• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

Cesaro is a no brainer hire if he wants to keep wrestling. Hope he lands in AEW, the matches that he couldn’t have in wwe cause he wasn’t good enough there would be epic. Bryan, Keith Lee, and so many other amazing matches out there.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

That House of Black vs Penta and Pac was the cheesiest shit ive ever seen. That dork alex dressed like the crypt keeper. House of Black theme song is so bad its not even funny. Bray wyatt seems to be the only modern wrestler able to pull off the supernatural stuff.

I look at AEW as going thru different seasons from one PPV to the next and this season has been the worst one by far. Really losing interest in the product. MJF feud should have ended already. Kenny Omega and Miro are sorely missed. Luckily once the storylines remix it could improve - but right now its crap.

Dthomp

To me, the big thing holding AEW down right now is Page. He’s not a good champion, his character was the chase. He gets somewhere in the middle to upper middle reaction, and that’s mostly that stupid chant the fans love. Go back to dynamite for his ok baby face reaction going after Red Dragon, then listen to the crowd erupt when Adam Cole comes next. They need to put the belt on Cole at Revolution. He has multiple stories playing out and can have great matches with anyone. Page is young HHH where he could put on good to great matches only when paired with legends or greats.

Im in opposite camp, I enjoy the House of Black, love the addition of Buddy. It’s a little goofy, but Tony draws stuff out too far sometimes, and I think that’s the case here. Add the other member (Julia?) and let them be a different kind of faction. If I could delete a faction from AEW that isnt Inner Circle, it’d be Death Triangle. Three guys who are SIGNIFICANLTY more interesting as singles wrestlers being stuck in a group doing nothing. Alex needs to develop some sort of evil personality and take Penta and run it back to Lucia Underground Penta.

To me, the big thing holding AEW down right now is Page. He’s not a good champion, his character was the chase. He gets somewhere in the middle to upper middle reaction, and that’s mostly that stupid chant the fans love. Go back to dynamite for his ok baby face reaction going after Red Dragon, then listen to the crowd erupt when Adam Cole comes next. They need to put the belt on Cole at Revolution. He has multiple stories playing out and can have great matches with anyone. Page is young HHH where he could put on good to great matches only when paired with legends or greats.

Im in opposite camp, I enjoy the House of Black, love the addition of Buddy. It’s a little goofy, but Tony draws stuff out too far sometimes, and I think that’s the case here. Add the other member (Julia?) and let them be a different kind of faction. If I could delete a faction from AEW that isnt Inner Circle, it’d be Death Triangle. Three guys who are SIGNIFICANLTY more interesting as singles wrestlers being stuck in a group doing nothing. Alex needs to develop some sort of evil personality and take Penta and run it back to Lucia Underground Penta.
i wouldn't say thats the biggest problem. But the world champ Page problem does stick out like a sore thumb. When there is like 15 other things going on in AEW that ppl care about more than Adam Page. He's an afterthought. And its not just Page's fault. But he's put on in throwaway segments in the middle of the show. There is just no focus on him.

Dthomp

i wouldn't say thats the biggest problem. But the world champ Page problem does stick out like a sore thumb. When there is like 15 other things going on in AEW that ppl care about more than Adam Page. He's an afterthought. And its not just Page's fault. But he's put on in throwaway segments in the middle of the show. There is just no focus on him.

Sure I can agree there is more then 1 problem, but when your champ isn't a good enough draw outside of a feud with Omega, after being fed Danielson to "make" him, then there is something wrong with your champ. The Champion SHOULD be a major focus, but with his story ending with the Omega win where do you go? His friendship with the Dork Order? It's fine to admit that maybe you pulled the trigger on a title change prematurely and move on. I like long term booking, but having the decision of who was winning the title from who and when should have went out the window when after two years your roster had additions like Danielson, Punk, Miro, Keith Lee now, Adam Cole. Page to me needed more midcard build of his character the way MJF has had. I've said before, I think those two feuding over the TNT title would have been a great 1 year-2 year rivalry before they were both ready to move into the Main Event.

I hope for a title change a Revolution, as it would be a step towards something happening that can involve many parties. So far, AEW has struggled in the way they book most of their champs. They win the belt and then are basically completely untouchable. I mean, Mox still years later has less then 4 losses I think. Only guy to put over others was Jericho, and while Omega didn't lose alot, he made sure the other guys looked credible like Jericho did. Maybe Khan is learning that while long term booking is good, when your roster grows with the talent they have, sometimes things need to change. After Bryan/Omega, I honestly would have put the belt on Bryan after Full Gear. Dude is on another level, and still gets great reactions while being a heel. I'm not a fan of whatever his program with Mox is going, but it's still more interesting then Page being a shitty friend, or fighting Archer in a meaningless "Death Match".

At least it looks like the winner of the Sonic Ring gets a TNT title match, hopefully this leads to Lee or some great worker/speaker combination to take the belt of Sammy.

Kagey K

Banned
Sure I can agree there is more then 1 problem, but when your champ isn't a good enough draw outside of a feud with Omega, after being fed Danielson to "make" him, then there is something wrong with your champ. The Champion SHOULD be a major focus, but with his story ending with the Omega win where do you go? His friendship with the Dork Order? It's fine to admit that maybe you pulled the trigger on a title change prematurely and move on. I like long term booking, but having the decision of who was winning the title from who and when should have went out the window when after two years your roster had additions like Danielson, Punk, Miro, Keith Lee now, Adam Cole. Page to me needed more midcard build of his character the way MJF has had. I've said before, I think those two feuding over the TNT title would have been a great 1 year-2 year rivalry before they were both ready to move into the Main Event.

I hope for a title change a Revolution, as it would be a step towards something happening that can involve many parties. So far, AEW has struggled in the way they book most of their champs. They win the belt and then are basically completely untouchable. I mean, Mox still years later has less then 4 losses I think. Only guy to put over others was Jericho, and while Omega didn't lose alot, he made sure the other guys looked credible like Jericho did. Maybe Khan is learning that while long term booking is good, when your roster grows with the talent they have, sometimes things need to change. After Bryan/Omega, I honestly would have put the belt on Bryan after Full Gear. Dude is on another level, and still gets great reactions while being a heel. I'm not a fan of whatever his program with Mox is going, but it's still more interesting then Page being a shitty friend, or fighting Archer in a meaningless "Death Match".

At least it looks like the winner of the Sonic Ring gets a TNT title match, hopefully this leads to Lee or some great worker/speaker combination to take the belt of Sammy.
I said a few months ago AEW was at risk of falling into the WCW, TNA trap of hiring released WWF performers and losing thier identity.

Seems it's happening. They should have stuck with what was working, and slowly brought in the other talent.

Instead it's looking like Raw .05 right now.

They are going to over leverage themselves in contracts real quick, with nobody getting tv time and everyone getting paid.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I said a few months ago AEW was at risk of falling into the WCW, TNA trap of hiring released WWF performers and losing thier identity.

Seems it's happening.
I disagree a bit, WCW was paying dudes crazy monet, but they were rarely dudes the wwf cared about to begin with. I don’t believe Khan is as dumb with the spending that Bischoff was. Hogan, Hall, Nash, Macho? Sure. But then they all got their buddies hired for more then they were worth. For what it seems AEW doesn’t pay anywhere near wwe levels of money outside of Jericho and Punk, dudes just want to work somewhere fun. Only ex wwe guys there I’m personally not a fan of are PAC, Spears (A Cody friend…) and Andrade, but I don’t put that all on him, I love Andrade from nxt and main roster. I don’t like whatever this version of him is.

Kagey K

Banned
I disagree a bit, WCW was paying dudes crazy monet, but they were rarely dudes the wwf cared about to begin with. I don’t believe Khan is as dumb with the spending that Bischoff was. Hogan, Hall, Nash, Macho? Sure. But then they all got their buddies hired for more then they were worth. For what it seems AEW doesn’t pay anywhere near wwe levels of money outside of Jericho and Punk, dudes just want to work somewhere fun. Only ex wwe guys there I’m personally not a fan of are PAC, Spears (A Cody friend…) and Andrade, but I don’t put that all on him, I love Andrade from nxt and main roster. I don’t like whatever this version of him is.
I'm not even really looking at the backstage, but AEW just doesn't have the TV time right now to push everyone they have.

Even for enthusiasts that watch Dark and other programming, they just don't have enough time to do anything with most of the roster.

They are going to have to make some choices soon about who is actually important, and I'd hate to see them get rid of a Darby or a Jungle Boy for an ex WWE guy

Last edited:

dave_d

Fucking hell VKM has gone and lost the plot. This better be a comedic match other wise nah.
I doubt it'll be as bad as Zayn Vs. Knoxville at Wrestlemania. (Which they're clearly going to have. The only real question is will Knoxville cost Sami the IC title to trigger it or if it will actually be for the title.) Yeah I know, damning with faint praise.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Where did GCW come from and why has it blown up so much in the last few years? I thought it was some garbage death match promotion in Atlanta but they keep drawing in big stars and pretty impressive looking audiences for a promotion with no tv.

Where did GCW come from and why has it blown up so much in the last few years? I thought it was some garbage death match promotion in Atlanta but they keep drawing in big stars and pretty impressive looking audiences for a promotion with no tv.
well WWE released 100 wrestlers in the last 3 years. Thats enough to let every tom dick and harry have someone with a name on their cards now.
I tried to watch 5 mins of GCW once. They had like 3 real wrestlers. And a bunch of ppl that shouldn't even be on a show at a highschool gym let alone on a ppv.

