• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Switch nearing the end of its life, how does GAF rank it among Nintendo's systems?

How do you rank Switch against other Nintendo systems?

• The best Nintendo system

• Top 3

• Top 5

• Bottom half

• Worst

Results are only viewable after voting.

LakeOf9

With rumours of Switch 2 suggesting it is right around the corner, what does GAF think of Switch 1? It still has a bunch of big releases left, but it's near the end of its life at this point. After the Wii U, was the Switch good redemption? Where would you rank it among Nintendo systems?

This was basically the first Nintendo system I owned, and I ended up really liking it. While a lot of Nintendo's games I am not a big fan of, the ones I liked I really loved, and the Switch form factor is my favorite. It remains one of my favorite ways to play games even with how old the hardware is at this point. I'm not a huge console gamer, but of the consoles I have played, I would say the Switch is one of my favourites over.

Lunarorbit

I really like it. I've gone through spats where I didn't game on it for a while but I have around 25 physical games for it.

I rank the snes and nes above it as they mean way more to me. When those were first out it was mind expanding for an elementary and then middle school me.

It's probably third favorite with 3ds next. Skipped the GameCube generation of video games completely

TLZ

Banned
Famicom and Super Famicom still my top 2. Don't know about the rest.

Maybe Wii and Wii U 3rd and 4th for the Mario Galaxies, 3D World, Botw and Yoshi's Woolly World. Maybe Mario kart 8 too.

Then comes GC, N64 and Switch.

Last edited:

Jsisto

I voted Top 3. If they squeeze in an Eternal Darkness remake before it ends, it’s number one. But seriously, it’s probably the best.

Wii U gets too much hate; Switch gets too much love.

This is life.
Honestly I questioned my list multiple times because my gut was telling me to put the N64 lower than the Wii U. All 3 consoles during N64's generation had tons of games that ran and looked rough. It will forever be my least favorite gen... that delivered groundbreaking content and I.P.

Best console of all time. It completely revolutionized gaming and being able to play games that were supposed to be exclusively playable on stationary consoles last generation, on the go, was nintendos best idea ever. Even though I own a big ass OLED, I still prefer playing switch or steam deck on the couch.

Better than the N64, Wii U, Virtual Boy and the 3DS but worse than everything else in my opinion. Hmm I was never a fan of the DS either but I think I prefer it over the Switch.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
SNES will always be my favourite Nintendo system so top 2 for me but as it’s not available, top 3.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not going to do charts because nostalgia is a bitch.
Switch has the most expansive library of any Nintendo system, period. It’s also the most versatile system they ever released, and the most straightforward and clutter-free home hardware they’ve had, like, ever. After the chore of merely setting up a Wii or WiiU its simplicity feels liberating, and it takes less space than a GameCube. The Joycons are a good compromise between the precision of the Wiimote and a traditional controller. Even if the screen is subpar, it’s still the best screen a Nintendo system ever had.

I have used, and still use, my Switch more than I ever thought I would when I first tried it at the first Italian presentation in Milan. On that day, I left the event being skeptical. But BOTW more than convinced me. The Switch’s successor will have a lot of convincing to do if it deviates from the Switch’s template and formula.

Yeah, I have lots of feelings for Nintendo’s classic consoles, but the truth is, I probably never played more than 20-30 games on each one if we exclude those I later emulated. I’ve played so many more on my Switch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
1. Switch
2. N64
3. DS
4. SNES
5. Game Boy

Switch is an absolute powerhouse of a console. This thing is absolutely dripping where it matters: high quality games.

The third party support has been insane.

I’m using it more as the years go by, and it’s now my primary (and only) console.

zeldaring

Banned
Snes
N64
NES
wiiu mainly cause it was much cheaper and had all the games i was interested in on switch except for totk and mario odyssey .
switch

Murdoch

Considering the huge drop off in quality of AAA Games in recent years; I'd say the lack of them on the system has been to it's benefit. The indies have done gangbusters there and others have flocked to the platform as a result.

In a way it half makes me wish the next switch isn't a powerhouse as I don't want a deluge of AAA dross on there

NahaNago

I voted top 3 but it probably should have been top 5. I don't think the software on it has been that iconic outside of zelda and smash and both of those were originally made for the wii u. It reminds me of the ps2 but with less legendary games. It beats the wii with more quality first party game and destroys the wii u in sales. After thinking about rankings a bit more , if we are only talking about consoles, I'd rank it at 4th or maybe even 5th place. NES, SNES, and N64 are monsters when it comes to legendary software.

CashPrizes

Top 3, probably #3 behind SNES at #1 and NES at #2. If you count the DS then Switch is #4.

Had the two best Zelda games since Ocarina and LttP. Best Metroid game since SNES. You could argue Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are better then Odyssey, but it is close, and those are like the only 2 things Wii has going for it. Has the best Smash Bros ever, the best Mario Kart ever, Portability at least gives you a reason to own some 3rd party games on it.

GameCube has some good stuff but I think it is still clearly behind the Switch, and Wii and WiiU are way behind. N64 is trash btw, Ocarina and Mario 64 is all it has. I would take the WiiU over the N64, has Botw and better everything else. Mario 3D world is no Mario 64 but it is very good.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Wii U gets too much hate; Switch gets too much love.

This is life.
I tried Zombie U and Nintendoland just before it launched at a Demo event. Zombie U's loading times were terrible and a massive red flag.

Nintendoland's asymmetric gameplay was ok but none of us finished playing and said "oooh i must have this"

WiiU was too little too late...i went out and bought an Xbox 360 instead for cheaper and loads of games.
Not going to do charts because nostalgia is a bitch.
Switch has the most expansive library of any Nintendo system, period. It’s also the most versatile system they ever released, and the most straightforward and clutter-free home hardware they’ve had, like, ever.

1. Switch
2. N64
3. DS
4. SNES
5. Game Boy

Switch is an absolute powerhouse of a console. This thing is absolutely dripping where it matters: high quality games.

The third party support has been insane.

I’m using it more as the years go by, and it’s now my primary (and only) console.
I'm with you folks.

NES saved the videogame industry and introduced so many classic franchises. But it had a lot of filler too and outstayed it's welcome.

SNEs was a powerhouse with best of 16bit versions of classic franchises, it's definitely up there but wasn't really revolutionary.

N64 was revolutionary but just lacked games volume. I remember having less than 15 games and really only playing a handful regularly.

Gamecube was a fun console but again games volume was a bit of an issue. And the game format and hardware form factor were clunky.

Wii was revolutionary but one generation behind and it showed. It was also a money sink as the experience had to be updated partway through the gen (motion controls). And a shovelware magnet.

Gameboy is a definite powerhouse with an amazing library but its screen immediately dates it to the 1970s.

Nintendo DS is another powerhouse amazing library and new IPs creator. Just small screens, the stylo and the rampant piracy were it's drawbacks.

N3DS is an OK evolution of the DS nothing amazing (esp when kids were asked not to use 3D to protect their health)

Then Switch comes along and really, it has almost no flaws. An unobtrusive home console form factor with handheld ps3/X360 level power is a gamechanger. It does everything and with an amazing library. Even when Switch 2 comes along I fully expect it to remain viable as a budget console for a few more years and it won't have outstayed it's welcome.

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:

IAmRei

Switch is my fave system, the library is massive, the aesthetic is cool, their achievements are surprising, the innovation is not only hardware but also life changing "switch" console to portable mode. There are lot of things i want to write off, but i'm too lazy at this time. Definetely the best for me.

digdug2

This is nostalgia speaking, but NES was my first console and it's still probably my favorite. Switch is very high up there though! It's top 5 if we're counting consoles and handhelds.

digdug2

Gameboy is a definite powerhouse with an amazing library but its screen immediately dates it to the 1970s.
To be fair, Nintendo was first to market with a device like this. What I didn't realize until doing some research is that the Atari Lynx came out less than 2 months later in the USA. It literally blew GB out of the water in every aspect, except two. Games and price, which were probably the biggest reason it crashed and burned.

Last edited:
Games are overpriced.

Not buying their system till they fix that.

Not interested in jumping through the hoops to play their games. 5 yrs old titles should be offered at good price.

Naked Lunch

Its better than the Wii and WiiU - but thats about it.
Nintendo's first party has fallen off compared to their classic consoles. Miyamoto not being around much is one significant factor.

If the next Switch doesnt have BC - theres going to be alot of unhappy people. So many sunk tons of dough into physical and online collections for the console. I know people who have entire walls of red spine switch boxes in their house.

UnNamed

Banned
I have the same feeling as the Wii: lot of great games to play, but 60% of it is litterally shovelware/trashware. It's meaningless it has sold 130M copies.

Switch also have a dramatic amount of software like calculators and such on the online store.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Software lineup 8.5 out of ten (best this generation but thats not saying a lot)

Hardware wise 3.5 out of 10 (a host of problems and issues with build quality....I also liked the wii u concept and execution a lot more)

Better than ds, 3ds and gamecube but lower than n64, snes, nes and gba

Last edited:
Top Bottom