• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow YS9 PC port is awesome

SantaC

Gold Member
Playing YS9 on PC now, and so far the game is amazing. I am zipping through buildings and wallrunning up grand cathedrals. It is like falcom took the mechanics in FF15 and made them 10x better. SE got shat on.

I thought YS8 couldnt be topped but so far i am very impressed. Doesnt hurt that durantes PC port is amazing either. FOV slider, 144fps setting, draw distance and tons of settings that wasnt in PS4 version. This is why I always wait for the PC release.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Playing YS9 on PC now, and so far the game is amazing. I am zipping through buildings and wallrunning up grand cathedrals. It is like falcom took the mechanics in FF15 and made them 10x better. SE got shat on.

I thought YS8 couldnt be topped but so far i am very impressed. Doesnt hurt that durantes PC port is amazing either. FOV slider, 144fps setting, draw distance and tons of settings that wasnt in PS4 version. This is why I always wait for the PC release.
Playing it on PS4 Pro right now so this is great to hear. Ys 8's port came in pretty hot from what I remember. It eventually got fixed but something has to be said about releasing a PC version that isn't a hot mess.

SantaC

Gold Member
Playing it on PS4 Pro right now so this is great to hear. Ys 8's port came in pretty hot from what I remember. It eventually got fixed but something has to be said about releasing a PC version that isn't a hot mess.
Was durante in charge of ys8 port? He has been very solid in terms of latest falcom ports.

SantaC

Gold Member
Here is a PC review (95/100)

ys-9-pc-review-frame-rate-uncapped-144hz-1068x601.jpg

I think Durante came in later to fix it. From what I hear it was pretty dicey when it first launched.
Edit : Beaten.
Love having durante making jrpg ports. Dude is hella talented.

Last edited:

Holammer

Maybe DF will make a video? With Switch & PC release, it's now available from garbage tier hardware to mid-tier and "how much you got?".
Would make for some interesting comparisons.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome to hear, I've been waiting for the PC release and was hoping it wouldn't be a mess.

Mechanics of 9 are great but the story and presentation is so, so stereotypically anime that it's hard to take seriously at any time. And you can definitely be anime and serious at the same time, don't get me wrong, but this didn't do it.

Game is still awesome though. Absolutely worth playing.

Maybe DF will make a video? With Switch & PC release, it's now available from garbage tier hardware to mid-tier and "how much you got?".
Would make for some interesting comparisons.
This game could have probably been 8k on a PS4 Pro given the graphics, but I think it was still 1080p for some reason. Shame because it definitely would have looked nice at a higher res.

CamHostage

Playing YS9 on PC now, and so far the game is amazing. I am zipping through buildings and wallrunning up grand cathedrals. It is like falcom took the mechanics in FF15 and made them 10x better.

It is crazy that Ys 9 has got that sword-bamfing of FF15, and it looks really fun doing it. That was always my favorite concept in the FF Versus / FF XV trailers, but I generally don't play RPGs and didn't get around to that one (I did seriously consider FF15 Pocket.)

I took a look at a Monstrum Nox trailer expecting a normal Ys experience (whatever that would be; I should have one of the PSP games and played a 2D Ys back in the day, but I don't know much of the breadth of the game series other than it being compared to Zelda and then getting a lot of questions about the accuracy of that comparison.) Suddenly, I'm seeing that warping mechanic showing up in the trailer (along with what looks like vertical wall-running and other traversal systems.) Now, I want this game for my Switch just to run around in.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Not just from a technical standpoint either. The translation was so famously a hot mess that the president of NIS formally apologized for it and the company went through the whole script again and rerecorded lines.
NISA was in pretty hot water with me but they've turned themselves around in my eyes. I've been buying all their Falcom stuff day 1.

SantaC

Gold Member
Not just from a technical standpoint either. The translation was so famously a hot mess that the president of NIS formally apologized for it and the company went through the whole script again and rerecorded lines.
NISA was in pretty hot water with me but they've turned themselves around in my eyes. I've been buying all their Falcom stuff day 1.
Durante said he fixed thousands of bugs and translation errors for Cold Steel 4 PC version

Barakov

Gold Member
Ha. I remember that. The crazy part is that some of the place names had the correct names in the Japanese version.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow ok i had this idea the game was horrible and i was better off spending my money on monhun stories 2 🧐

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
96% positive reviews and people complains at the price in forums.(they always do).
Steam forums are worse than gamefaqs.

You're not wrong, people always complaining about prices. In Russian or Spanish.

I'm not a rich man but if I can't afford something I don't complain about it endlessly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
96% positive reviews and people complains at the price in forums.(they always do).
I'm glad if it's working out but I was looking for technical issues and I guess some are having isolated issues and some are complaining about regional pricing.

SpiceRacz

Downloaded it earlier and it's running smooth as butter. Played up to Chapter 2 and oh boy. This is maybe too anime for me. Combat and music are top notch though.

Sentenza

Downloaded it earlier and it's running smooth as butter. Played up to Chapter 2 and oh boy. This is maybe too anime for me. Combat and music are top notch though.
It's one of the very few JRPGs series I can actually stand to play through, mostly for its overall gameplay/pacing, but the writing has always been subpar at best.
It's really texbook "anime" in the least flattering (and most predictable) sense of the term.

It's so cliché that in some cases I've been able to predict "plot twists" before the initial hook is even announced (blatant example from Ys VIII: they show the doctor and my first thought is "Holy shit, that's your average anime serial killer, isn't it?" and one chapter later people in your camp starts to being attacked by a "mysterious assassin").

Chukhopops

Im hesitating between Switch and PC for this one, tried the Switch demo and it ran a bit rough despite being in an indoor area. Does it run proper 30 FPS at least?

I’ve been a bit hesitant about Switch ports after P5 Strikers which I would say is almost unplayable on Switch.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Does this game have a scene where one character accidentally sees another one naked like, bathing in a river or hot spring or something?

lachesis

I just finished the game a few days ago - platinum on PS5.
Pretty steady 4k(?)/60fps as far as I could tell - except a few hitches off and on.
(pre-grimwald rendered scenes are another thing... don't even understand why they'd need a pre-rendered scene with this gfx to begin with)

I loved the dungeon + abilities. Storywise... Ys8 felt a bit more impactful - but still had loads of fun with the game.
Can't wait for the Ys V remake or Ys X. I do however think they'd need to update the system a bit more to keep the series little fresh, though.

Other than Monstrum abilities & better dungeons, Ys9 felt very much like Ys8 in most cases, even down to the character abilities of Slash/power/pierce type and all.

JimboJones

My 10 year old laptop with fans encrusted in dust and keyboard covered in spunk cannot play game, game must not be pc optimized! ! 0/10

Ys IX is way more demanding when running at 4K than Ys VIII (with a GTX 1080), even with the improved effects turned off. But other than that, it's a perfect port. I couldn't recommend more!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I haven’t played a ys game since felghana and ys origins. How lost would I be getting one of the modern ones?

Sentenza

I haven’t played a ys game since felghana and ys origins. How lost would I be getting one of the modern ones?
Probably not at all?
They aren't really games with a high barrier of entry and the narrative continuity between games is basically irrelevant.

I'm currently playing it on the Nintendo switch as we speak. The game is phenomenal on the Switch and I will try it out on the PC as well when I get the chance.

have you played the others as well? i actually just started Ys1 chronicle on pc and i was trying to play with mouse/kb and it was tough lol. Guess i'm going to have to get my controller hooked up. Which is your favorite Ys game?

A few years ago I wouldn't have guessed that PC would be the best place to play JRPGs as the ports were normally awful with locked framerates and even resolutions but things have really improved. Every JRPG I've played on PC this year has ran a lot better than the console versions and with either better graphic settings or the ability to force higher settings.

Top Bottom