• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow A Link to the Past is amazing

BlackTron

My last Zelda was ocarina of time. I feel like i’ve missed out on so many good Zelda games.

Can’t bring myself to buy shitty Nintendo hardware.
Somewhere along the way, we started caring more about what hardware we were using to play than what we were playing.

Did anyway EVER say "I'm missing out on great Nintendo games but I can't bring myself to buy a Game Boy bc shitty Nintendo hardware" just because Game Gear came out?

Synless

A link before time and links awakening are my two favorite Zelda games of all time.

im glad you finally got to enjoy it!

Last edited:

BlackTron

OoT was way too empty in my book.
Did you make it to adult Link? OOT is low on random busy work in an overworld but very dense in classic Zelda puzzle gameplay using items. Basically the inverse of BOTK.

If you get stuck in old Zelda, the game can feel "empty" because you start wanting more busy work so you have something else to do. BOTW/TOTK prevents you from ever getting stuck, just do something else. But are weaker in dungeons. Not saying one is better than the other, TOTK is an amazing achievement, but it's doing something different from old Zelda that doesn't quite invalidate or replace it.

New style is definitely more approachable and has wider appeal. It's more full of stuff, but OOT has other aspects missing in TOTK. So it becomes preference, or what flavor you want that day.

My best Zelda would be a large map full of things to do and side quests, with like 20 old style dungeons. Again, this doesn't invalidate TOTK in any way. It's outstanding.

Markio128

Such an amazing game and immaculately designed. As much as I enjoy the recent Zelda open-world games, I’ll always prefer the more linear Zelda games. I found the older games, like LTTP and OOT more fulfilling in both gameplay and progression..

Holammer

Yes, it's a good game, so was Link's Awakening on the OG Gameboy, at the time anyway.
Now there's a fine remake of LA on the Switch. They should use the engine/experience from that to remake LttP too.

On a personal level I'd rather see a pixel-art remake bring it up to 32-bit style level with more parallax layers, particles and better transparency effects.

Links awakening was like the good version of lttp

My last Zelda was ocarina of time. I feel like i’ve missed out on so many good Zelda games.

Can’t bring myself to buy shitty Nintendo hardware.
I guess the quality of games does not matter to the modern gamer

TexMex

Doesn’t matter since I’m sure you’ll play them all anyway, but the 3D games you mentioned have more in common with LttP than they do BotW. The 3D perspective is where the comparisons pretty much end.

MagnesD3

LttP is very good but definitely overrated, I'm not a big fan of the dark world mechanic usage honestly and while it's dungeons are very solid they have been topped in almost all of the 3d Zelda games.

Out of the 2D ones I've played so far I prefer Links Awakening personally even if I think LttP is slightly better. I really like the carefree mood of that game with all the little references and ultimately where the Tale goes is a unique melancholic feeling.

Also about the 3D ones, they are honestly nothing like BOTW I recommend trying Ocarina of Time N64 version 1st with either a GameCube Controller or a Pro Croller (modern controller), just don't use an N64 controller or play the 3ds version because both are a worse experience.

Last edited:
Good to hear, people way exaggerate how "poorly aged" some classics are. Links Awakening seems like a logical next step, since it's the direct sequel and easily available on Switch in its best form.

I'm not sure if you're willing to get a 3DS, but its version of Ocarina of Time is easily the best.

MikeM

Have you tried looking in a mirror?

The problem might be there.
I have a hard 60fps minimum rule. 30fps is terrible on my LG C1.

Somewhere along the way, we started caring more about what hardware we were using to play than what we were playing.

Hardware is indicative to performance. Sorry I have standards.

Did anyway EVER say "I'm missing out on great Nintendo games but I can't bring myself to buy a Game Boy bc shitty Nintendo hardware" just because Game Gear came out?

Links awakening was like the good version of lttp

I guess the quality of games does not matter to the modern gamer
Nintendo is not the sole maker of quality games.

radewagon

It's okay. For me it's hard to ignore that it has a very limited scope compared to newer Zeldas but it's good for what it is. Having played most classic Zelda games past their prime, I was shocked at how highly people view Link to the Past but not at all surprised with Ocarina's reputation.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

No, just like nobody ever said “I’m buying a GameCube for RE4 even if I have a PS2 because the PS2 port is inferior”.

The problem lies more in your TV than in gaming hardware.
Unfortunately people pay so much for their OLEDs, it’s hard for them to admit this. I know the feeling.

MikeM

No, just like nobody ever said “I’m buying a GameCube for RE4 even if I have a PS2 because the PS2 port is inferior”.

