• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Fox Mulder

Yeah, RoH is niche for a tbs announcement. the tape library gives them years of content that only boosts a streaming service.

Maybe Sinclair will still broadcast on their local stations and give unused AEW guys some time.

Dthomp

Yeah, RoH is niche for a tbs announcement. the tape library gives them years of content that only boosts a streaming service.

Maybe Sinclair will still broadcast on their local stations and give unused AEW guys some time.
I wonder if they don’t just use the local stations for airing Dark or Elevation on another platform other then YT.

dave_d

Just hoping Tony has a job lined up for Dalton Castle.(And Joe Hendry. Why Impact thought it was a good idea to saddle him with Grado I'll never know.)

Bullet Club

Banned
From Fightful:

We've gotten people who are asking if Cody is leading an ROH invasion into AEW and all the Cody speculation - this is something people are cooking up on their own. Now, I will say this: the person who said, "Tony is buying it!" they gave me some info that was pretty accurate but they believe that Cody will eventually lead that as well. I mean it makes a lot of sense. It seems like...I mean you wanna follow in the footsteps of Dusty?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Called it. Well I called a lot of stuff. I basically threw a lot against the wall and something stuck. Am I genius a hero. I wouldn’t go that far. But some say maybe I’m the next Patcher but better. Don’t know who they are but their out there.

Jack Black Genius GIF

This post is sponsored by Sarcasm. In case anyone thinks I’m serious.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Maria would be a good pretty face in AEW. I don't know if she even wrestles anymore. But she is easy on the eyes. The AEW women's division is getting better, but I don't know how much longer that can have Britt stay champ, and Jade be the women's Goldberg.

Hinedorf

Banned
I really don't understand why he bought RoH or how it's going to effect AEW. Seems like Tony just got himself another distraction than his initial investment but hell if i know

Dthomp

I really don't understand why he bought RoH or how it's going to effect AEW. Seems like Tony just got himself another distraction than his initial investment but hell if i know

I'm curious to where it goes. Maybe he has been looking for something to help the younger guys get some experience without throwing them out on Rampage/Dynamite and they can develop RoH into a NXT for them. Hell, almost all of the staff that made NXT a success were fired, bring in a mind like Regal for scouting and development, half of the guys that HHH brought over from Impact, and wait out HHH finally getting the heave :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I imagine he already knows he's spread pretty thin, but we've all been saying they have too much talent. Hoping the library helps them get onto HBOmax in some capacity and opens up more time for their product, because honestly three hours isn't enough for the talent they have.

If they treat RoH the way NXT was in the early time where it was to hone skills, develop characters and ability and then they move on, it's great. I don't need it to feel like a Raw/Smackdown situation where they pretend to be equal but we all know better. Dudes like Brock Anderson need to be nowhere near live TV on TBS/TNT.

Maybe we all are just overthinking this, and it's simply assets and a Library for a streaming deal, with the benefit that like 80% of their roster came through there. Just keep Cody far away from there, dude was the mind behind some of the worst booked segments in AEWs history. Let's just let him go off and think he's a big deal elsewhere and let the real wrestling minds run RoHeW.

dave_d

Ricky Starks has just won the TNT Championship, Tony Khan comes to the ring and looks like he's about to congratulate him but instead he announces he has obtained the entire back catalog of Kenan & Kel! Fans are seen visibly crying in the crowd.
This one sounds too real

Hinedorf

Banned
Yeesh. Not great considering the hype.
We've been getting the same pre-PPV promos for the past 2 months now so I would imagine people are burnt out, I understand trying to build it up but in MJF/CMPunks case doing the same promo every week just sucks the life out of both stars. Wednesday reached an all-time low for the feud. CM Punk worried about feelings and MJF being the exact same heel he's been since day one. Might as well be reenacting MJF vs Cody again.

NickFire

We've been getting the same pre-PPV promos for the past 2 months now so I would imagine people are burnt out, I understand trying to build it up but in MJF/CMPunks case doing the same promo every week just sucks the life out of both stars. Wednesday reached an all-time low for the feud. CM Punk worried about feelings and MJF being the exact same heel he's been since day one. Might as well be reenacting MJF vs Cody again.
As he should be. He just needs some gold to chase. Sammy’s would be fine if Omega is coming back.

Bullet Club

Banned

Sean does a nice little intro to this before it starts. I understand why KC stopped making stuff with podcasts taking over, but it would be nice if we got a few new shows eventually.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Still hoping Cody was a work and he is going to be the main person in RoH and lead an invasion of sorts to AEW

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
IMO Cody was given the world with AEW and in all the worst ways. You pandered to your wife, you were given your own TV show, you appeared on another TV gameshow and at the end of the day you decided being the AEW-Miz just wasn't enough?

Cody strikes me as very ungrateful and disloyal to have chosen the business decision he did. Would rather TK just not bring him back, if you do the same fans that boo'd him out of the arena are that much more on board to do so. All in? Naw

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Cornette was more confused than mad about the aqusition of roh. His biggest gripe was that there was no video package or any sort of hype behind it other than tk's awkward announcement. They should gave waited until they could make it seem like a big deal.

Hinedorf

Banned
Cornette was more confused than mad about the aqusition of roh. His biggest gripe was that there was no video package or any sort of hype behind it other than tk's awkward announcement. They should gave waited until they could make it seem like a big deal.
I will agree though in the way TK presents himself he's more like an excited fan than the dude running the whole deal. At the same time I appreciate what I perceive as total authenticity from him. The whole reveal to me felt like....well okay....I like AEW wtf do I care about RoH and in all honesty I've never seen RoH once so I just have no idea.

Felt like the reveal presented more questions than excitement.

Hinedorf

Banned
Just speculating on AEW Revolution based on everything I read......worst case scenario is if every single champion retains and I feel like that's likely to be the case.

Dthomp

Just speculating on AEW Revolution based on everything I read......worst case scenario is if every single champion retains and I feel like that's likely to be the case.

Im afraid of retains. I honestly think all titles need new champs, but that’s unlikely. Cole should win, but won’t. Lucha Expeess should lose them to Christian turning on them. Sammy sucks and should lose it to anyone, but he’s in a useless multiman match that likely leads to Matt being booted from AHFO, and Britt needed to lose her belt months ago, they somehow waited too long and still didn’t build Rosa up enough to take it

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Britt at least needed to lose her title. But I don’t think they will make Hangman lose.

the matches have been good so far. I am on the mox v Danielson now.

Fox Mulder

Britt winning is disappointing. It’s lazy when people are always just stupid and have no plan for the heel’s goons interfering in every match and lose.

Dthomp

Britt winning is disappointing. It’s lazy when people are always just stupid and have no plan for the heel’s goons interfering in every match and lose.
What’s dumber, is that Rosa is gonna win it in San Antonio on Dynamite. I paid 50 bucks for this PPV, if a title is changing in 2 weeks just do it here so it feels like a big deal, especially since we got no title changes.

I wanna vomit reading SC after a AEW show. I forgot how many little jimmies think Hangman is like the second coming of Jesus. Dude is at best average in the ring. 80% of his title matches have been against dudes in the top 5% of wrestling greats right now, of course the matches are good. How come I can’t recall a single singles match or feud of his that doesn’t involve Kenny or Bryan?

Crowd is starting to turn on Hangman. Has nothing to do with Cole being from Florida, AEW fans travel in huge numbers for Ppv, and his boring personality outside of saying cowboy shit is starting to finally sink in. Tonight was the perfect shot to make a change. Era interference, chased off by DO, Bucks come in from crowd and end Hnagman, Cole wins, heels get some heel heat for cheating and Page goes back to the chaser, which is a better fit anyway

Dthomp

Overall, I thought the event was ok. Like maybe a 7/10, but you need at least a title change at a ppv. They need to stop introducing new guys the way they did Swerve and Lethal. Showing up and creating a moment is way more fun then a dude in a suit showing up to shake Tonys hand. They have hit wwe levels up predictable right now, that’s not a good thing. I really think that every champion is weak right now, or just plain boring (Britt and the overbooking and retaining), makes it hard to get invested when the outcomes are so obvious. For me, this was the worst AEW ppv so far

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think hangman losing the title and having a crisis of confidence would suit his character. Maybe he gets the title again but in the interim he goes to build himself up with the Dark order. It was nice him getting the belt but he needs to drop the belt to complete his arc/redemption. kind of a hey he made it once he can do it again.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Preshow/Start of show was fantastic IMO. Best match might have been that 3 way tag match between redragon/JE/young bucks... energy just felt nonstop for this match.

-Wardlow stole the show tonight in both his match and the finish to CM Punk/MJF
-BrittvsRosa felt like a momentum killer, boring throughout, finish was something you'd expect to see on wednesday
-I was confused why the sting/darby/sammy match came on so late but I didn't know people were going to commit acts of both suicide and murder in a single match, this almost had both, jesus christ...
-Regal reveal felt cool crowd was really into it curious where we go from here $ signing by TK
-Main event felt exactly like I thought, the better/more entertaining guy lost but my guess is Cowboy is a jobber in the making for CM Punk

Great PPV but the best matches weren't the main event. In fact it's likely any match with Hangman wont be close to the best match in any event which is why him holding the strap is so obviously wrong.

Top Bottom