• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.
BFG was weird. Story was silly/dark and BFG did look creepy/couldn't understand him a few times, but Christ on sale Spielberg gave it way more than it deserved

kswiston

BFG was weird. Story was silly/dark and BFG did look creepy/couldn't understand him a few times, but Christ on sale Spielberg gave it way more than it deserved

I wonder if the film will have better than average legs. Looking at Speilbergs filmography, A.I. was his only legless film.

Busty

Banned
I have a feeling that the ladies are going to turn out for the promise of rock hard abs and Tarzan is going to hit (or get close to) $40m this (4 day) weekend.

I wonder if the film will have better than average legs. Looking at Speilbergs filmography, A.I. was his only legless film.

I could see it. It's not a massive crowd pleaser like Dory but it's got quite a bit of charm.

Also how the fuck did Spielberg and Rylance do Bridge of Spies and this in such a short timeframe

3N16MA

Banned
Both TS3 and IO had competition from a successful Illumination film a few weeks after their release. Dory pretty much sits in the same spot as Pets will debut next week.

I'm going to say Dory surpasses TS3 legs at this point as I don't see how it misses 500M. It would have to gross less than 100M after Pets is released for that to happen.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Poster for Mel Gibson's next directorial film

hacksaw-ridge-poster.jpg

Can't fucking wait. Been waiting for another one of his films since the underappreciated Apocalypto. He may be cray at times, but the guy has an undeniable talent in his directorial efforts.

Does anybody have such a varied resume as a director as him? Seems he's done almost everything.

Also I'll never forgive Rylance for stealing an Oscar from Rocky Balboa so fuck em

wachie

Can't fucking wait. Been waiting for another one of his films since the underappreciated Apocalypto. He may be cray at times, but the guy has an undeniable talent in his directorial efforts.
You're a good man in books, vinny

berzeli

Banned

Best part of that poster is that it doesn't mention the fuckwad by name.

Ridley327

Pretty gutsy to allude to just Mel on the poster, especially with the kind of cast he got for it.

I won't begrudge people for not wanting to see it because of him, but it is nice to see Mel back on the scene.

Is it possible for Mel Gibson to redeem himself in this day and age? He has a long history of saying horrific shit and being a drunken asshole and being unrepentant about it.

Abounder

Banned
Is it possible for Mel Gibson to redeem himself in this day and age? He has a long history of saying horrific shit and being a drunken asshole and being unrepentant about it.

I suppose that depends on whether or not Trump becomes president. Mel was also a punchline at the Academy Awards but at least he was invited to speak

That seems to be Spielberg's thing. Release 2-3 films in quick succession and then take a few years off from directing.

Recent interviews have painted Spielberg as someone not taking any breaks any time soon. IN fact, he didnt like how long a break it was for him between Kingdom of the Crstyal Skull and Tintin/War Horse. He's well into pre-production of Ready Player One, and he recently announced a new film in the works starring Mark Rylance(he REALLY loves this guy) called "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara", which is also his third collorbation with the great Tony Kushner(Munich, Lincoln).

Thats where I'm at, too. Despicable human but undeniably skilled craftsman of cinema. Just put him in a "Do not interview this man for any reason" box with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski.

I'm sad BFG isn't doing well. It seems like family movies can only succeed now if they're animated or are Disney animation-to-live-action remakes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Recent interviews have painted Spielberg as someone not taking any breaks any time soon. IN fact, he didnt like how long a break it was for him between Kingdom of the Crstyal Skull and Tintin/War Horse. He's well into pre-production of Ready Player One, and he recently announced a new film in the works starring Mark Rylance(he REALLY loves this guy) called "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara", which is also his third collorbation with the great Tony Kushner(Munich, Lincoln).
Plus the already dated Indy 5 in summer 2019. Assuming nothing gets sidelined for one for another, he's definitely keeping busy. Now if only more of these films seemed worthy of his time... (excepting the Kushner one of course).

Thats where I'm at, too. Despicable human but undeniably skilled craftsman of cinema. Just put him in a "Do not interview this man for any reason" box with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski.
Gun to my head, I might go as far as to say he's the least personally problematic of the three...

BFG was fucking weird, but in a good way. Couldn't understand the giants most of the time, but the technology and tracking shots used were amazing.

It also has the most absurd, gloriously stupid far joke I've ever seen, so cheers to that. Hope it does well.

Current tracking for Secret Life of Pets has it vying for a $80+ million opening. That along with BFG would certainly be consistent with the feast-or-famine theme of 2016.

Looking ahead, per Deadline: Secret Life of Pets is tracking for $80 million or more next weekend; Star Trek Beyond is currently only looking at $48-60 million, though there's room for that to increase in the next few weeks.

Given Into Darkness' reception and the so-so marketing so far, I'd be surprised if Beyond didn't become another underperforming sequel in a year that's full of them.
I'm curious to see what the tracking will be for Jason Bourne. Ultimatum is one of these really well-beloved action films of the last decade, and given how well The Martian did, I could see people really come out to see Damon return to the franchise.

kswiston

Deadline's early Friday numbers are $12M for the Purge, $8.5M for Tarzan, and $8M for BFG.

BFG will at least avoid that sub $20M 4day gross if that holds.

Dory will win the weekend by a large margin.

Yeah it looks like he cast Rylance in BFG based off Bridge of Spies

Spielberg has wanted to work with Mark Rylance for a very long time. He offered him a part in Empire of the Sun back in 1987 and he turned it down. He then offered him an bigger role, and he turned that down, too.

So like 30 years later he FINALLY got his hands on 'em, and now they're like BFF. I think he's in Ready Player One as well? At this rate its safe to assume he'll be in Indiana Jones 5.

to say he's the least personally problematic of the three...

Well we're working on a scale with legit child molesters here, so not exactly storied company either way.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Deadline's early Friday numbers are $12M for the Purge, $8.5M for Tarzan, and $8M for BFG.

BFG will at least avoid that sub $20M 4day gross if that holds.

Dory will win the weekend by a large margin.

Early Deadline numbers
camby.png

My man Frank Grillo is coming for the belt!

kswiston

Rth has some very early Friday numbers as well

Finding Dory and The Purge 3 both in the $14-16M range

Tarzan in the $11.5-$13.5M range

BFG in the $7.5-9.5M range

Given that it is not even 9pm on the East Coast, all of those are subject to change. However, all of the openers are exceeding or coming in on the high side of tracking if numbers hold.

kswiston

Boxoffice.com updated their long range forecast list.

Nothing all that notable besides the fact that they dropped Ghostbusters down to $53M OW / $142M Total

vinnygambini

Tarzan doing better than I anticipated.

My thread must of delivered on the excitement

http://deadline.com/2016/07/weekend...year-the-bfg-the-legend-of-tarzan-1201782189/
We have a similar situation this year with another Pixar film, Finding Dory, taking the top spot with an estimated four-day of $57.9M and three-day of $47.2M –the best third weekend for an animated film—flying above two, very expensive antiquated properties, Warner Bros./Village Roadshow’s CGI-infused, live action adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ early 20th century lit series Tarzan of the Apes and Disney/Walden Media’s Steven Spielberg adaptation of Roald Dahl’s The BFG.

While we saw The Purge: Election Year beating both earlier today, The Legend of Tarzan is stronger than we thought tonight with a $13.2M Friday and four-day of $42.6M. But still that’s not enough stateside to swing the $180M production into the black. Contributing to Tarzan’s improved ticket sales is the A- CinemaScore it received from moviegoers, a relief to its 33% Rotten Tomatoes score among critics.

In third, there’s Uni/Blumhouse/Platinum Dunes’ The Purge: Election Year –the youngest of all the wide entry July 4th brands, and the one that will clear breakeven the fastest with an estimated four-day of $37.2M off a $10M production cost. P&A for Purge: Election Year was largely relegated to digital with a low TV ad spend per iSpot TV of $12.3M. Purge: Election Year earned the best CinemaScore in the series, a B+, which is like having an A when you’re a horror film.

Election Year is pegging ahead of The BFG which, though also embraced by audiences tonight with an A- CinemaScore, is bound to arrive outside of its $30M forecast with a Friday-Monday take of $24.75M. Out of this weekend’s major studio titles, critics like BFG the most with a 72% fresh Rotten Tomatoes score.

$47.2M would give Dory the 5th largest third weekend of all time, and, even with Pets on the horizon, put it squarely on track for a $500+M domestic finish.

GhaleonEB

FTF

Finding Dory with IO legs here on out - 547M
Finding Dory with TS3 legs here on out - 530M
Finding Dory with Shrek2 legs here on out - 520M
Finding Dory with DM2 legs here on out - 480M
Finding Dory with Shrek3 legs here on out - 460M
Finding Dory with Minions legs here on out - 460M
Finding Dory with MU legs here on out - 450M

Congratulations to Pixar for the top movie of the year.

Rogue One will give Dory a run for its money.

Dory is really sucking a lot of the oxygen from the...water? Room? Whatever. It's doing a lot more business than expected and I think BFG is the immediate casualty.

They spent $180m on Tarzan? Seriously?!

BFG was never destined for a great run at the box office, but yeah, Dory is doing it no favors.

vinnygambini

Tarzan at $40M+ for 4-day weekend.

SAY WHAT!

YESSSSS RISSSSEEEEE

Edit: BFG is a flop, who'd have thought. Shit looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom