• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you support a discless portable or super slim X1/PS4?

I was talking to a buddy about this today. We know Microsoft and Sony are taking it one step further from the PS3/360 and really trying to cater to different audiences this generation. My buddy thinks they should take it one step further and introduce a tablet SKU to take your games on the go (like switch/gamevice). I think they should take it one step further and introduce a discless version for a cheaper price (like apple/fire/android tv). We both think these should come at the end of the life of the console, i.e. between now and when they launch PS5, next xbox. It should support major features (psplus/now, PSN, XBL, games with gold) and all games.

Right now we know they are going after the hardcore gamer with Pro and Scorpio (with Pro controller) while keeping a SKU for regular gamers on a budget. It seems like both companies are more comfortable releasing mid generation machines with different specs. They seem to be following Apple and Android’s model and mudding the generational aspect of consoles. That means the games are now scalable on consoles; that is, Scorpio/PS4 Pro can scale up games up to 4K and introduce HDR, up fps, higher res textures, etc whereas the regular model provides lower framerates/texture models, etc.

All PS4/X1 games are available on their respective online stores, making it feasible to ditch the optical disc drive for those who 1) Have chosen to go download only and 2) want a smaller device with a cheaper entry point or 3) Want to play their PS4/X1 games on the go. Sony and MS have recently been doing steam like sales where you can get AAA games for under 10 bucks. People are much more comfortable with a DL only console gaming machine today than they were even 2 years ago. A lot of people have chosen to go "digital only" this generation, so one could easily justify the existence of such a SKU.

A DL only “super slim” has been talked about for the Xbox 360 many years ago (I can’t find the link except for some message boards talking about it, IIRC it was circa 2012/13, DL only, $99). Microsoft has thought about it. Sony has thought and half assed about it twice with PSP Go and Vita TV. What would ideally happen is, we would get the base PS4/ X1 model specs (i.e. not Pro or Scorpio) at a mini size with no disc drive. It would provide an entry level, low energy hogging machine for casual users (maybe someone who just wants to play Madden, Fifa, COD, or GTA) and for people who want to go all digital. How small it would be depends if they go with a smaller internal storage (like in Apple TV) or the regular HDD found on consoles, the latter would be better IMO due to games’ sizes. It would presumably allow for a USB connection to an external HDD. Sony half assed it and MS scrapped its plans, but I do think there’s a legit market for such a machine, if the entry level is low enough (i.e. $149 or below) and you can find AAA DL games for cheap prices. It would complement MS and Sony’s strategy to cater to your regular and hardcore gamer by trying to reach out to the cheapass and casual gamer.

On the “portable” front, it’s a little more complicated as I don’t even know if the tech is there today to provide such a thing, but if it’s not, it will be there sometime in the future. Looking at this thread, Sony has a patent for a mobile like device with detachable controllers like gamevice or nintendo switch. The very successful launch of the NSwitch probably turned some heads as well. I think one of the main complaints I heard about the switch is that it’s way less powerful than XB1 and PS4, systems that came out nearly 4 years ago. Less ram, less flops, etc. I actually read its flops performance (docked or undocked) is closer to PS3/360 than PS4/XB1, though admittedly I don’t know if that’s really true, I just know it’s less powerful than other 8th gen consoles. Maybe concessions were made for better battery life and a cheaper price. Sony/MS would have to come out with a more powerful tablet to play all PS4/X1 games and it wouldn’t be cheap. The games would also possibly have to scale back to 720p or 900p. It would require at least what the latest high end tablets offer + more ram (4-6+GBs LPDDR4 of RAM, maybe even the whole 8? IDK) and a more powerful GPU. OS functionality would be more limited, and I am guessing it would cost what a high end tablet costs today, i.e. five hundred and ninety nine dollars or more. Storage would have to be flash/NAND and presumably with a MicroSD/SD slot for extra storage. I have a hard time thinking of a market beyond a niche one for this, but I thought the same for the switch and it is proving me wrong. I think the way to do this – and to help justify the large cost – would be to have an Android tablet with a PS4 app that would launch the PS4 OS for the games or a Windows tablet that would pay the XB1 games. It would definitely cater to high end gamers and/or people who want a tablet where they could also play the latest games.

Both of those, especially the mobile one, would have refreshes every year or two due to the nature of that market.

TLDR: Would you support/want a mini sized download only X1/PS4? Would you support/want a tablet like device with detachable joysticks PS4/XB1? I personally would support the former as I don't play as much as I used to and a cheaper/DL only version would suit me perfectly. I am iffy on the latter, it would depend on how they implement it.

I have 2 discs for PS4 (funnily enough, both are used copies of games - Infamous: SS and Uncharted 4) and about 25 digital titles. I honestly cannot remember the last time I put physical media into my PC to play a game (which is still my main platform to play games on, and digital distribution is kinda the only way I acquire games on that platform).

I would personally support it because disc drives do take up space and can be real noisy, but considering most of the world still lives with bandwidth caps or terrible internet speeds, it would only appeal to a limited sub-set of the audience, and you probably don't want to spend R&D and manufacturing money on a SKU specific to a small subset of users.

Regarding a portable PS4/XB1? In terms of novelty, it would be really cool, but I don't really take my games anywhere outside of home, hell, I even play my portables at home mostly, so it doesn't really give any special benefit to how I play games. In all honesty, It's been kinda neat using Remote Play on my Vita at home, able to play Persona 5 in bed.

RMI

Banned
optical drive has to be one of the cheaper components of the hardware, so i doubt they could get the price down that much.

I don't think I would buy one of these. Physical discounts are just too good right now. It's not uncommon for me to get new on disc games for ~$40.

Portable.... probably. I would like something like a Switch from Sony. Vita TV was such a great idea but man did they ever botch the implementation.

Gator86

Handhelds are pointless, to me, and I still rent games heavily so both of those options are entirely unappealing.

If either console manufacturer could fit their current machine into a Switch-style portable with minimal compromises, they'd get me to buy every multiplatform game for the foreseeable future off their digital storefront. I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

I've already gone all digital on PS4. Mostly because I have no self control and trade in games and regret later or just lose the disc. Portable would be great as a companion to the main console similar to Switch.

Digital only for their games isn't feasible in my area and I already have a working PS4, that and that type of tech would be super expensive.

LordOfChaos

Absolutely. Nearly all digital, sometimes I lament how much space the disk drive takes up. Same as the move to diskless laptops.

Granted it wouldn't be for everyone, I'm spoiled with 300/100 down/up, but the disk SKUs would still stay around no doubt

I just wish there was an easy way to transfer my licenses from disc to download. Maybe Sony could let you mail in your disc and they email you a download code?

It's also just such an anti-consumer thing to erase the used games market, but downloads are so much more convienent and portable, less expensive hard drive space vs an optical disc reader

It's a tough transition either way, and one day the PS6 might be all downloads

playXray

Considering I have had a PS4 since launch and never bought a PS4 disc, a driveless PS4 would be great for me if it meant I saved some cash.

All my media is on Plex/Amazon Prime so no need for blu-rays either.

Mikey Jr.

Would I personally support it?

No.

Not that I have anything against it, but I don't want to be in a position when I'm at a game store, and I find a really really cheap game that I've been dying to play but forgot about, but I can't because its on a disc.

farisr

Support as in "buy?" No. I try to buy physical whenever possible. I hope a digital only future never happens if I'm not able to have the same kind of control over the digital license as I am on a physical copy.

Support as in "I support the idea/it would be nice for it to be an option for folks who would want one." Sure.

Vashetti

Banned
I just wish there was an easy way to transfer my licenses from disc to download. Maybe Sony could let you mail in your disc and they email you a download code?

It's also just such an anti-consumer thing to erase the used games market, but downloads are so much more convienent and portable, less expensive hard drive space vs an optical disc reader

It's a tough transition either way, and one day the PS6 might be all downloads

THIS.

I'd love a disc-to-digital programme.

THIS.

I'd love a disc-to-digital programme.

I feel like Sony has at least some basic idea on how they could implement it, considering they had that UMD-to-digital conversion process when they rolled out the PSP Go. Would be nice if they had something similar for those interested.

Dr. Worm

Banned
r34-&

Portable is a nice idea but I'd honestly never buy a new system just to play games portably when I can already play them through another means. Also, portable devices work best with a certain type of game which supports play in quick bursts which isn't always compatible with the type of games designed for home systems.

MadeULook

I would. I don't really buy games physically anymore and would welcome a cheaper PS4 or X1 with no disc drive attached. I'm fact, I don't think I've bought a single physical game since the start of the current gen.

I'd be down for a portable option like the Switch or a companion hardware. I don't see why that wouldn't be a good idea.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't support digital only, so no.

Seriously, especially since Sony does not support selling games or even refunds, i have no reason to support such a thing.

gamz

How does storage work feasibly when it's entirely portable?

With games as large as they are, what storage medium is feasible in a small form factor for a cheap price? Switch at least has carts, so you don't need to rely on SD cards.

You're right! The dream is dead.

jdmonmou

Since you said this is something they should do at the end of the life cycle... Sony would be wise to utilize PS Now instead of coming out with a new device. Microsoft could just put their games on the Windows Store and come out with a gaming surface tablet. They could also use Azure for cloud gaming to compete with PS Now.

I don't support getting rid of physical media but I would like a portable PS4. That being said you can't do that without ditching discs, storage would also be way too expensive and unfeasible for the size of PS4 games

gamz

Since you said this is something they should do at the end of the life cycle... Sony would be wise to utilize PS Now instead of coming out with a new device. Microsoft could just put their games on the Windows Store and come out with a gaming surface tablet. They could also use Azure for cloud gaming to compete with PS Now.

They've been working on that forever. I remember like 2-3 years ago they were talking about streaming Halo games on your phone.

Rolf NB

PS4 slim is far, far away from reaching portable-friendly thermals anytime soon. So we'll just scratch the portable PS4 idea up front.

It's 250$ now, potentially feasible at 200$ in the foreseeable future. Removing the optical drive, while feasible, doesn't save much. Removing the HDD is hogwash, as you're still going to need one, and having an internal drive, or at least an internal bay for a drive, is far preferable to basically requiring the purchase of a USB harddrive to play a couple full-sized games.

I think the PS4 slim SKU with HDD and optical is fine as it is, and both as mass-market and consumer friendly as it can be. Reaching decent volume on that SKU probably helps more with the cost than removing the optical drive for a new network-only vanity SKU at this point.

I'd rather see a modestly upgraded but fully BC followup to the Vita.

Mikey Jr.

How does storage work feasibly when it's entirely portable?

With games as large as they are, what storage medium is feasible in a small form factor for a cheap price? Switch at least has carts, so you don't need to rely on SD cards.

Delete games when your done with them?

Gestault

Probably not for any reasonable price. Like, it would need to be both cheap and tiny/sleek, to the point I don't think the cost would ever match up. I like the look of the current systems, and I would get a lot less out of the market if I was only buying from the primary digital marketplaces.

Hell, my only complaint between the two of them physically is the plastic overhang on the PS4 ports in the back because of the slanted design. That's downright nitpicking.

Fbh

Not really.

I mean. If you tell me there is a portable PS4 with the same performane as the regular one, the abilit to connect it to my TV when I'm home (like the Switch), at least 200gb of internal storage AND sold at a decent price (No more than like $399) then mabye.
But realistically it's either going to take a hit in performance or is going to be priced way higher.

As for a super slim. Really not interested. I still like Physical media and would see no reason to get this

SGRX

Nope. I was mostly digital at the start of this generation, but Sony's customer service policies and (at the time) questionable security drove me back to physical media on that platform. Plus, although my current ISP doesn't have data caps, I can see this also being an issue going forward.

With Comcast enforcing a 1TB data cap every month, nope.

I'm not a fan of data caps at all, but it's entirely possible to go all digital with a 1TB data cap. I've got 2 Xbox Ones (Base and S), which instead of moving my portable hard drive around, I just download the games separately on both devices, add to that a lot of 4k streaming, and other normal usage and I've never gone over 700GB in a month. In March of this year I setup my One S, and downloaded over 30 games (of various size, many smaller games), my total usage for the month was 610 GB.

In theory, I definitely support the idea of super slim consoles without dedicated disc drives. For my personal needs, I wouldn't buy one though. The wife and I have too many physical movies and I tend to sell my old game consoles to afford new ones. Wouldn't want a disc-free PS4/Xbone as it would mean I'd need a blu-ray player as well.

Paying physical disc prices when I can't resell the product and I have to use/pay for my own bandwidth for the transfer to my machine?

Price games as if they were a rental and then you have my interest. Until that FTFY.

Occam

A portable PS4 with great screen and battery? Yes.
It would basically be a Vita 2.

A discless super slim for home use? No way, that would be idiotic.

gamz

I'm not a fan of data caps at all, but it's entirely possible to go all digital with a 1TB data cap. I've got 2 Xbox Ones (Base and S), which instead of moving my portable hard drive around, I just download the games separately on both devices, add to that a lot of 4k streaming, and other normal usage and I've never gone over 700GB in a month. In March of this year I setup my One S, and downloaded over 30 games (of various size, many smaller games), my total usage for the month was 610 GB.

I've gone over for three straight months, but I stream a ton. They have yet to charge me for the overages but it's coming. At that point I may be forced to bite the bullet and get cable.

Top Bottom