• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0825-2717 - Guys & doll cut dancer off at knees, Hawkeye & Wanda team up meh

People only care about original song when it is a mainstream artist up for an award.

Movie scores have their fan followings though.

But depending on how loose your definition of mainstream is, wouldn't that be like nearly every year? Last year had Justin Timberlake nominated (and Lin-Manuel going for the EGOT, but I don't know that I'd consider him mainstream). 2015 had Sam Smith beating Lady Gaga and The Weeknd. 2014 had Common & John Legend beating Tegan & Sara with Lonely Island. 2013 was Let It Go beating Happy (Pharrell) and U2 and Karen O. And so on.

Editing should have much more fanfare at awards. The editor is definitely the unsung hero of the movie. We only tend to talk about it when it's noticeably awful like Suicide Squad.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Cinematography is definitely lower than both screenplays (original and adapted), the only question is if it's below best original song?

Cinematography is probably the lowest in term of househeld appeal from the main categories.

Actor > Director > Composer(Where I put best original song) > Producer > Screenwriter > Cinematography.

Cinematography is probably the lowest in term of househeld appeal from the main categories.

Actor > Director > Composer(Where I put best original song) > Producer > Screenwriter > Cinematography.

Producer is probably higher than composer. Producer names tend to get plastered all over marketing and often have 'brands' attached to them. In some cases, the producer gets more attention than the director.

Whereas most people only really care about the composer if its Williams or Zimmer.

I feel like this is one of those movies that may blow past tracking as it closes in on release. I can't remember the last time I heard so many people interested in a movie, not even the last Star Wars. Obviously I'm not suggesting it'll be remotely that big but it really seems to have reached the general public. It's one of those movies people love talking about and I think that'll help it a lot.

CobbFC09

I saw Wind River this past weekend. Great film, it deserves to seen in theaters. The cinematography is fantastic. Between Wind River, Hell or High Water, and Sicario, Taylor Sheridan has really become a household name in screenwriting.
Fantastic film and one of my favorite of the year so far (seen 40 for reference). Definitely worth seeing in theaters.

Cvie

I feel like this is one of those movies that may blow past tracking as it closes in on release. I can't remember the last time I heard so many people interested in a movie, not even the last Star Wars. Obviously I'm not suggesting it'll be remotely that big but it really seems to have reached the general public. It's one of those movies people love talking about and I think that'll help it a lot.

I think Deadpool would be a better example. Star Wars had juggernaut marketing and mainstream interest but Deadpool you could feel the hype build over time. I don't think It make as much as Dp but it seems like it will definately be a big hit.

Miles X

I think Deadpool would be a better example. Star Wars had juggernaut marketing and mainstream interest but Deadpool you could feel the hype build over time. I don't think It make as much as Dp but it seems like it will definately be a big hit.

Deadpool opened at $130m, even half of that would be an amazing feat for an R rated horror.

So, T2 should get an expansion this weekend, and Close Encounters will be in theaters for one week only.

Talk all you want about there being nothing good this weekend, but having two all time classics on the big screen is a great thing. If I only have time for one this weekend, Close Encounters is it.

kswiston

I debated taking my daughter to a screening of Kiki's Delivery service that they had last week, but it was at 7pm, which is a bit late for a 3 year old.

Plus, not sure what sort of crowd that would draw.

I debated taking my daughter to a screening of Kiki's Delivery service that they had last week, but it was at 7pm, which is a bit late for a 3 year old.

Plus, not sure what sort of crowd that would draw.

Imagine like 200 clones of me, except older, fatter, and balder! I would just get her the Blu-Ray and watch it at home.

that's my favorite film

Also y'all should watch Death Note because my god what the fuck was that train wreck of a film

Apparently someone bought that red car from Baby Driver for $69K.

Also, the europe release date for Thor 3 changed again. Now it's even earlier than it was before.

Busty

Banned

And this is before the reviews hit. It's Wonder Woman tracking numbers all over again.

Telling ya, $75m + for opening weekend. $90m being top end of reviews are really, really good.

Absolutely. Horror films are sold on iconography and IT has perhaps the most startling and effective iconography in the 'killer clown' seen in years.

Anecdotally, I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that his 8 yo son asked him if the urban legend of the 'killer clowns' were real. I think this film has really penetrated into the consciousness of the film going public and could be absolutely huge.

Also y'all should watch Death Note because my god what the fuck was that train wreck of a film

Another bust for the Costco of films.

tonka

Apparently someone bought that red car from Baby Driver for $69K.

Also, the europe release date for Thor 3 changed again. Now it's even earlier than it was before.

Edgar Wright came out and said there were at least four on set, so not quite the rarity implied, but still pretty cool

Anecdotally, I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that his 8 yo son asked him if the urban legend of the 'killer clowns' were real. I think this film has really penetrated into the consciousness of the film going public and could be absolutely huge.

That's not related to film (at least not directly). That was a widespread urban legend from late last summer and fall. Here is a NY Times article on the phenomenon:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/opinion/sunday/what-do-the-scary-clowns-want.html?mcubz=0

It spread beyond the US too:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37567132

My kids were worried about going trick or treating last year because all of their friends were talking about this stuff.

Busty

Banned
That's not related to film (at least not directly). That was a widespread urban legend from late last summer and fall. Here is a NY Times article on the phenomenon:

I know, I was making the point that 'IT' has become a minor cultural event in and of itself bringing 'back' the killer clowns to these kids.

New Kingsman posters:
tzhtfcr4r8ngnp1uwxlj7mb9g.jpg

ebnmkfecxzphgu6ctnpjozag8.jpg

dpwgx3xdu3rie4dfkv4wl0x3g.jpg

BumRush

Finally got around to seeing Power Rangers yesterday and - despite having never seen an episode in my life - feel it deserved better.

It was cheesy as hell at times, but it was a fun little action film.

Talked to my wife tonight about Close Encounters coming back to theaters and possibly T2 getting an expansion. She was indifferent to seeing T2 in theaters, but was totally on board with driving an hour to a theater that had Close Encounters.
So many conflicting messages in that, but at least her love for Close Encounters and classic sci-fi is strong.
Now, if they ever do a special showing of the original Day the Earth Stood Still, we both will be there with a quickness.

Well, she has always respected Cameron, and still does even with all the bullshit. But her love of Terminator is not nearly as strong as mine. And her Cameron love is not as strong as mine either.
But her love of Close Encounters is extremely strong. She loves her some early Spielberg, but that film in particular is a big thing for her.
That and the original Day the Earth Stood Still are two of her all time faves.
Of course, she was the person that introduced me to BSG, and she did papers in college on the Dune and Lord of the Rings novels. Her love of Philip K. Dick is well beyond mine.
And you wonder why I feel so lucky to have found a person like that to marry.

Slayven

Finally got around to seeing Power Rangers yesterday and - despite having never seen an episode in my life - feel it deserved better.

It was cheesy as hell at times, but it was a fun little action film.

One of the greatest bitch slaps of all time

I can just see IT topping Valerian in a single day.

$40M opening day? Are you expecting $10-15M in previews?

I ALMOST made that joke, but refrained from it. An opening day or preview night like that would be fucking bonkers for a horror film anytime of the year, but in September?

Of course, if you are going to break the record, might as well rip its arm off and leave it to die in the sewer.

$40M opening day? Are you expecting $10-15M in previews?
I was thinking something along the lines of $10M in previews and then $25-30M for the rest of the day. I've seen a few people in the know already allude to presales being through the roof for this sort of film, so it maybe can sneak past Deadpool's $12.7M to net the R-rated record.

Paranormal Activity 3 made $8M at midnight on its way to a $26M opening day, so there's certainly precedent for a horror film to post a huge preview number.

Opening night horror film screenings are some of the most fun to be part of. Just the collective tension in the room, and then that sweet release from a laugh or a scream just enhances things.

Rumor going around that Suicide Squad 2 won't go into production until Fall next year due to clashing schedules due to Aladdin etc. Oh, and Whedon is getting a writing credit for JL.

On Maleficent 2:

After working with him on Cruella, Disney has hired Jez Butterworth to rewrite the script for MALEFICENT 2, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Joe Roth is producing the sequel, which will see Angelina Jolie reprise her role as the iconic Sleeping Beauty villain. Maleficent scribe Linda Woolverton wrote the initial draft of the screenplay.

Plot details remain unknown at this time, and any potential release date would depend on Jolie’s schedule.

Butterworth has written numerous studio movies including the James Bond film Spectre, the Tom Cruise vehicle Edge of Tomorrow, the Johnny Depp crime drama Black Mass, the James Brown biopic Get On Up and the Valerie Plame drama Fair Game. He’s also an acclaimed playwright who most recently co-created the upcoming Amazon series Brittania, which stars David Morrissey, Kelly Reilly and Mackenzie Crook.

Its probably for the best. For a quick second there it seemed like Box Office GAF was about to consume OT whole.

No one thread should have all that power.

kswiston

This happens unfortunately. The box office is so terrible right now that Cineplex in Canada is offering cheap Tuesday pricing all of this week, and then souble points redemption in their rewards card next week.

Top Bottom