Bullet Club

Banned
GCW started getting bigger when they started doing those Joey Janela shows about 5 years ago. The popularity of those and Bloodsport helped GCW grow.

The Nick Gage Dark Side episode also gave them a boost.

Seraphym

Going back to Hangman Page, UK viewer so don't often watch the full shows, he doesn't "look" like he wants to be champion.
When you look at the crowd response too, he just seems like he is booked out of his depth.
Be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Mox and Bryan as a two man power trip V2, Page chasing a title might work better.

Wrestlemania looks f'ing shocking, how long is it this year?

Hinedorf

Banned

Not interested in either Briscos or Hardys at this point. I'm starting to think the EVP's are what made AEW good as TK's bookings the last few weeks have been garbage imo.....

If you got all this talent on your roster and your answer is looking for MORE TALENT, then TK is officially bad at his job. I hope this isn't true but I'm seeing a pattern of boring consistency much worse than even WWE. Maybe I'm just in a rut with AEW right now but it feels highly underwhelming.

Dthomp

Not interested in either Briscos or Hardys at this point. I'm starting to think the EVP's are what made AEW good as TK's bookings the last few weeks have been garbage imo.....

If you got all this talent on your roster and your answer is looking for MORE TALENT, then TK is officially bad at his job. I hope this isn't true but I'm seeing a pattern of boring consistency much worse than even WWE. Maybe I'm just in a rut with AEW right now but it feels highly underwhelming.

I don’t have an issue with any of the signings he’s made. What I think we are seeing is Tony overthinking things. He saw what ruined all the other promotions and a big thing was impact not pushing it’s own talent enough, same with wcw booking. So now we see the push of guys who just aren’t ready to be on tv every week as the promotions champions.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Speculation on what the AEW huge announcement is? I'm guessing a new bigger tv deal. The only other two things I could think of is maybe a stadium show. Maybe their own streaming service?

Last edited:

dave_d

And tonight on RAW......Sound Effects when Bianca uses her braid as a whip. (Yeah, almost as bad as the choo-choo train sound effects for Braun.)

Hinedorf

Banned
What is Tony's big announcement tonight.
DB2hyfl.png

Fox Mulder

Speculation on what the AEW huge announcement is? I'm guessing a new bigger tv deal. The only other two things I could think of is maybe a stadium show. Maybe their own streaming service?

Expanding AEW to HBO Max would be big for them. Like a new show, streaming library, or even PPVs.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Tony bought Impact and RoH and made full working relationship with NJPW plus VoD library of all.

That or he bought WWE.
Or
AEW U.K. division ?

ElRenoRaven

Close. Just made the announcement and AEW has purchased Ring of Honor. Kind of weird seeing as ROH was dead. Dont' really think this was worthy of all the hype to be honest.

Last edited:

Dthomp

seriously, what do you get buying Ro? Tape library for a streaming deal on HBO max? Cause weren’t all the talent let go, and he could just sign em all?

dave_d

seriously, what do you get buying Ro? Tape library for a streaming deal on HBO max? Cause weren’t all the talent let go, and he could just sign em all?
Well I guess that would keep their tape library away from Vince.(Since he owns so many of them already.) Doesn't Vince own WCW, AWA, WCCW, ECW, and GWF?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I imagine they'll either just absorb the tape library and whatever talent hasn't gotten out already. Or maybe they'll use it as a feeder type of territory like ovw was for wwe.

ElRenoRaven

Well I guess that would keep their tape library away from Vince.(Since he owns so many of them already.) Doesn't Vince own WCW, AWA, WCCW, ECW, and GWF?
Yea I mean the tape library is a huge boost for an eventual AEW streaming service. Also it keeps that library out of Vince's hands. That's the only real advantage though. It certainly wasn't an announcement wroth the hype given it.

Dthomp

I’d assume that’s a lot of it. I think having it for an inevitable streaming service is useful having Punk, Bryan, and so many old RoH guys on roster. Did RoH have a tv deal? They desperately needed more tv time before this purchase, but it’s not like we know what he actually bought since everybody was fired.

Dthomp

Yea I mean the tape library is a huge boost for an eventual AEW streaming service. Also it keeps that library out of Vince's hands. That's the only real advantage though. It certainly wasn't an announcement wroth the hype given it.
Yeah, he’s gotta calm it a bit on major announcement stuff. This could have been a press release, it’s not like there was probably more then a couple suitors looking for the library.

ElRenoRaven

I’d assume that’s a lot of it. I think having it for an inevitable streaming service is useful having Punk, Bryan, and so many old RoH guys on roster. Did RoH have a tv deal? They desperately needed more tv time before this purchase, but it’s not like we know what he actually bought since everybody was fired.
Ring of Honor was carried on Sinclair owned stations. They own local stations accross the country.

Top Bottom