• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 5•31-6•2•13 - Eisenberg, right ahead! of Mr & Mr Smith, Whitta am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

I think you're arguing semantics/nomenclature.

For all intents and purposes, 28 days later was regarded as a zombie film. I can better buy the argument that I Am Legend didn't have zombies only because it was shown in the film that they were smart and methodical, whereas the zombies in 28 days later were not.

Still, if the general perception of Legend was as being a "zombie film," then the comparison is still apt.

The problem is I've never heard of anyone talk about I Am Legend as a zombie film ever; while its source material had influence on what zombies became in film, the antagonists are vampiric in nature.

the chris

Good, getting tired of this nepotism.

i6epcZtV9WvQQ.gif

iF3r0s8RtQeJL.gif

ibaDy3Bwq1Ntzy.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
which was the last good M Night movie, signs? Actually I liked that one in the woods as well, but remember it all being about WHAT WILL THE TWIST BE?! because of the guys record of making twist movies. If you watched it without that expectation, it wasn't too bad.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
"Remember the Karate Kid? Man, I wish things had gone differently for that Jaden Smith kid."

Will Smith is the ultimate hover parent. Ruining his kids B.O. numbers before he even had his own career (or Will is just making sure no one can ever top him, I can't decide which one I like more).

It's gone relatively ignored, but there was a story that came out a couple weeks ago in which it was revealed that what Jaden wants for his 15th birthday is emancipation.

That's his birthday wish. To be legally separated from his parents.

J2 Cool

so many bombas

is will smith still relevant?

He might not be. What are younger audiences going to know him from? His films generally have a short shelf life. Nobody's going back to much of his filmography, even though stuff like Hitch or Men in Black was successful at one time. Comparatively, Brad Pitt's filmography resonates a lot more today with younger audiences. Fight Club is pop culture at this point, Inglorious Basterds, Seven. Pretty widely seen, talked about, revisited. Will Smith's most re-visitable material is Fresh Prince.

Will also had years between films, leaving on some weaker ones in Hancock and Seven Pounds in 08, and coming back with Men in Black 3 in 2012 (which felt dated as it released, and reflects on the star). I wonder if people are really missing him all that much. It doesn't help being that this is advertised as a father/son film, and nobody cares about the duo as a performing team.

wenis

It's gone relatively ignored, but there was a story that came out a couple weeks ago in which it was revealed that what Jaden wants for his 15th birthday is emancipation.

That could either turn out incredibly beneficial or awful for him. Time will tell I suppose. That's very sad though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Sixth Sense and Signs were good
Unbreakable was great

Could only tolerate a few minutes of the Village before I got bored and haven't bothered with anything else. Surprising to see how far he's fallen after those first few really good movies.

Slayven

He might not be. What are younger audiences going to know him from? His films generally have a short shelf life. Nobody's going back to much of his filmography, even though stuff like Hitch or Men in Black was successful at one time. Comparatively, Brad Pitt's filmography resonates a lot more today with younger audiences. Fight Club is pop culture at this point, Inglorious Basterds, Seven. Pretty widely seen, talked about, revisited. Will Smith's most re-visitable material is Fresh Prince.

Will also had years between films, leaving on some weaker ones in Hancock and Seven Pounds in 08, and coming back with Men in Black 3 in 2012 (which felt dated as it released, and reflects on the star). I wonder if people are really missing him all that much. It doesn't help being that this is advertised as a father/son film, and nobody cares about the duo as a performing team.

It will be a sad day the day he is no longer a headliner.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
World War Z will suffer from being unable or unwilling to commit to being either a disaster movie or a zombie movie. The marketing is too full of mixed messages. General zombie fans aren't going to be particularly excited about a zombie movie where you seemingly never see an individual zombie up close. It's just hordes of nondescript people climbing over each other. And if it's being sold as a disaster movie, what's the disaster? Some kind of vague infection?

The marketing isn't selling it as either one. They're failing, and perhaps the movie is as well, to deliver a hook. I think that'll be the biggest reason audiences stay away. Just a general impression of "I don't know what this is and why I should care".

kswiston

That could either turn out incredibly beneficial or awful for him. Time will tell I suppose. That's very sad though.

It would turn out awful. From his point of view, emancipation would give him the right to spend whatever money he has made from acting and singing on whatever he wants. But he's 15 years old and would therefore just be an idiot. All 15 year olds want their parents to butt out of their life, even if their parents are doing a good job. This 15 year old just happens to be rich.

EDIT: Also Will Smith was a producer on The Karate Kid, which is the only reason his kid was in the film.

Ridley327

World War Z will suffer from being unable or unwilling to commit to being either a disaster movie or a zombie movie. The marketing is too full of mixed messages. General zombie fans aren't going to be particularly excited about a zombie movie where you seemingly never see an individual zombie up close. It's just hordes of nondescript people climbing over each other. And if it's being sold as a disaster movie, what's the disaster? Some kind of vague infection?

The marketing isn't selling it as either one. They're failing, and perhaps the movie is as well, to deliver a hook. I think that'll be the biggest reason audiences stay away. Just a general impression of "I don't know what this is and why I should care".

