• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish SteamVR wasn't so brittle. I had a power outage last night, and even though my computer wasn't on I just knew it would break SteamVR. Sure enough I boot it up this morning and the SteamVR icon is gone, my base stations are on, and after reinstalling SteamVR won't detect them.

Names of those songs? (I only play the second difficulty usually but if you want competition?)

Sure, i'll check when i get home. Lol! I only mentioned it as i play super casually so i was surprised to see myself topping a couple of scoreboards over the weekend. I can't actually remember what tracks they were but one or two may have been Carly Rae Jepsen songs... i mean Acid Reign and Testament... ahem.

Is there a way to see the AudioShield leaderboard outside of the game at all?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A first draft of the list of recommended games for the new thread
There are still many games I haven't added, mostly Oculus games like Robo Recall etc
If anyone's making the new thread, we can use this list

First Person Action
Deadly Hunter VR
Sairento VR
Zombie Hobby VR
Punch Bomb
Balloon Chair Death Match
PowersVR
Super Ninja Hero VR

Local Co-Op
Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes
Eye in the Sky
Nemesis Perspective

Adventure
The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
Obduction
Batman Arkham VR
Interkosmos
FATED: The Silent Oath
Survivor VR

Platformer
Mervils: A VR Adventures

Card
Ascension VR

Multiplayer Shooter
Bullets And More VR
Dig 4 Destruction

Action Adventure
Vertigo
Heroes of the Seven Seas VR

First Person Shooter
SUPERHOT VR
Dark Legion VR
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Quell 4D
Arizona Sunshine
Overkill VR: Action Shooter FPS

Casual Simulation
SportsBar VR
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

Arcade Simulator
Pierhead Arcade

Archery
Twisted Arrow
Elven Assassin
QuiVR

Room Escape
VR: Vacate the Room
Abode

Rhythm
Audioshield
Thumper
Starship Disco
Holodance
Airtone
AudiosBeats
Beats Fever

Adventure
Trickster VR: Co-op Dungeon Crawler

First Person Fist/Sword
Katana X
Fruit Ninja
Thrill of the Fight - VR Boxing
GORN

Free Stuffs
InMind VR
theBlu
Accounting
Allumette
The Lab
Rec Room
Belko VR: An Escape Room Experiment
Blocks by Google
Google Earth VR
Waltz of the Wizard
Freedom Locomotion VR
The Rose and I
Lazerbait
Tilt Brush

Mystery
Dead Secret
Dead Secret Circle (Upcoming)

Strategy
Final Approach
Cosmic Trip
Unseen Diplomacy
AirMech Command
Grav|Lab

Tower Defense
Kittypocalypse
God of Arrows VR

Puzzle
FORM
Awaken
No Clue VR
I Expect You To Die
Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle

Comedy Simulation
Drunkn Bar Fight
Counter Fight
Job Simulator
Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality
Catlateral Damage
Counter Fight

Arena Shooter
Smashbox Arena

Experience
Richie's Plank Experience
Plank Not Included

Wave Shooter
Duckpocalypses
Space Pirate Trainer
Raw Data
The Brookhaven Experiments
Blue Effect VR
Dick Wilde
Unruly Ghouls

Miscellaneous
Smashing The Battle VR
Unbreakable VR Runner

Kaiju Destruction
King Kaiju
VR Monster Awakens

Sci-Fi Space/Fight/Cockpit Action
Sublevel Zero Redux
EVERSPACE
Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun

Racing
Assetto Corsa
Radial-G Racing Revolved
Distance
DiRT Rally

Tank
Battlezone
Tokyo Warfare
Panzer Panic VR

Survival/Open World
Subnautica
The Solus Project

RPG
Vanishing Realms
Karnage Chronicles

Sports
Eleven: Table Tennis VR
Fancy Skiing VR
Virtual Sports
Final Soccer VR
Cloudlands: VR Minigolf
Racket: Nx
VR Ping Pong
HoloBall
The Golf Club VR

Rail Shooter
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery
DEXED
Bazaar
Gus Track Adventures VR

God
Deisim
Tethered

Horror
A Chair in a Room: Greenwater
Narcosis
Emily Wants To Play
Sophie's Guardian
Monstrum

Parkour/Climb
TO THE TOP
Climbey

Tain

Pretty thorough list. The only games that come to mind that I'd add are Pavlov, Onward, and Waterbears.

On the Oculus side Chronos, Mage's Tale, Robo Recall, The Climb, and Wilson's Heart are probably all worth adding.

and hey if you feel like adding Horizon Vanguard (¬‿¬)

low-G

Pretty thorough list. The only games that come to mind that I'd add are Pavlov, Onward, and Waterbears.

On the Oculus side Chronos, Mage's Tale, Robo Recall, The Climb, and Wilson's Heart are probably all worth adding.

Are you Horizon Vanguard dev? How's it going? It's literally in my top 5 most anticipated games based on the reveal trailer.

ArtHands

Well I did say I am missing a lot of titles. This is just kind of a first draft
These games will definitely be added.

Tain

Are you Horizon Vanguard dev? How's it going? It's literally in my top 5 most anticipated games based on the reveal trailer.

Awesome, that's great to hear! It's going well. I'm planning on getting a "location test" demo out next month (later than what I had in mind when I announced the game, unfortunately), and will be sending out early keys this month to a small group for wider testing. I'll be posting about it in VR threads next week, but feel free to PM if you're interested!

Padinn

The raw data .7 patch seems to have improved performance for me considerably, and I love that they added MSAA. Haven't actually played it in a real match, but lobby was much improved.

Zalusithix

The SteamVR hardware thread is content complete, or at least passable enough that I don't mind going live with it. No point in launching it until the PCVR gaming thread is ready though. Can't really lock this one down without a place to discuss games after all.

That and I still need to decide what to title the thread. =P

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuckin hell I just played raw datas new multiplayer. That is insane! It's amazing!

I know VR is a fresh thing, but it doesn't excuse shitty game design decisions that have been ironed out in regular games years ago.

Raw Data's mission 6 is bullshit. It's fun shooting and dodging the lasers, but then you get to a scripted sequence in which a giant laser wall comes at you slowly. This laser wall instantly kills you and fails the entire mission (dying before would just result in a respawn), so that fucking sucks. Worse, you are forced to do the equivalent of a QTE by inputting a sequence of symbols on a control panel. However, the game does not properly explain this at all. So I ended up dying like three times on that part and having to spend 10-15 mins doing everything again just to have another chance.

I was having a lot of fun with the game, but that crappy scripted sequence has soured me on the experience quite a bit

Wardancer

Neo Member
I know VR is a fresh thing, but it doesn't excuse shitty game design decisions that have been ironed out in regular games years ago.

Raw Data's mission 6 is bullshit. It's fun shooting and dodging the lasers, but then you get to a scripted sequence in which a giant laser wall comes at you slowly. This laser wall instantly kills you and fails the entire mission (dying before would just result in a respawn), so that fucking sucks. Worse, you are forced to do the equivalent of a QTE by inputting a sequence of symbols on a control panel. However, the game does not properly explain this at all. So I ended up dying like three times on that part and having to spend 10-15 mins doing everything again just to have another chance.

I was having a lot of fun with the game, but that crappy scripted sequence has soured me on the experience quite a bit

Uh mission 6 is fucking amazing, more of Raw Datas missions need those kinds of things. Forcing the players to move physically and then break up the action in the middle.

And like you die once and then you will know exactly what to do, the only bad part is that unlocks are all tied to completing missons not XP or score so you get nothing at all for dying but not that big of a deal.

Edit: The voice overs chould be faster in mentioning that there is something you need to do.

ArtHands

Ok, here's the 2nd draft. If I am not around when this thread close and someone wants to make a new thread, go ahead and use this list. Feel free to amend this list

I think i am still missing some gems

First Person Action
Deadly Hunter VR
Sairento VR
Zombie Hobby VR
Punch Bomb
Balloon Chair Death Match
PowersVR
Super Ninja Hero VR
Budget Cuts (Upcoming)
Titan Slayer
Marvel Powers United VR (Oculus)
Ultrawings
Crazy Saloon VR
Deadly Hunter

Arcade Shooter
Drop Dead
Horizon Vanguard
Mega Overload
VR Zombie Riot
Viral EX

Social
Werewolves Within
Star Trek Bridge Crew
Loco Dojo
Gang Beasts (Oculus)
REC Room

Local Co-Op
Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes
Black Hat Coorperative
Eye in the Sky
Nemesis Perspective
VR The Diner
Mass Exodus

Wizard/Spell
The Mage's Tale (Oculus)
The Wizards (Upcoming)
The Unspoken (Oculus)

Adventure
The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
The Gallery Episode 2: Heart of the Emberstone (Upcoming)
Trickster VR: Co-op Dungeon Crawler
Obduction
Batman Arkham VR
Adventure Time Magic Man's Head Games
Windlands
Alice VR
Interkosmos
FATED: The Silent Oath
Survivor VR
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR
Knee Deep
Vanishing Realms Rite of Steel
Wilson's Heart (Oculus)
Lone Echo (Oculus)
Edge of Nowhere (Oculus)

Platformer
Mervils: A VR Adventures
Chronos (Oculus)
Lucky's Tale (Oculus)

Card
Ascension VR
Dragon Front (Oculus)

Multiplayer Shooter
Bullets And More VR
Pavlov VR
Hover Junkers
ONWARD VR
Echo Arena (Oculus)
Dig 4 Destruction
Dead and Buried (Oculus)s

Action Adventure
Vertigo
Witchblood (Oculus)
Conductor
Heroes of the Seven Seas VR

First Person Shooter
SUPERHOT VR
Dark Legion VR
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Quell 4D
Damaged Core (Oculus)
Arizona Sunshine
HordeZ
VINDICTA
Dead Effect 2 VR
From Other Suns (Oculus)
Robo Recall (Oculus)
Blasters of the Universe
Killing Floor Incursion (Oculus)
Doom VR
Bullet Sorrow VR
Arktika.1 (Oculus)
Overkill VR: Action Shooter FPS

Simulator
A-10 VR
City Car Driving Home Edition
Lunar Flight
SportsBar VR
Ice Lakes
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Tabletop Simulator
VRNinja

Arcade/Carnival
The Pierhead Arcade
Carnival Games VR
New Retro Arcade Neon
Gon E-Choo!

Archery
Twisted Arrow
Elven Assassin
QuiVR
Holopoint

Escape Room
The Cabin VR Escape The Room
Escape!VR -The Basement-
The Rabbit Hole
The Ruins: VR Escape The Room
VR: Vacate the Room
Abode

Rhythm
Audioshield
Thumper
Beats Fever
Starship Disco
Rockband VR (Oculus)
Holodance
Airtone
AudiosBeats
Beats Fever
Soundboxing

First Person Fist/Sword/Boxing
Katana X
Knockout League
Fruit Ninja
Thrill of the Fight - VR Boxing
GORN
Heavy Impact
The Fastest Fist
Space Fists
Children of Colossus

Experience/Short Film
InMind VR
theBlu
Accounting
Allumette
The Lab
Belko VR: An Escape Room Experiment
Google Earth VR
Waltz of the Wizard
Freedom Locomotion VR
The Rose and I
Lazerbait
Richie's Plank Experience
Realities Go Places
Everest VR
The Cubicle
The VR Museum of Fine Art
VR Fun House
Guided Meditation VR
Firebird La Peri
Ocean Rift (Oculus)
Historium VR
Colosse
Destinations
Apollo 11 VR Experience
Quanero
Farlands (Oculus)
Henry (Oculus)
Lost (Oculus)
Senza Peso
MSI Electric City
The Body VR
Medium
Old Friend
Invasion!
Plank Not Included

Sculpt/Paint
Blocks by Google
Tilt Brush
VIVESpray
VIVESpray2
Kingspray Graffiti VR
Quill

Mystery
Dead Secret
Dead Secret Circle (Upcoming)

Strategy
Final Approach
Cosmic Trip
Giant Cop: Justice Above All
Unseen Diplomacy
AirMech Command
Brass Tactics (Oculus)
Grav|Lab
Siegecraft Commander
Skyworld
Super Island God VR
Out of Ammo
Blade & Soul: Table Arena (Oculus)s
Deisim
Darknet
Tethered

Tower Defense
Kittypocalypse
God of Arrows VR
Defense Grid 2
CastleStorm

Puzzle
FORM
Awaken
No Clue VR
I Expect You To Die
Carpe Lucem Sieze the Light
Light Repair Team #4
Bounce
Symphony of the Machine
TERM1NAL (Oculus)
Fly to KUMA
Water Bears
Waddle Home
Esper: The Collection (Oculus)
Rooms: The Unsolvable Puzzle
Neverout
Enigma Sphere

Comedy Simulation
Drunkn Bar Fight
Surgeon Simulator
Counter Fight Samurai Edition (Oculus)
Counter Fight
Job Simulator
Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality
Catlateral Damage
Counter Fight
Dead Hungry

Arena Shooter
Smashbox Arena
Battle Dome

Wave Shooter
Duckpocalypses
Space Pirate Trainer
Raw Data
The Brookhaven Experiment
Blue Effect VR
Dick Wilde
Disassembled (Oculus)
Unruly Ghouls

Brawler
Smashing The Battle VR
Feral Rites (Oculus)

Miscellaneous
Unbreakable VR Runner
Please Don't Touch Anything 3D
Fantastic Contraption
Minecraft VR (Oculus)
Just In Time Corp (Upcoming)
Pinball FX 2s

Kaiju Destruction
King Kaiju
VR Monster Awakens

Sci-Fi Space/Flight/Cockpit Action
Sublevel Zero Redux
EVERSPACE
Eagle Flight
Elite Dangerous
House of the Dying Sun
EVE Gunjack
EVE Valkyrie

Racing
Assetto Corsa
Radial-G Racing Revolved
Distance
Redout Enhanced Edition
Project Cars
Project Cars 2 (Upcoming)
DiRT Rally
BlazeRush (3rd person, VR exclusive on Oculus)

Tank
Battlezone
Tokyo Warfare
Panzer Panic VR

Survival/Open World
Subnautica
Island 359
Yore VR
Modbox
ARK Survival Evolved
The Solus Project

RPG
Karnage Chronicles
Fallout 4 VR
Skyrim VR

Sports/Intensive
Eleven: Table Tennis VR
Fancy Skiing VR
Virtual Sports
Final Soccer VR
Cloudlands: VR Minigolf
Racket: Nx
VR Sports Challenge (Oculus)
Paddle Up
Hot Squat
DUO
Hoops VR
VR Ping Pong
HoloBall
PLANNES
Ripcoil
Ping Pong VR Table Tennis Simulator
Cyberpong VR
VR Tennis Online (Oculus)
The Golf Club VR

Rail Shooter
Ghost Town Mine Ride & Shooting Gallery
DEXED
Cargo Cult Shoot & Loot
Bazaar
Gus Track Adventures VR

Horror
A Chair in a Room: Greenwater
Narcosis
Emily Wants To Play
Sophie's Guardian
Boogeyman
Syren
Dark Days (Oculus)
Affected The Manor (Oculus)
The Elevator Ritual (Oculus, Experience)
Face Your Fear (Oculus, Experience)a
Monstrum
Home Sweet Home (Upcoming)

Parkour/Climb
TO THE TOP
Climbey
The Climb (Oculus)

Shooting Range
Duckpocalypse
Lethal VR
Fancy Slingshot

Zalusithix

Thinking of using "SteamVR |OT| Virtually an OT2" for the hardware thread. It's technically the first SteamVR OT, but spiritually it's the second OT for those of us with a Vive and have been using this thread to discuss all SteamVR news.

As for the PCVR game thread, in addition to formatting, it's going to need some sorting of a list like that. Stuff like Raw Data shouldn't be sitting arbitrarily in with the other wave shooters. Heck it shouldn't even be in the wave shooter category if Sairento isn't. I mean, a lot of these things are subjective calls, but we should really be highlighting the best of the best in some way.

Given the sheer amount of organization that a thread like that will take to maintain, I wonder if a Discord server should be set up for recommendations on changes / additions so that the thread itself isn't bogged down by managerial stuff.

Zalusithix

A public Google doc might be really useful for this.

That's certainly an option. Would simplify the OT to a general explanation of the thread's goals along with a link to the actual game listing that many people could contribute to. The rest of the thread would then just be conversation. If vandalization is a concern, it could be limited to a select group of "editors", and a Discord server set up for discussion of modifications for those without edit permissions.

The more I think about it, the more I think that might be the best course of action. A general PCVR games post would just be too much for one person to maintain at the rate that games come out and get updated. Especially since we're dealing with multiple store fronts.

Akronis

Welp one of the controllers' trackpads is starting to have issues clicking on the right side. Read a guide on how to fix, but going to wait to see if HTC will repair it for me.

What has HTC's customer service been like for the Vive?

Welp one of the controllers' trackpads is starting to have issues clicking on the right side. Read a guide on how to fix, but going to wait to see if HTC will repair it for me.

They've been really good for me. The live chat folks know how to get stuff done quickly.

Zalusithix

Some have had good experiences, others have shared horror stories. Seen more bad than good, but people are less likely to talk about good... I guess it's just a YMMV thing.

As for the PCVR OT and GuitarAtomik's suggestion, I got to thinking about how feasible it'd be to have an auto generating Google spreadsheet listing games submitted via a Google form. Essentially users would submit store links to the games they think are worthy of being included - say up to 10, with a minimum of 3 recommendations. Submissions would be editable, but restricted to one (so login required). Those responses would then be automatically tallied. From there every unique link would be scraped to obtain the game name, description, preview image, and in the case of Steam I can even get the user submitted tags. Once that information is obtained, a new list would be compiled merging the tallies of games of the same name between stores. That list would then be sorted by popularity and used to generate a game list where each entry has the relevant information.

The end page would end up looking something like this:
GCYPIUW.png

Could have filter views created to restrict shown games by tag contents, but there's a sticking point with Oculus not having tags to scrape. I suppose I could allow GAF user submitted tags via a different form.

Zalusithix

I've been really busy as of late. If anyone wants to take over for O2 please feel free to do so.

I've already finished the SteamVR hardware thread (or at least as finished enough to call it launch ready). It's only one half of the equation though. We kind of need the complimentary PCVR games thread as well before we lock this one up and shift gears. That said, I'm not about try and compile a massive game thread after doing the SteamVR thread. Of course if we use my spreadsheet concept, the content of the OT's first post will be pretty much crowdsourced by Gaf users externally.

It'll take another day or so for me to get a functional prototype to see if it's truly feasible. Right now I've only tested individual pieces of the idea. The process of chaining them all together could result in problems I didn't foresee.

Samaritan

So I've just experienced an odd, new problem that I've discovered my Vive was causing, and was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on how to solve it.

My system is connected to my monitor via DisplayPort, and my Vive is connected via HDMI. Until tonight, when I tinkered with my system and repositioned some fans, my system has booted up no problem. But upon plugging everything back in and powering on my machine, my monitor was suddenly no longer receiving a signal until it booted into the Windows environment.

Upon disconnecting my Vive's HDMI cable, I discovered that my PC was attempting to display my UEFI and boot screen on my Vive and not my monitor. This has never happened before, despite always keeping my Vive connected to my PC.

If anyone else has any history of this and may know a way to prioritize display devices in my boot/UEFI environment, that'd be very helpful. It's a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but considering this wasn't happening until an hour ago, it's probably more annoying than it should be.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Monitor: Acer XB240H

enewtabie

I have an Occulus but I guess my question would apply to any PC VR set. Can I use Nvidias game streaming/recording to record footage? Is there anything special I need? I wanted to put some videos up on my youtube channel.

ArtHands

I have an Occulus but I guess my question would apply to any PC VR set. Can I use Nvidias game streaming/recording to record footage? Is there anything special I need? I wanted to put some videos up on my youtube channel.

Not sure about the Nvidia streaming, I uses the Window's Game Bar for recording

Here's the current release schedule for the rest of the month for both Rift & Vive.

July

Dry Erase: Infinite VR Whiteboard
Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR (Early Access)
Lone Echo
Echo Arena
KryptCrawler (Oculus Rift / Gear VR)
Mars 2030
Infinite MiniGolf
CrisisAction VR
Doctor Kvorak's Obliteration Game
Just In Time Incorporated
Hold My Beer
Range Day VR
The Wizards (Early Access)
Dead Moon – Revenge on Phobos
The Red Stare
TBA
Mech Ace Combat – Trainer Edition
Puttyface
Qbike: Cyberpunk Motorcycles
Lucky Night: Texas Hold'em VR
Mortal Blitz
MYSTIC VR
Gates of Nowhere

Zalusithix

Well I've confirmed at least basic feasibility with the spreadsheet idea. I've gotten it to the point where it takes submissions from a form, deduplicates, scrapes the info from the store pages, merges everything back together by title, and displays it on a single page sorted by the number of submissions.

Downside is that tags outside of Steam (and even sometimes on Steam) are not an easy solution. It's just too much effort to try and implement something that uses general submission that isn't ridiculously abusable. At most I can see a system using a select number of pre-approved people with edit permissions.

I'm not sure how much it matters in the end as using filter views to sort by tags is probably outside of the knowledge range of many. I can set pre-made filter view links for things like store front restrictions, but doing that for tags would be rather impractical. Beyond that, filter views don't work at all on mobile it seems - which has a side effect of leaving tons of empty listings at the end of the filled submissions that would have otherwise been cropped out.

Link to the display sheet for anybody that's curious. Uses this form for submission. Note that it's currently unlocked for multiple submissions, where that wouldn't normally be the case. View page will not automatically update without being refreshed after - limitation of the filter view.

Played all levels of Xion

I like the idea of the game and how it looks, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Hit detection is too weak, enemies shouldn't be able to fire at you once the room scrolled past the position of the player, the ship lags behind the position of the controller (I really don't like that one), destructability of level geometry has no realy gameplay value and doesn't even work in many places, ship construction is cool but the main body should be static and offset from the controller etc.

It's not at the level of Xortex, not sure it can get there to be honest.

If you can get it cheap it's still fun for a little while, the best thing about it are the huge enemy Boss ships that appear in some levels. The game should have more of that than the regular small anti air cannons firing at you.

Ne0n

Banned
FORM is easily the most beautiful immersive VR experience I've had since owning the vive, god I love it.

The sound design is amazing too.

Sorry not been in the thread for awhile...

Probably not helpful at this stage but in my head the PC and Steam titles would be the other way around. Steam is all things software, and PC often refers to hardware?

OT list and formatting etc sound awesome! An awful lot of work there...

ArtHands

Someone should make the PCVR game thread now :D

Bunch of new game announcements
  • Run of Mydan got announced, coming later this month
  • Super Ultra Monster Smash! is a new game, coming 7th August
  • Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR got postponed to 27th July
  • Hold My Beer VR coming on 3rd Aug
  • Mortal Blitz released on Steam. Lots of PSVR owners said this is a fun game
  • Rise of Insanity early access coming to Steam on September

Metal B

So I was at the VR Zone in Tokyo today and played Mario Kart VR, Dragon Ball Z, Winged Bicycle and Argyle Shift.

He main gimmick of all devices were the special chairs and wind machines. Mario Kart and Argyle Shift gave you force-feedback, which made some difference. While Dragon Ball made you feel the force of your attack, thanks to the wind blowing against you. It was the most fun aspect of those games.
But they were just gimmicks. I didn't felt like, playing those games at home without the wind or the feedback, wouldn't be so different. DragonBall and Argyle Shift also felt like demos and I could see Namco releasing those games at one time on Steam (everything was simply working on PCs anyway).

Most people were enjoying Mario Kart the most. I wonder, if Nintendo developers worked on it, since there were some great animation and graphics (four players were racing against each other, but before the start of the race Wario and Bowser would just jump to the pole position and we're laughing at us. They were CPU controlled opponents for the race, which came as a fun surprise.) But maybe I'm wrong, since the voice-chat was goof and people talking to each other, while driving, made the game even more fun.

I also got the chance to use the new straps for the headset, which are really an improvement, and see the Trackers in action. Funny enough, they used them in Mario Kart for the hands, so that you could grab and throw items. They properly get replaced by the new knuckles at some point.
Dragon Ball on the other hand was complete body tracking. I needed to wear shoes and a belt, which had the Trackers attached to them. Charging up and use the exact motions to prepare and shoot a Kamehameha, was very cool. The feet and body tracking were fantastic. There were just some issues with the elbows. Even so you maybe will never notice it, but I could see some strange animation with the other players in-game. Overall I hope, they finally become cheap enough! They are an important part of the future of VR!

It was fun, but if you already own a Vive, there isn't much need to visit it. Unless you want to try out the Trackers.

Putosaure

So I was at the VR Zone in Tokyo today and played Mario Kart VR, Dragon Ball Z, Winged Bicycle and Argyle Shift.

He main gimmick of all devices were the special chairs and wind machines. Mario Kart and Argyle Shift gave you force-feedback, which made some difference. While Dragon Ball made you feel the force of your attack, thanks to the wind blowing against you. It was the most fun aspect of those games.
But they were just gimmicks. I didn't felt like, playing those games at home without the wind or the feedback, wouldn't be so different. DragonBall and Argyle Shift also felt like demos and I could see Namco releasing those games at one time on Steam (everything was simply working on PCs anyway).

Most people were enjoying Mario Kart the most. I wonder, if Nintendo developers worked on it, since there were some great animation and graphics (four players were racing against each other, but before the start of the race Wario and Bowser would just jump to the pole position and we're laughing at us. They were CPU controlled opponents for the race, which came as a fun surprise.) But maybe I'm wrong, since the voice-chat was goof and people talking to each other, while driving, made the game even more fun.

I also got the chance to use the new straps for the headset, which are really an improvement, and see the Trackers in action. Funny enough, they used them in Mario Kart for the hands, so that you could grab and throw items. They properly get replaced by the new knuckles at some point.
Dragon Ball on the other hand was complete body tracking. I needed to wear shoes and a belt, which had the Trackers attached to them. Charging up and use the exact motions to prepare and shoot a Kamehameha, was very cool. The feet and body tracking were fantastic. There were just some issues with the elbows. Even so you maybe will never notice it, but I could see some strange animation with the other players in-game. Overall I hope, they finally become cheap enough! They are an important part of the future of VR!

It was fun, but if you already own a Vive, there isn't much need to visit it. Unless you want to try out the Trackers.

That Mario Kart thing seems insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom