• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 03•16-18•18 - In its 5th straight week at #1 Black Panther crosses $600m domestic #WakandaForever

xaosslug

XMrtPMo.jpg
YMiHw68.jpg
rE5dWPZ.jpg
g4ibaAO.jpg
2wNO7V8.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
97% Black Panther
eptv7.gif
49% Tomb Raider
8mB0Q.gif
58% I Can Only Imagine
3Pj0x.gif
40% A Wrinkle in Time
0hJB1.gif
91% Love, Simon
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
22% 7 Days in Entebbe

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Black Panther’ Surpasses ‘Tomb Raider’ for Fifth Box Office Crown

Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” has maintained its momentum at the domestic box office, winning its fifth consecutive weekend with $27 million from 3,834 locations.

Alicia Vikander’s “Tomb Raider” finished second in its opening weekend in line with expectations with $23.5 million from 3,854 sites for Warner Bros. and MGM. Lionsgate-Roadside Attractions’ faith-based drama “I Can Only Imagine” outperformed forecasts with $17.1 million at 1,629 venues.

Disney’s second weekend of time-travel adventure “A Wrinkle in Time” followed in fourth with $16.6 million at 3,980 locations, lifitng its 10-day total to $61.1 million. Fox’s launch of gay teen comedy-drama “Love, Simon” took fifth with $11.5 million at 2,402 venues.

“Black Panther” has become only the seventh title to pass the $600 million milestone at the North American box office, and is the second-fastest film to do so. It’s the fourth-highest fifth weekend of all time, and the first time a film has held the top spot for five weekends in a row since 2009’s “Avatar.”

The overall box office took in about $130 million, down 50% from the same weekend last year when Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” opened with $174.5 million. Thanks to “Black Panther,” the year-to-date box office is up 2% over the same period a year ago at $2.5 billion, according to comScore.

“‘Black Panther’ continues to astonish as it shows incredible strength fully five weeks into its amazing run as it takes on another batch of notable newcomers and comes out on top,” said Paul Degarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

More to come

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Those faith based movies really sneak up on everybody. I Can Only Imagine double predictions. Good haul for Love Simon, I think it'll have nice holds and kill on streaming and Blu-ray

Probably the last week for Black Panther at #1 but Wakanda Forever! I'm guessing Pacific Rim Uprising opens in the low 20s next week.

Xiaoki

Infinity War's numbers are going to be insane :eek:.
Maybe.

Black Panther has had a social movement behind it and zero competition.

Putting aside WakandaForever, BPs first 2 months at the box office its biggest competition is a bunch of overhyped crap. A Wrinkle in Time, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and Ready Player One.

Now, look at Infinity War's first 2 months. Deadpool, Solo and Incredibles 2. Solo could go either way but Deadpool and Incredibles 2 will definitely be huge.

Perhaps, Marvel should start thinking about putting their biggest release of the year in front. The summer box office boost doesnt seem to be a factor anymore.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Maybe.

Putting aside WakandaForever, BPs first 2 months at the box office its biggest competition is a bunch of overhyped crap. A Wrinkle in Time, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim and Ready Player One.

Now, look at Infinity War's first 2 months. Deadpool, Solo and Incredibles 2. Solo could go either way but Deadpool and Incredibles 2 will definitely be huge.

Perhaps, Marvel should start thinking about putting their biggest release of the year in front. The summer box office boost doesnt seem to be a factor anymore.

Yep, there were a lot of films last year that probably would've done a wee bit better if they didn't launch in summer. War for the Planet of the Apes, Atomic Blonde, maybe even Valerian. Too many studios try to cram into May, June, and July and they sleep on August or even September.

A solid, but unremarkable movie can have some serious legs in those late summer/early fall spots. And nowadays you got Deadpool and Black Panther both seriously over performing in February.

Maybe.

BP was released in February because of Black History Month. It is unlikely that there will be a January release because of the Christmas lethargy. Plus, Star Wars always comes out in December, and Disney does not want to compete with itself.

February is usually a dead month. But as you have already indicated, there's a social movement behind BP. A friend of mine just took 100 Baltimore kids to see it this past weekend. Another group of local friends still have not seen the movie, and I'm thinking about taking them. It would be the 3rd time for me, and the 4th time for a mutual friend.

I only plan on seeing Infinity War once like I typically do. BP is a domestic anomaly.

What are the Odds that Pacific Rim 2 will over take Black Panther next week.

I think Pacific Rim will take #1 for one week and BP will return to #1 the following week when everyone remembers that Pacific Rim is a B-tier film with a AAA budget.

Last edited:

God Enel

Why is black panther at 97%? It was okay but not like it was something new/special imho. Same shit as iron man or dr strange or any other superhero flick.

Grizzlyjin

What are the Odds that Pacific Rim 2 will over take Black Panther next week.

Almost certainly. BP would need a very small drop and PRU would have to come in under projections for Panther to keep the crown. Maybe if PR got savaged in reviews and came in under $20M somehow, they could fight for #1. I wouldn't bet on that happening though

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BP was released in February because of Black History Month. It is unlikely that there will be a January release because of the Christmas lethargy. Plus, Star Wars always comes out in December, and Disney does not want to compete with itself.

February is usually a dead month. But as you have already indicated, there's a social movement behind BP. A friend of mine just took 100 Baltimore kids to see it this past weekend. Another group of local friends still have not seen the movie, and I'm thinking about taking them. It would be the 3rd time for me, and the 4th time for a mutual friend.

I only plan on seeing Infinity War once like I typically do. BP is a domestic anomaly..

None of what you said explains why Black Panther has made almost half of it's total money Internationally. It's not just a domestic anomaly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Top Bottom