Yep. I don't think anyone involved really knows what they can do with it at this point, besides hoping for the best. Pitt is going to think twice before trying anything like this ever again, unless they have all their ducks lined up from the word go.

wenis

It would turn out awful. From his point of view, emancipation would give him the right to spend whatever money he has made from acting and singing on whatever he wants. But he's 15 years old and would therefore just be an idiot. All 15 year olds want their parents to butt out of their life, even if their parents are doing a good job. This 15 year old just happens to be rich.

That's why I said it could go either way. We don't know what the family life really is like. Public image isn't much to go off of because it looks like Smith has his kids trained fairly well on top of stuff we know about the Church of Scientology, who knows how far down the rabbit hole Will stuck his head down there and mushed up his brain because of it.

For all we know his dad is a complete prick behind closed doors and he's trying to escape that.

or yea, rich kid with too much money and wants to blow it on pop rocks and coke. Who knows.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Signs was legit creepy in the beginning, the part where Joachim Phoenix is watching news in the tv and they show footage of the alien was great and his reaction sold it.

but then it goes to shit.

I enjoyed Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, though, those were great movies.

Signs was legit creepy in the beginning, the part where Joachim Phoenix is watching news in the tv and they show footage of the alien was great and his reaction sold it.

but then it goes to shit.

I enjoyed Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, though, those were great movies.

The Village is fine. It's directed well, the cinematography is amazing, the acting is great and the music is fantastic. And there's nothing wrong with the story. It's just the weird odd dialog that brings it down.

kswiston

Thanks. I'm curious to know how much some of these movies spend on marketing.

It depends on the movie. For most big budget movies, $50-100M. For something like Iron Man 3, probably upwards of $150M. For tentpole and family films, some of this is offset by co-marketing campaigns with fast food restaurants or snack food companies and product placement though. Sony in particular takes advantage of product placement.

A rough rule of thumb for determining if a movie was successful is taking the production budget and multiplying it by three. If the worldwide gross is higher than that number, the movie was probably successful.

It's arguably a better made movie than the original, which mostly coasts on nostalgia, that ending tournament, and the charm of Pat Morita.

The remake has legitimate character arcs (multiple) and the first time I can remember that Jackie Chan really ACTED.

So you've never seen Crime Story or any of Jackie's series movies?

Nah, I've seen em, I just think he was pretty boilerplate in those. Most Jackie Chan movies he's a likable figure, but he's still just Jackie Chan being Jackie Chan.

Which is fine: I love those flicks. But for me, he wasn't really Jackie Chan in Karate Kid, to a level I hadn't seen before.

But maybe I'm being a little unfair. I should rewatch and find out. Any excuse to rewatch Police Story is a good one :)

Zen

Banned
Holy shit, After Earth bombed harder than the Coalition Forces in Iraq.

Also, this poster for STiD is terribly apt:

ZTabMpZ.jpg

It's only going to be down a bit over 09 but up a lot internationally. In the end it will end up in about the same place, if not slightly ahead of 09. In fact it's only 60 million off from surpassing 09 worldwide. Factor in after market and it's more than fine with a guaranteed sequel (that might have a budget more comparable to 09 than Into darkness, which is probably more than fine).

JdFoX187

Banned
It's only going to be down a bit over 09 but up a lot internationally. In the end it will end up in about the same place, if not slightly ahead of 09. In fact it's only 60 million off from surpassing 09 worldwide. Factor in after market and it's more than fine with a guaranteed sequel (that might have a budget more comparable to 09 than Into darkness, which is probably more than fine).

I still don't see where the budget went to with Into Darkness. The only "large" setpiece was the sequence at the end. Everything else was comparable to what was in '09.

Nah, I've seen em, I just think he was pretty boilerplate in those. Most Jackie Chan movies he's a likable figure, but he's still just Jackie Chan being Jackie Chan.

Which is fine: I love those flicks. But for me, he wasn't really Jackie Chan in Karate Kid, to a level I hadn't seen before.

But maybe I'm being a little unfair. I should rewatch and find out. Any excuse to rewatch Police Story is a good one :)

Crime Story isn't part of the Police Story series. It's a Crime drama. A very serious crime drama.

Alrus

World War Z could have been a moderate success or a barely break even movie if the marketing wasn't awful. But right now trailers have failed to show anything exciting, what the threat is and barely explain the premise. Those kind of trailer (John Carter and Star Trek Into Darkness had the same kind of shitty marketing) usually don't lead to massive success.

Savitar

Really. Never heard anything of this until now, has it been reported anywhere.

Everything that has been painted about the family is basically how golden they are, always doubted myself especially with Scientology thrown into the mix but there must be some crazy shit going on for him to want to make that happen.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Iron Man 3 always looked like it was going to break $400M (after that first weekend).

Legs are actually on the low side of things.
Yeah, I also expected it to top TDKR domestically. Now it seems like it'll end at ~$420M at most.

overcast

I still don't see where the budget went to with Into Darkness. The only "large" setpiece was the sequence at the end. Everything else was comparable to what was in '09.
Eh the movie seemed pretty expensive. CG was pretty good, and it was all over the movie. Plus the whole cast must have much bigger paychecks this time around.

All in all, I think the movie did solid. We'll see a sequel, but as others said, it'll be lower budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom