• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

If that $14M Friday for Tarzan holds, the 4day opening will be in the $45M range. The box office bomb of the year thread loses its chosen son. Busty was right a couple of days ago.

All hail Gods of Egypt. Long may it reign in box office disgrace.

Somnia

lol @ someone telling me Purge wouldn't be ahead of BFG.

Word of mouth on Purge has been good plus the 2nd was a vast improvement over 1.

mreddie

If that $14M Friday for Tarzan holds, the 4day opening will be in the $45M range. The box office bomb of the year thread loses its chosen son. Busty was right a couple of days ago.

All hail Gods of Egypt. Long may it reign in box office disgrace.

WE STILL GOT 2 MORE DAYS...FUCK! THAT WAS PERFECT BOMBA MATERIAL

THE POWER OF ABS

I think we also disregarded the old fart money. My approaching 60 year old parents are going to see Tarzan this weekend. Apparently my dad loves Tarzan.

Women.

Gay men.

Old white dudes.

They really should have put Margot Robbie in skimpier clothing, then they could have snagged the creeper demo as well. Could have been a true four-quadrant movie. Might have pushed it to $50 million this weekend.

kswiston

I guess we shouldn't have doubted the superstar talent of director David Yates; A man who entered Tarzan as one of only 3 live action directors with a lifetime theatrical average of over $300M per movie domestic, along with such luminaries as J.J. Abrams and Colin Trevorrow.

I guess we shouldn't have doubted the superstar talent of director David Yates; A man who entered Tarzan as one of only 3 live action directors with a lifetime theatrical average of over $300M per movie domestic, along with such luminaries as J.J. Abrams and Colin Trevorrow.

Wow. What a stacked card of talent right here.

Purge Anarchy was aiight Bronson. But first was terrible. I'll check out the third on Netflix fo sho

DeathyBoy

Banned
Women.

Gay men.

Old white dudes.

They really should have put Margot Robbie in skimpier clothing, then they could have snagged the creeper demo as well. Could have been a true four-quadrant movie. Might have pushed it to $50 million this weekend.

One of the main bits of promotion is that "story" about Margot hurting Alex in a sex scene. Worst year ever for marketing

Lol Tarzan opening decently wasn't that big of a suprise to me. For a awhile now i've seen lots of interest in it, particularly in my demo, 20-somethings, who have LOTS of nostalgia for the Disney movie. That movie is very fondly remembered. I don't think anyone realizes this one is NOT a Disney remake but still, seemed to worked

Slayven

I loved Civil War, but this summer seems like the year of MEH. Seems like back in the day they had something worth seeing drop almost every week.

Only thing left is Ghostbusters and Suicide Squad

kswiston

Wow. What a stacked card of talent right here.

Yep. And that's on top of a cast featuring two-time Academy Award winner Christoph Waltz, two-time Academy Award nominee (and GIF favourite) Djimon Hounsou, Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson, three-time Scream Awards winner Alexander Skarsgård, and Golden Schmoes Awards breakthrough performance AND Best T&A of the Year award winner Margot Robbie.

There's a reason he got the movie made when Guillermo Del Toro couldn't.

There's a reason he got the movie made when Guillermo Del Toro couldn't.

You know what the difference is between Del Toro and Yates

Yates makes money
and his movies come out on time

RE: Margot, WB's kinda had her pegged as their star for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if Suicide Squad blew up her name

kswiston

Margot Robbie feels like one of those actors that will be everywhere for 2 years, then poof gone

Denise Richards syndrome?

Robbie is a decent enough actress, so she'll probably continue to get roles until she hits her mid 30s or so when Hollywood finds a new crop of 20 something blondes to pair with their 40 something lead men.

Slayven

Suicide Squad will save her. Jai Courtney as well...maybe.
Jai Courtney always make me think of Micheal Jai White. THose Divergent films are done aren't they

Denise Richards syndrome?

Robbie is a decent enough actress so she'll probably continue to get roles until she hits her mid 30s or so when Hollywood finds a new crop of 20 something blondes to pair with their 40 something lead men.

Hey Micheal Douglass got to have a love interest, who do you expect Mimi Rogers? I had a huge crush on Mimi Rogers after her playboy spread

she 26 now, so that gives her like a full decade to get money off her sex appeal before they have to recast for the younger, sexier model to star alongside Tom Cruise and Will Smith...or whoever the equivalent is in 10 years

We probably wont have an equivalent in 10 years smh

she 26 now, so that gives her like a full decade to get money off her sex appeal before they have to recast for the younger, sexier model to star alongside Tom Cruise and Will Smith...or whoever the equivalent is in 10 years

Kit Harrington i tell you what. That guy is going places. Huge starring role in game of thrones and Pompeii. He will be the next mel gibson/Tom Cruise

Lol

3N16MA

Banned
My #SupportTarzanFilms campaign worked!

It has been saved from being the box office bomb of 2016.

Dory surpassed Zootopia's domestic run on Friday. With a 57M 4 day weekend it will surpass the entire domestic run of Nemo.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) The Purge: Election Year - $14.5M
2) The Legend of Tarzan - $14.0M
3) Finding Dory - $13.4M (-42%) - $343M total
4) The BFG - $7.0M
5) Indepedence Day Resurgence - $4.7M (-72%) - $61M total
6) Central Intelligence - $3.7M (-35%) - $83M total
7) The Shallows - $3.0M (-57%) - $29M total
8) The Conjuring 2 - $1.2M (-53%) - $92M total

xx) Warcraft - $138k (-78%) - $45M total

kswiston

Purge 4 already in the works. Keep that budget at 10M and you can make them forever.

Looking at recent horror franchises in the past, it looks like people start of get sick of a concept after 3-4 entries, and producers give up on the series a couple entries past that.

Horror films are so cheap to make that franchises are pretty disposable.

EDIT: I updated my Friday estimate post above with percentage drops. Shocking news, ID4R won't have legs! Also, Warcraft is losing audience faster than a F2P MMO.

3N16MA

Banned
Looking at recent horror franchises in the past, it looks like people start of get sick of a concept after 3-4 entries, and producers give up on the series a couple entries past that.

Horror films are so cheap to make that franchises are pretty disposable.

Purge: Leap Year
Purge: New Year
Purge: Chinese New Year
Purge: Year One
Purge: Year of the Purge

GhaleonEB

Yeah, ID:R had those legs telegraphed, but boy that's still one hell of a drop. Tight clustering in the top 3, but Dory will still take the weekend thanks to Saturday. Tarzan is in the interesting situation of both doing better than expected, and not good enough given the budget. But there's probably a small sigh of relief over at WB.

kswiston

Purge: Leap Year
Purge: New Year
Purge: Chinese New Year
Purge: Year One
Purge: Year of the Purge

Needs more Purge in tha Hood, and Purge in Space.

Surprise, surprise, expanding to Swiss Army Man to over 630 venues shows that general audiences are not interested. $800 PTA yesterday, and probably under $3k for the weekend.

Yeah, ID:R had those legs telegraphed, but boy that's still one hell of a drop. Tight clustering in the top 3, but Dory will still take the weekend thanks to Saturday. Tarzan is in the interesting situation of both doing better than expected, and not good enough given the budget. But there's probably a small sigh of relief over at WB.

Tarzan and The Purge had their Fridays inflated by Thursday previews. Dory was still ahead by a couple million on Friday proper.

Magwik

Banned

In 10 years we will have Tom Cruise doing Liam Neeson movies and it will be GLORIOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom