• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst spoiler moment ever?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
WHats everyones most ruinous spoiler? I'd have to say that mine was back in high school when I was playing Final Fantasy 7. I was so anxious to keep playing it that one day I was at school talking to my friend about it. I was like "So is there anything I should get before this next boss?" He wasn't sure where I was at... the convo was like this:

Me: "So did I miss any cool materia that you can think of?"
Him: "Where are you at?"
Me: "Oh I just am about to fight such and such boss...."
Him: "*blank stare* Did Aeris die yet?"
Me: "WHAT?!"
Him: "Huh? Oh. Uh... nothing. Forget I said anything. I've gotta go to class."

I was pissed for the rest of the day about that shit, haha.

Anyone else have some awful spoiler stories to tell?

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Gamespot posted an unmarked reader review of FF7 featuring the Aeris spoilers before the US release. I think I was 14 at the time, and vented by flaming every staffer's e-mail address I could find. Rather than blowing off my nasty e-mails, a few of them wrote back personally and were very cool, apologizing for the mistake...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A San Francisco Chronicle review of Shamalangadingdong's The Village, where their fucking idiot reviewer revealed the twist just to be a cock. I think it was Mick LaSalle. I was fuckin FURIOUS.

Drexon

Banned
MGS2, I had only seen the 1st part on the boat, with snake when I read a mag wich showed pictures of someone called 'Raiden'. Ofcourse I didn't stop there, I had to read a couple of lines in to find out you play as him the better part of the game. 5#%¤&¤&¤.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, actually FFVII spoiled itself on the backcover with a neat picture of Aeris lying dead (or at least there she was on the PAL version)... way to go Square's marketing dep!

Anyways, mine was Planet of the Apes's theatrical poster! :lol

Taichu

Someone told me Shiek was actually Zelda before I found out on my own (Ocarina of Time). At least I was surprised that Tetra was Zelda... because I didn't expect Nintendo to do something like that again. :lol

I also knew about Aeris getting killed before I played FFVII. =( I was still shocked though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
whytemyke said:
WHats everyones most ruinous spoiler? I'd have to say that mine was back in high school when I was playing Final Fantasy 7. I was so anxious to keep playing it that one day I was at school talking to my friend about it. I was like "So is there anything I should get before this next boss?" He wasn't sure where I was at... the convo was like this:

Me: "So did I miss any cool materia that you can think of?"
Him: "Where are you at?"
Me: "Oh I just am about to fight such and such boss...."
Him: "*blank stare* Did Aeris die yet?"
Me: "WHAT?!"
Him: "Huh? Oh. Uh... nothing. Forget I said anything. I've gotta go to class."

I was pissed for the rest of the day about that shit, haha.

Anyone else have some awful spoiler stories to tell?

AERIS DIES?!

Dash Kappei

Taichu said:
At least I was surprised that Tetra was Zelda. .

Yeah, and you know what?
Thanks to NOE: TETRA -----> DAZEL in TWW's PAL localization.

Try to imagine what an *incredible* surprise to find out the truth, like... 30sec after being introduced to her character, woohoo! :lol

Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, and you know what?

Try to imagine what an *incredible* surprise to find out the truth, like... 30sec after being introduced to her character, woohoo! :lol

?

Master

Banned
I haven't read a single post in this thread because I just KNOW somebody will mention something about a game I haven't yet played... (or am currently playing)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, and you know what?

Tetra is called Dazel in the Euro version of Wind Waker? WHAT THE FUH?

Mejilan

I get the feeling that the worst spoiler moment for a lot of people is going to be this thread... :lol

Tarazet

Master said:
I haven't read a single post in this thread because I just KNOW somebody will mention something about a game I haven't yet played... (or am currently playing)

I've read every post, because it doesn't make a difference to me either way.. few plot twists really surprise me anymore, so I don't care if I find out about them ahead of time.

Mejilan

Red Scarlet said:
Speaking of..what happened to DW4 Meji?

Thinking of playing it right now. Either that, or Riviera, or Meteos. Tough call.

That said, I did respond to your query in my fun little DWIV thread, not sure if you've seen it.

_Angelus_

Banned
Playing Buffy Chaos Bleeds when I had only seen 3 seasons of the show last year.

Without saying anything about it to those who haven't seen season 5-the spoiler itself eludes to something that happens to Buffy's family during season 5. Godamn I hated finding out this spoiler,it was both shocking and a let down to find out the spoiler without having seen the events take place episode by episode.

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, and you know what?

radioheadrule83 said:

DAZEL

D A Z E L ---> Z E L D A

Are we clear? :lol

Teddman

I found out the end of Breakdown on this forum by accident... I was like, "Whoa that's a cool twist... Ah man, I would have like to play that shit!"

fugimax

Not so much a spoiler for me, but I spoiled something for a lot of people..

I was chatting in an IRC channel I hang out in and it was a few weeks or a month after FF8 came out. I played it for about 2 hours, got bored, never returned to it. Anyways...one night I was just being funny and was messing with some people about spoiling the game -- knowing that they all knew more about the game then I did. Just to be funny though, I said something like "LEO DIES AT THE END!!!1!" which someone who had completed the game said "You dick. Why did you just do that?" I was all confused until I realized I just made a really good guess..

Shows how inventive FF storylines are these days though, I guess.

(Note: I still haven't played the game...so from what I understand he does die, but maybe people were just fucking with me...but I'm pretty sure they weren't)

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, and you know what?

Actually, it might be that the fact occured only in the italian version.
I'm not sure, since I beated the game when it came out in USA, then I bought it again once it became available in Italy (PAL). Halfway through the game tough (2nd playthrough), since I was hatin' the localization, I switched back to english, but at that point she was Dazel/Tetra no more :lol

koam

I was pissed off at E3 2005 when some jackass that worked for nintendo basically told the guy next to me "No ganon is not in this game, the last boss is the guy who guides link as a wolf"

mattx5

koam said:
I was pissed off at E3 2005 when some jackass that worked for nintendo basically told the guy next to me "No ganon is not in this game, the last boss is the guy who guides link as a wolf"

I guess he would know best :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Stinkles said:
A San Francisco Chronicle review of Shamalangadingdong's The Village, where their fucking idiot reviewer revealed the twist just to be a cock. I think it was Mick LaSalle. I was fuckin FURIOUS.

That could be close to mine as well, the GAF hate for that flick was really strong and I believed it and spoiled myself. saw it the other day, very good, very scary movie. Beat the ass off signs I thought.

oh and somebody wrecked usual suspects for me, that's pretty bad.

Dash Kappei

koam said:
I was pissed off at E3 2005

What the fuck, weren't we supposed to avoid game/movies *to come*?!
At least that's what I tought... ok, shit happens, I've already read... damn. :-/

silver

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Actually, it might be that the fact occured only in the italian version.
I'm not sure, since I beated the game when it came out in USA, then I bought it again once it became available in Italy (PAL). Halfway through the game tough (2nd playthrough), since I was hatin' the localization, I switched back to english, but at that point she was Dazel/Tetra no more :lol

Yep, it's only for the localized version. Tetra is Tetra in the English PAL version.

MC Safety

I ruined KOTOR I for people writing about KOTOR II.

After a few hundred hate mails, I learned there is no statute of limitations on secrets in movies and games. By the way, the chick in "The Crying Game" is a ...

^^^

Funny you mentioned that. Some fucker on this board ruined the KOTOR twist for me. I was chugging along at about 12 hours, and I saw a thread that said "Man KOTOR rocks" or something along those lines so I clicked in, and the idiot revealed the twist a few lines down without spoiler tags, or a spoiler warning in the thread title.

I was pretty pissed about it and actually lost the motivation to finish KOTOR after that.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I honestly have never cared if anyone spoiled a book, movie, or game for me.

At worst, it lessens the shock of surprise but doesn't kill any motivation I have to experience it for myself.
At best, it saves me hours of my life so that I don't have to spend more time to reach the same conclusions.

Pimpwerx

LOL! Lots of people had a shitfit when Fishie broke the MGS2 thing. :lol Spoilers don't bother me in the least. Usually, I totally forget them anyway. But even if I remember them, it's the experience that gets me more than the suprise. Even if I know what's coming, if it's a big moment, it still has the same impact. It's like Blair Witch. I knew it was fake and everything before I ever went to see the movie, but I still let myself get immersed in it, and was still genuinely scared the first time I saw it. I'm just cool like that. PEACE.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My brother spoiling The Sorrow in MGS3
Lucky for me, he did, or else I would've gone gung-ho killing everything that got in my way! Now I've learned to become such a sharp-shoot with the tranquilizer gun
, or some idiot on an FF message board making a topic "HOW DO I REVIVE AERITH??" back before the US version came out. I've read some MGS reviews that made mention of Raiden and heard people complaining of Raiden, but I had NO idea you'd be playing as him for the whole game.

ElyrionX

I knew I shouldn't have clicked that damn thread in the KOTOR forums on GameFAQs. But I thought to myself, "How huge can the spoiler be anyway?". And the biggest damn twist in a videogame ever got spoiled for me just like that. Never again........

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
When I heard the final level of Halo 2 was that covenant dude as a boss. I was like "WTF, that's some dumb shit, there's no way it'd just end there." I wish I was wrong.

Zeo

Banned
Angelus said:
Playing Buffy Chaos Bleeds when I had only seen 3 seasons of the show last year.

Without saying anything about it to those who haven't seen season 5-the spoiler itself eludes to something that happens to Buffy's family during season 5. Godamn I hated finding out this spoiler,it was both shocking and a let down to find out the spoiler without having seen the events take place episode by episode.

Without a doubt one of the most well written and emotional episodes of TV I've EVER seen (the one that deals with
Buffy's mom dying
).

But uh, on topic, someone ruined the last couple bosses of MGS3 for me. :\

bjork

Most of my spoiler moments came from my dad enlisting my help in games he was playing.

"Well, you fight this guy and this guy, then these ninja fucks come out, and the girl dies, and"

and I am like SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

I don't mind someone borrowing my games before I play them, but don't ruin them for me, shit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think I've got a winner here....

I'm going to see Terminator 2 with a friend way back when it first came to theaters. We're at the part in the Hospital where Sara Connor is. my friend, who had seen it already lean over and tells me..

"Watch this, the T-1000 is about to pop out of the floor"

I was pissed.

Sagitario

Stinkles said:

The same thing happened to me with The Others, the worst thing was that the article wasn't about the movie but politics...

Top Bottom