• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Top 50 Most Dangrous Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

I'm shocked there aren't many African countries on this list

There's probably some sort of criteria. I mean, obviously I'd rather be in Detroit than, say, Kinshasa. They're probably basing the dangerousness off crime rate, not actual dangerous situations (like war).

clemenx

Banned
To be fair these lists not always reflect the true level of danger for the average citizen. I live in no. 2 and most of the danger is in collateral damage. If you are involved in the conflict then yes, you are in great danger. But for the city folk the worst of this exceptional phase seems to have passed, hopefuly. If what the media told me was true, I should've died a long time ago.

Which is why I consider Caracas the most dangerous. We have similar murder rates but very few organized crime (though some of the Colombian drug trade is settling in here :/ but still nothing major) almostevery murder here is because of opposing resistance to robbery. It's depressing.

Which is why I consider Caracas the most dangerous. We have similar murder rates but very few organized crime (though some of the Colombian drug trade is settling in here :/ but still nothing major) almostevery murder here is because of opposing resistance to robbery. It's depressing.
Agreed, I rather roam my dear Warez than Caracas at night.

To be fair these lists not always reflect the true level of danger for the average citizen. I live in no. 2 and most of the danger is in collateral damage. If you are involved in the conflict then yes, you are in great danger. But for the city folk the worst of this exceptional phase seems to have passed, hopefuly. If what the media told me was true, I should've died a long time ago.

I always wish this kind of stuff was brought up instead of pure numbers. I always feel mexico gets a bad rap. Yes too many innocent people have been killed but a lot of the killed have been people who were mixed up with the drug trade rather than just randoms who were killed. I have plenty of mexican friends who have never felt in danger (neither have I when I've visted).

bengraven

Jesus Christ.

Mexico, Brazil, Mexico, Brazil, Mexico, Brazil...

Man, if they had more oil there we'd be doing something.

DiscoJer

43 Saint Louis, USA
44 Mosul, Iraq

Woohoo! St. Louis! I knew we'd make the list.

But I think it does illustrate the ridiculousness of our propensity to meddle over seas and tell other countries what to do, when we have serious problems here at home we should be addressing.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Jesus Christ.

Mexico, Brazil, Mexico, Brazil, Mexico, Brazil...

Man, if they had more oil there we'd be doing something.
Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuela are three of the top 11 oil producers in the world (and produce more oil than Iraq or Libya). Most of it is off shore, I think.

jbueno

While it is indeed true that most of these studies take into consideration number of killed people, which nowadays are mostly organized-crime related, their activities nowadays include systematic armed robbery, kidnappings, extortion and other illegal activities which certainly do not require the victim to be involved with the cartels. The problem nowadays is that everyone can be a target for them, from the owner of a little convenience store to big shot business people and everyone in-between, for ransoms from $20,000 pesos to several million pesos. Hell I´ve even been kidnapped for fucks sake, we physicians are targeted for our services and for our wealth, if any; fortunately I was unharmed.

TheMan

SMH at mexico, so sad to think about what the drug war is doing, and will continue to do, to that country. Monterrey makes me particularly sad- pretty much the entire side of my mom's family lives there and I'd love to go back with my wife and daughter (haven't been since i was 16), but i just don't feel safe doing so. One day.

Jangocube

Banned
Damn, Baltimore's in the top 50 =( Such a shame too. Some of the places are very beautiful, but others are definitely The Wire in appearance.

My great grandmothers neighborhood used to be so beautiful when she was growing up but now I wouldn't drive past her old house if ya paid me too. Drugs and poverty have just crushed a lot of neighborhoods in downtown Baltimore.

Peterthumpa

Complete bullshit right there. My city (Belo Horizonte) more dangerous than Rio de Janeiro? I mean, I know that Rio is getting better concerning security in the last few years, but Belo Horizonte at 45 and no signs of Rio in that list makes no fuckin' sense.

My city is absolutely ok concerning security (for a big city), those numbers are coming from somebody's ass.

DiscoJer

Yeah that'd be them. Are city names generally directly translated like these in Spanish even though they are proper nouns?

Well, St. Louis should actually be pronounced the French way "Sin-loo-we"? since it was originally founded by the French and named after King Louis IX. Not until the Louisiana Purchase was it part of the US...

Though it's interesting, you do sometimes see the spanish name used in a few places (even though we have almost no hispanics here for some reason)

It's not just the missing warzones, whatever criteria they had in mind, this list sucks badly.

This is more like it:

10. Conakry, Guinea Republic

9. Nairobi, Kenya

8. Sana’a, Yemen

7. Tbilisi, Georgia

6. Karachi, Pakistan

5. Kinshasa, Democratic Rep. of the Congo

4. Bangui, Central African Republic

3. Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire

2. N’Djamena, Chad

1. Baghdad, Iraq

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Huh? i though you were from Guadalajara.
I was born in California, lived in Mazatlán since I was one month old until elementary school, went to school in Guadalajara until high school, spent high school in Mazatlán again and I am living in Houston right now.

Pero las Chivas son las mejores. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom