• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still be on GAF if there were no console wars?

Would the forum be better off?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There's another account suicide thread (as an april fools joke.... tbh i did it way better. his 'joke acc suicide' thread is actually vanilla as fuck https://www.neogaf.com/threads/teh-gaf-moderation-is-byassed.1644905/) so as usual there's a usually counter thread from me, but it isn't going to be some dumbass stunt that puts my account at risk.

This console war shit for as cancerous and annoying as it can be.... it's pretty funny sometimes. And sometimes that's really all you need to stay on a forum like this. Personally I've sort of grown out of it these days and ignore the threads which could promote some inflammatory console war trash but I can see the appeal for it.

Would you leave if the no console warring rule were hard enforced? any comment insulting any side whether that be Xbox, Playstation, PC, Nintendo, and even Sega gets immediately banned and hit with a warning? Would the forum be better off with such a rule?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yes. Console wars are the worst. We could have much better and deeper discussion about so many gaming topics without idiots derailing threads.
a bit weird but could you edit the poll to remove the "would you still be on GAF if there were a no console warring role"

I was going to ask a poll that'd address 2 questions but then i decided to keep it simpler... but i forgot to delete the first question so now i'm confused on the results, lol

Thanks man!

Last edited:

killatopak

I would but I wouldn’t say I didn’t enjoy it.

It’s really an exercise on the brain to formulate arguments and counter arguments. Besides it’s also a learning experience. I wouldn’t know so much about the stuff in gaming if it wasn’t for console wars. In a way, it gave a positive experience despite being a negative action.

Humdinger

Of course! I'm here to talk about games. The console war stuff is just a sideshow.

Btw, the thread title asks one question, but then the poll asks another, and my answer to the first is opposite the second. So it's a little confusing for us April fools, especially those who just got up.

Flutta

Banned
Sure, BUT console wars brings traffic to this site and many others. There’s money to be made on fanboys and also keep forums like this one alive let’s not pretend otherwise. If console warriors or any warriors for that matter had absoluty zero benefit they all would be banned by now.

What i like about GAF is that they got the sweet spot on how much a person is allowed to console war. Balance in anything is always a good route to take.

Don’t at me 🤣

Kev Kev

There are more threads about people freaking out about console wars than console warring itself.
giphy.gif

On topic, yes the forum would be much better off. I'd love for the culture here to be deep, intelligent discussions of games, without insults, trolls, hyperbole and disingenuous contrarians. The mod team does a good job here and it's still the best forum to post on, but there are always going be new idiots out there that want to watch things burn.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I would but I wouldn’t say I didn’t enjoy it.

It’s really an exercise on the brain to formulate arguments and counter arguments. Besides it’s also a learning experience. I wouldn’t know so much about the stuff in gaming if it wasn’t for console wars. In a way, it gave a positive experience despite being a negative action.

There certainly is some truth to that. Back in the system wars days the warriors really did their research trying to substantiate the ultimate comebacks. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EruditeHobo

Don't really give a shit about console wars, but I do give a shit about people debating differences of opinion... which sometimes applies to the general idea of "console warring".

Console warring just happens to be about the dumbest, least-interesting version of debate on here. So if it were gone, I'd still be around for sure.

I came from the shit hole known as System Wars on Gamespot, so as you can imagine I'm really tired of the pettiness. If the longtime residents here like this behavior, guess that's what we'll have to put up with. I can play along.

Last edited:

Metnut

There aren’t really any console wars here. One platform hasn’t had a AAA exclusive in years. It’s more of a massacre. I just enjoy the lols and talking about games, especially cyberpunk and Harry Potter.

amigastar

This place is peaceful, compared to the old days on Gametrailers this place has nothing going on with console wars.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
There used to be people who were involved in the industry dropping by to say hi and tease a few things. There we iniders or groups (think CBOAT) who would get us hyped AF by leaking things.

Because of the console wars most of these people don't really post here. Anything they say is met with garbage replies and accusations from all sides and I can fully see it not being worth it.

Fbh

Yes.
But also I don't think it's that big of an issue. Maybe it's because of the types of threads that I enter but I don't see THAT much console warring.

I'll have to agree with what Danjin44 Danjin44 often says, too many people here obsess over graphics. So many threads about various games ultimately devolve into discussions about graphics

Last edited:
Yeah I'd definitely still be here. A few times I've thought about leaving this place because of how shitty it is due to the constant console wars. You have to suck Sonys dick to get by on here. No doubt I'll be getting permanently banned soon because I'm a console warrior/troll apparently because I don't always have something positive to say about Sony. I don't give a shit about Playstation or Xbox. Sorry If I'm not gonna defend either of them. I buy platforms that has games I want to play and that is PC/Nintendo. I've had Playstation/Xbox consoles in the past and would happily buy either one again. I'll go where the games are.

And if you think I'm a Microsoft fanboy...I mean just look at my username/avatar. Two of my favourite games of all time are Bloodborne and Persona 5 (which was a PS exclusive for years).

Last edited:
What console wars ?
Console wars" is a term used to describe the competition between video game console manufacturers for dominance in the market. Typically, this term refers to the rivalry between the major players in the industry, such as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, as they release new gaming hardware and software.

The term "console wars" has been used for decades and has become a common part of the gaming lexicon. The intensity of the competition between console manufacturers can often lead to heated debates and passionate arguments among gamers, with each side defending their preferred console.

Console wars can be seen as a positive thing for gamers, as it drives innovation and competition, which can lead to better products and more options for consumers. However, it can also create a toxic atmosphere among gamers, with some individuals attacking others for their choice of console or engaging in online harassment.

Overall, while console wars can be a divisive topic, they remain an important part of the gaming industry and the culture surrounding it

Enjoyment of the hobby is what brings me here. Console warring, while occasionally entertaining, is mostly an eyerolling affair that's more than not just embarrassing to read. It also helps that I'm more personally invested in having fun in what I play rather than feeling a need to defend that choice to anyone.

Spitfire098

Console war drives clicks though and more traffic. It's the whole reason why news outlets editorialize their headlines to subtly promote console wars. Even era allows it, if you don't push it to hard.

Just don't be a weirdo and leave multi paragraph responses when you are warring.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Console wars" is a term used to describe the competition between video game console manufacturers for dominance in the market. Typically, this term refers to the rivalry between the major players in the industry, such as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, as they release new gaming hardware and software.

The term "console wars" has been used for decades and has become a common part of the gaming lexicon. The intensity of the competition between console manufacturers can often lead to heated debates and passionate arguments among gamers, with each side defending their preferred console.

Console wars can be seen as a positive thing for gamers, as it drives innovation and competition, which can lead to better products and more options for consumers. However, it can also create a toxic atmosphere among gamers, with some individuals attacking others for their choice of console or engaging in online harassment.

Overall, while console wars can be a divisive topic, they remain an important part of the gaming industry and the culture surrounding it
thanks for the response chatgpt

Top Bottom