• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you rather not hear about our Father's Day offers?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Got this in my email this morning and it struck me as weird. Got one a few months ago for Mother's day too:

6RdKlbG.png

xCNIFsy.png

What if I got my teeth kicked in on Halloween or if I hate christianity? Where's the warning around Christmastime?

Just seems strange that a holiday celebrating a parent would be considered a "sensitive time". Yes, I'm aware of every single reason why a grieving individual might be stirred up -- bad memories and/or ongoing strife with Mom or Dad or maybe a vacant spot where that parent never was -- but I've never before received any holiday warnings like this. I'm more weirded out than comforted or reassured.

Wheew, the first year without Dad has really been a hard time. Glad that I didn't receive any Telegraph subscription offers on Father's Day. That helped me get through it.

It's The Telegraph tho so maybe it's a UK thing.

DKehoe

I got one of those recently from a supermarket (since you’re also from the U.K. I’ll mention that it was Asda). My Dad died in January and I hadn’t really given any thought to Father’s Day until I saw it. But to be honest I did appreciate it and opted out. Not that it would send me over the edge or anything but if you’re giving me the choice I’d rather not have the reminders

StormCell

Got this in my email this morning and it struck me as weird. Got one a few months ago for Mother's day too:

6RdKlbG.png

xCNIFsy.png

What if I got my teeth kicked in on Halloween or if I hate christianity? Where's the warning around Christmastime?

Just seems strange that a holiday celebrating a parent would be considered a "sensitive time". Yes, I'm aware of every single reason why a grieving individual might be stirred up -- bad memories and/or ongoing strife with Mom or Dad or maybe a vacant spot where that parent never was -- but I've never before received any holiday warnings like this. I'm more weirded out than comforted or reassured.

Wheew, the first year without Dad has really been a hard time. Glad that I didn't receive any Telegraph subscription offers on Father's Day. That helped me get through it.

It's The Telegraph tho so maybe it's a UK thing.

I've known some women to flat out hate all mention of mother's day. No, it's not because of a conflict with their mother or grieving the loss of a mother. It's because it's a hard reminder that they, themselves, have not become a mom yet even though they're trying.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I bet that if you opt out they collect the signal and use it to enhance the targeted advertising profile they have about you. They won’t send you mail of the Father’s Day campaign, but they’ll double down on Christmas presents

“Be the Father you never had. Take advantage of our newest deals on toys”

Last edited:
Top Bottom