• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Nev

Banned
I hadn't had such a good laugh since Gotg 2's 1237 quips.

You guys should write the next one. Wit's thru the roof.

fEwgaaQ.gif

kswiston

800k more horrible spinoff pitches from Sony?

Since the Marvel deal is going so well, Sony will work with Fox Searchlight to make the Wrestler part of the Spider-man Cinematic Universe. Stay tuned for the bridge movie in 2019, detailing May's journey from a washed up stripper under the Alias Pam, to the loving Aunt of Peter after his parents disappear. Rated R, because that's the new superhero hotness.

Since the Marvel deal is going so well, Sony will work with Fox Searchlight to make the Wrestler part of the Spider-man Cinematic Universe. Stay tuned for the bridge movie in 2019, detailing May's journey from a washed up stripper under the Alias Pam, to the loving Aunt of Peter after his parents disappear. Rated R, because that's the new superhero hotness.

While we discover that Randy Robinson is really Ivan Vanko's twin brother, and it is all a ploy to get back at Stark for revenge.

Nah, they'll just adapt Trouble by Mark Millar as the Aunt May origin:

Mickey Rourke absolutely hates Marvel Studios, but his career has turned to direct to digital fare. Who knows if he'll return to his iconic role as guy walking into a race track that nobody thought to shoot.

As a Spider-Man fan I couldn't care less about Iron Man v Spider-Man: Yawn of Nostakes but you're delusional if you honestly believe it won't reach a minimum of 800k.

You know Stark/Iron Man are probably going to take up ten minutes of screen time, right?

kswiston

Mickey Rourke absolutely hates Marvel Studios, but his career has turned to direct to digital fare. Who knows if he'll return to his iconic role as guy walking into a race track that nobody thought to shoot.

Isn't Rourke a bit of a nutball? It didn't take him long to blow through the goodwill that The Wrestler (and Sin City) earned him.

Nev

Banned
You know Stark/Iron Man are probably going to take up ten minutes of screen time, right?

The amount of time RDJ is on screen is ultimately not as important as the fact that the movie revolves about Spiderman proving himself to Stark/Avengers.

He could have 15 minutes of screentime and all of them could be key moments of the narrative. Like 5 minutes to set up the whole chunin avenger exam thing, 5 minutes to take the suit from Peter and 5 to wrap it up when Spiderman redeems himself.

There you have it, 15 minutes of RDJ and still the main character only after SM.

Vulture is apparently motivated by Iron Man's doings if I'm correct so yeah, Iron Man 4.

Will eat Vulture's wings on a plate if that's not the case at all.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Isn't Rourke a bit of a nutball? It didn't take him long to blow through the goodwill that The Wrestler (and Sin City) earned him.

Dude blew through it almost immediately when he considered working a WWE match at Wrestlemania. Like you made a film about how awful the business can be, and your take from that is "I wanna wrestle Chris Jericho?"

Dude killed his own career before he'd even got to the Oscars,

kswiston

I've been calling folks n3rdz
on GameFAQs' contests board
since y'all were like 30

I want to know when Bobby started using the internet. Is there anyone here with an internet history that predates the World Wide Web?

I got my connection in 1995, so the worldwide web was up and running. My first version of Internet Explorer was version 2. I used Netscape Navigator as well, but I can't remember if I started at version 3 or 4.

Anyone who was active on the net in the mid-90s will probably remember the how slow big companies were to get onto the bandwagon. You had billion dollar corporations with a web presence that wasn't much better than what fans were making on Geocities.

I can't remember exactly when (official) online trailers became a thing (late 90s?), but we were stuck downloading them in Realplayer and Quicktime for several years.

This is the first box office site that I can remember using: http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/ . It looked the same 20 years ago.

Box Office Mojo didn't exist at the time. Box Office Guru and The-Numbers followed that, before I found Mojo in the early 00s.

I want to know when Bobby started using the internet. Is there anyone here with an internet history that predates the World Wide Web?

95 is about right: One of my friends graduated high school and started attending the college in town. I used to swing by his dorm to play video games and listen to music, and the library had PCs connected to usenet/newsgroups via PINE reader. Started visiting movie/music groups almost immediately. rec.music.hip-hop and rec.arts.sci-fi.starwars were the main two.

I graduated in 96, and that's when I started messing with browsers (used Netscape!) and finding script download websites at his library. 97 I bought my own PC and got my first internet connect? I wanna say 98 is when cable internet first popped up (maybe it was 99) and I jumped all over that.

online trailers/video started to be a thing around 98/99, yeah. Phantom Menace trailer was the first real impact on that front.

kswiston

Broadband was rare in Canada until the early 00s. I knew a small handful of kids in high school with a CD-Writer and a DSL connection. They made more selling pirated mixed CDs than I did working 20 hours a week as a grocery store clerk. People gladly paid $10 a pop for a "customized" cd with 15 tracks, or whatever it was that fit on the 72 minutes.

The Phantom Menace was the first "still in theatres" film that I can remember someone at my school pirating online. One of those too dark to see copies with the Korean (?) subtitles and people walking in front of the screen. It wasn't worth watching, but people still thought that it was magic.

Piracy killing the movie industry became a big talking point a few years after.

Oh yeah, the first camcordered bootleg I can remember was a 480x272 .mpeg copy of Phantom Menace split across 2 discs. I don't remember what fileshare program I used, I think it mighta been an IRC channel?

72min/800mb (if you set the burner to overburn)

Although I think maybe back then even if you overburned you could only get to 750mb?

I'm old. Shit's fuzzy. But compression back then sucked and it wasn't until .divx showed up that the notion of fitting a movie on a single cd (at a watchable resolution) was like... wizardry.

Bronx-Man

Banned
800k more horrible spinoff pitches from Sony?

Well they already apparently approved IRON MAN v. SPIDER HAM YOR OF THE HILL PEOPLE or whatever he said

I hadn't had such a good laugh since Gotg 2's 1237 quips.

You guys should write the next one. Wit's thru the roof.

Yer a n3rd

While we discover that Randy Robinson is really Ivan Vanko's twin brother, and it is all a ploy to get back at Stark for revenge.

The bird was the friends we made along the way

He just wants his bird

You guys are losers.

I remember all the CDs/DVDs I wasted because the burn had an error half way in or even at 99%.

I don't miss those days. I think I lost most of my CDs to scratches as well. :/

Toa TAK

Banned
72min/800mb (if you set the burner to overburn)

Although I think maybe back then even if you overburned you could only get to 750mb?

I'm old. Shit's fuzzy. But compression back then sucked and it wasn't until .divx showed up that the notion of fitting a movie on a single cd (at a watchable resolution) was like... wizardry.
How did you people live back then?
You guys are losers.

Who are you Bronx?

WHO ARE YOU?

Checking the circular to see which electronics store had the best deal on a spindle of 50-100

Having to hear someone swear up and down one brand's disc had "better sound" than the other brand's

Checking out Napster/Kazaa/Limewire to find remixes of popular songs and discovering that to pirates:

anything metal = Metallica
anything ska = No Doubt
anything hip-hop = Dr. Dre
anything soundtrack = John Williams

kswiston

I have definitely watched movie trailers in 120p on Realplayer at least once in the past.

I remember all the CDs/DVDs I wasted because the burn had an error half way in or even at 99%.

I don't miss those days. I think I lost most of my CDs to scratches as well. :/

Did you like having to slow down your stride because walking too fast would eat through the 30-60 second anti-skip buffering on your discman?

border

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD

It's hard to believe I watched movies in this format, especially since the playback on a Dreamcast was often at poor framerates. I specifically remember watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The format was especially great for TV shows, since you could comfortably fit 1 episode on a disc (2 episodes if it was a half-hour show). Movies had to be split between 2 discs usually.

At the time though, there weren't a lot of options if you wanted to watch downloaded movies on a television set rather than your computer. It's sad to think how lazy I have become now, where I won't even bother watching a movie unless it's on Netflix or at Redbox. I used to be burning discs and FTPing into a hacked Xbox just to get something from my computer onto my TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD

It's hard to believe I watched movies in this format, especially since the playback on a Dreamcast was often at poor framerates.

YUUUUP. I remember copping a used Dreamcast in like, 2001 for $40 at a Game Stop (I think it was a Game Stop?) and finding out how the world of boot discs worked.

(only just sold that poor workhorse this last year, too. Was still ticking along like over a decade hadn't passed)

kswiston

I still have my Dreamcast. I think that I basically keep it around for my preferred versions of MvC2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 though.

It looks like Monday and Tuesday are being treated like part of a 5-day Holiday weekend.

Deadline is reporting a 5-day estimate of $99M for DM3 and $38M for Baby Driver.
The House is expected to make $12M over the entire 5-day stretch.

They also updated the Apes tracking to $70M opening weekend, which is more in line with the last film.

Top Bottom