• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | Review Thread

The PC patch today pretty much fixed any issues I was having with the port. Didn't see a single stutter or white flash as I played through two missions. This is how the game should have launched.

Went back and rewatched some cutscenes as well since they are no longer stutterfests.

Last edited:

k_trout

this game has wired level design, like the levels were rushed just to get to the boss encounters,
they feel throwaway like someone doing a book report the night before submission.

mxbison

Just beat Lu Bu and that was really fun.

I wish there were more of these longer and tougher boss fights. Most of them until this point felt like I was completely overpowered although I haven't done any farming and didn't even optimize my gear.

Story is still a complete dumpster fire and level design pretty average.

Overall I'm still sitting at a solid 7/10 so far.

cireza

Shouldn't I have learned how to play before this.
From your testimony I would say that it doesn't look like it was the case, so the boss battle most probably serve some purpose... That's probably why the developers included it in the demo as well.

Orbital2060

Made it up to Hulaoguan Pass, game is awesome. Not perfect, and a little bit rough and old school. The double jump is weird. The difficulty is all over the place.

But its awesome.

Some of the bosses leading up to Hulaoguan have been GOAT material, without spoiling anything.

I got lucky with a pair of bronze dual sword and Beckoning Pine. I havent seen the art on any other weapon.

65f0f65d-db25-41bf-840hdfr.png

And focussing on levelling up water, then wood and fire. And 10 points in Earth for some equip load.

There is a shadow assassin bulld which Im gonna try out but it needs some items from one of the companions.

Last edited:

NahaNago

From your testimony I would say that it doesn't look like it was the case, so the boss battle most probably serve some purpose... That's probably why the developers included it in the demo as well.
Then that would be a design flaw then since they should have made sure that I knew how to play the game before I encountered the boss. I simply figured the demo was simply to give you an idea of what the game would be like rather than a full tutorial. I now have an idea and my interest in the game has simply dropped.

cireza

Then that would be a design flaw then since they should have made sure that I knew how to play the game before I encountered the boss. I simply figured the demo was simply to give you an idea of what the game would be like rather than a full tutorial. I now have an idea and my interest in the game has simply dropped.
The demo is the first area of the game. Of course it is meant for you to learn. How are you supposed to get an idea of what a boss is in the game without having to actually fight one ? Stop making excuses for yourself. This is honestly very well made and the gameplay is excellent. If it is not for you, then move on.

NahaNago

The demo is the first area of the game. Of course it is meant for you to learn. How are you supposed to get an idea of what a boss is in the game without having to actually fight one ? Stop making excuses for yourself. This is honestly very well made and the gameplay is excellent. If it is not for you, then move on.
The game could be very well made but that beginning part/demo was not. The difficulty spikes up ridiculously high from regular enemies to the boss. I already said my interest has dropped for the game. Why so defensive over this game?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I hate how Gamepass is changing the mindset of many gamers out there now. One wonders how much MS paid this team to have it on Gamepass for "free". A game like this needs to continue being funded. And I'm not sure the Gamepass dollars upfront will be enough for them.
If it doesn't make them enough money then publishers will stop doing Gamepass deals. No need for you and I to worry about that.

As for post launch support, presumably that's built into the deal between developer and publisher. Otherwise developers would either be potentially unemployed while they wait to find out if there's funding for post launch support or they'd be too busy working on their next project to provide post launch support. Or I suppose the publisher could farm the work out to another team, but that would probably be very inefficient given they couldn't possibly know the game as well as the original developers.

mxbison

To be fair you can throw everything you learned in the first boss fight right back out the window for the next like 8 hours until you reach Lu Bu.

Game definitely has some serious balancing issues.

NahaNago

To be fair you can throw everything you learned in the first boss fight right back out the window for the next like 8 hours until you reach Lu Bu.

Game definitely has some serious balancing issues.
I'll just work on beating this boss since I find him annoying. I kept hearing earlier that the first boss was difficult so I was somewhat understanding.

cireza

The game could be very well made but that beginning part/demo was not.
It is perfectly fine as it sets the bar for exactly what is meant to come, but of course you have to actually beat the first boss and play more to realize that. And you have no clue on the overall picture as you didn't even finish this first part.

ClosBSAS

I hate how Gamepass is changing the mindset of many gamers out there now. One wonders how much MS paid this team to have it on Gamepass for "free". A game like this needs to continue being funded. And I'm not sure the Gamepass dollars upfront will be enough for them.
It sold twice as more than nioh 2 on steam plus dollar from ms. Should be fine. Unlike egs moneyhats that don't sell shit .

Last edited:

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world

Technically, yes, but I don't think you'll be having a good, fun time if you do.

I think the balancing issues are a bit overstated. Yes, the first boss is very hard for a skill check that soon, but the rest of the game feels pretty even in difficulty (not too hard if you know what you're doing but you need to stay on your toes) with Lu Bu being another skill check to make sure you're ready for the rest of the game.

I don't see an issue with this.

I've got the plat trophies for Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nioh 2 yada yada yada but this 1st boss is no joke lol. First phase patterns I've pretty much got down, parrying like a beast. 2nd phase hits damn hard though, can't really make any mistakes.

EDIT: beat 🎉🎉🎉

Last edited:

draliko

I've got the plat trophies for Sekiro, Bloodborne, Nioh 2 yada yada yada but this 1st boss is no joke lol. First phase patterns I've pretty much got down, parrying like a beast. 2nd phase hits damn hard though, can't really make any mistakes.
first phase just stun lock, second phase 2 red parry and a divine beast and you're good to move on

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I went all in on HP Damage effects, Man of Benevolence set
Amplify Damage
Life Wither
Focus Zone
🏇🤺✌️🍻
What level was you character?

Do full sets of armor have their own buff?

I’ve been doing fine except I’m noticing weaknesses to lightning and that’s because I really can’t get my head around distributing points into anything else. Elder Legend Elder Legend did you notice a 500 attack power towards end game? I’ve got my attack power at a level I like it. Some jumps were +2.
E3-D6-B0-F6-9-FBB-4-F44-A932-5-CBC88-F44690.jpg

iorek21

My only real issue with this game is that the gear drop seems less interesting than Nioh, there’s rarely any drop worth of a change in your gear, 90% of the drops are weaker than what I already have.

Also, the game is a little bit on the easier side, but I guess that’s subjective and not really an issue.

Crownttano

What level was you character?

Do full sets of armor have their own buff?
Don't remember I just reached 80+ so less than that since it was days ago but my stats were mostly all in on Wood because the Ring Pommel Sabre mainly scales with that. The rest of my Virtues were to meet Spell requirement
The main thing is staying at full health to do 13% more damage with Man of Benevolence set, and keep negative effects on him
I have Power Gain on gloves after Deflecting Critical Blow, which seems to be the strongest version of it at like 15% more damage, and the longest lasting
Since Power Gain doesn't stack and not all are the same, weaker versions get overwritten, so I put Damage Amplification from Martial Arts on weapon and Wizardry
Spell on headgear
Also if you want to use Life Wither on him off the horse, time it the second after he starts a Critical Blow
Because his damn Fire Enchantment removes Damage Amplification

And for the hell of it, this is at level 88 with a +6 Glaive testing out Overpower Burst

Yumi

Just got to General of Heaven. There’s definitely a groove to this game, and I want to love it. But there’s something about the presentation and graphics that looks off to me. I don’t think the levels are poorly designed, or that the graphics are even that bad, but it’s not really hitting me beyond just being a relatively fun moment to moment action game.

I’m also not engaging much with any of the menu based stuff so that’s on me. I think I’ll put it on the back burner for now. When I’m in the mood to get into the nitty gritty of the systems and give it a real solid hand shake, I’ll come back to it.

LastBattle

Anyone else struggled with Aoye. That stupid horse faced fuck of a boss. I must have done 50 attempts now. Timing his attacks is straight up whack.

DR3AM

Great game. I hope the game does well for a sequel. A bigger budget and removing last gen could make Wo Long 2 a legit competitor.

Series X seems to struggle with cutscenes sometimes. I just beat a boss and the cutscene afterwards froze. It didn't save, so I have to fight the boss all over again. Luckily I kinda liked that boss battle.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the game today. I give it a 8/10. The level design got better. My biggest gripe was re-using the same enemy type. The difficulty was a mix bag.
final boss was a bit of a let down. He had a hefty health bar, but he was just boring to fight against. I was hoping there would have been a large dragon at the end. I was a level 105 when I beat it. The 2 part fight before the final boss was super easy. I liked the bosses in NiOh 2 a lot more. Especially the final boss of N2.
I have a spear with an A+ in fire, but I don’t get how to one shot anything. Managing the right gear for the right properties feels tedious. It wasn’t so bad in NiOh 2. I don’t know how to maximize my full potential. I can dish out high damage, but I don’t feel like I utilized the martial arts or any type of super buffs. Overall it was a fun game. I just wish it would have had more enemy types.

TonyK

I arrived to Lu Bu.
What
the fuck
is this!
Time to drop the game. Thanks God it was from Gamepass and then I don't feel forced to masochisticly play through this to justify the money invested.

Edit: I have beaten him. I don't know why I continue playing this type of games, it's not healthy.

Last edited:

Crownttano

platinum gettttttt

Sláinte! What kinda whisky you like?

I believe that was Jack Daniel's Gentlemen Jack 🥃 free shit, I'll drink whatever they give me 🤣 CHEERS

Lu Bu NG+ under 50 seconds is probly the best I can do for now, I shouldn't have did a Spirit attack at the end but didn't realize how much Spirit he had left in the moment

Level 123
I show my stats at the end
Same build as before but now with the Lingbao Grace set instead of Man of Benevolence
✌️

Yumi

I believe that was Jack Daniel's Gentlemen Jack 🥃 free shit, I'll drink whatever they give me 🤣 CHEERS

Lu Bu NG+ under 50 seconds is probly the best I can do for now, I shouldn't have did a Spirit attack at the end but didn't realize how much Spirit he had left in the moment

Level 123
I show my stats at the end
Same build as before but now with the Lingbao Grace set instead of Man of Benevolence
✌️

God damn man. Good work! I’m on him right now in NG. Never thought to chase him down while he’s on the horse and get hits in while the arrows shoot over you. Thanks for that, gonna shorten up my runs quite a bit. I know I can beat him, just got to get the timing down on his criticals when he’s on foot.

skit_data

I don’t know if it’s some inside joke and I’m not gonna read +8 pages to find out but:
What the hell happened to the word ”Dynasty” in the thread title?

Yumi

Just beat Lu Bu and it was ugly haha. My previous attempt I played much better but made a critical mistake near the end. Probably my favorite level and boss so far.

Enjoying the game a lot more now. I can see the criticisms, especially from people who love Nioh 1 and 2. It wasn’t as big of a step forward that I was hoping for from Team Ninja, but it’s still a good action rpg in my opinion.

TonyK

Final fucking boss is a nightmare. Lu Bu is a joke compared with this. I'm level 100 and I have all my weapons and armor at level 9 and he destroys me.

I hate this feeling in a JRPG of spending so much time upgrading your character to arrive a final boss that makes you feel like at the beginning of the game. RPG elements are pointless with this type of progression, it's only time consuming.

Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Hot5pur

I really tried to like this game, but I just can't. It's repetitive and boring. The RPG stuff is pointless, the story is garbage, the gameplay itself is just learn he patterns and parry. It's like a crappier Sekiro and I didn't care for that game.
I really wish team Ninja would stop aping FROM and actually try to make something original, I guess maybe that Samurai game.
Really disappointed in this game, just incredibly boring. Lu Bu was ok. The next boss was so low effort that I was done.

Aion002

This game could've been great.... But the level design is so boring and repetitive that makes me wonder if they got some unmotivated unpaid intern to make them.

I love Nioh although the level design is really weak, it never affected my enjoyment of the game, but this game....

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

The flooded city stage in particularly is atrocious. I am almost quitting it and I am thankful to game pass, otherwise I would have bought this game.

Such a pity, because the combat system is quite fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom