• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•25-27•14 - Lucy in the sky with superpowers, Dwayne kicks rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

Next week's thread will be glorious. Thread title tagline should just be "I am Groot" since then the title could mean anything the reader perceives it to be.

Next weekend should be interesting. Guardians is getting very good reviews, but I still have a hard time seeing it doing well mainstream.

I hope I am wrong, and I will try to go watch it.

anaron

Next weekend should be interesting. Guardians is getting very good reviews, but I still have a hard time seeing it doing well mainstream.

It's tracking huge+ rave reviews and likely an A cinemascore

It's gonna do well

I have no idea how big culturally this is in the States, I mean The Hunger Games grossed $400million domestically but little was known about the series in the UK but it exploded after the first movie came out with the books in stores everywhere - but I presume the series was huge before the film was released in the U.S.

The YA market is difficult to measure as recent franchise starters have either flopped or been unsuccessful - The Host, The Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures - Divergent underperformed?

The Hunger Games novels are good, and were pretty big, or at least were in my school. In comparison, Divergent is utter trash--it's a poorly written romance masked with barely thought out sci-fi. I don't think I saw anybody reading it, let alone enjoying it and recommending it to other people. I got bored this summer and read the book in about two days when I've read longer books in less than a day. It's something that you regularly sit back and wonder if it's worth getting through or just looking up on Wikipedia to find out how the story ends.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";122893564]And Edge of Tomorrow bombed ;_;[/QUOTE]

Dude, it totally didn't bomb.

noquarter

Anedotal: I have had quite a few of my friends asking me about Gaurdians of the Galaxy, simply because I read comics. Don't know shit about them, but they all seem really interested in the movie. They also have never asked.

I think the mystery, along with the trailer showing a Racoon with a jetpack and a talking tree is really getting interest from people. They don't know anything about them, but it is Marvel and is different. If the movie is as good as the reviews have been, I could see this one doing really well.

I'll return to lurking in this thread

The bad news is that we likely won't get a Black Widow movie regardless.

The good news is that we may get a Captain Marvel movie now because of this.

Cap Marvel ... starring Scarjo ;]
(GoTG stinger shows BW cleaning up some Shield shits and gets exposed to a massive amount of Kree shits. Discovers her powers in AoU! Believe in the Black Marvel!)

But yeah, Marvel can suck the hairiest part of my ass if they can't work up the nerve to do a female lead movie anytime soon ...

Neoxon

Cap Marvel ... starring Scarjo ;]
(GoTG stinger shows BW cleaning up some Shield shits and gets exposed to a massive amount of Kree shits. Discovers her powers in AoU! Believe in the Black Marvel!)

But yeah, Marvel can suck the hairiest part of my ass if they can't work up the nerve to do a female lead movie anytime soon ...
Hey, at least it was Guardians that filled the void that would have been a Phase 2 Black Widow movie.

Monocle

So, yeah, Maleficent has passed CA2 and ASM2 worldwide...

1 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $966.4
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $737.4
3 Maleficent BV $715.0
4 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $713.0
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $706.3

How many Hercules movies can you release in one year?

The Legend of Hercules LG/S $61.3
Hercules (2014) Par. $57.7

The Rock is $4 million away from beating the other one.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm
Good, I liked Maleficent more than ASM2. Not more than Winter Soldier though.

Road

Box Office Late Nights: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Highest Of 2014 With $11.2M; ‘Get On Up’$371K

The Star Lord has arrived — I’m speaking not of the industry’s new superstar Chris Pratt, but of writer/director James Gunn as Guardians of the Galaxy has rocketed in late nights soaring to $11.2M which is north of Captain America: The Winter Soldier‘s Thursday’s for Disney/Marvel — and for the rest of the industry which is laying hopes that the summer offering will boost box office out of its slump. It started its late nights at 7 p.m.

At 7 pm, though, I think is earlier (aka highest amount of showings) than the others.

Anyway, amazing numbers. I'm afraid it's going to be very frontloaded, unless word of mouth spreads.

Edit: Derp, just noticed there's an image on the article:

thursday-night-fightspkuyr.png

Get On Up had more showings than GOTG at the theater I went at. It also has double the normal showings this weekend and beyond.

Fix your shit, Pearl!

Hamlet

Really impressive numbers for GOTG, should be interesting if they can get over $90 million this weekend
Can't wait to go see it tomorrow

FoneBone

Highest-ever August opening is pretty much a lock now - previous record was The Bourne Ultimatum, which opened to just under $70 million in 2007.

Verendus

Banned
If GOTG opens at $80 million domestically, is my prediction of over $500 million worldwide solid? I thought it would settle between $500-600 million. Let's see how it does. Over $400 million is a success, but anything above half a billion is a massive success as far as I see it.

Let's hope it settles between $500-600 million, because someone is going to lose their Samsung.

Neoxon

Let me put a reference point for you, GotG made more last night than Winter Soldier did its Thursday night. The latter did $90+ million opening weekend.

Yeah, GotG is gonna be a hit.

kswiston

Forget about the August record. That is for sure gone. Guardians has a shot at $100M if business holds up today.

It would be hilarious if GotG outgrosses Amazing Spider-Man 2 domestically, making it the lowest grossing major superhero film of the year.

Forget about the August record. That is for sure gone. Guardians has a shot at $100M if business holds up today.

It would be hilarious if GotG outgrosses Amazing Spider-Man 2 domestically, making it the lowest grossing major superhero film of the year.

Holy crap, really? If they hit 100 mil this shit goes supernova.

And if it outgrosses ASM2...Sony just cough up the rights already

Neoxon

The power of the MCU.....& the GotG hype train that paid off big-time.

Well, here's an interesting question then...

...it's based on a comic book, but is Guardians of the Galaxy a superhero movie? Or is it just a sci-fi film?

Prompto

Banned
The power of the MCU.....& the GotG hype train that paid off big-time.
I don't think it's only that. Winter Soldier, X-Men, and especially Guardians of the Galaxy all shook up the formula and all felt original. Amazing Spider-Man 2 pretty much just looked like more of the same.

Yeah, it looks like we're going to slot Guardians as a "superhero" film solely because Marvel's producing it, even though it's basically a straight up sci-fi film sans any of the trappings of a superhero film, or really, any superheroes.

The power of branding :)

FoneBone

I think it's a lock. GotG will hold much better, even if it has a smaller opening weekend.

Phenomenally. Sequel is en route.

$300 million international gross is good, but "phenomenally" is pushing it. It had very lousy legs in the US and overseas.

kswiston

Yeah, it looks like we're going to slot Guardians as a "superhero" film solely because Marvel's producing it, even though it's basically a straight up sci-fi film sans any of the trappings of a superhero film, or really, any superheroes.

The power of branding :)

Do superheroes stop being superheroes when they are in space? Because Iron Man is just a guy in a high tech suit. I haven't seen GOTG yet, but assuming that the movie is similar, how is that different from the Nova Corps or Star Lord's gear? Was the first Thor a fantasy movie because it starred Norse Gods?

To me, if it's in the shared MCU, it's a superhero film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom