• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Without looking it up, guess from which game review I pulled these quotes.

Cashon

Banned
Don't cheat. Just go with your instinct and guess which game's review has these quotes.

"...greatest struggle is ultimately its own internal tug-of-war between telling a beautifully presented story and granting the level of interactivity we've come to expect from a game. In the end, a lopsided commitment to perfecting style and plot comes at the cost of sluggish pacing, a look-but-don't-touch world..."

"It’s populated by characters that are generally well-developed, motivated, and believable. And there’s a concerted effort to extend that fantastic polish into a seamless experience, merging gameplay with its many lengthy cutscenes as it delivers a generally good historical-fantasy story."

"However , maintaining its scripted, linear storytelling means that when _______ must relinquish control outside of combat, it does so only enough to allow for the most basic of interactions with its world. Between lengthy cutscenes, there are long periods of restrained movement where you’re meant to simply walk, taking in the sights and listening to character dialog. It’s an issue that’s somewhat mitigated by the fact ________ is just so damn polished, so there is plenty to keep the eye occupied, but this too suffers from diminishing returns as the super-scripted segments strip you of any freedom. Constantly being ripped from gameplay to cutscene to restrained walking segment back to cutscene is a pervasive whiplash of false starts."

Answer and purpose of the thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/with...-i-pulled-these-quotes.1656161/post-267901686

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
'Between lengthy cutscenes, there are long periods of restrained movement where you’re meant to simply walk, taking in the sights and listening to character dialog'

It's 100% a Sony game. And i think older, because newer would be easier. I say Uncharted 4 or The Order.

Last edited:

Kilau

I want to say God of War because it's so pretty, but you can't really interact with it in a meaningful way but since it's a lower meta score, The order?

RagnarokIV

The first Hellblade game? That's a "historical-fantasy story" and it has crap puzzles and no interaction with the world.

Cashon

Banned
Spark the electric jester

Btw i cheated after guessing and am quite satisfied with the result.
Forbidden Zone Cheating GIF by Eternal Family

DelireMan7

I am confused I checked and the answer was given in this thread already, but OP while responding to the good answer didn't say it was good xD

Anyway it's a fun guessing game :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember that review....
A few people in the thread have got it right.

Cashon

Banned
Don't cheat. Just go with your instinct and guess which game's review has these quotes.

"...greatest struggle is ultimately its own internal tug-of-war between telling a beautifully presented story and granting the level of interactivity we've come to expect from a game. In the end, a lopsided commitment to perfecting style and plot comes at the cost of sluggish pacing, a look-but-don't-touch world..."

"It’s populated by characters that are generally well-developed, motivated, and believable. And there’s a concerted effort to extend that fantastic polish into a seamless experience, merging gameplay with its many lengthy cutscenes as it delivers a generally good historical-fantasy story."

"However , maintaining its scripted, linear storytelling means that when _______ must relinquish control outside of combat, it does so only enough to allow for the most basic of interactions with its world. Between lengthy cutscenes, there are long periods of restrained movement where you’re meant to simply walk, taking in the sights and listening to character dialog. It’s an issue that’s somewhat mitigated by the fact ________ is just so damn polished, so there is plenty to keep the eye occupied, but this too suffers from diminishing returns as the super-scripted segments strip you of any freedom. Constantly being ripped from gameplay to cutscene to restrained walking segment back to cutscene is a pervasive whiplash of false starts."
As a few have already guessed (or looked up), the answer is The Order: 1886, for PlayStation 4.. The descriptions are from an IGN review, and do describe the game reasonably well. These descriptions, as evidenced by other guesses, also fit the mold of many, many other modern games, but also specifically the mold of many Sony games, that have a much higher metacritic score.

The Order: 1886 (2015) currently has a metacritic score of 63. Compared to other games from guesses in this thread, that seems very low. For comparison:

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4, 2014) - 95
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4, 2016) - 93
God of War (PS4, 2018) - 94
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One, 2015) - 82
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One, 2017) - 88

If you took out the reference to historical fantasy, the descriptions/criticisms from the review could easily apply to every one of these games, to varying extents. Why was The Order: 1886 reviewed so poorly in comparison?

I'm guessing some will say that it's because of the length of the game compared to the price at release; but should that have any impact on a game's review score? If you were to buy the game now, it is often on sale for less than $5, while still having the exact same quality it had at release. Does that mean, now, it's more in line with the other games listed?

Or were the other games listed simply overrated? Maybe there were other biases at play that granted those games higher reviews?

I've played The Order: 1886 and thought it was a perfectly fine game. Looked great, controlled well, has good voice-acting and a decent story. I do agree with the aforementioned review, but I think it's odd that so many other games with similar gameplay have gotten a pass on that.

Crayon

The only good hint in there is historical fantasy. Red Dead is historical but is it a fantasy? God of war is a fantasy but is it historical? I'm actually interested to see what the answer is.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Like this!

War has never been so much fun

We are safe we are alive but we are not back home

That's my first two.

Top Bottom