The problem lies more in your TV than in gaming hardware.
Unfortunately people pay so much for their OLEDs, it’s hard for them to admit this. I know the feeling.
The solution is a crt which I certainly do not have room for.

I have a Panasonic ST60 but its wall mounted above a fireplace. No way I can stick a console anywhere near it.

Paulxo87

I remember I saved all my communion money to buy a SNES and link to the past in the second grade. Amazing memories having played through it at such a young age

BlackTron

Hardware is indicative to performance. Sorry I have standards
This is why I still don't have a C1. I want a TV that displays video games well. Not just like the top performing games.

Your standards of performance are like a person who won't read a book unless the pages are on industry leading parchment paper in your preferred size and font. Sounds like a great reading experience but most people are showing up for the actual content of the book. I mean all other things being equal, the game with better graphics wins, but things are seldom equal these days. You would never see me playing a less fun game because it runs better. I have standards too which is why I optimize the setup for the game. For example FPS games on a low latency 144hz monitor with a gaming mouse and Switch games on 46" TV that makes them look good. So I'm playing the good games I actually want instead of letting the format dictate the content.

Trunx81

OP missed to title his thread

LTTP: LttP

Enjoy your play, OP. It’s such a great game, the first I ever saw on SNES and it blew me away with the rain and sound effects in the beginning.

93xfan

Banned
I started with the NES version and loved it. When I played the beginning of this game at a Super Nintendo Mall Tour, I was blown away to OP. The opening was so amazing! The expanded move set, being able to knock soldiers off a cliff and having scrolling screens in a top down Zelda was such a step up. My hype was through the roof for the final release.

So many good memories of playing that and even replaying it. Special shout out to the Lost Woods music when you first enter them and also the credits music.

TLZ

Banned
It's easily one of the games on SNES.
The Wire Reaction GIF

Yeah, I've said for years that LTTP could be released as an indie game right now and it would still be incredibly well received. It's a great game, and you can see its influence everywhere in modern game design.

Pejo

Sincerely one of the best games of all time. Perfectly paced, as OP mentioned. Lots of fun puzzles, satisfying upgrades, innovative (for the time) bosses. Still some of the best Zelda music too.

lachesis

Glad you like the game.

SNES LTTP pretty much set the entire 2D Zelda formula to its perfection in my opinion. Other 2D Zelda games tend to be the variation of the LTTP. It's that good.
3D Zelda - Ocarina of Time would be the best one. I also concur with the 3DS version as it's easier on the modern eyes. However, if you think of BOTW or TOTK being the standard 3D Zelda... you'd be surprised how different it is. Ocarina of Time set the standard (like LTTP) for 3D Zelda games - but BOTW and TOTK are very very different from its original form, almost to the point of it not feeling like older Zelda games.

Not that I am dissing the BOTW or TOTK - I honestly welcome the change because there have been so many iterations of 3D Zelda games that inherited the Ocarina of Time 3D formula. It was high time for them to break and try something new - and they did amazing job with BOTW and TOTK. That kind of freedom isn't found in past 3D Zelda games. However, previous 3D Zelda games are super solid on its own - with rigid but very entertaining formula and structure.

BlackTron

Also about the 3D ones, they are honestly nothing like BOTW I recommend trying Ocarina of Time N64 version 1st with either a GameCube Controller or a Pro Croller (modern controller), just don't use an N64 controller or play the 3ds version because both are a worse experience.

I agree with you about Link's Awakening but I have to offer a differing opinion on how to play OOT. This game is like THE REASON I cannot just have an old Wii/WiiU to cover all old Nintendo stuff. Did you play this game originally on N64? Aiming, mapping items to C buttons and playing the ocarina is ruined on anything but the original. I mean if you want to use Gamecube whatever but the advice to avoid N64 is just strange, it's the definitive controller for this game.

Ulysses 31

Still one of the best Zeldas!

One a sidenote: is my mind playing tricks on me or did one of the dungeons require you to take the boss key from another dungeon? I recall that's how I had to finish one of the dungeons... 👀👀👀

This was with the SNES PAL cartridge version so maybe that go changed in later versions. Temped to verify with my Super NT. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
I will always regret spoiling ALTTP for me by reading hints on magazines and on the clue sheet included with the game. I was a wee lad and I could never understand the entire game in English, but I really spoiled every major puzzle for myself before even getting there. A couple years later I managed to beat Link’s Awakening without any solution, so I could have beaten ALTTP too.

Thinking back, ALTTP was really amazing. The “twist” OP mentions is comparable to the one in Castlevania SOTN for how unexpected it is and for how much more longevity it gives the game. It’s also amazing how the devs hinted at it during the Death Mountain climb to the third light-world dungeon, and with the item you find there, but so many people were still left slack-jawed after beating the sorcerer.

On the negative side, I never really liked how the game looks, and how slow it feels. Link’s Awakening feels much faster, and being able to jump feels really liberating compared to the slowness of ALTTP.

Hard agree on the final sentence in particular. Actions in LA felt more swift, the map design felt less gated, and the Roc's Feather jump added a lot. I don't see why ALBW didn't have it, because it would have helped with the verticality.

One other issue with LttP was that a lot of the items didn't retain their usefulness beyond the dungeon they're obtained from.

Did you make it to adult Link? OOT is low on random busy work in an overworld but very dense in classic Zelda puzzle gameplay using items. Basically the inverse of BOTK.

I did. The movement just felt slower in general, especially in the Water Temple (and that had to do with the slow underwater movement).

BlackTron

I did. The movement just felt slower in general, especially in the Water Temple (and that had to do with the slow underwater movement).

Haha the famous Water Temple. I think a lot of people stopped there. Iron boots, changing the water level. It seemed so intimidating back then, now I love it to death.

sn0man

Also Ocarina of Time is basically LttP in 3D. Of course it's not that simple but...pretty much. So it followed the convention of its predecessors more than say, Mario 64 which changed the format. That feeling of being in a deep dungeon and getting a new item that makes you reassess how you approach the whole environment was lifted directly out of 2D Zelda and put into a 3D game.
Yeah… having played OoT before LttP it was kind of tough. I only then realized that what I had played in 3D as a kid wasn’t all that new. It was just 3D. I think if I went back and played LttP again now I might be more favorable to it knowing it’s coming.

BlackTron

Hard agree on the final sentence in particular. Actions in LA felt more swift, the map design felt less gated, and the Roc's Feather jump added a lot. I don't see why ALBW didn't have it, because it would have helped with the verticality.

One other issue with LttP was that a lot of the items didn't retain their usefulness beyond the dungeon they're obtained from.

Yeah Link's Awakening is in a weird spot of being buffed because it was the successor to ALttP but also nerfed because it was on Game Boy. You see aspects in it that would have made a SNES sequel instead the end all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
LTTP really is a masterpiece, and I really miss that approach to the series. It was so much more direct and, for me, fun.

Once you've finished the game, check out A Link Between Worlds. It's a worthy sequel that, while not quite as good, is a damn fun experience overall that puts a novel spin on the mechanics from LTTP.

MagnesD3

I agree with you about Link's Awakening but I have to offer a differing opinion on how to play OOT. This game is like THE REASON I cannot just have an old Wii/WiiU to cover all old Nintendo stuff. Did you play this game originally on N64? Aiming, mapping items to C buttons and playing the ocarina is ruined on anything but the original. I mean if you want to use Gamecube whatever but the advice to avoid N64 is just strange, it's the definitive controller for this game.
I played Ocarina on the Wii with the GCN controller and it was incredible. Every N64 game played with a GCN controller has worked so much better than the original design, SM64, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Sin and Punishment, you name it, that c stick works like a dream for the N64 controller scheme. The N64 controller is awful, it was bad when I was a kid and as an adult (even though I did figure out the best way to use it via pretending the joystick is a little arcade stick). I played almost all of these games on the original N64 for reference. It has made my Wii secretly my favorite console because that's where all my favorite games are with one if the best ways to play them.

If you can't play with the GCN controller a Pro controller would probably work too but don't quote me on that one.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild are the best Zelda games by a big distance.

And back in the NES times, in that context, the first Zelda was trully awesome too since it included most of the stuff from the series, including ideas that were brought back in BotW.

IAmRei

ah, i recall young me, back when I played it in first time. the game itself is blown my mind back then, because the freedom and feels of adventure more than usual games back then.

sainraja

So I asked a few weeks ago if I should try old Zelda games if I like BOTW and TOTK and people gave me loads of advice. The most recommended games were Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. Since I am playing Tears of the Kingdom right now, I decided the 3D games would be too similar, and decided to look into the 2D ones instead. It also turned out they were much shorter which was another point in their favour.

So I decided to play Link to the Past. The context here is, I know nothing about the game except that it's very acclaimed and supposedly very influential, and my only experience with Zelda is BOTW and TOTK. Anyway, so I am playing this game, and I really, really love it! It's so different from BOTW and TOTK but it still keeps that sense of adventure and exploration, but there's a more Metroidvania style progression now that I am really digging. The game is also incredibly cinematic and atmospheric! That opening with the rainfall and storm is amazing, and I like how much there is an immediate threat in the story.

I love how quick the game is too, there is almost no bloat in any of it, and it also seems like almost all the cool modern Zelda plot elements like Hyrule Castle, Kakariko Village, Master Sword, the sages, and Ganon, were all already part of the series by this game. I love the dungeon design so much, it kind of feels like a 2D version of the Souls games (I know I have it backwards because this game obviously came before but I played Souls first so they are my point of reference here), and the item based gameplay is amazing, I can't believe how cool it feels to get an item that not only gives me new combat abilities but also completely changes how I approach dungeons and exploration now.

Like seriously the design and pacing of this game is mind blowing. And then there is the twist! I love the twist so much! I seriously thought I was almost done with the game, I was already loving it, I thought it was short but it makes sense because it's an old game, but the twist! And then the whole mechanic of the way the two worlds influence each other and how they are used for puzzle solving! And it turns out everything until then was just a tutorial, this is the real game! And everything is so much harder, so much more satisfying, so much better designed.

This game is a masterpiece. If they released it as is today, it would still be a masterpiece. I cannot believe how good this is, its almost 30 years old and was made for an 8 bit console, I literally can't believe they managed to do something like this back then.

What a masterpiece. At least I am starting to understand why the Zelda series has held hype for this long.
I experienced A Link to the Past on the SNES in 16-bit, and I got it thinking it was "Ocarina of Time," as that was the game I saw my cousins playing. I didn't understand system spec differences, so my initial reaction was shock, but once I continued playing, I really loved it.

-Zelda-

Banned
Please do not pass on Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I found these to be really enjoyable also. Try to play the HD versions if possible.

Laieon

Pre-BOTW 3D Zelda games (and I'd even argue pre-SS) are a lot closer to ALTTP than they are BOTW/TOTK.

BlackTron

I played Ocarina on the Wii with the GCN controller and it was incredible. Every N64 game played with a GCN controller has worked so much better than the original design, SM64, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Sin and Punishment, you name it, that c stick works like a dream for the N64 controller scheme. The N64 controller is awful, it was bad when I was a kid and as an adult (even though I did figure out the best way to use it via pretending the joystick is a little arcade stick). I played almost all of these games on the original N64 for reference. It has made my Wii secretly my favorite console because that's where all my favorite games are with one if the best ways to play them.

If you can't play with the GCN controller a Pro controller would probably work too but don't quote me on that one.

You are wrong and I deeply resent the misinformation that you are spreading. I have a hacked Wii U with everything on it and a pile of controllers. I keep a Nintendo 64 near it specifically for Ocarina of Time, Starfox and Goldeneye because those three games need the OG controller or else are essentially ruined.

I played OOT Master Quest on Gamecube in a room full of people who had played OOT, watching and taking turns. It was obvious to everyone (who actually played through the game already on the 64) that the new controller was worse for this game. It's brazenly obvious to anyone who played the game on original hardware. Mario 64? Doesn't really matter, play it on anything.

What you are saying is that you don't like the N64 controller. I can respect that opinion (even if I disagree). I'll even give you that GC is a much, much better design. Had OOT been designed for GC controller, that would be nice. But it wasn't, it was designed around the 64 controller and using anything else only adds jank to what should be a perfect all-time gaming experience.

EruditeHobo

Yeah, I've said for years that LTTP could be released as an indie game right now and it would still be incredibly well received. It's a great game, and you can see its influence everywhere in modern game design.

It's genius. Plays and controls wonderfully, even today. Still looks great. The best Zelda.

I tried out Link Between Worlds earlier today... doesn't hold a candle to LTTP. It's ugly. Too minimalistic (in terms of 3D) to even have a good art design. Really disappointing, never played that one before but was very let down.

A Link to the Past, forever!

Haha the famous Water Temple. I think a lot of people stopped there. Iron boots, changing the water level. It seemed so intimidating back then, now I love it to death.

Reread my post. It's the slow underwater movement. No way to just swim, much less the lack of, say, the Zora Mask from Majora's Mask.

Yeah Link's Awakening is in a weird spot of being buffed because it was the successor to ALttP but also nerfed because it was on Game Boy. You see aspects in it that would have made a SNES sequel instead the end all.

Yeah. Design refinements. Felt the same way going from Symphony of the Night to Aria of Sorrow.

I won't lie saying I didn't wish for the extra buttons or resolution of the consoles. (Would have been satisfied with 320x240.)

Top Bottom