• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's most livable cities in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calgary is a work-centric, poorly planned city. There's really no reason it should be on the list. You're here for the money or because you're family is here. It's only great if you have low expectations of enjoyment.
Doesn't bother me. My situation got a whole lot better since I came here. It's way better than Montréal.

In Canada are there people who can only speak French and people who only speak English?

Yes and those individuals all live in Québec for the most part.

rObit

Banned
Salazar said:
Australian frogs are cool.

Cane toads are fucked-up, but more a threat to wildlife than to humans. And, in turn, humans are an implacable threat to cane toads: cars, cricket bats, golf clubs. The culture of cane-toad extermination was pretty goddamn strong when, I suppose, most of AUS-GAF were growing up.

Sounds like fun to me :p

My Env. Science professor mentioned them the other day and I found it pretty interesting. He painted a darker picture than what you describe though, so it's cool to get some clarification. I didn't know they'd been a problem for the past couple of decades, I was under the impression that it was a recent thing.

BloodySinner said:
Yes and those individuals all live in Québec for the most part.

It seems rather silly that there are people of the same nationality, probably living in the same vicinity who are unable to communicate with one another :/

It seems rather silly that there are people of the same nationality, probably living in the same vicinity who are unable to communicate with one another :/

Especially with the known fact that the official languages of the country are both English and French. Pretty dumb.

Aselith

Tabris said:
This is the dumbest comment I've read this week on GAF.

I'd also like to point out that it's pretty racist because it assumes that any nice city would be mostly white as he obviously didn't research before making the comment.

Meadows

Banned
Aselith said:
I'd also like to point out that it's pretty racist because it assumes that any nice city would be mostly white as he obviously didn't research before making the comment.

his comment was uneducated, your comment is absurd. I think it's a tie for worst reply of the week

Aselith

Meadows said:
his comment was uneducated, your comment is absurd. I think it's a tie for worst reply of the week

Well, let's just posit this. If there was a big contest to figure out what the best neighborhoods in your area are, everyone votes and the results are read off then someone stands up and without knowing anything about the areas yells, "All white of course!" His assumption is that a. everyone else is racist and will only vote for white neighborhoods and b. no non-white neighborhood could ever be a "nice" one.

In both cases, the one yelling is the one with the racist line of thought. Ignorance plays a large part in racism.

Tabris said:
Woot! I live in the best city in the world :) Only in Vancouver can you have views like this from your living room.

Only in Vancouver
and every other city in the Pacific Northwest

ToxicAdam said:
I would rather live in Honolulu or San Diego than all the major Canadian cities (except Vancouver).

My man.

Tabris

Pickles the Firecat said:
Only in Vancouver
and every other city in the Pacific Northwest

Find me one with stretching snow capped mountains, modern cityscape and blue oceans. Vancouver is unique in that trifecta for North American cities.

Tabris said:
Find me one with stretching snow capped mountains, cityscape and blue oceans.
Here you go
Vinyl-banners-anchorage.jpg

It's norther and wester to boot!

rObit

Banned
Pickles the Firecat said:
Can I sub ocean with Lake Union? Because seriously, this is the exact same view in every Pacific Northwest city.

http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/seattle/seattle_photos/Seattle-Lake-Union_01tfk.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Lets just all agree that the Pacific NW fuckin' rules.

[spoiler]WA FTW[/spoiler]

Zinga

Banned
Don't know why Sydney is in the Top 10 when housing prices are ridiculous, the cost of living compared to the United States is unbelievable and our infrastructure is just plain awful, I love my hometown but every time I go to Brisbane or Melbourne I always marvel how better their infrastructure is than ours! can't wait to give Labor the boot at the elections.

Salazar

Zinga said:
every time I go to Brisbane or Melbourne I always marvel how better their infrastructure is than ours! can't wait to give Labor the boot at the elections.

So awesome that our buses are spelled BUZ.

Also, regarding Melbourne, hook turns must knock a few points off.

santouras

Salazar said:
So awesome that our buses are spelled BUZ.

Also, regarding Melbourne, hook turns must knock a few points off.
it does not require much logic to work out how to use a hookturn, or also the benefits of them. You'd rather idiotic drivers getting collected by trams cause they don't look over their right shoulder when they make a turn?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
PumpkinPie said:
yeah it sure is a nightmare alright lol

I like how you've obviously just discovered "Canada".

The EU must be your idea of hell on earth.

Salazar said:
I reckon Hobart should have beaten Badelaide. Hobart's pretty sweet.

I love Tassie, but the "cities" feel like the size of a suburb in Sydney. So tiny. Launceston is pretty badarse though, how many cities lie within a valley formed by volcanic and glacial forces?

Zinga said:
Don't know why Sydney is in the Top 10 when housing prices are ridiculous, the cost of living compared to the United States is unbelievable and our infrastructure is just plain awful, I love my hometown but every time I go to Brisbane or Melbourne I always marvel how better their infrastructure is than ours! can't wait to give Labor the boot at the elections.

What? Knee deep in muddy water?

Too soon?

Salazar

santouras said:
it does not require much logic to work out how to use a hookturn, or also the benefits of them.

I don't drive. I'm either a passenger or a pedestrian, and hook-turns bug me.

The Storyteller said:
I love Tassie, but the "cities" feel like the size of a suburb in Sydney. So tiny. Launceston is pretty badarse though, how many cities lie within a valley formed by volcanic and glacial forces?

Launceston needs some more fucking restaurants.

I don't think an American city could get in the top 10 without universal health care and more workers rights... I'm no Commie but disparity between rich and poor will fuck you over if you want to get on a top 10 list like this.

panda21

i want to see the whole list, where is?

edit:also looks like the forgot to deduct the points from canada for milk containment style

santouras

Delightful Oonsk said:
Sounds like fun to me :p

My Env. Science professor mentioned them the other day and I found it pretty interesting. He painted a darker picture than what you describe though, so it's cool to get some clarification. I didn't know they'd been a problem for the past couple of decades, I was under the impression that it was a recent thing.
Cane Toads have been a problem in australia for quite a long time, but it has only been in the last couple of decades that their spread has increased from far north queensland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

They are finding those mongrels in Western Australia these days....

esbern

so does a city have to have unbearable winters to be in the top 10 or something? sure, vancover is gorgeous in the summer but i'll take a city in the southern us over it any day.

Yoshiya

esbern said:
so does a city have to have unbearable winters to be in the top 10 or something? sure, vancover is gorgeous in the summer but i'll take a city in the southern us over it any day.
4 Australian cities.

Uhh..... trollface.jpg?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
esbern said:
If Vancouver has unbearable winters (mostly rain, almost never snow), then the southern US has unbearable summers.

Yoshiya

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Brrrrrrrrrr its cold in here!
Even as a resident of the place the rest of the country regards as an antarctic hellhole, I can attest that Australia's climate is extremely palatable compared with much of the rest of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom