• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•25-27•14 - Lucy in the sky with superpowers, Dwayne kicks rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

starmud

great for lucy, meh for hercules. maleficent has had great legs.

lucy deserves the opening, it was entertaining. i did go with a friend who went in complaining about the 10% bit and logistics of the theme, we discussed to take it as a fantasy movie. it had some scenes that were shot with no thought, yet we both came out feeling it was a ride well worth taking. will pick up the DVD.

Cyan

Banned
I have no idea how big culturally this is in the States, I mean The Hunger Games grossed $400million domestically but little was known about the series in the UK but it exploded after the first movie came out with the books in stores everywhere - but I presume the series was huge before the film was released in the U.S.

Hunger Games was big in the US prior to the movies. Maze Runner not so much. Part of the problem I think is that it doesn't really have a proper love triangle or really much romance at all, which limits you in dystopian YA. :p

Also the story makes no fucking sense.

The YA market is difficult to measure as recent franchise starters have either flopped or been unsuccessful - The Host, The Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures - Divergent underperformed?

Very true. Though I think overall Divergent exceeded expectations. It only underperformed when you look at the big opening weekend, which overperformed.

I do think that The Maze Runner has a better shot at success than some of those other films you listed due to Dylan O'Brien already having a large fanbase on his own. Though I am not making any predictions till a few reviews hit.

Also the story makes no fucking sense.

I am kind of hoping that the director takes some liberties with the story (especially in the 2nd and 3rd books) to streamline the plot.

Spinluck

So, yeah, Maleficent has passed CA2 and ASM2 worldwide...

1 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $966.4
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $737.4
3 Maleficent BV $715.0
4 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $713.0
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $706.3

How many Hercules movies can you release in one year?

The Legend of Hercules LG/S $61.3
Hercules (2014) Par. $57.7

The Rock is $4 million away from beating the other one.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm

Holy hell. When did the Transformers BO gross hit that figure?

Maleficent was poop tier btw, but I didn't expect this. I did not think it would bomb either.

Son Of D

Holy hell. When did the Transformers BO gross hit that figure?

Maleficent was poop tier btw, but I didn't expect this. I did not think it would bomb either.

I believe $300m of the Transformers gross came from China. Then add the $236m from the domestic gross and you have approximately $536m already. An extra $400m from the rest of the world is easy enough.

Ceebs

The YA market is difficult to measure as recent franchise starters have either flopped or been unsuccessful - The Host, The Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures - Divergent underperformed?

Out of those, Divergent did very well. Not Hunger Games well, but good enough to be the start of a franchise.

mreddie

So does Lucy reinforce the "More action movies with female leads" because that's awesome if Marvel suddenly announces a Black Widow movie...but Captain Marvel first please.

Also, is Hercules a bomba or no?

How to Train Your Dragon vs. How To Train Your Dragon 2:

HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 1): $86,033,129
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 2): $192,220,061
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 3): $283,704,438
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 4): $335,251,066
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 5): $367,117,832
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 6): $396,573,750
HTTYD WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 7): $413,683,014
($494,878,759 LIFETIME WORLDWIDE GROSS)

HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 1): $75,133,535
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 2): $170,513,492
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 3): $229,321,331
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 4): $288,391,659
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 5): $349,940,752
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 6): $385,543,270
HTTYD 2 WORLDWIDE GROSS-TO-DATE (WEEK 7): $424,129,000 (ESTIMATE)

CURRENT PERFORMANCE: AHEAD $10,445,986 (ESTIMATE) COMPARED TO PREDECESSOR

Worldwide Grosses for Animated Dreamworks Movies:

1) Shrek 2 (2004, $150 million budget): $919,838,758
2) Shrek 3 (2007, $160 million budget): $798,958,162
3) Shrek 4 (2010, $165 million budget): $752,600,867
4) Madagascar 3 (2012, $145 million budget): $746,921,274
5) Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011, $150 million budget): $665,692,281
6) Kung Fu Panda (2008, $130 million budget): $631,744,560
7) Madagascar 2 (2008, $150 million budget): $603,900,354
8) The Croods (2013, $135 million budget): $587,204,668
9) Puss in Boots (2011, $130 million budget): $554,987,477
10) Madagascar (2005, $75 million budget): $532,680,671
11) HTTYD 1 (2010, $165 million budget): $494,878,759
12) Shrek (2001, $60 million budget): $484,409,218
13) HTTYD 2 (2014, $145 million budget): $424,129,000 (estimated)
14) Monsters Vs. Aliens (2009, $175 million budget): $381,509,870
15) Shark Tale (2004, $75 million budget): $367,275,019
16) Over the Hedge (2006, $80 million budget): $336,002,996
17) Megamind (2010, $130 million budget): $321,885,765
18) Rise of the Guardians (2012, $145 million budget): $306,941,670
19) Bee Movie (2007, $150 million budget): $287,594,577
20) Turbo (2013, $127 million budget): $282,570,682
21) Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014, $145 million budget): $268,604,423
22) Chicken Run (2000, $45 million budget): $224,834,564
23) The Prince of Egypt (1998, $70 million budget): $218,613,188
24) Wallace & Gromit (2005, $30 million budget): $192,610,372
25) Flushed Away (2006, $149 million budget): $178,120,010
26) Antz (1998, $105 million budget): $171,757,863
27) Spirit (2002, $80 million budget): $122,563,539
28) Sinbad (2003, $60 million budget): $80,767,884
29) The Road to El Dorado (2000, $95 million budget): $76,432,727

I hope so too
As it is, it's probably the biggest disappointment of the summer gross wise.
Maleficent being so strong probably didn't help, maybe they should have moved it back a week

Well, at least HTTYD 2 is FINALLY tracking above its predecessor worldwide.This is the very first week where HTTYD 2 is starting to pull ahead.

This gives me hope that HTTYD 2 will have sufficient International legs to pull the film above $500 million worldwide.

And yeah, HTTYD 2 is a big disappointment in that it didn't see significant box office franchise growth like Madagascar and Shrek, but hey, at least it's not Mr. Peabody & Sherman. There is still room for growth in the box office if DWA plays their cards right with HTTYD 3 / a possible HTTYD 4. I'm hoping Katzenberg recognises this and plans the future of the franchise carefully

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yeah, I think they may take a more comedic direction with the new one as opposed to the more serious tone this movie took. Either that or let the creators do what they want but with a smaller budget. They should get quite a lot back with merchandising anyway, cos who wouldn't want a stuffed toothless?

The true travesty of that list though is the fact Eldarado only grossed $76M

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah, I think they may take a more comedic direction with the new one as opposed to the more serious tone this movie took. Either that or let the creators do what they want but with a smaller budget. They should get quite a lot back with merchandising anyway, cos who wouldn't want a stuffed toothless?

I think the travesty is that the highest hand drawn film is only 23.

Tucah

you speak so well
I didn't see it but it's nice to see a female led action flick do well. I did see Boyhood this weekend though, absolutely phenomenal film.

I don't agree. Maybe they could make more money (no guarantee), but it isn't worth it imo. Both 1 and 2 were great... and I am content with that.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't agree. Maybe they could make more money (no guarantee), but it isn't worth it imo. Both 1 and 2 were great... and I am content with that.

Oh I hope they don't but it depends how money hungry the execs are I guess
BOM thinks that this film may even have another $150M to go from it's foreign gross so it might be able to beat out the Croods

Well I mean, Dean DeBlois is coming back to direct HTTYD 3. The HTTYD franchise really seems to be a passion project for the studio more than just a moneymaker.

I think HTTYD 2 has done well enough that Katzenburg would rather let DeBlois handle the franchise how he wishes instead of focus grouping it to death. Within reason, of course.

Interviews with DeBlois do seem to indicate that future HTTYD sequels will be...less dark. We'll see.

lmpaler

I saw both in the same day and I found Hercules to be the more enjoyable movie. I expected a fun summer movie and I felt Hercules delivered that more. Lucy started off great and the tone was set and had me intrigued and then it just became rather dull and the ending...sigh. It needed an extra 30-45 minutes in my opinion

kswiston

Maze Runner is not hitting $300M domestic.

The fact that it is a September release should tell you as much. Hotel Transylvania is the highest grossing September flick since the 80s and that didn't even break $150M.

I believe $300m of the Transformers gross came from China. Then add the $236m from the domestic gross and you have approximately $536m already. An extra $400m from the rest of the world is easy enough.
Is it true that China takes ~75% of box office proceeds? So that $300m is more like 75 mil

Oh I hope they don't but it depends how money hungry the execs are I guess
BOM thinks that this film may even have another $150M to go from it's foreign gross so it might be able to beat out the Croods

Link? I am curious as to where they thing the $$$ will come from.

The only major regions that it hasn't been released in as far as I know are Japan an China, where the original did very poorly.

Maze Runner is not hitting $300M domestic.

The fact that it is a September release should tell you as much. Hotel Transylvania is the highest grossing September flick since the 80s and that didn't even break $150M.

Of course not. However, its budget is reasonable (70m I think) and it will get greenlit for sequel if it even hits 150m domestically I bet.

um, the guy was right? It didn't bomb. Sure, it might not have set the world on fire but WW the film turned a profit.

An extremely slim one if any. Generally you don't make a profit until you double your budget due to taxes, advertising, theater cuts, etc. You need more if the film does poor domestically because the taxes are higher internationally.

That would put the profit margin at this point at only 3 Million.

If you then take into account general studio costs such as distribution, general salaries, shareholders, executives, etc it is very doubtful that the film has made any money yet for the studio. Though it is close enough that the DVD release may push them into the black.

kswiston

um, the guy was right? It didn't bomb. Sure, it might not have set the world on fire but WW the film turned a profit.

Probably not a theatrical profit, but it made enough that the film will be in the black with home video returns and TV licensing.

Jacob

I have no idea how big culturally this is in the States, I mean The Hunger Games grossed $400million domestically but little was known about the series in the UK but it exploded after the first movie came out with the books in stores everywhere - but I presume the series was huge before the film was released in the U.S.

The Hunger Games was big in the US before the first film came out but I don't think it was as big as, say, Percy Jackson, which disappointed at the box office. The was a big push behind THG since Lionsgate bet the bank on it, but it want until the last few weeks/months before the film was in theaters's that it started to feel like a phenomenon to me.

kswiston

Tracking is putting Guardians of the Galaxy in a competitive spot to take the August opening record. The Bourne Ultimatum currently holds that distinction at $69.3M.

Tracking is putting Guardians of the Galaxy in a competitive spot to take the August opening record. The Bourne Ultimatum currently holds that distinction at $69.3M.

I used this gif already today but fuck it

chris-pratt-gif-16.gif

GO GOTG GO

So, yeah, Maleficent has passed CA2 and ASM2 worldwide...

1 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $966.4
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $737.4
3 Maleficent BV $715.0
4 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $713.0
5 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $706.3

How many Hercules movies can you release in one year?

The Legend of Hercules LG/S $61.3
Hercules (2014) Par. $57.7

The Rock is $4 million away from beating the other one.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm

How the hell does Transformers make that much?

Holyshit at Transformers WW numbers, Dino's sell, AOE is horrible and right up there with Transformers 2 with one of the worst movies i have seen in the last decade..

thefro

Let's be real.

The Rock is probably the only reason Herc is going to just disappoint instead of being an outright bomb.

Agreed, I don't think you can blame him for not being able to carry a mediocre movie with crappy promotion (outside of the heavy lifting The Rock is doing) to a huge box office. They'll make a bit of money on this one in the end.

slit

Let's be real.

The Rock is probably the only reason Herc is going to just disappoint instead of being an outright bomb.

Let's really be real. The Rock can't really carry a movie all by himself. He needs costars with at least some recognition for success.

Let's really be real. The Rock can't really carry a movie all by himself. He needs costars with at least some recognition for success.

The Scorpion King?

I mean Michael Clarke Duncan is in there for a minute but its totally a vehicle for The Rock's unique charisma and cartoony psyche

Kusagari

He's carried movies like Toothfairy to profitability.

But I agree that he deserves to be nowhere near as highly paid in Hollywood as he is.

black_13

Banned
Poor Rock. I like the guy but Hercules was just so generically average. It lied to the audience about the fantasy elements and on top of that had one of the simplest plots to just fill the gap between the action scenes which weren't that great to begin with. The greek mythology has just been done to death as a huge action piece. You need to do it differently to set yourself apart.

Biff

Holy shit, Transformers is about to make $1B worldwide.

I suppose Luc Besson gets a second lease on life after the atomic bomb that was Lockdown. Dude gets an eternal pass from me for making The Fifth Element, but I assumed he'd be done if Lucy tanked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom