• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 03•09-11•18 - No wrinkle in Black Panther's time on top box office, even Oprah and threat of Stranger danger can't stop it

xaosslug

UMvySBm.jpg
eduhMFa.jpg
IBFJ4kn.jpg
IbgorMH.jpg
QyfTU3T.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
97% Black Panther
eptv7.gif
42% A Wrinkle in Time
8mB0Q.gif
38% Strangers: Prey at Night
3Pj0x.gif
48% Red Sparrow
0hJB1.gif
82% Game Night
-
-
aAS8X.gif
33% The Hurricane Heist
-
-
aAS8X.gif
39% Gringo
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
86% Thoroughbreds

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Black Panther’ Tops ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ in Disney-Dominant Weekend

“Black Panther” remained superheroic in its fourth weekend at the North American box office with $41.1 million at 3,942 locations, easily topping the opening weekend of fantasy-adventure “A Wrinkle in Time” with $33.5 million at 3,980 sites, estimates showed Sunday.

What had been pegged as a close contest among Disney titles for first place turned into a relatively easy victory for “Black Panther.” The Marvel title generated the third-highest fourth weekend of all time, trailing only “Avatar” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

With $562 million in 24 days, “Black Panther” is now the seventh-highest domestic grosser of all time. It’s the first film since “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” to lead the North American box office for four straight weekends.

“A Wrinkle in Time” opened in line with Disney’s projections, which were slightly lower than the industry consensus. Critics were mostly unimpressed with a 42% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and audiences gave “Wrinkle” a B CinemaScore. The $100 million-plus budgeted film is depending on family audiences to support the film in the coming weeks to push it into profitability.

A total of 37% of audiences gave “Wrinkle” an “excellent” rating with another 38% rating it “very good,” according to comScore/Screen Engine PostTrak. Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore, noted that the key 13-17 year-old demographic gave it an 83% combined score in those two catgories. “That is very strong and makes sense with the PG rating, the subject matter and young people’s love for the book,” he added.

Based on Madeleine L’Engle’s 1962 classic fantasy novel, “A Wrinkle in Time” stars Storm Reid, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Zach Galifianakis, Chris Pine, Mindy Kaling and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. The film follows a young girl (Reid), her step-brother (Deric McCabe), and a friend (Levi Miller) as they embark on a journey that spans time and space in search of her missing father.

The weekend marks the first time in recent memory that films both led and directed by African-Americans have nabbed the first and second place spots at the box office. Jordan Peele’s “Get Out,” starring Daniel Kaluuya, led the box office its opening weekend in February 2017, with $33.3 million. The wide release of “Hidden Figures,” starring Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae, opened at no. 1 in January of the same year with $22.8 million.

Dave Hollis, president of worldwide distribution for Disney, told Variety that “Black Panther” and “A Wrinkle in Time” accounted and inclusion through their portrayals of strong female and minority characters.

“Audiences respond to seeing themselves on the big screen and it’s good business for us,” he added. “Representation and inclusion matter.”

Hollis also predicted that “A Wrinkle in Time” has the next four weekends during spring vacations from schools. He noted that Disney has traditionally opened a family film in early March to take advantage of the family demographic, as it did last year with “Beauty and the Beast” and in 2016 with “Zootopia.”

Overall domestic box office was $137 million, down 17% from the same weekend a year ago when “Kong: Skull Island” opened with $61 million. But year-to-date box office is up 7.4% to $2.31 billion, according to comScore. That gain comes largely from “Black Panther” and “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.”

The opening of Aviron Pictures’ “The Strangers: Prey at Night” led the rest of the pack in third with $10.5 million at 2,464 venues. Directed by Johannes Roberts, the horror sequel to 2008’s “The Strangers” stars Christina Hendricks, Martin Henderson, Bailee Madison, and Lewis Pullman.

Fox’s second weekend of Jennifer Lawrence’s spy thriller “Red Sparrow” followed in fourth with $8.2 million at 3,064 sites with a 52% decline. “Sparrow” has topped $31 million in its first 10 days.

More to come

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
For all the positive reviews of things, there's nothing in the theater right now that even catches a quarter of my attention enough to see. I remember even just a few years ago there'd always be at least SOMETHING interesting.

Doom85

Been a solid movie year so far for me. Black Panther and Game Night were great, Annihilation was excellent, and A Wrinkle in Time was fairly good. Only weak film so far was Indisious: The Last Key where the only good elements were Lin Shaye's performance and this one creepy scene where she's trapped in a small room with someone else. Shame considering I thought 3 was a step up from 2 but 4 is definitely the weakest one in the series.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Like I've said before, I think every big release in March is going to underperform. Estimates for Tomb Raider have its opening weekend below the 2001 movie. And nobody in the US cared about Pacific Rim the first time around, so it'll just be this year's Power Rangers.

Black Panther might be able to grab #1 next weekend, which is wild. Marvel better start marketing Infinity War as a BP sequel lol

Spheyr

Banned
Oh! I have to take back what I said, I completely forgot about Tomb Raider. That's on my gotta see list.

Batjag

Not surprising. Rob Cohen is a terrible director. I don't know how he's still getting feature film budgets in this day and age.

Like I've said before, I think every big release in March is going to underperform. Estimates for Tomb Raider have its opening weekend below the 2001 movie. And nobody in the US cared about Pacific Rim the first time around, so it'll just be this year's Power Rangers.

Black Panther might be able to grab #1 next weekend, which is wild. Marvel better start marketing Infinity War as a BP sequel lol

Infinity War will do fine on its own. The question, though, is how it will perform compared to BP. One billion world-wide in 26 days? Will IW make it in three? Two?

BP is still out-performing brand new movies in a weekend. IW is getting a head start with Blockbuster season. Will be interesting who has the longest legs.

Future

Hard to believe how much reach black panther is getting. I barely even knew about this character growing up and it wasn’t a household name like spidey or avengers. The only hype it had for me was his appearance in civil war was pretty cool

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hard to believe how much reach black panther is getting. I barely even knew about this character growing up and it wasn’t a household name like spidey or avengers. The only hype it had for me was his appearance in civil war was pretty cool

Great point! I never knew who he was either. But now he's my favorite super hero. I hope A Wrinkle in Time can make at least $100 Million in Domestically.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'd say Marvel's greatest strength as a studio has been turning C and B list characters into billion dollar franchises. Guardians of the Galaxy was a deep cut even if you read comics regularly. Now they're making more money off just these characters than the entirety of the comic book industry combined.

I'd say Marvel's greatest strength as a studio has been turning C and B list characters into billion dollar franchises. Guardians of the Galaxy was a deep cut even if you read comics regularly. Now they're making more money off just these characters than the entirety of the comic book industry combined.

Great point.

I had no idea who or what Guardians were and I'm relatively comics-competent.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's insane that more people now would like to see a movie of the Guardians, than a Superman movie.

Top Bottom