• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow--did not expect The House to bomb like that. Advertising was all over the place for that and has been for months.

Ridley327

Expectations should've always been around where The Nice Guys fell, and Baby Driver is literally a day or two away from beating TNG's domestic total.

In a year that saw the release of BvS and Suicide Squad, WB moving that film to the same day as whatever Neighbors they were up to these days might have actually been the dumbest thing they did that year.

Lima

Expectations should've always been around where The Nice Guys fell, and Baby Driver is literally a day or two away from beating TNG's domestic total.

The Nice Guys doing so little made me sad. Was my favorite movie of the summer last year. Crowe was hilarious.

I think it was because Bronson gave it his seal of approval.

Toothless

Wow--did not expect The House to bomb like that. Advertising was all over the place for that and has been for months.

Really? I see about two movies a week in theaters and have never gotten a trailer for it. On TV, I've seen an ad for maybe once, and that was about two days ago. The only reason I even realized it existed before this weekend was a poster at my local theater. I think marketing on it was shockingly low considering the talent involved, but I guess WB just wanted to cut their losses considering those reviews.

kswiston

DM3 is also performing much more closely to 2 than Minions overseas, so it does look like it will gross around the same $850M WW as Guardians 2.*

*Assuming crazy shit doesn't happen in China for DM3.

The Chinese BOT members are expecting $90-100M.

Despicable Me 3 does have the benefit of being the last Hollywood film to open there before the summer local film protection period. Spider-Man et al. are going to have to wait until August to see Chinese money.

The-Numbers is now reporting that same $16.1M for Wonder Woman. So maybe there was an update from the original $15.5M estimate.

ArmGunar

The-Numbers is now reporting that same $16.1M for Wonder Woman. So maybe there was an update from the original $15.5M estimate.

cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

I think it's just that the comedies being turned out look like unimaginative repetitive bullshit. None of them look appealing at all. Not even on an LCD level.

It's funny because how a certain section of people feel about the MCU is how I've felt about the last few years' of comedies.

They're either:

a) a house party movie

b) (Mostly) white dudes/gals painting NYC or LA red

It's improv heavy but they end up with the same Apatow-esque insult jokes anyway

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wow Despicable Me at $75M, was expecting low $80M debut.

T5 had a better hold than anticipated, Paramount need all the money they can get.

It's weird, I always thought that T5 would finish with a higher gross than PotC5 WW - who would have thought.

kswiston

vinnygambinkķmi;242416980 said:
Wow Despicable Me at $75M, was expecting low $80M debut.

T5 had a better hold than anticipated, Paramount need all the money they can get.

It's weird, I always thought that T5 would finish with a higher gross than PotC5 WW - who would have thought.

It think that we made the same mistake as we made with Ice Age last year. Thinking that Foreign audiences were fine with the Transformers stuff they were getting, and that the freefall domestically would be muted some in the worldwide gross.

It's funny because how a certain section of people feel about the MCU is how I've felt about the last few years' of comedies.

They're either:

a) a house party movie

b) (Mostly) white dudes/gals painting NYC or LA red

It's improv heavy but they end up with the same Apatow-esque insult jokes anyway

Also, none of these films are reading the room all that well, I don't think. Rough Night especially. Wonder Woman drops and starts cleanin house, being all inspirational and uplifting.

And here's this almost decade-late riff on "The Hangover" that's basically "Rich Cokehead White Women Kill a Stripper LOL" and like - who's really feeling that right now? Who wants to take time out of their day to check out a Broad City sketch stretched at minimum 5x past its ideal length?

Nobody's really feeling that vibe right now

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It think that we made the same mistake as we made with Ice Age last year. Thinking that Foreign audiences were fine with the Transformers stuff they were getting, and that the freefall domestically would be muted some in the worldwide gross.

True. It's just surprising really. Pirates is actually doing much better domestically than I thought it would and if it weren't for the current exchange rates, it would have achieved $1B WW or close to it so clearly audiences are still loving the franchise, but Transformers damn, did not expect such a heavy drop, domestically yes but internationally, nope.

Baby Driver's budget at least keeps the return reasonable.

Such a bummer that two of my recent favorites haven't lit up the box office and a major way. (I was hoping for 40 mil . . . I didn't realize the expectations were so low to begin with though.)

The Nice Guys doing so little made me sad. Was my favorite movie of the summer last year. Crowe was hilarious.

I think it was because Bronson gave it his seal of approval.

False, I purposely skipped screening of Nice Guys

I killed it because Disco talked about it!

Theecliff

Banned
happy baby driver is doing better than expected, expected it to completely bomb for a while now. at least here in the uk sony seem to be pushing it a surprising amount. that'll no doubt stop as soon as spider-man drops but hopefully it'll be enough for the film to do decently.

Toothless

Starting to think Sony will be desperate to give Lord/Miller a huge paycheck to make MIB23 for next summer. They're available and a script is done. If they shoot by October, it can be out by next summer following 22JS' production schedule. Question is will Lord/Miller do Flash instead?

22 Jump Street was the last huge comedy; would think a third one with the quality of the first two would be at least as big as 22.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seeing Baby Driver, an original movie directed by Edgar Wright, debut above the second weekend of a Transformers movie makes me so happy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Starting to think Sony will be desperate to give Lord/Miller a huge paycheck to make MIB23 for next summer. They're available and a script is done. If they shoot by October, it can be out by next summer following 22JS' production schedule. Question is will Lord/Miller do Flash instead?

22 Jump Street was the last huge comedy; would think a third one with the quality of the first two would be at least as big as 22.

Deal is likely done already.

Great to see Baby Driver striking gold; I'm sure the heavily-American casting didn't hurt.
I want to imagine Trans5 not making it to 200 domestic to complete it's humilation. Am I kidding myself?

Also, on the topic of the vile American comedies that have been a thing for about a decade or so (not to say 2017 comedies are the same brand, but that's kind of what American comedies tend to be now) and Michael Bay vileness finally being shown the door that they should have shown a decade ago, it is worth pointing out that the 2016 election and its outcome of a Trump presidency have made people appreciate that all things are political and have consequences. (which for some reason people had forgotten)

So, killing off the Sandler-brand of 'racism is fun' comedy might actually be something we can thank Trump for.
Ditto on Bay, who somehow does both that AND proactively seeks to sabotage himself with his latest doodoo. You'd almost think he actively hates having to make Transformers movies, yet they keep hiring him for some reason.

Wondy 5th wknd 16M bigger than
TDKR 5th weekend - 11 million,
AoU 5th weekend - 11.4 million,
Spider-Man 5th weekend - 14.3 million.

Toothless

Baby Driver should hold next week btw. Believe it should get the majority of drive-in screens with Spider-Man since Sony trumps Marvel in the studio hierarchy there.

Ashhong

It was only a matter of time before RT became as influential as it is today. I'm surprised it took this long tbh. Yelp did it much quicker

Also, on the topic of the vile American comedies that have been a thing for about a decade or so (not to say 2017 comedies are the same brand, but that's kind of what American comedies tend to be now) and Michael Bay vileness finally being shown the door that they should have shown a decade ago, it is worth pointing out that the 2016 election and its outcome of a Trump presidency have made people appreciate that all things are political and have consequences. (which for some reason people had forgotten)

So, killing off the Sandler-brand of 'racism is fun' comedy might actually be something we can thank Trump for.
Ditto on Bay, who somehow does both that AND proactively seeks to sabotage himself with his latest doodoo. You'd almost think he actively hates having to make Transformers movies, yet they keep hiring him for some reason.

I honestly don't think this is true.

Seeing Baby Driver, an original movie directed by Edgar Wright, debut above the second weekend of a Transformers movie makes me so happy.

It feels funny considering all the doom and gloom "wah no original movies", "wah rotten tomatoes" hoopla that's been going around lately.

Vectorman

Banned
It was only a matter of time before RT became as influential as it is today. I'm surprised it took this long tbh. Yelp did it much quicker
That's also because people are actually taking time to think about purchasing tickets to actual good films. Rising ticket prices and an easy to access movie streaming with quick theater to home turnarounds on films have really affected that.

I don't think it's RT as much as the influx of "review drama" that Youtubers have obviously been able to make good money on as their influence is probably increasing over print media.

I mean, I'm not the only person to never read a review anymore yet actively seek Double Toasted, Gremlinproduction (cinemasnob), RLM, and even Angry Joe videos on 'just how bad is it' after 2016 thought us all to never trust reviews of movies ever again. Because with the editing DISASTERS that 2016 shat out, you'd be a fool to watch a movie blindly now. I mean, ID4-2. Ghostbusters, BvS, Suicide Squad... even if you like those movies, you can't make an argument about them having good editing in good faith of reasonable discussion. Because they don't have it.

And somehow TF5's is even worse. I mean, HOW? How can anything be WORSE?

So yeah, that's why you now want reviewers to suffer instead of having to do it yourself, and more importantly, it's free to watch them suffer while saving yourself both money and suffering, while getting some entertainment out of watching people squirm instead.

different topic:

I honestly don't think this is true.

Compare reviews and general responses of audiences of previous Bay movies with the exact same garbage in his latest one. It's not a big effect, but it's there. People are more galvanized and willing to call something out now than they were a few years ago.

That's not always a good thing, but as a non-American I haven't seen a good American comedy in twenty years. Not counting the cornetto's because they're all Brits.

kswiston

The Dark Knight made another $62M after a similar sized 5th weekend. Wonder Woman is unlikely to match that for various reasons, but I suppose that gives you an idea of an upper end.

Toothless

It feels funny considering all the doom and gloom "wah no original movies", "wah rotten tomatoes" hoopla that's been going around lately.

It's funny because last year at this point, we had only four non-sequels (and one sorta sequel, depending how you want to classify BvS) pass 100M, and, out of those, only one wholly original film (Zootopia). This year, we've had three sorta sequels/sorta originals, four additional non-sequels, and out of those four, two were wholly original ideas (I'm counting the Boss Baby here because it's based off an obscure book).

Financially, original ideas are clearly doing better this year.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's funny because last year at this point, we had only four non-sequels (and one sorta sequel, depending how you want to classify BvS) pass 100M, and, out of those, only one wholly original film (Zootopia). This year, we've had two sorta sequels/sorta originals, five additional non-sequels, and out of those five, three were wholly original ideas (I'm counting the Boss Baby here because it's based off an obscure book).

Financially, original ideas are clearly doing better this year.
But the thinkpieces told me REAL CINEMA is doomed

I mean, I'm not the only person to never read a review anymore yet actively seek Double Toasted, Gremlinproduction (cinemasnob), RLM, and even Angry Joe videos on 'just how bad is it' after 2016 thought us all to never trust reviews of movies ever again.

Why do you hurt yourself when you don't have to?

This is self-harm, Freeza.

Vanish

Wondy 5th wknd 16M bigger than
TDKR 5th weekend - 11 million,
AoU 5th weekend - 11.4 million,
Spider-Man 5th weekend - 14.3 million.

Yet it'll fail to reach the domestic total of any of them. Kinda weird how that works. But still far better performance than I ever expected from Wonder Woman. Congrats.

Happy to see comedies like The House and Baywatch underperform. Hoping the same hate befalls Daddy's Home 2 if the film ends up being as lazily-written as some of the other comedies that have come out this year.

Top Bottom