• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

"Call down an infernal to instantly complete a World Quest on your map!"

Wow that sounds awesome!!

Translation - "Call down an infernal to instantly complete a World Quest on your map! Just not any of the annoying ones, the elite ones, dungeon ones, or anything thats rare."

Oh nice glad I spent 10,000 resources on that fucking bait. I guess now I can do those World Quests asking for 40 fjarnskaggl.

Lol really? I thought about doing the mage one..

Anyone have some class insights? I'm thinking of jumping into the game again with Legion having left shortly after Mists of Pandaria launched and I can't decide what class to play. :| I used to play Death Knight and Paladin Tanks and also healed with a Druid and Priest, but I can't decide if I want to do that again or play a DPS class like Mage. So many choices <_<

cdyhybrid

Anyone have some class insights? I'm thinking of jumping into the game again with Legion having left shortly after Mists of Pandaria launched and I can't decide what class to play. :| I used to play Death Knight and Paladin Tanks and also healed with a Druid and Priest, but I can't decide if I want to do that again or play a DPS class like Mage. So many choices <_<
Do the Artifact quests for some specs you're interested in. You'll get a feel for the class and a lot of them are pretty cool.

Assuming you already have the characters at 100, that is. Can give the class trials a whirl too.

th3dude

I've played Paladin so much that I honestly know very little about any other class.

What I can tell you is that tanks are in a great spot right now. Doing nice DPS. Never die when questing, and instant queue dungeons with lots of gold and artifact power rewards.

Lanrutcon

Translation - "Call down an infernal to instantly complete a World Quest on your map! Just not any of the annoying ones, the elite ones, dungeon ones, or anything thats rare."

Oh nice glad I spent 10,000 resources on that fucking bait. I guess now I can do those World Quests asking for 40 fjarnskaggl.

Logged a ticket around this telling Blizzard to update their fucking tooltips.

RPGCrazied

I watched the movie finally the other day. Got to say, I loved it. More so cause I'm a fan of the game. The little Easter eggs had me smiling. Specially seeing IF in all its glory! The picture of the outside is just like in-game.

And yeah, I think they portrayed the Orc struggle better than the humans. I want to see more of that. Gul'dan is such a monster! Lets see Warcraft 2 now. There is enough lore to make a few movies.

Robin64

Organised group PvP for professions? Really, Blizz..

Ct3WMnxWcAARmcg.jpg

Lomax

Seriously? Wtf is the point of it then? Because those are the only ones it would be at all worthwhile for. It's interesting seeing how full of absolutely idiotic design Legion is, once the honeymoon phase is over if their content release rate slips even a little I think we're going to see a backlash that will make the response to WoD seem tame.

Whats with blizzard obsesion to make Turtle mounts so hard to get. the new turtle mount requires your liver and 1 year to get it.

As a GM, this is something that always preys on my mind, and I try to spread myself as widely as possible among the members of the guild without falling into the trap of only running content with the members I've known since TBC. However, one interesting thing I've noticed each expansion is that there's a fairly significant issue with respect to gearing people to get them ready for raids.

Standard 5-man setup is 3 dps, 1 healer, 1 tank.

Standard raid setup is N dps, (N+2)/4 healers, 2 tanks.

Because the number of tanks remains constant, each tank has a disproportionate responsibility compared to the other roles when it comes to running the 5-mans required to getting people up to speed. Based on napkin maths, I *think* it works out as If you were to take each DPS through the same number of dungeons, each tank would have to run N/6 times as many dungeons as each DPS; 12 DPS means each tank has to do twice as much work than a given DPSer, 18 means each has to do three times as much.

Obviously this is assuming only two viable tanks, which isn't *necessarily* accurate (certainly at the low end), but if people are completely devoted to their role, that's how it'll pan out.

I think that's a potential source of tank burnout that isn't hugely being addressed at the moment; the cost of giving sufficient attention to the guild as a whole. Not sure what the solution might be - flex dungeons allowing from 5-to-10 people, to allow more DPS to get in per-tank?

(In pure gearing terms, the fact that other non-dungeon passages to gear exist certainly helps, but as a GM, I'm also trying to promote community within the guild, and WQs don't lend themselves to that, elite ones aside)

I guess the sort way of putting it is this: As a GM, as a MT, I'm asking myself what is the best thing I can do for the health of the guild - in both gear terms and social cohesion terms - and broadly speaking, the logical answer to that would appear to be 'run lots of dungeons for everyone'.

I dunno if is just only me but my guild is super helpful in materials or some quests but when its mythic or serious stuff they got in their own group, yesterday an old friend of them resubbed and some of the guild took to heroics and mythic while I am still on the queue line to go with them.

Lomax

They aren't even that good! That's what keeps getting me. Who the hell is going to put that work in for a piece of 815 gear?

And not only that, but the material savings of the three star patterns that sell on vendors would take hundreds of times making them just to justify the gold cost, often for things that have essentially no demand. The system seemed like a good idea on paper, but the execution of it was awful. How was this in alpha/beta so long and still made it to release in such terrible shape?

Oh and I noticed this week that if I go back to draenor and do anything, I get the useless profession drops constantly. It's just minor things like that make it seem like bug reports aren't paid attention to at all. Yeah, I'm having fun with Legion, and maybe they'll have so much content we never really care this time, but the whole "made by the C team" feel of WoD is still just as pervasive now as it was then.

The ranking stuff works well for any profession where you constantly make items, like flasks or gems.

It seems they failed on professions that make gear. Tailoring is a mess, for instance.

Sölf

Well, we oneshotted Xavius und normal mode. That was a let down, even though the fight looks really cool.

Then we died like 4-5 times in Nythendra HC. And now we are wiping on the Dragons of Nightmare. xD

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The ranking stuff works well for any profession where you constantly make items, like flasks or gems.

It seems they failed on professions that make gear. Tailoring is a mess, for instance.

It would be perfectly fine if the gear got better as you got higher ranks (in addition to the lowered material cost). It would make this stuff worth making. Like rank 1 is 815, rank 2 is 830 and rank 3 is 845. Make rank 2 harder to get in this scenario, but it would instantly make the gear crafting professions worthwhile again.

Mupod

Last night my guild only needed like 2-3 pulls for heroic Dragons and this is anything but a serious hardcore group.

Ursoc took a few pulls but once myself and the other tank got it down it went okay. The advice from this thread ended up being quite helpful - taunting on each debuff application 'just works' even though it felt like it wouldn't. None of us had both debuffs at any point. The only issue was that we just weren't prepared for how fast the tank swaps have to be.

Il'gynoth wasn't too bad once people stopped dying to stupid crap. Literally the first pull where 3-4 people didn't die to blob explosions or staying in during recomposition, we won.

Honestly we had the most trouble with Nythendra so far which seemed to be all on bad positioning. After that I don't think any of us were expecting to make so much progress last night (guild only raids 6-7-ish hours a week).

Tailoring is bizzare , normal gear no longer gives you points around 745 which leads us to special gear is kinda hard to craft and stops giving bonus around 770 then you are stuck.

I dont think I havent see a Tailoring WQ

Tailoring is bizzare , normal gear no longer gives you points around 745 which leads us to special gear is kinda hard to craft and stops giving bonus around 770 then you are stuck.

I dont think I havent see a Tailoring WQ

Ive seen a couple

But they have you mke that hard to make gear for just rank 3 for said piece you made

Jrmint

Mulberry and Pickman:
Go ahead and add me on bnet. Jrmint#1322.
I'll be on tonight after 8 est or so.
We use mumble for raid communication btw.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, that's the other stupid thing about it all.

Outside of the bracer quest for obliterum, pretty much every gear-crafting profession is worthless at this point, unless you want to invest a shitton of gold for 850 versions (outside of maybe engi for the engi-only benefits).

But why waste the gold and mats when you can just wait a few days for warforged procs? Right now, the only other use for it is for getting ilevel 810 for heroic runs..

Meanwhile alchy (and to a relatively lesser extent due to lack of chaos crystals, Enchanting) are making hand over foot.

It's absolutely baffling.

Raising the ilevel of the 2/3 star items would be beneficial in that regard, but I can't see it happening in the immediate future.

Somewhat related note, is the market for the codex that lets you swap talents in raid worth anything? AFAIK that's all inscriptionists have to sell now outside of cosmetic glyphs and the 805 crafted relics...

edit: And Darkmoon Cards, I forgot about them. Not too sure where they stack up in the power rating this time around, though.

biaxident

Sounds like you need to find a better guild. Unless they're friends and you really enjoy the social atmosphere, there's nothing wrong with looking to move up to something more on your level if you don't want to babysit bads.

I've been through so many guilds on my server, its super low pop and about every guild is so super casual filled with bads. My friend I play with (also a gaffer) is in there, but thats really my only tie to them and I reeled him in and I know he hates it lol. Progression with casual people feels totally fine, but theres just a line when you have a terrible player that you gotta bench for the good of the guild, and our GM isn't willing to do that yet. Doesn't help one of the main bads is his RL friend.

Megasoum

Banned
My Azeroth geography is a bit rusty. What's the quickest way for a horde player to go from Dalaran to Blackwing lair?

I'm guessing port to Org, Zep to Strangle Thorne and then fly north?

I want to start farming the rest of my Tier 2 Judgment set.

Fjordson

My Azeroth geography is a bit rusty. What's the quickest way for a horde player to go from Dalaran to Blackwing lair?

That's what I would do, but I could be wrong.

Tenebrous

There's a portal to Blasted Lands in Orgrimmar. Also Direbrew Remote if you have it.

cdyhybrid

There's a portal to Blasted Lands in Org. Down in the area where the Warlock trainers are, can't remember the name at the moment.

Strimei

Have any mages noticed Ice Block being weird lately?

Like, its supposed to make you invulnerable for its period but I've had it actually "break", I guess, for lack of a better term, under damage from mobs a few times now. Like, I used it when Helya used her breath attack thing in Maw of Souls and it broke after like two seconds.

Sölf

The new Dalaran has a portal to Karazhan in the central building, that would be even faster. The only other thing may be portal to Orgrimmar -> Portal to Twilight Highlands.

I've used it once on a PvP FFA quest (fuck PvP ;P) and once on a prof quest to get a rank 3 plan without having to craft the rank 2. Eh, better than the other option!

Lain

Ask someone with a Brewfest mole to give you a ride, if you don't have one. Otherwise port to any city, take the portal to Blasted Land and then fly.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Yeah, I got lucky as my guildmates warned me about this one.

The alternative isn't much better for Pally (Order resources for Bonus roll coins, which I can only assume are cheaper than the equivalent from the dude outside VH?), but that's a pretty shitty bait and switch, of which the limitations aren't told to you at all.

The bonus roll thing is definitely one of the better options if you raid. My alternative for that (Hunter) is to gain order resources when doing World Quests with a Combat Ally. Literally the same as a follower gear piece.

Renekton

Out of boredom I did the 10 skirmish wins questline. I lost 5 in a row, each time my two teammates died in under 10 seconds. The one I was most baffled by was that me, as an unholy DK, survived longer against a demon hunter and holy priest than my teammates (resto shaman/prot warrior) did against a single frost mage.
DKs are near unkillable in PvP. This has been common knowledge for a very long time.

And not only that, but the material savings of the three star patterns that sell on vendors would take hundreds of times making them just to justify the gold cost, often for things that have essentially no demand. The system seemed like a good idea on paper, but the execution of it was awful.

The items you craft need to go up in ilvl as you get new ranks. Should have been 810->820->830 with a chance to War/Titanforge up to 845 or something. Otherwise the gear is literally worthless. I didn't get access to the 815 gear until well after I was past 810 and then Heroic gear was all instantly better. Not to mention it takes so much time and money to get the Obliterum Forge going, there's almost no way you're going to upgrade any of that shit to 7/7.

Tenebrous

Shield Slam now generates 20 Rage (was 10).
Ignore Pain&#8217;s maximum absorption has been reduced by 33%.

YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEES! Now unnerf Intercept.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Shield Slam now generates 20 Rage (was 10).
Ignore Pain’s maximum absorption has been reduced by 33%.

YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEES! Now unnerf Intercept.

There we go, that's much better. Now give shield block a little buff. Not a big one, just a tiny one.

Tenebrous

There we go, that's much better. Now give shield block a little buff. Not a big one, just a tiny one.

Not sure it's needed.

As happy as I am with the changes, it does mean we'll be going back to ignoring Revenge on all but the GCD before SS resets anyway. Two button DPS rotation it is!

Top Bottom