• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0825-2717 - Guys & doll cut dancer off at knees, Hawkeye & Wanda team up meh

It is looking likely that IT will finally help September shed its shame as the month with the lowest opening weekend record. Anything over $56M puts October at the bottom of the pack.

Good, but not fantastic for a superhero film. Which means not very good. Wonder Woman might make $15M in Japan.

There goes my hope of it surpassing BvS.

Hows it looking for WW to overtake Spiderman1 worldwide?

kswiston

Valerian made about $28M in China this weekend. It is not expected to have good legs though. Especially since the release slate is crowded.

Valerian will probably end in the $220-250M worldwide range. Not the biggest flop of the summer, but still pretty terrible.

There goes my hope of it surpassing BvS.

Hows it looking for WW to overtake Spiderman1 worldwide?

It will be close.

GhaleonEB

Why did Cameron spend all that time and money doing a 3D remaster of Terminator 2, only to dump it exclusively into AMC theaters? 500 screens? No wonder I couldn't find the thing anywhere.

Box office is such a wasteland right now a wide opening with a half-decent marking push would have done something decent.

gamz

Why did Cameron spend all that time and money doing a 3D remaster of Terminator 2, only to dump it exclusively into AMC theaters? 500 screens? No wonder I couldn't find the thing anywhere.

Box office is such a wasteland right now a wide opening with a half-decent marking push would have done something decent.

I think I read a while back that China footed the bill to release it in China. I could be wrong tho?

JeTmAn81

Dark Tower is at $88 million worldwide, will probably end up profitable. It's the #7 all time grossing King property (inflation not considered).

Check out Mr. Mercedes everyone!

BumRush

Wolf Warrior's run is wrapping up. It might pass $850M in China, but I doubt it hits $900M.

Also, Wonder Woman's reign in the Super Hero Top 5 will probably be short lived. If Justice League doesn't get there, Infinity War will.

China's box office is one of those things that I'll just NEVER understand

---------------------------------

Also, T23D didn't crack top 20???

If IT hits, and IT: Part 2 also catches on, how long until IT: Part 3: Pennywise Resurrected?

Or do they just do another King book and try to market it as a continuation?

I suspect IT's success may make Warner green light another King adaptation that can be split into multiple films allowing for a faithful adaptation. The Stand would make a ton of sense since its already segmented as a book. A 4 150 minute film big adaptation of The Stand done right could be huge.

Worldwide Updates:
The Emoji Movie - $144M

and this bastard is still in the Top 10 domestic.

JZtilFr.gif

Nelo Ice

Banned
Watched Logan Lucky and Wind River the past 2 days. Both were definitely worth the Moviepass. Wish they were doing better. I went in completely blind too knew next to nothing about them besides reading here they were worth a watch.

kswiston

Depends on China, certainly possible. Hacksaw Ridge managed 60m there so a similar figure should do?

Dunkirk will need to make $50-60M between China, Japan, and Italy to hit the $500M mark, depending on how the holdover markets do through September.

I'm guessing that Italy will end up with a total similar to Spain for Dunkirk ($8-10M). No idea how the film will do in Japan.

I saw Wind River this past weekend. Great film, it deserves to seen in theaters. The cinematography is fantastic. Between Wind River, Hell or High Water, and Sicario, Taylor Sheridan has really become a household name in screenwriting.

Litan

I saw Wind River this past weekend. Great film, it deserves to seen in theaters. The cinematography is fantastic. Between Wind River, Hell or High Water, and Sicario, Taylor Sheridan has really become a household name in screenwriting.
No-one's a household name in screenwriting.

Tfw you have to wait at least another year or two before you hear about what Nolan got planned next
Sucks it's a couple of years off but at least it's really not that long in the scheme of movie releases. Dude is actually pretty productive considering his bread and butter are $100 million+ blockbusters. We'll probably get something by 2020.

kswiston

giphy.gif

True...true...

If we limit the discussion to people who at least have some interest in how films are made, I'd say that screenwriters are fairly high up as far as being names that people can place with films. Directors get all of the glory (or derision), but people are more likely to know who wrote a film than who did the editing or sound mixing.

Best Screenplay is treated as the third biggest non-acting award at the Oscars, after Best Picture and Director.

HotHamBoy

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $972M
Wolf Warrior 2 - $811M in China
Wonder Woman - $806M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $737M
Transformers 5 - $604M
Dunkirk - $412M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $360M
Cars 3 - $325M
Annabelle Creation - $215M
Baby Driver - $194M
The Emoji Movie - $144M
The Dark Tower - $89M
Atomic Blonde - $81M

Jesus christ.

I watched Power Rangers on a transatlantic flight today.

It wasn't too bad until it became a Power Rangers movie.

It was a legit tale of two movies.

Busty

Banned
Dark Tower is at $88 million worldwide, will probably end up profitable.

At this point I really don't see Dark Tower being profitable off it's theatrical release. It would need at least $150m for that once you factor in the P&A spend globally and i don't think that's going to happen.

Man, considering the grand plans Sony apparently had for the Dark Tower as a franchise across film & TV this must be a real kick in the spheres for Rothman and Co given that it was his baby.

If we limit the discussion to people who at least have some interest in how films are made, I'd say that screenwriters are fairly high up as far as being names that people can place with films. Directors get all of the glory (or derision), but people are more likely to know who wrote a film than who did the editing or sound mixing.

Best Screenplay is treated as the third biggest non-acting award at the Oscars, after Best Picture and Director.

I feel like Cinematography has got to be up there too as far as recognition right?

DJChuy

Saw Annabelle today. First movie I used moviepass with, and it was pretty good actually. Bring on the next spin-offs.

Had no idea Wind River is from the same guy from Sicario/Hell or High Water. Loved both movies.

Prompto

Banned
Well I did my part and saw Terminator 2 3D this weekend

The ride/video at Universal Studios. Not the re-release.

kswiston

Cinematography is definitely lower than both screenplays (original and adapted), the only question is if it's below best original song?

People only care about original song when it is a mainstream artist up for an award.

Movie scores have their fan followings though.

Top Bottom