• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
It's a... Pyrrhic victory I suppose. A racist cop kills a black guy and only gets punished because he isn't white either. GG.
Ugh this is so stupid and diminishing of what the governor said. He said nothing of the cops. He spoke specifically about white priviledge. Idk why or how people are focusing on what color the cop is.

Gattsu25

Banned
Did you even watch it? He said this wouldnt have happened if the driver/passenger was white. Nothing about the officer.

What do you think that means? All other events being equal, if the passengers were white the officer would not have killed him.

That's saying that the officer's fear of black people contributed to the shooting. That the officer is at fault.
With the governor saying its race-related I have conflicting emotions. It's the most infuriating thing that racks my mind. I want justice, but I notice justice only comes when the cop isn't white. It's like 70% good but it feels even more fucked up...

Hard to explain because its the result I want, but it certainly doesn't feel good.

Yeah, this exactly is where I'm at.

rambis

Banned
What do you think that means? All other events being equal, if the passengers were white the offer would not have killed him.

That's saying that the officer's fear of black people contributed to the shooting. That the officer is at fault.

Yeah, this exactly is where I'm at.
It means that a white man in a high position is speaking out about white priviledge. He specifically said he doesnt know if what the cop did was justified or not, but the root of the issue is that the man was black.

There's no fault being blamed here.

Arkeband

Banned
2fZ6KGGl.png

Watch as now the police label him a traitor and turn their backs on him.

Gattsu25

Banned
It means that a white man in a high position is speaking out about white priviledge. He specifically said he doesnt know if what the cop did was justified or not, but the root of the issue is that the man was black.

There's no fault being blamed here.

"So I'm forced to confront, and I think all of us are forced to confront, this kind of racism exists and that it's incumbent upon all of us to vow that we're going to do whatever we can to see that it doesn't happen-- it doesn't continue to happen."

Dude is going to be made an example of. Also, you may need to confront some hard truths that the governor was talking about.

johnny956

I was a passenger in a car when my friend got pulled over in what they thought was a stolen car. It was his car. Cop pulled his gun on us, told us to put our hands on the roof so we raised our hands. When he pulled my friend out of the drivers seat to cuff him my hands started to come down. When he noticed he leaned inside the car and pointed the gun right at my face screaming to show my hands or he was going to blow my head off. I raised my hands again. Thank god im not dead.

Similar thing happened to me. Pulled into my driveway. Cops pulls behind me, telling me to put my hands up. I immediately throw my hands up and my friend asks "what the hell is going on?". I had no idea. I look in my rearview mirror and see the officer has her gun pointed directly at me (using her car door as a shield). She asks me to throw my keys out. I chucked them as far as I could throw them. What seems like ages, she finally walks up to me and asks why I was running. I never even saw the police lights until I pulled into my driveway so I knew that was bullshit. Eventually she admits she entered in the license plate incorrectly. I'm white, so I have no doubt that it would probably would have gone differently if I was black

ISIS are all thinking "why trouble ourselves killing Americans, the cops are doing it for us".
That Senator who said police was his ISIS caught flak back then but he wasn't wrong. If you're black in the United States, it's not unreasonable to feel the police are a more pressing danger to your continued existence than jihadi assholes.

Similar thing happened to me. Pulled into my driveway. Cops pulls behind me, telling me to put my hands up. I immediately throw my hands up and my friend asks "what the hell is going on?". I had no idea. I look in my rearview mirror and see the officer has her gun pointed directly at me (using her car door as a shield). She asks me to throw my keys out. I chucked them as far as I could throw them. What seems like ages, she finally walks up to me and asks why I was running. I never even saw the police lights until I pulled into my driveway so I knew that was bullshit. Eventually she admits she entered in the license plate incorrectly. I'm white, so I have no doubt that it would probably would have gone differently if I was black

Probably a little crack sprinkled on you and an assaulting a police officer charge. No biggie

FStubbs

That Senator who said police was his ISIS caught flak back then but he wasn't wrong. If you're black in the United States, it's not unreasonable to feel the police are a more pressing danger to your continued existence than jihadi assholes.

Fwiw, there have been cases of jihadists (not necessarily ISIS) who have taken hostages and let the black ones go because "America is your enemy too".

Diffense

This is so frustrating especially since citizens cannot usually opt out of encounters with police. They're going about their business and they're detained and, by law, can't go anywhere until the police say they can. So what do they really do when both resistance or compliance may result in their execution in a scenario that they cannot reliably avoid because the police are in control of its occurrence and duration?

What kind of nation am I describing?
Is it "free"?

Rights aren't worth the paper they're written on if they aren't actually guaranteed in practice.

EDIT: nevermind I misread it.

BFIB

So two shootings in two days, both are card carrying members of the NRA (at least I thought I had read that Alton was a concealed/carry owner in Baton Rouge?), yet the NRA isn't out protecting their rights.

So two shootings in two days, both are card carrying members of the NRA (at least I thought I had read that Alton was a concealed/carry owner in Baton Rouge?), yet the NRA isn't out protecting their rights.

This is shocking to you? Really? Are you American?

