• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•25-27•14 - Lucy in the sky with superpowers, Dwayne kicks rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If GOTG opens at $80 million domestically, is my prediction of over $500 million worldwide solid? I thought it would settle between $500-600 million. Let's see how it does. Over $400 million is a success, but anything above half a billion is a massive success as far as I see it.

Let's hope it settles between $500-600 million, because someone is going to lose their Samsung.

I would think 80 mill opening with good word of mouth would put it in the 200 mill domestic range. Since Avengers Marvel movies have done much bigger numbers internationally than before it and non star trek/wars SciFi also does better internationally

I think if word of mouth holds up it will blow past 600 mill

Neoxon

Everyone's saying $90-$100 million for Guardians, now.
tumblr_n9nelbG6IG1qzniqdo1_r1_400.gif

kswiston

Including, or separate from, the 11 (almost 12) from Thursdays?

Included as always. Thursday previews were 11.2M though. Not almost 12.

Minus previews, Guardians was less than $200k behind Cap 2's Friday (minus previews).

$90M seems like a sure bet unless it collapses today.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm sure Marvel are tracking the success of Lucy in perspective of a Black Widow solo film but I feel she was already a second main character in the Captain America TWS - I really can't see them making one but would not be surprised if they did.

I've been wanting a solo Black Widow movie since that scene where she throws people with her legs in Ironman 2.

Marvel could make two hours of her choke-holding people with her thighs as a movie, and I'd probably go watch it. More female kick-ass protagonists in movies, plz.

what's your reasoning behind that?

Well, for one: Do you hear people talking about it or the character in general? I can understand his reasoning, but if Guardians of the Galaxy is an indication, you can get "unknown" characters, put them in a strong movie and probably bank.

Deadline now saying Saturday is down only 15% and not their initial 20% drop for GotG. They are predicting $95-96m for the weekend. Crazy.

jett

D-Member
Unless the turtles explode(nope), this is officially the first summer without a movie that opens to 100M in 10 years.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Weekend Estimate for Guardians of the Galaxy is $94M
Almost $100M for a movie based on an unknown property with no bankable stars. Wow Marvel has to be through the roof about this.

Unless the turtles explode(nope), this is officially the first summer without a movie that opens to 100M in 10 years.
But to be realistic how many summers had this many $90M+ openings?

jett

D-Member
Almost $100M for a movie based on an unknown property with no bankable stars. Wow Marvel has to be through the roof about this.

But to be realistic how many summers had this many $90M+ openings?

Well I wouldn't know, but I think in terms of total money grossed this year is trailing the previous one. Also not a single 300 million grosser either, since I don't know when.

Well, according to the papers, Transformers opened to $100m. But we know they fudged the numbers to say that.

Yeah.

Deadline:
1). Guardians of the Galaxy (DIS), 4,080 theaters / $37.8M Friday (includes $11.2M late nights) / $31M Sat (-18%) / $24.8M Sun. (-20%) / 3-day est. cume: $94M+
2). Lucy (UNI), 3,202 theaters (+29) / $5.4M Fri. / $7.29M Sat. (+33%) / $5.49M Sun. (-25%) / 3-day cume: $18.2M (-58%) / Total cume: $79.5M / Wk 2
3). Get On Up (UNI), 2,468 theaters / $4.9M Fri. (includes $371K late nights) / $5.16M Sat. (+5%) / $3.8M Sun. (-25%) / 3-day cume: $14M / Wk 1
4). Hercules (MGM/PAR), 3,595 theaters (0) / $3.18M Fri. / $4.39M Sat. (+5%) / $3.2M Sun. (-25%) / 3-day cume: $10.8M to $11M (-64%) / Total est. cume: $52.6M / Wk 2
5). Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (FOX), 3,283 theaters (-385) / $2.4M Fri. / $3.49M Sat. (+45%) / $2.7M Sun. (-23%) / 3-day cume: $8.7M / Total cume: $189.3M / Wk 4
6). Planes: Fire & Rescue (DIS), 3,241 theaters (-598) / $1.79M Fri. / $2.5M Sat. (+45%) / $2M Sun. (-20%) / 3-day cume: $6.4M / Total cume: $47.5M / Wk 3
7). The Purge: Anarchy (UNI), 2,656 theaters (-200) / $1.8M Fri. / $2.25M Sat. (+25%) / $1.57M Sun. (-30%) / 3-day cume: $5.56M / Total cume: $62.9 M / Wk 3
8). Sex Tape (SONY), 2,500 theaters (-562) / $1M Fri. / $1.4M Sat. (+32%) / $987K Sun. (-30%) / 3-day cume: $3.46M / Total cume: $33.87M / Wk 3

So happy Apes is gonna catch $200m.

3N16MA

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy opens with as much as Cap and 10M more than Thor: The Dark World.

No one could have predicted that.

$160.4M global total.

LycanXIII

“The Guardians of the Galaxy” touched down with a dazzling $94 million this weekend, proving that Marvel is the new gold standard for movie brands.

That set a new record for an August domestic debut, easily trumping the $69.3 million bow of 2007’s “The Bourne Ultimatum,” and scoring the third biggest stateside opening of the year. Overseas, the film netted an impressive $66.4 million in 42 territories, including Russia, Brazil, Mexico and the United Kingdom. It has brought in $160.4 million worldwide and still has many major markets left to open such as China, Australia, France and Spain.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/b...ounds-with-160-4-mil-global-debut-1201274534/

Prompto

Banned
Didn't Sunday just start?
Studio box office estimates come out early Sunday and they usually are never far off from the actuals. Crazy that Apes and now Guardians of the Galaxy have a chance at beating Amazing Spider-Man 2 domestically.

FoneBone

Well I wouldn't know, but I think in terms of total money grossed this year is trailing the previous one. Also not a single 300 million grosser either, since I don't know when.
First summer without any $300 million+ films since 2001. GotG can't lift the slump on its own, either.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
First summer without any $300 million+ films since 2001. GotG can't lift the slump on its own, either.
Ok didn't think it was that rough. Yeah the breakout hits this summer were generally new or young properties and the standards that previously did $300M+ all slunk. Profit-wise there's probably quite a bit of celebrating but revenue-wise yeah I think it's off like 20%. All of the success came from cheap(er) pics doing bigger than expected biz.

I was doing some boxofficemojo surfing and had no idea Beverly Hills Cop was such a phenomenal hit for it's time. It made $230 million in 1984 money on a $16 million opening weekend. And that was for an R rated comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom