• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow A Link to the Past is amazing

EruditeHobo

The N64 controller is awful, it was bad when I was a kid and as an adult (even though I did figure out the best way to use it via pretending the joystick is a little arcade stick)...

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dude... what's up with your hands? How in the hell is this the best way to use this controller for you? Never heard this before in my life.

This YES example is the way to hold the controller. How is this uncomfortable at all, enough to make you use the stick like an arcade machine?

You see both of those pictures feel like shit, they are both wrong and I'm sure one of those is the intended way but it always felt off even as a kid, the control you get is just not good enough with that controller unless I baby that joystick like an arcade stick...

Playing a 3D N64 game, like Mario or Ocarina, there is only 1 way to play using this controller -- it's the YES option.

Maybe you were a very small kid, with very small hands, or something? I'm fascinated by this... how does the YES version "feel like shit"? Mario 64 is ALL about control, and very specific/subtle inputs. And I literally don't have the imagination to understand how anyone could think it might control better with this esoteric hand position for which you're advocating.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Ehm, I'm not sure about that. Aiming in Turok was noticeably better for me with the Brawler64 and I was having kind of the same issue as this guy with the OG N64 controller.

My N64 is gone for an HDMI mod so I can't test out Sar Fox 64 specifically ATM.

I didn't get a chance to watch this video until just now. Pretty strong impressions, I may have to try this controller. It seems adequate at worst and you get wireless. Given the maintenance issues of the N64 stick and the inconvenience of using an old console or wired controller adapters, this is a fair option. But I'm not convinced it will be better than the real thing for aiming when I try it myself. I have a few reservations from the video such as the condition of the stick of his N64 controller which may well be the same grey controller that came with his dusty console in service since Turok. I have restored mine and applied lube so they will not keep wearing out. Kinda want to recreate this guys experiment now.

MagnesD3

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dude... what's up with your hands? How in the hell is this the best way to use this controller for you? Never heard this before in my life.

This YES example is the way to hold the controller. How is this uncomfortable at all, enough to make you use the stick like an arcade machine?

Playing a 3D N64 game, like Mario or Ocarina, there is only 1 way to play using this controller -- it's the YES option.

Maybe you were a very small kid, with very small hands, or something? I'm fascinated by this... how does the YES version "feel like shit"? Mario 64 is ALL about control, and very specific/subtle inputs. And I literally don't have the imagination to understand how anyone could think it might control better with this esoteric hand position for which you're advocating.
No Ive played games as adult on it that dont have good ports like Diddy Kong Racing for ex. its still just a bad feeling controller, the joystick just doesnt land on the proper area of my thumb to give me the precision I desire, it feels like its slipping away with me. It's pretty simple to understand playing it like an arcade stick give me absolute control and lets my hand not feel cramped (in retrospect this might actually be a really not easy to use position if you dont use an Arcade Stick in any capacity Im aware but I have no clue as Ive never seen anyone else use it this way so I still absolutely recommend just using a GCN controller so it has modern ergonomics)

My hand is a little more on top of the controller FYI so I can hit all the buttons on the left side like L and Start than the picture but I make it work.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah Link to The Past is amazing.
It's a shame Nintendo doesn't do much with 2D Zelda these days. Link's Awakening was fun but it's just a remake (and I admittedly didn't love the art style). It has already been 10 years since Link Between Worlds.

Opinions I guess. When I first played it, I thought the slow underwater movement just made it more realistic, cool and sim-like. Especially with the underwater echo effects. Majora's Mask gives you more options but the games were designed around the options given so both work. If you could swim in OOT (as a Zora or not), the entire dungeon would be designed differently. And it's not like the whole dungeon is underwater...you usually put on the boots to get through some underwater passageway and took them off on the other side. And there might be some switches, enemies or latching points down there to hit with the hookshot. Talking about it in the context of TOTK makes me want to go back and play it. At least you could go underwater at all! lol

If the choice is no underwater (Wind Waker) and super slow underwater (Ocarina of Time) I'm going with the former.

And the thing with underwater in OoT was that it had never been so slow or bereft of mobility in a video game.

Rhazkul

Cool. It's my favorite Zelda game by far (along with Link's Awakening). All the other Zelda games didn't really click for some strange reason, and i tried them all.

Yeah Link to The Past is amazing.
It's a shame Nintendo doesn't do much with 2D Zelda these days. Link's Awakening was fun but it's just a remake (and I admittedly didn't love the art style). It has already been 10 years since Link Between Worlds.
yep. i'd trade a dozen of the recent '2.5 jrps' for a new 2d zelda...

Last edited:

Doczu

The XL screens are ok and the touchscreen menus in OoT are a huge plus. Also, some people don't care about that, but the 3D effect in Zelda is shockingly good.
Yeah the 3D in Ocarina was the first big WOW moment to me. And the updated town graphics (bye bye super low res jpegs) are a welcome addition

MagnesD3

The main reason I don't recommend the 3ds version of Ocariba of Time is because it completely neuters the atmosphere, the original version is way way creepier and has a much darker tone to it than the remake.

Dthomp

Yup, EASILY my favorite Zelda game and it's not even close. I honestly haven't cared for almost any of the 3D Zelda titles, and flat out have hated both attempts to play BOTW so far, I've never been so bored playing a video game in my life and one of 2 games that I play for a chunk and just flat out nope out of without finishing

Ulysses 31

I didn't get a chance to watch this video until just now. Pretty strong impressions, I may have to try this controller. It seems adequate at worst and you get wireless. Given the maintenance issues of the N64 stick and the inconvenience of using an old console or wired controller adapters, this is a fair option. But I'm not convinced it will be better than the real thing for aiming when I try it myself. I have a few reservations from the video such as the condition of the stick of his N64 controller which may well be the same grey controller that came with his dusty console in service since Turok. I have restored mine and applied lube so they will not keep wearing out. Kinda want to recreate this guys experiment now.
There are original N64 controller designs from 3rd parties but with better(non wobbly) analogue sticks for those that want the more authentic play experience.

saintjules

That was a point of clash with Sega fans with Megadrive (Genesis): Megadrive CPU was 16 bit, while SNes one was actually 8 bit. But it had other strong advantages. The whole fight was between graphics, sprites on screen VS speed (Sonic was born right to show that speed of scrolling and such).

Good times.

Top Bottom