In Minneaapolis at work. Coworkers are upset that an Asian American is being called out by the governor. Up to this point, I've felt that Governor Dayton was the Democratic idiot rich son who didn't deserve the office (i.e. Minnesota George W).

Today I can't help but admire his courage. It is NOT because this cop is a minority that he will eventually feel the full weight of the law, but because of what he did. People, a man was shot dead in front of his lover for no good reason. Her daughter watched him bleed out as his aggressor was called "sir." And again the victim is black. The race of the cop is irrelevant. Even if the cop was black himself, I would count punishment against him as a justice served.

Institutional racism isn't white vs black. The "institution" in this case is a rainbow of ignorance,

Brakke

Banned
Simply owning a gun doesn't make you a "card carrying member" of the NRA.

And why are we asking the NRA to behave better anyway?

kirblar

This is why:
Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 29m29 minutes ago Manhattan, NY

If the NRA won't advocate for family of #PhilandoCastille, then it's an organization of paranoid white grievance and not gun rights.
It lets you undermine their legitimacy.

Brakke

Banned
This is why:

It lets you undermine their legitimacy.

But duh. I don't want a world where the NRA does the perfect job of pursuing its alleged mission, I want a world without the NRA at all.

If we create some standard that they're failing, then don't we have to recognize and appreciate them if they do comment on this and live up to that standard? Fuck that, I'm not giving the NRA any win conditions.

Rather not watch the video, so can someone summarize what happened in the video?

I couldn't sit through all of it, but car apparently gets pulled over for a busted tail-light. Video starts with the male black passenger shot and bleeding in his seat while the GF narrates, explains what's going on. (He apparently reached for his license while informing the cop that he had a gun and was licensed for open carry, and the cop shot him on the spot.) All while the cop is shaking and probably shitting bricks over realizing how badly he fucked up while the dude bleeds to death.

BFIB

This is shocking to you? Really? Are you American?

Whoa, no need to be so hostile. I was asking a question if Alton was a concealed/carry owner, and if he is, then its obvious the NRA are obviously being racist themselves.

I know tensions are high, but no need to be that hostile.

Desi

In Minneaapolis at work. Coworkers are upset that an Asian American is being called out by the governor. Up to this point, I've felt that Governor Dayton was the Democratic idiot rich son who didn't deserve the office (i.e. Minnesota George W).

Institutional racism isn't white vs black. Those bad actors within the police force are a rainbow of ignorance.
Second Asian cop to get convicted? Still looking for the white ones

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I'm pretty sure that isn't correct in Alton's case, and he legally should not have had a gun at the time.

jmizzal

If you got more to say when people protest or even riot but little to say in response to this shit right here then you are fucking coward and apart of the problem.

exactly kinda what Jessie Williams was saying, but that just pissed them off more

Wow, even the governor said its race related.

This should be in 48 point bold font in the newspapers.

He basically said, it's hard to imagine that it would have happened, if the guy was white.
And that's the thing the police apologists are going to fight so hard against.

He's not white iirc right? So that's a real possibility.

Look up the Peter Liang incident. He got convicted but received a slap on the wrist as punishment. A portion of New York's Asian community spent quite some time demanding that he got the same teflon quality treatment that white officers get. I'm praying that we won't see a repeat of that here.

Today I can't help but admire his courage. It is NOT because this cop is a minority that he will eventually feel the full weight of the law, but because of what he did. People, a man was shot dead in front of his lover for no good reason. Her daughter watched him bleed out as his aggressor was called "sir." And again the victim is black. The race of the cop is irrelevant. Even if the cop was black himself, I would count punishment against him as a justice served.

Institutional racism isn't white vs black. The "institution" in this case is a rainbow of ignorance,
Your co-workers are a bunch of arseholes.

Who are you trying to fool? Normally the NRA can't stop itself from tripping over its own collective feet when gun owners, NRA members or not, are in trouble. I don't think anyone's asking the NRA to behave 'better'. We're calling them out for not behaving 'the same' as when white gun owners are in the crosshairs.
Hypocritical cunts, the lot.

NRA not defending black people? Not surprising in the slightest. They should be coming out of the woodwork, but will probably offer some half-heart statement showing how much they really care.

Always puzzling when black people gloat about their presence in the NRA, despite the obvious reality.

edit:

And yeah, NRA care about money over everything.

As someone that actually spends time with NRA employees at the NRA range in Fairfax VA I'll say the NRA is in a bizarre place. It's filled with people internally that I would assume would love to tackle this to "change" the image of gun owners as American history X types.

However, the leadership there is insane and makes it's money by fear mongering with ISIS and saying the next terror attack is around the corner. Or worse that the government is trying to take our guns. They make loads of money off paranoia but actually end up hiring good people for educational programs. If NRA members hit them in their wallets and the government wouldnt basically require gun ranges and clubs to be peasants to the NRA as if they're a government entity they wouldn't have the power they do.

Sad fact is that organization is responsible for a lot of black hate crime by fueling the bad guy mentality. Thus, even if they do have people inside who want to talk they'll be too scared to talk fearing they'll care off donating followers.

TLDR NRA has people who care about black folk, they just like money and donations more than black people.

I should start running tours for tourists to the range here so you get a grasp of how weird it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom