• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons in Zelda games- Are they actually good?

Dungeons are good?

• Total voters

EDMIX

I prefer 2D Zelda especially the dungeons
Truth, semi OT, but bring that fucking shit back!!!!!!

I have nothing against the 3D Zeldas, but I do not believe they should have ever stopped doing the 2D ones.

The dungeons in the Zelda games got worse. Twilight Princess is the last good solid 3D Zelda game, anything after that is basically chasing Ubisoft shit...

Is this David Jaffe's alt?
video games easter egg GIF by Channel Frederator

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Stuck on Forest Temple? Is such a thing even possible?
Yeah, why not? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The first time I tried to hit those bastards on the wall, they escaped quickly, so I wandered the entire temple more than ten times, thinking they would show up when I solved another puzzle. I couldn't reach the gap on the second floor of the Water Temple either.
I had to ask for help for both problems. But I can say this: I've started to enjoy the dungeons a lot more. The intense dungeon love here motivated me to play the game again(same thing happened with Hollow Knight). Next up is the Shadow temple!

I love Souls games more than any other, but they are absolutely different. Linear and combat based. You don’t get lost, you just have to get through.

And Zelda’s puzzle elements are more than basic, certainly from OoT onwards.

As you say, it’s an outdated type of gameplay experience. But I don’t think anyone else has done it better. Or even attempted it, really.

What is outdated about it though? Nothing. That is the same kind of BS I hear about turn based jrpgs of how the original resi evil 4 controls are "outdated"...it's a bunch of bullshit that has no grounding other than those aren't popular currently. Nothing inherently archaic about them

Ogbert

What is outdated about it though? Nothing. That is the same kind of BS I hear about turn based jrpgs of how the original resi evil 4 controls are "outdated"...it's a bunch of bullshit that has no grounding other than those aren't popular currently. Nothing inherently archaic about them

Keep your knickers on.

I agree with you. I didn’t mean outdated as in lacking. Rather, outdated as in no longer really produced.

Woopah

Yeah, why not? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The first time I tried to hit those bastards on the wall, they escaped quickly, so I wandered the entire temple more than ten times, thinking they would show up when I solved another puzzle. I couldn't reach the gap on the second floor of the Water Temple either.
I had to ask for help for both problems. But I can say this: I've started to enjoy the dungeons a lot more. The intense dungeon love here motivated me to play the game again(same thing happened with Hollow Knight). Next up is the Shadow temple!
Glad to hear it! Forest Temple in OoT is one of my favourite dungeons in the whole series due to the puzzles and the different paths you can take.

I remember enjoying the Shadow Dungeon less due to it being more linear, but that one might be more suited to your tastes.

Forest Temple is one of my favorites from Ocarina!
I love all the temples in their own way, I think originally the Spirit was my favorite for a long time. But then if I think back to the game now, 20+ years after I beat it for the first time, I more fondly remember the Forest Temple, its aesthetic and its music. Even though at the time I remember hating it because I would get so lost and stuck and not know where to go next. But level-design wise, it is a lot of trial and error built from some brilliant puzzles

Hero_Select

One of gaming most beloved franchises that has endured since it's inception and we get a thread like this.

Is the platforming in Mario games even good?

Kokoloko85

Reading the title made me realise something about TotK...
- you have an amazing freedom on how to tackle different situations, kinda like a role-playing game
- you can change some of Link's stats with clothes and weapons
- there are dungeons
- Gleeoks are back, so there are also dragons, meaning...

The Legend of Zelda: Tear of the Kingdom is secretly a Dungeons & Dragons game
* puts a tin foil hat on*
Zelda is an RPG… Flame On!!

Astral Dog

The best in the genre (lol)

They are fun without becoming overtly complicated,have a healthy mixture of puzzle solving and combat,ambience and clear objectives(maps,keys,compass,main item,boss key).

The divine beasts in BotW felt like such a downgrade from the traditional formula

Last edited:
Top Bottom