• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 5•31-6•2•13 - Eisenberg, right ahead! of Mr & Mr Smith, Whitta am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
Iron Man 3 just wasn't very good, or rather good enough to sustain itself after that kind of opening. I think I'm alone in thinking that it's, relative to when it came outn the weakest of the , but everyone I've talked to has said that it was just 'good'. It seemed like more of a comedy than the last ones and hasn't really stuck with people the same way 1 or 2 did.

Verendus

Banned
Yeah, I also expected it to top TDKR domestically. Now it seems like it'll end at ~$420M at most.
Batman always wins.

Also, after Avengers hype was no longer there, it wasn't able to sustain any good legs after a strong opening. Still think it's better than Iron Man 2. Just treat it as a comedy.

Fezan

Wow another bomb for sony. Sony has no mega block buster movie series beside spiderman now. it may be nice time for Sony to split from its movie division .Also hate for Jaden Smith is unwarranted. he was good in karate kid

Iron man 3 average movie making so much money is disheartening. Potc were at least dumb fun IM3 was just plan boring

Star Trek enjoyed it very much but its not doing so well

Yeah, I also expected it to top TDKR domestically. Now it seems like it'll end at ~$420M at most.

Summer weekdays and weak competition helped out TDKR a lot, you have to admit.

A good run for Iron Man 3, beyond the opening weekend, nothing spectacular. Internationally, completely different story.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Between this, Pacific Rim and World War Z it's going to be a bloodbath this summer.

Don't say that. Pacific Rim will hopefully be a moderate to good success. I certainly know infinitely more people interested in that than After Earth and World War Z.

Boerseun

Banned
5KiFyu0.jpg

His parents are scientologists, no?

Polari

Don't say that. Pacific Rim will hopefully be a moderate to good success. I certainly know infinitely more people interested in that than After Earth and World War Z.

I don't think it will crater like the other two, but considering how much they spent on it, I think it will struggle to be profitable. It's not the easiest concept to sell and they're probably going to have difficulty with the female side of the market. No-name cast won't help either.

why do people keep letting M. Night direct movies

all of them bomb, none of them make their money back why are studios so interested in throwing away money on this guy

Ridley327

all of them bomb, none of them make their money back why are studios so interested in throwing away money on this guy

Because once upon a time, The Sixth Sense and Signs were massive commerical successes, and Unbreakable didn't do too shabby, either.

Somewhere in there is a filmmaker that can make films that can still connect with audiences.

tmarques

He might not be. What are younger audiences going to know him from? His films generally have a short shelf life. Nobody's going back to much of his filmography, even though stuff like Hitch or Men in Black was successful at one time.

Exactly. Will Smith oozes charisma, but he's a mediocre actor who's made mostly safe choices in his career.

This will never get old. He has this look on his face every time he shows up on the AE trailer. It's amazing. Is it a tick he can't control or does he think it makes him look badass?

Log4Girlz

This will never get old. He has this look on his face every time he shows up on the AE trailer. It's amazing. Is it a tick he can't control or does he think it makes him look badass?

Like a baby kitten, I think his eyes are naturally completely closed and he has to pull up his whole face by raising his eyebrows to open them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Will and Jaden will be okay. Hollywood has already been very apprehensive about giving M. Night another big movie. I could see him having to sit out for a couple years.

The After Earth promotional images don't even use his name on them. And considering he used to be a household name, that means they realized that he wasn't a draw for people anymore.

So the director isn't a big draw to excite people AND his skills aren't seen as competent anymore. There is honestly no reason to hire him over anyone else. I'd rather give some first timer the keys and hope for the next big thing. We pretty much know what we're going to get out of M. Night at this point.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Will and Jaden will be okay. Hollywood has already been very apprehensive about giving M. Night another big movie. I could see him having to sit out for a couple years.

The After Earth promotional images don't even use his name on them. And considering he used to be a household name, that means they realized that he wasn't a draw for people anymore.

So the director isn't a big draw to excite people AND his skills aren't seen as competent anymore. There is honestly no reason to hire him over anyone else. I'd rather give some first timer the keys and hope for the next big thing. We pretty much know what we're going to get out of M. Night at this point.

Shit son. Is the directing that bad?

kswiston

The Sixth Sense
Budget: $40M
WW Total: $673M

Unbreakable
Budget: $75M
WW Total: $248M

Signs
Budget: $75M
WW Total: $408M

The Village
Budget: $60M
WW Total: $257M

Lady in the Water
Budget: $70M
WW Total: $72M

The Happening
Budget: $48M
WW Total: $163M

The Last Airbender
Budget: $150M
WW Total: $320M

Other than Lady in the Water and the Last Airbender to a lesser extent, he's had a pretty profitable career. Probably bought himself a decent amount of credit, even though his career is on a downward spiral.

Solo

STiD's performance is oh so disappointing and 100% Paramount + Abrams' fault.

I remember saying a few years ago (when June 2012 was announced as the release date) that they were making a *huge* mistake. I mean, here you had ST2009 come out of nowhere and completely reinvigorate the franchise and gain interest from the masses for the first time. Hollywood 101: you strike when the iron is hot. STiD should have been in production and released before 2012. Instead, they did the absolute worst thing they could do by announcing a date 3 years off and then delaying it a whole year from that. Way to kill all the hype dead in the tracks that you built up from the first film, Paramount.

Abram's fault is his usual problem - forcing such a level of secrecy on plot details that no one outside of people who were going to see the film anyways would be attracted to it from seeing the trailers.

Ridley327

I remember saying a few years ago (when June 2012 was announced as the release date) that they were making a *huge* mistake. I mean, here you had ST2009 come out of nowhere and completely reinvigorate the franchise and gain interest from the masses for the first time. Hollywood 101: you strike when the iron is hot. STiD should have been in production and released before 2012. Instead, they did the absolute worst thing they could do by announcing a date 3 years off and then delaying it a whole year from that. Way to kill all the hype dead in the tracks that you built up from the first film, Paramount.

Abram's fault is his usual problem - forcing such a level of secrecy on plot details that no one outside of people who were going to see the film anyways would be attracted to it from seeing the trailers.

Good to see you back, Solo!

And yes, everyone involved with the marketing of STiD was an idiot, especially the filmmakers themselves.

Zen

Banned
World War Z could have been a moderate success or a barely break even movie if the marketing wasn't awful. But right now trailers have failed to show anything exciting, what the threat is and barely explain the premise. Those kind of trailer (John Carter and Star Trek Into Darkness had the same kind of shitty marketing) usually don't lead to massive success.

Curious, would you say that the original marketing for StarTrek 09 was different than the one we saw for Into Darkness?

jett

D-Member
STiD gets what it deserves. It's a rehash of ST 2009, it's appropriate that it ends up grossing a similar amount. :p

Tookay

Agreed with all of this.

Four years is an eternity in blockbuster years. STID had to cover the same ground both in narrative and in regaining mindshare all over again. It was like a reboot of a reboot.

And you're right; Abrams really should not have been so intentionally coy with the marketing. That did the film no favors, especially when some of the twists and reveals fall flat afterwards and did nothing to really drive the post-release discussion.

Maybe this will make him rethink applying that secrecy/misdirection bullshit to the SW sequels...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, Into Darkness should have been out Summer 2011. Paramount should have done whatever they could have done to get it out two years after the reboot. Summer 2012 was the latest it should have possibly come out.

I remember so many people in 2009 telling me that they weren't into Star Trek but the new movie was so good and way better than they expected. 4 years sitting on the bench completely kills that momentum.

Tookay

But it's okay because JJ got his crummy Spielberg-homage-without-really-understanding-why-Spielberg-movies-work out of his system in-between the two Star Trek movies.

Savitar

How the newest Star Trek was done makes me very worried for the next Star Wars movies.

Be high irony if they end up making people like the prequels in comparison if the new movies are terrible.

How the newest Star Trek was done makes me very worried for the next Star Wars movies.

Be high irony if they end up making people like the prequels in comparison if the new movies are terrible.

Shitty writers of the new trek movies aren't involved with the new Star Wars. It has a higher chance of being a better film

Tamanon

Banned
Now You See Me was outstanding. Glad I went in there without any spoilers or other impressions. Just a fun movie with a great buildup to the various twists.

Alrus

Curious, would you say that the original marketing for StarTrek 09 was different than the one we saw for Into Darkness?

I don't really remember the trailers for the first movie. But the goal was different, 09's marketing had to show that is was a reboot, with newer, younger folks playing and that it was accessible for the uninitiated crowd (that might be aware of the franchise but were put off by the old ones for various reasons). I seem to remember it did a pretty good job at that (at least in the US)

Into Darkness should have shown more about its plot, the main trailer gave you absolutely nothing except that Cumberbatch was someone the crew was chasing after, the rest of the trailer is mostly action sequence, Spok being "snarky" and Kirk "not caring about the rules" (which are character traits that were already well established in the first one). It needed to show the audience it wasn't more of the same (it could have done that if the movie released 2 years ago when hype from the original was still high, but after four years? You need to show something that will be truly exciting and intriguing, not vague shit and stuff you already saw in the original).

John Carter had the same problem that the trailer was barely establishing anything plot-wise and was mostly unrelated scenes lazily slapped together in an "epic" trailer.

I'm sorry for the rather long post, it's rather late and I always have trouble expressing an opinion synthetically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom