas, etc.).

so the Minecraft guy and a ton of unknowns with no real charisma.

Shiggy

Considering that they still work with Microsoft and thus wouldn't be well of criticising them publicly, it's not the best source. Especially when that particular person was left in 2007.

Then again, your source does not mention the Kinect era at all. With the Playtonic guys leaving and them saying that Microsoft didn't infer, something doesn't fit. Why leave when things are great and they are free to create what they want?

You may argue they didn't force Rare to use Kinect. But that's just semantics. They didn't greenlight any non-Kinect projects which is forcing them on Kinect.

One source is Don Murphy who wasn't forced to do any corporate talking: http://www.giantbomb.com/rare-ltd/3...e-wanted-to-make-ki3-and-more-ms-reje-558025/

Chris Server was also pretty open about it.

Ceadeus

Perfect Dark is unic though. It could easily be à coop fps with its spécial stealth gadget touch.

Plus didn't folks like Kirkhope and Seavor constantly make out Kinext/Mattrick played a big hand in Rare's turn for the worse in the late 2000's/early 2010's?

I honestly think things are probably improving with Spencer at the helm, but I agree that anyone saying Microsoft didn't play a big hand in Rare's transformation during the Kinect years is being naive. An employee still there or not as high-profile as the bigger Rare-names aren't going to be as keen to publicly shit on their previous employers.

Rare as you remember it does not exist anymore. Most of the talent is Long gone. It's just a name and intellectual property at this point. I really have no interest in anything they do. It's like the former members of nirvana reforming without Kurt kobain and releasing a new album.

SomTervo

Plus the fact that Microsoft already has Halo and Gears as its major shooter franchises.

I've seen some people suggesting that they should turn PD into an Uncharted-esque game, but I think they should look towards games like Deus Ex instead. Make it less linear and double down on the gadgets.

This would be great, but it's even less likely :*(

Perfect Dark is unic though. It could easily be à coop fps with its spécial stealth gadget touch.

Unic?

Edit: ah, "unique"? It is very unique. But that doesn't stop an FPS in the current market being a risky move. Every base, and every genre, is covered at this point by competitors (including Microsoft's own other studios).

Leflus

so the Minecraft guy and a ton of unknowns with no real charisma.
Meh. You might have a point about the popularity of these characters (although they'd be highly relevant for Rare fans), but I strongly disagree that they have "no real charisma".

...and as I said earlier. It would have to come out around the same time as a new Banjo game so that they could cross-promote the games.

I would love for them to make a true Banjo follow-up. After all but confirming Banjo Threeie in the faces of the fans at the end of Banjo-Tooie and waiting, what 7/8 years? For nuts and bolts?

Part of my childhood cannot be laid to rest until Banjo Threeie is released.

Rare as you remember it does not exist anymore. Most of the talent is Long gone. It's just a name and intellectual property at this point. I really have no interest in anything they do. It's like the former members of nirvana reforming without Kurt kobain and releasing a new album.

Comes into a Rare thread and then states you have no interest in anything they do. So why are you here again?

Anyway, it will take time for Rare to show us what they got. Also, I don't know if we need a Rare that was like it was in the N64 era. They have some good IP's that they should certainly revisit (ie Banjo), but let's see if they can be as creative as they were with making some new things.

I'm excited to see where they go in a few years personally.

thefro

It's pretty much a lock that they're making a new Battletoads. Along with the cameos, Kev Bayliss pretty much confirms it in Rare Replay.

I'm sure they are, but Kev Bayliss is a freelance artist now.

I'm not seeing how Rare is back "in a big way"? We got a retro collection, and they're doing a pirate game. Hardly a comeback.

I just hope to see some nice games from them in the future. Namely new franchises, and sequels to Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Conker, and Kameo.

Yeah, things seem more promising now but they actually have to release a couple good games in a row for them to be "back".

vg260

Twisted Pixel is the perfect studio for the Battletoads project because I don't care about either.

Never cared much for Battletoads even back in the day, because I always though it was just another "let's make our own wacky mutated animal action game with some silly naming theme" to shamelessly mimic TMNT concept. I hated those. I always wonder what those concept meetings were like. Hm, instead of turtles, what's a creature that's kinda like a turtle, maybe green, and kind of typically not likeable. I got it. A toad! Check. Ok, instead of being named after artists, what kind of unlikely wacky naming pattern can we use? Hm, how about Rash, Pimple, and Zitz, like skin stuff. Get it? Cool. Check.

Anyway, I never thought it was deserving of any of the attention it got as a property and was only popular for the wrong reasons. (and partly why I'm bitter about it being in KI).

That being said not even that property deserves Twisted Pixel. Yuck.

Sydle

I'm sure they are, but Kev Bayliss is a freelance artist now.

Who has most recently been working on retro designs for Killer Instinct. Pretty sure he did the Rash retro for the new KI.

He was the original artist for Battletoads and Killer Instinct.

Is Rare really coming back? They re-released a bunch of games they made a long time ago. Is that a comeback?

Maybe it's just me but I thought the OP clearly suggested Rare was "coming back" because they're no longer a single team on Kinect games. They're back in their old form at least with multiple teams and so far they've made no mention of Kinect in their future. We'll see if they still have the goods soon enough.

Some Kinect nonsense whilst Microsoft farms out the ip they got from the Rare acquisition to other more capable studios.

Edit: Oh in addition to Kinect nonsense they will probably make some Xbox One/Windows 10 F2P nonsense.

2013 is that you? Last time I check neither Sea of Thieves or Rare Replay were Kinect games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

From what I've played of the Replay collection it's a good thing this "talent" has left, because their post Nintendo era games are more enjoyable to me then their old shit.

DannyButtermen

Neo Member
I would love for them to make a true Banjo follow-up. After all but confirming Banjo Threeie in the faces of the fans at the end of Banjo-Tooie and waiting, what 7/8 years? For nuts and bolts?

Part of my childhood cannot be laid to rest until Banjo Threeie is released.

I concur, I have been waiting for a proper Banjo sequel since beating Tooie.

Riky

$MSFT
Rare Replay shows me the current staff understand the legacy and Sea Of Thieves looks brilliant, so I'd say Rare is back.

With what Phil Spencer said about diversity I think Banjo Threeie is a must, Xbox One needs that game soon, at the same time they should be working on a Banjo Kart Racer, I think those two games are what is needed.

I'd also love Perfect Dark 2 and Jet Force Gemini 2 in time, I think they are different enough to fill holes in the first party roster.

I think they could do a few of these games but don't need most to be a full priced $60 title. Make Conker into seasons, banjo and battletoads 30$ shorter titles, etc. Unless Nintendo makes it, these games don't go for full retail prices anymore.. Which is why maybe these titles haven't been made in a while.

I'm just happy that Rare is left to make games instead of Kinect throwaways. Sure, it may have much to do with Microsoft restructuring the Xbox brand after all the negative press since launch, if that's what it took to get them to finally listen to consumers then so be it.

It's going to take some time, but a new IP and a collection of the Rare vault sans Donkey Kong, to me, is a very positive sign in the right direction. There are going to be people on the opposing sides highly cynical to any small success they'll achieve, but at the end of the it all actions speak louder than opinions any day.

They created new characters for Diddy Kong Racing.

and i couldn't name one outside of diddy and conker.
if you create new ones it wouldn't be much of a mascot racing game, also this worked on the N64 where you already had the Mario Kart audience, i don't think that audience exists on the XB1.

From what I've played of the Replay collection it's a good thing this "talent" has left, because their post Nintendo era games are more enjoyable to me then their old shit.

Well a lot of their old games were the pinnacle of gaming in the 90's. However I think Kameo and Viva Pinatas in specific are some of Rare's best work. A lot of the criticism with Rare pre-Kinect Sports was from bitter fans not happy with Microsoft buying them.

Though Banjo Nuts and Bolts was a mistake. Its a good game in its own rights, but its not what people were asking for. Now we are back on track and hopefully get back to making great games like Kameo, Viva Pinatas, Banjo, etc

Top Bottom