• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Who are you trying to fool? Normally the NRA can't stop itself from tripping over its own collective feet when gun owners, NRA members or not, are in trouble. I don't think anyone's asking the NRA to behave 'better'. We're calling them out for not behaving 'the same' as when white gun owners are in the crosshairs.
Hypocritical cunts, the lot.

I'm not trying to fool anyone, I don't know where you get that.

Do we have an all-else-equal case to compare against here? Of a police killing a white gun carrier and the NRA standing tall for him? At the recent NRA annual meeting, several NRA leadership rallied *against* increased scrutiny of police officers. Law Enforcement are a significant NRA constituency.

ironcreed

Banned
Jesus Christ. He is still yelling and acting rabid with his gun drawn on a man he just killed. Then here come more of them with their guns drawn to arrest the lady. All over a busted tail light. And was that a baby I heard in the car as well?

Jeff-DSA

This is absolutely infuriating. If the guy and his girlfriend were white, the outrage would be deafening. But on second thought, he probably wouldn't have been shot. She probably wouldn't have even been pulled over.

test_account

XP-39C²
I've never followed up on similar cases, but are there any cases were the cops have been sentenced for murder? For example, i remember a relatively recent case where a guy was running from the cop in a park, and he got shot several times in the back. The cop gave a different explanation from what happened compared to what we could see in the video. Does anyone know the outcome of that case?

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there a video that shows the whole incident? Or she started filming after he was shot only? Just got off work.

My feeling is that she used the facebook livestreaming feature as life insurance: feeling that the cops would be less likely to murder her if they knew that the incident would be blasted all over the web at the same time.

She only started recording after the police had shot her boyfriend several times.

Quazar

My feeling is that she used the facebook livestreaming feature as life insurance: feeling that the cops would be less likely to murder her if they knew that the incident would be blasted all over the web at the same time.

She only started recording after the police had shot her boyfriend several times.

I'm just curious as I saw clip really early this morning. Was wonder if what I saw was the whole video. Sounds like it was.

therapist

why dont these fucking cops use tasers , WTF this happens so often

not saying he deserved to be tased , sure didnt sound like it ...

fucking aggrevating seeing this shit

ironcreed

Banned

What blows me away is that the officer is yelling and continues to draw his gun on a man that is sitting there bleeding to death in the car seat after being shot 4 times. All with a little child in the back.

Jarsonot

It's so weird. Why would the cop have his gun out at all? He asks for ID, the guy tells him he's getting his ID, and BAM! He must've approached the car with his weapon drawn? Is that acceptable? I would think if there's a situation where you're approaching a car with weapon drawn, you should call for backup before doing anything...

I've never followed up on similar cases, but are there any cases were the cops have been sentenced for murder? For example, i remember a relatively recent case where a guy was running from the cop in a park, and he got shot several times in the back. The cop gave a different explanation from what happened compared to what we could see in the video. Does anyone know the outcome of that case?

From what I understand the army of lawyers and other legal barriers make it very hard for officers to ever see prison time. As for Walter Scott which is what you're referencing:

State murder charge Edit
After the police department reviewed the video,[7] Slager was arrested on April 7 and charged with murder.[49]

On June 8, a South Carolina grand jury indicted Slager on the murder charge[1][note 2] after a few hours of deliberation. If convicted, he would face between 30 years and life in prison without the possibility of parole.[32] The murder charge was the only charge presented to the grand jury.[50]

On January 4, 2016, after being held without bail for almost nine months, Slager was released on $500,000 bond. He is confined to house arrest until the trial, which is scheduled to begin October 31, 2016.[51][52]

Federal charges Edit
On May 11, 2016, Slager was indicted on federal charges of violating Scott’s civil rights and unlawfully using a weapon during the commission of a crime. In addition, he was charged with obstruction of justice as a result of his statement to state investigators that Scott was moving toward him with the Taser when he shot him.[21]

I couldn't sit through all of it, but car apparently gets pulled over for a busted tail-light. Video starts with the male black passenger shot and bleeding in his seat while the GF narrates, explains what's going on. (He apparently reached for his license while informing the cop that he had a gun and was licensed for open carry, and the cop shot him on the spot.) All while the cop is shaking and probably shitting bricks over realizing how badly he fucked up while the dude bleeds to death.

Absolutely horrifying but sadly not the full happening, so unless there were more witnesses it will be her word against the cop's.

But if it turns out there really isn't much more to it than what she said....i have no words. She loses her man for that and a four year old loses his/her father, goddamn terrible.

I don't live in the USA, but i wonder how long until people start to take matters into their own hands and where incidents will happen where a cop randomly gets shot.

akira28

Well does the liability and ethics of policing and training to the city or municipality come into play? Like who is the fall guy, who is to blame, and who can this be pinned on? Usually they'd just like to pin it to smoke or the fog of war but at some point someone is going to point up instead of down as a way to find solutions. The way policing is done itself.

The things that really stick are liability and responsibility. We know that racism and guns and fear and the current socio-economic climate including crime and poverty create this environment that complicates a lot of things, but no one will ever acknowledge it. They'll just roll out the usual suspects, 'bad training, bad community rapport', "policeman did the best he could", maybe someone loses their job, a study or three get done, but nothing changes. Unless something makes it happen. We will see a whole lot more dead bodies before someone says "hey maybe something is wrong with the way we do things" if we just leave it up to them.

test_account

XP-39C²
From what I understand the army of lawyers and other legal barriers make it very hard for officers to ever see prison time. As for Walter Scott which is what you're referencing:
Thanks. Yeah, thats indeed the case that i'm thinking of. What does the last update mean? He didnt get charged for murder, but for those other reasons instead? If so, that is such fucking bullshit. Too low sentencing for hard crime is some of the things that annoys me the most.

frontovik

Banned
That's just tragic.

Castile did the right thing in informing the officer that he was authorized to carry a firearm, and in disgusting irony he still gets shot.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
CZfZ8Y4.jpg

crowd at Philando Castile remembrance

https://twitter.com/DavidDouglasTV

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
its worth noting that he always looks like that. He's actually a pretty good governer, but smooth he ain't. For example, here's him at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Vikings stadium.

vikings-stadium-footbburd-1.jpg

Lol. Dude, what is it with the other people in the photographs of this guy? Their facial expressions crack me up.

I've noticed in my personal life that a lot more white people I interact with who are normally diet all-lives-matter are coming around on this one. One who is a friend went on a rant for 15 minutes all the while forgetting that none of this is new to me.

Its like all his predisposed beliefs of cops = good, shot person = bad has been whittled down over the last few years. Seems like the last two shootings was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Nothing really to add, but he is the physical embodiment of the white america that thinks its never as bad as it seems, an out of sight - out of mind type of guy. It does give me hope that if he can be outraged, maybe these two cases can be a tipping point.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Man, this one hit me hard.

I'm not from the US, and my country (Brazil) has it's fair share of policy brutality problems, that are more social related than race. But reading about this and watching part of the video made me realize that the world as a whole is truly fucked up today.

When I look at my son and remember that all this mess happened with a kid in the backseat living through it, I can't hold the tears....

My feelings go to the family of this man, so that they can go through this situation with the minimum of damages.

I've noticed in my personal life that a lot more white people I interact with who are normally diet all-lives-matter are coming around on this one. One who is a friend went on a rant for 15 minutes all the while forgetting that none of this is new to me.

Its like all his predisposed beliefs of cops = good, shot person = bad has been whittled down over the last few years. Seems like the last two shootings was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Nothing really to add, but he is the physical embodiment of the white america that thinks its never as bad as it seems, an out of sight - out of mind type of guy. It does give me hope that if he can be outraged, maybe these two cases can be a tipping point.
Yeah I've noticed this as well. Of course, the most militant or extreme idiots will never change, but I've seen diet racists give their pre-conceived notions a second look today. I'm not hopeful about it, though.

SpecX

Fuck this shit man, this is extremely sad especially with the guys daughter in the backseat to witness this. What the hell is wrong with this cop and if her story is exactly how it played out, he needs to be locked up. You know the cops are desperately searching his background to find any kind of dirt on him to defuse the publicity this is getting.

This keeps on happening and I'm even more nervous around cops than what I've been brought up to be. I was just in the grocery store Tuesday and a cop walked past me and was polite enough to say good morning. Still didn't stop my heart from racing and my fear instinct from kicking in even though we just passed by one another and I had nothing to hide or wasn't in any way doing anything wrong.

CLBridges

Got off work yesterday, watched the Baton Rouge video of cop shooting/killing black male. Get off work today, watch video of black male shot/killed by cop. Am I living in some distorted reality? Is this really happening? That child will be traumatized for a long time. Change needs to come quickly.

Yeah I've noticed this as well. Of course, the most militant or extreme idiots will never change, but I've seen diet racists give their pre-conceived notions a second look today. I'm not hopeful about it, though.

Lucky you. I just had some jack ass go on a rant telling everyone they SHOULD be shot by police if they're not complying. I sent him a link to this video showing him that listening to authority won't protect them either, and him and his buddies all piled up on me with all sorts of diet racist comments. It's amazing that they can make claims that black people are doing this or that when it comes to the police, but when I challenge that, I have white guilt and can't speak for black people.

Whatever. Deleted.

Got off work yesterday, watched the Baton Rouge video of cop shooting/killing black male. Get off work today, watch video of black male shot/killed by cop. Am I living in some distorted reality? Is this really happening? That child will be traumatized for a long time. Change needs to come quickly.

Had the same exact thought right now, freaking tears in my eyes, this shit is sick.

Zukuu

Banned
I have no clue what goes on in the mind of these officers. How can you be so freaking jumpy? "Get your ID" "grabs into trousers" "OMG HE WILL PULL A GUN" - like wtf? Why / how do they think like that. Arent police staff psychological tested for stability before they get a license to kill gun? I would be terrified to live in the US.

Also, I'm amazed how she can be so calm in that situation. Must be shock. :(

User1608

Banned
Now is the time more than ever to speak up and call them out on their shit.
Indeed. My friends seem to be unfortunately indifferent and uncomfortable but I'm not giving up letting them know this shit is real for black men and women, and minorities in general.

This is reality.

- J - D -

Rather morbid thing to be glad about given the circumstances but I'm glad the woman wasn't killed too.

And I'm glad that a k-9 wasn't loosed on the kid. Might sound unlikely but I wouldn't put it past the cops.

I have no clue what goes on in the mind of these officers. How can you be so freaking jumpy? "Get your ID" "grabs into trousers" "OMG HE WILL PULL A GUN" - like wtf? Why / how do they think like that. Arent police staff psychological tested for stability before they get a license to kill gun? I would be terrified to live in the US.

Also, I'm amazed how she can be so calm in that situation. Must be shock. :(
Racism and fear of black men run deep in America. Combine that with the fact that cops probably read a lot of news about cops being killed on the job and you have tons of cops out there seeing any black man as a threat to their safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom