• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Switch nearing the end of its life, how does GAF rank it among Nintendo's systems?

How do you rank Switch against other Nintendo systems?

• The best Nintendo system

• Top 3

• Top 5

• Bottom half

• Worst

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skeptical

Neo Member
Absolutely, unequivocally number 1 for multiple reasons.

1) This is the first handheld they made that didn't feel constrained by the hardware. I know, this place thinks it literally makes everyone's eyes bleed and all, but it is perfectly acceptable for me the vast majority of the time. There just aren't enough pixels on the GBA's screen to adequately play Metroid or Megaman. There isn't enough screen space. The DS could do 3D... sort of. In fairness, I never played a 3DS, so that one is close too. But the range of games that the Switch can do run the full range from simple arcade games to sweeping, epic adventures. Sure, it can't quite get everything, but it's close enough.

2) The hybrid nature is absolutely perfect for my current adult life. If I have time to play on the big screen, great! Or I can play in bed. Or sitting on the floor waiting for my toddler to go to sleep. Or on the couch when I have a few minutes. When I get called away, I can turn it off and then be back in the game immediately once I have time again 2 hours later. Frankly, I don't want to play stuff on anything else.

3) This is the first console since the SNES in which Mario, Zelda, AND Metroid were all great. Oh, and a cool new approach for Pokemon with Arceus. And Pikmin. And some Fire Emblems. And a 3D Kirby. And toss in Astral Chain while we're at it. I'm not 100% sure if it is their best first party offerings for me, but it's pretty close.

4) The wonderful world of indie / downloadable games. I love 2D platformers. It was frustrating for so long that they were stuck on the B team: smaller, weaker handhelds and often not with great support. Now, anyone with a passion for them can make one themselves. And back then, they were $30. Now they are $10 - $20. And if you didn't buy them ASAP back then, you had to hope to find them in a stack of used games. Now they are always available and often 60% off. Is this unique to the Switch? Of course not. But the SNES sure didn't have it. And even if other people play them on PC or PS or whatever, I play them here and I will credit it to the system.

5) The embarrassing level of riches we have in terms of the volume of games today. If I wanted to play a Metroidvania on the DS, I could play... uh... Castlevania. OK, there were some others, but you get my drift. Now I have dozens to choose from. I have dozens of tactical RPGs. I have dozens of 2D platformers. The list is seemingly endless. The number of games on the Switch that I have at least some interest in is larger than the entire libraries of many old Nintendo consoles. Is it only on Switch? No, of course not. But as I said earlier, I would much prefer to play them here than elsewhere. Someone mentioned previously that 60% of the library was trash like calculators or whatever. Even if that percentage is true, that still leaves 4000 potentially interesting games. Who has time for all of that? So who cares if 60% is trash?

6) The sheer number of remakes and rereleases and collections helps make the old consoles obsolete. Hey, I loved the Gamecube. Metroid Prime and Super Monkey Ball were my two favorite games. But I don't need to dig it up and deal with that old console to play them anymore. I like Mega Man. I have 19 Mega Man games on this system, more than I could possibly need. I have 5 and a half 3D Mario games. I will eventually have every Pikmin game. I have my choice of every single player Final Fantasy game through 12. And even if the rest aren't available to purchase, well, I paid $50 and now I can play them for a year. I can replay my favorites and finally try out all the ones I didn't get a chance to play over the year. I never owned a WiiU. I have no need to; I already own all the best games from the system. Maybe this isn't a fair way of judging each system on its own merits, but it doesn't matter. And does that mean that, if Switch 2 has full backwards compatibility, it will automatically become the best Nintendo console from Day 1? Perhaps. And I will be perfectly happy with that. Perhaps it will be the last console I ever buy or ever need to buy.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You sound like a youngin.
Nes is not only the best but it is gamings savior.
NES games are fine. But SNES is legendary and N64 just as much. You can't top Mario 64, Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Majora's Mask, Paper Mario, Super Metroid, ALTTP, list goes on. What does NES have that competes with any of that? It's a top 8 console and even then that's factoring heavy nostalgia.

I'd sooner put Gamecube or Gameboy Advance in the top 3 before i do NES.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

The original SNES is number one for me. It's a solid number 2 as I wasn't sure wii fan and I don't see how anyone could be with those jittery controls.

I think they should go with an approach a little more powerful i n comparison to other next gen devices. I'm not a graphics whore but they need to be nesr the ballpark.

S0ULZB0URNE

NES games are fine. But SNES is legendary and N64 just as much. You can't top Mario 64, Mario World, Chrono Trigger, Majora's Mask, Paper Mario, Super Metroid, ALTTP, list goes on. What does NES have that competes with any of that? It's a top 8 console and even then that's factoring heavy nostalgia.

I'd sooner put Gamecube or Gameboy Advance in the top 3 before i do NES.
Definitely a youngin.

Nes set the standard.
Snes is a prettier version of what the nes did.

You want a list? Here is a quick not in order list.

Tloz 1 and 2
Rygar
Castlevania 1-3
Metroid
Tecmo Bowl
Kid Icarus
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Super Mario 1-3
Pro Wrestling
Contra/Super Contra
Excite Bike
Batman(sunsoft)
Mike Tyson Punch Out
Final Fantasy
Mega Man series

Guarantee I am missing a bunch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
NES
Metroid-NES-Morph-Ball.jpg
sddefault.jpg

SNES
819000-942773_20070827_001.jpg
super_metroid.0.png

Gameboy Advance (just to rub salt in the wound, this is the Metroid remake)
metroid_zeromission_image_uWfzH.gif
b6ddbe8563996162c79f6467c47844b4.jpg

I am a major metroid fan, trying to argue the original NES Metroid is worth anything other than maybe a look back at what the series started as is laughable. It's like trying to argue the first Benz motor car is somehow comparable to your modern Ford F-150 or even an old beat up Toyota from the 90s.

and Final Fantasy? the series that no one gave a fuck about until the SNES games and FF7? come on now

S0ULZB0URNE

NES
Metroid-NES-Morph-Ball.jpg
sddefault.jpg

SNES
819000-942773_20070827_001.jpg
super_metroid.0.png

Gameboy Advance (just to rub salt in the wound, this is the Metroid remake)
metroid_zeromission_image_uWfzH.gif
b6ddbe8563996162c79f6467c47844b4.jpg

I am a major metroid fan, trying to argue the original NES Metroid is worth anything other than maybe a look back at what the series started as is laughable. It's like trying to argue the first Benz motor car is somehow comparable to your modern Ford F-150 or even an old beat up Toyota from the 90s.

and Final Fantasy? the series that no one gave a fuck about until the SNES games and FF7? come on now
You must of missed this part.

"Nes set the standard.
Snes is a prettier version of what the nes did."

Using a visual comparison for your argument in this shows you don't know.

Nobody cares about the nes Final Fantasy game/s?
One would have to of gamed at that time to know it's a classic.
Googling can only tell you so much experience is key.

In terms of game library, I'd say it's one of the best, especially when it comes to first-party exclusives....having Zelda, Mario AND Metroid games that could be reasonably argued to be the best games in their respective franchises is a distinction only shared by the SNES. The explosive growth of the indie gaming scene over the past 5 years has been very kind to it as well.

Hardware-wise, if we judge the Nintendo platforms of the past according to the standards of their times, Switch is in the bottom half. Obviously it didn't compare favorably with the PS4 or XBO as a home console, despite those consoles having launched several years prior. As a portable device it was being significantly outperformed by tablets that were available when it launched. I still hold the Gameboy Advance SP to be the best piece of hardware Nintendo ever made.

Katajx

Gold Member
Top 5. It has a great library, but I can’t look past it not really having its own Mario Kart, Smash, and Donkey Kong.

I also would have liked more 3D mario and a Wario Land or something.

Alan Wake

A quick comparison of ground textures and draw distance between Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 4 exposes this "opinion" as utter horseshit.

Ignore the sucker- reasons like a preteen or early teen with too much time on their hands and a burning need to be noticed. If no one pays notice they'll get tired and move on..eventually.

So much BS so little time: Mario Odyssey, 2 Fire Emblems, 2 Splatoons, Astral Chain, Arms, Ring Fit, Animal Crossing, TOTK, Luigi's Mansion 3, the definitive Smash Bros, Metroid Dread, 2d Mario (upcoming and Mariomaker), Paper Mario, Mario+Rabbids. I've listed 2 Switch-only 1st party exclusives per year of NSW's existence and there's more (eg Xenoblade, Warioware)..

I don't think "virtually empty " means what you think it means.
I wrote "pretty much", not identical. There's no wow next gen! difference between Breath of the Wild on Wii U and Switch, same goes for games like Donkey Kong Country: TF and 3D World. I know Switch is more powerful, and some games really shine. But honestly, I get that Wii U feeling most of the time. And that's fine.

digdug2

Definitely a youngin.

Nes set the standard.
Snes is a prettier version of what the nes did.

You want a list? Here is a quick not in order list.

Tloz 1 and 2
Rygar
Castlevania 1-3
Metroid
Tecmo Bowl
Kid Icarus
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Super Mario 1-3
Pro Wrestling
Contra/Super Contra
Excite Bike
Batman(sunsoft)
Mike Tyson Punch Out
Final Fantasy
Mega Man series

Guarantee I am missing a bunch.
You are missing some, but that's only because there were SO MANY great titles. But you included Rygar, so I'm happy.

Just to pile on:

The CAPCOM Disney Games (Duck Tales 1 & 2, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, even The Little Mermaid was great)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Faxanadu
Metal Gear 1 & 2
Dragon Warrior series (Now Dragon Quest)
Bionic Commando
Yo Noid (just kidding)
Battletoads
Bubble Bobble
The Kirby games
Crystalis

And honestly, the list keeps going. Sure, there was a lot of shovelware on the NES, but that problem exists on just about every console before it and after it. The NES laid much of the groundwork for everything that followed. Since the Genesis came out while the NES was in its hot streak, I would argue that it had HUGE shoes to fill and did an amazing job at it.

Then the SNES came out, and it just felt like a continuation of the NES. I didn't really feel like it was doing anything new. Same applies to the GBA. It was a shinier Game Boy. Now the N64 on the other hand, was revolutionary and SM64 changed gaming forever.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Using a visual comparison for your argument in this shows you don't know.
but it shows i DO know. One of Metroid's strongest points is the atmosphere, and the visuals make a major contribution to that. the NES Metroid's lacking visuals and sound design puts it very low on the list of Metroid games to revisit or play... Basically every game that would come out afterwards (with the exception of Metroid 2 on Gameboy) clears that segment with flying colors thanks to the superior tech backing those games up. This is also not mentioning the lacking gameplay, depth, and controls in comparison to every other game. Again, I am a Metroid fan.

Marvel14

Banned
As someone that's been playing every nintendo system since the beginning my comment is derived from a feeling of cohesiveness with the system, not some technical check box. And by that feeling the system is living on Iwata/Miyamoto greatness, not the directive game development staff efforts of today, IMO.

And I'd also say that Odyssey started development on WiiU and was ported like many of the Switch's so-called games, even though I think it is very poor as a mainline Mario from 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 heritage in OST, and gameplay and story, that all feel measurable fine, but collectively far less than their product should be. The camera AI just takes all the sense of speed and impact out of the mario game, and the interactive props all feel disjointed and just thrown in for change's sake.
So in summary when you said "virtually empty " you meant "feels uncohesive" and "Mario Odyssey sux" . So not actually "there are no Switch specific games".

I too didn't love Odyssey and found it uncohesive with strange moon difficulty, but I still enjoyed myself for 30+ hours.

Also " must not have started development on the Wii U" is a rather odd criterion. What value does it have?

Robins

I think it's a great versatile system and the lack of power hasn't hampered it at all.

Spent lots of time on ring fit. Sadly probably the least amount of time I've spend with an Nintendo system. More to do with my age than the device itself.

Marvel14

Banned
I wrote "pretty much", not identical. There's no wow next gen! difference between Breath of the Wild on Wii U and Switch, same goes for games like Donkey Kong Country: TF and 3D World. I know Switch is more powerful, and some games really shine. But honestly, I get that Wii U feeling most of the time. And that's fine.
Think you're guilty of the compositional fallacy. Your argument is definitely true of the cross gen games like Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3d World etc but you've generalised it to all Switch games. Pikmin 3 vs 4 Is a great refutation but there will be others (Metroid Dread, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Yoshi's Crafted World come to mind).

Also Switch is a more powerful PS3/XB360 that can be used as a handheld. It is not a massive graphical leap beyond that generation to which Wii U also belongs. So your premise is also flawed- the wow "it's next gen" reaction is its portable form factor not its massive graphical leap.

Finally, that "wow next gen" response has also been problematic between PS4 and PS5 in crossgen title. So it's not a Switch specific critique.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

So in summary when you said "virtually empty " you meant "feels uncohesive" and "Mario Odyssey sux" . So not actually "there are no Switch specific games".

I too didn't love Odyssey and found it uncohesive with strange moon difficulty, but I still enjoyed myself for 30+ hours.

Also " must not have started development on the Wii U" is a rather odd criterion. What value does it have?
Most of the Switch first party library are games that all would have landed on WiiU had it remained in the market as a viable platform for 5-7years, and so the roster were WiiU games. Very little significant first party games originated for the Switch, and even all the Splatoon games would fit that bill.

It is a console my mind attaches no software identity to, because as an ongoing active WiiU user/owner who has replicated many game purchases across both systems, all I see is WiiU ports or ports from older consoles.

The virtually empty part is really about whatever games are unique to Switch aren't important big first party sellers that would have enticed me to buy the console at launch in hindsight, as my WiiU covers 99/100 bases IMHO.

Last edited:

BlackTron

a game that's better played on SNES and GBA?

chad-warden-come-on-now.gif

So are we counting games from past systems or not?

If you want to count games from past systems, Switch wins automatically and there's really no other conversation.

If you want to talk about nuances of original games and what they meant when they actually first game out. Mario 3 is a NES game

My favorites are the gamecube, the N64 and the Switch OLED. I owned all of these and had a great experience with each.

I also enjoyed the GBA, GBC, GB, DS and 3DS. I had a Wii but I never used it much.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
we are. Because even by that logic Switch wouldn't win as theres an extensive back catalogue of older titles it can't play, such as Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, DS, etc.

in reality, Wii U would be the best as when it's hacked you get access to every nintendo home console library ever made (before Wii U of course) including Gamecube and Wii. It's the ultimate Nintendo superfan system :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

BlackTron

we are. Because even by that logic Switch wouldn't win as theres an extensive back catalogue of older titles it can't play, such as Wii, Gamecube, 3DS, DS, etc.

in reality, Wii U would be the best as when it's hacked you get access to every nintendo home console library ever made (before Wii U of course) including Gamecube and Wii. It's the ultimate Nintendo superfan system :messenger_smirking:

Now we are even counting what systems can do when HACKED? I played SotN on my Switch last night, so you're just opening up a broader matchup which tbh is pointless anyway because it's just goalpost moving

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Now we are even counting what systems can do when HACKED? I played SotN on my Switch last night, so you're just opening up a broader matchup which tbh is pointless anyway because it's just goalpost moving
ok ok fine, Wasn't being too serious with that post anyways. Mario 3 is an NES game. A very good one, too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Top 3 for me

SNES
Switch
GBA

I know hardly unique choices, but especially after Sony dropped the ball with the "CENSOR JAPANESE GAMES" the switch is getting far more unique Japanese games like Rain Code you can't experience anywhere else. With the best versions of multiple Wii U titles and it's own unique library of first party it's certainly a great entry for Nintendo's history.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

If you want to count games from past systems, Switch wins automatically and there's really no other conversation.

If you want to talk about nuances of original games and what they meant when they actually first game out. Mario 3 is a NES game

If someone's first system was the Switch and they could buy the Mega Man collection (which has many, many quality of life features and all sorts of other enhancements like the museum and ability to play the game as it was from different regions, etc), why would they not see that as part of the Switch library? The Mega Man collection doesn't count as a Switch game, even though it is sold directly through the eShop on the device? That's a weird way to view a system's library of games.

I would count everything that you can officially buy as part of the system's worth, including the classic games you can purchase through Nintendo, whether as part of a subscription or sold as standalone). The draw for me with Wii definitely included all the classic games.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's probably not even in the top 5.

Unless you count the rehashed and iterative updates and the VC rip off.

The Wii was the worst "best selling" console and I find this worse in games other than the portability aspects.

Go back to the N64-GC era to find where they started to find themselves in this perception.

That doesn't mean they can't sell consoles. Sales don't mean best though.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

So your premise is also flawed- the wow "it's next gen" reaction is its portable form factor not its massive graphical leap.

Finally, that "wow next gen" response has also been problematic between PS4 and PS5 in crossgen title. So it's not a Switch specific critique.
Oh, absolutely. The very basis for the success for the Switch is the hybrid factor, which makes it unique in the market. And no, I never said this was a Switch specific critique. Cross-gen titles is nothing new, but I do think, though, that the pandemic made the transition from PS4 to PS5 even more blurry than it could've or should've been.

Ryllix_

Near the bottom for me, but it’s not simple. The switch has a lot of great games, but a lot of the AAA games run like complete garbage causing users to waste money on games that look or perform very poorly because of the hardware. If Nintendo had been better about what they allowed on the system and blocking stuff like the WWE 2K game and others that clearly have no business being on it then switch would be near the top. As a comparison my favorite Nintendo console is the SNES. It had a ton of all time classics and even the games that weren’t good usually performed fine compared to their peers.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Personally it's an OK system for the purpose I give it. It's not my main console.

When it comes to Nintendo, SNES is the king for me.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

but it shows i DO know. One of Metroid's strongest points is the atmosphere, and the visuals make a major contribution to that. the NES Metroid's lacking visuals and sound design puts it very low on the list of Metroid games to revisit or play... Basically every game that would come out afterwards (with the exception of Metroid 2 on Gameboy) clears that segment with flying colors thanks to the superior tech backing those games up. This is also not mentioning the lacking gameplay, depth, and controls in comparison to every other game. Again, I am a Metroid fan.
Actually everything you have posted shows you didn't experience the nes(which you can't control and is fine) when it released and mentioning graphics as a argument for this reeks of reaching. The disrespect towards the nes removes your gamer card,makes it hard to take you and your gaming opinion serious.

Metroid has the best atmosphere as its much more darker. Super Metroid is incredible and a incredible follow up but the original hits different.
Mentioning the GBA games in comparison is comical.

S0ULZB0URNE

You are missing some, but that's only because there were SO MANY great titles. But you included Rygar, so I'm happy.

Just to pile on:

The CAPCOM Disney Games (Duck Tales 1 & 2, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, even The Little Mermaid was great)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Faxanadu
Metal Gear 1 & 2
Dragon Warrior series (Now Dragon Quest)
Bionic Commando
Yo Noid (just kidding)
Battletoads
Bubble Bobble
The Kirby games
Crystalis

And honestly, the list keeps going. Sure, there was a lot of shovelware on the NES, but that problem exists on just about every console before it and after it. The NES laid much of the groundwork for everything that followed. Since the Genesis came out while the NES was in its hot streak, I would argue that it had HUGE shoes to fill and did an amazing job at it.

Then the SNES came out, and it just felt like a continuation of the NES. I didn't really feel like it was doing anything new. Same applies to the GBA. It was a shinier Game Boy. Now the N64 on the other hand, was revolutionary and SM64 changed gaming forever.
I couldn't name all as that list is to big and yes Rygar is incredible and sadly underrated.

Many modern AAA rated games use elements the nes introduced. The library of AAA quality games was massive for the time.

Cyberpunkd

I playing Switch more than my PS5 - way easier to just pick up and play in bed, relaxing, etc. Works perfect for Nintendo games + indies. Mario Odyssey is incredible.

Chastten

Banned
When I look at it objectively, its my favorite (Nintendo) system by far. If I look at numbers of hours played, number of games owned, variety of game genres available, in all of it, it's my number one system.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug however, and it's very hard to beat my nostalgia for N64. That was the first system I bought with my own earned money, the first time I played a lot of Nintendo franchises, it was just a lot of first times for me. And yeah, it's gonna to be hard for any system to make me forget those endless friday nights of playing Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

So yeah, it's either my favorite or second favorite Nintendo system, with GameCube taking 3th spot. As a kid I wasn't really into gaming so NES and SNES just don't do all that much to me, I never liked the Wii, and the Wii U just didn't have a long enough lifespan to make it into my top 3.

0neAnd0nly

This is a tough question as it is multi faceted.

I will rank it purely off of what it did to the industry / meant to gaming / impact to gaming (you get the gist).

I think Nintendo is as follows:

#1. NES - the vessel that drove home gaming into the masses, introduced so many iconic franchises to home systems, etc.

#2. N64 - Revolutionized 3D gaming. Brought us a 3D Mario world that holds up today, 3D Zelda that had us exploring open world gaming, the most iconic FPS of all time that led to the rise of FPS / Multiplayer FPS, etc.

#3. Wii - not sure this can be discounted logically. The Wii changed the friggin industry, sold gangbusters, crossed generational lines of gaming. Even though core gamers may have felt a disconnect, it’s impact on culture is pretty easily found.

#4. Gameboy - because it launched handheld Nintendo into stardom and brought us the behemoth that became Pokémon.

#5. Switch. Started off with immense negativity here and through many gaming channels with the premier, but ended up launching as pretty awesome tech with what may end up being the best game of the 10-20 decade with Zelda. The hybrid console is also pretty sweet and was pretty novel for the time, ability to go TV or on the go helped it corner it’s own market.

So, in short, top 5. For the reasons listed above.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

It's hard to make the case it isn't the best, but N64 will always be my favorite.

Put another way, no game will ever again make me feel the way Super Mario 64 did in that Best Buy in 1996.

Top Bottom