• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gawd I hate Becky lynch
R.485acda5efb26e7e41baf8cd3ee10d8d

MachRc

One move!!

its disrespectful for all the ladies that were holding it down while she was gone.

Make me almost think she isn't really ready to wrassle

Last edited:

Agent X

Just saw the Becky/Bianca "match". That's terrible. At least let them go 5 minutes.

Yes, this bothered me greatly, too.It was the low point in what was otherwise a great show.

I mean, I was happy to see Becky Lynch return to action. I had no problem if WWE wanted to have her take the title from Bianca Belair. But this was just the wrong way to do it.

Two moves from Becky in five seconds, and it's all over. No offense from Bianca at all.

WWE spent the last four months trying to build up Bianca Belair as a credible champion, only to throw it all away in mere seconds. Like DForce DForce said, it was very reminiscent of what they did with Kofi Kingston two years ago. It makes the (now) former champion look weak, like the build-up was all for nothing. It took the wind out of Bianca's sails.

I could accept a short match where the two opponents go back and forth for a few minutes. It would give the impression that Bianca could put up a challenge, and that Becky would have to put in some work to "earn" the title over a tough competitor.

It will be interesting to see how the WWE creative team tries to follow up on this.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, this bothered me greatly, too.It was the low point in what was otherwise a great show.

I mean, I was happy to see Becky Lynch return to action. I had no problem if WWE wanted to have her take the title from Bianca Belair. But this was just the wrong way to do it.

Two moves from Becky in five seconds, and it's all over. No offense from Bianca at all.

WWE spent the last four months trying to build up Bianca Belair as a credible champion, only to throw it all away in mere seconds. Like DForce DForce said, it was very reminiscent of what they did with Kofi Kingston two years ago. It makes the (now) former champion look weak, like the build-up was all for nothing. It took the wind out of Bianca's sails.

I could accept a short match where the two opponents go back and forth for a few minutes. It would give the impression that Bianca could put up a challenge, and that Becky would have to put in some work to "earn" the title over a tough competitor.

It will be interesting to see how the WWE creative team tries to follow up on this.
The only way they don't ruin her is if she comes out boss bitch and goes full heel.

She needs to throw shade at everybody and destroy ppl for a while, while throwing pipe bomb promos.

Is she comes out tomorrow same as she was yesterday, she's pretty much done.

She should have had a barn burner with Becky. Instead they pretty much wrecked her in one appearance.

ManaByte

Gold Member
WWE spent the last four months trying to build up Bianca Belair as a credible champion, only to throw it all away in mere seconds. Like DForce DForce DForce DForce said, it was very reminiscent of what they did with Kofi Kingston two years ago. It makes the (now) former champion look weak, like the build-up was all for nothing. It took the wind out of Bianca's sails.

Honestly the Bianca push came off as WWE attempting to pander to the social justice stuff from last summer.

Hinedorf

Banned
Summerslam felt desperate to me. I can't lie in that I was more excited and had one more fun in 1 hours of AEW with CM Punk than everything that Summerslam gave me.

-Becky Lynch was never repeat never meant to be a part of Summerslam, she was a direct reaction to CM Punk. There was nothing planned between her and Bianca and it was obvious, they built up Bianca and when they realized the hype around AEW they wanted to bring back the biggest draw as a response, ie why you saw her do 1 sell job move and take the belt back.

Nobody can tell me otherwise, Becky was a response to CM Punk and I don't believe they had any intentions for her return.

-Brock, I almost wonder if this is also a reaction to AEW, this however was a great move as they just built Roman to be the next Brock now we've got a real story with some fantastic history, this is the Brock Roman build up we needed after several trash wrestlemanias..

-Most of the show IMO felt boring, felt expected, and delivered on all those expectations:

-Edge winning in his gothic persona which is why I originally hated him in the first place, reminded me of every insecure goth kid in black in high school school. Edge is old and beating Seth does nothing but setup retirement plans for Edge

-IMO the real steal character of WWE right now is Baron Corbin, he's fucking HILARIOUS

All Summerslam really did is make me excited for AEW, feel like I watch WWE now out of something of a childhood tradition than actually enjoying the product.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Praise God and whatever else if AEW ever does surpass raw in the ratings. WWE needs to get knocked down a peg. The shit company needs a kick in the dick. Vince needs a kick in the dick.

Fox Mulder

Summerslam felt desperate to me. I can't lie in that I was more excited and had one more fun in 1 hours of AEW with CM Punk than everything that Summerslam gave me.

-Becky Lynch was never repeat never meant to be a part of Summerslam, she was a direct reaction to CM Punk. There was nothing planned between her and Bianca and it was obvious, they built up Bianca and when they realized the hype around AEW they wanted to bring back the biggest draw as a response, ie why you saw her do 1 sell job move and take the belt back.

Nobody can tell me otherwise, Becky was a response to CM Punk and I don't believe they had any intentions for her return.

-Brock, I almost wonder if this is also a reaction to AEW, this however was a great move as they just built Roman to be the next Brock now we've got a real story with some fantastic history, this is the Brock Roman build up we needed after several trash wrestlemanias..

-Most of the show IMO felt boring, felt expected, and delivered on all those expectations:

-Edge winning in his gothic persona which is why I originally hated him in the first place, reminded me of every insecure goth kid in black in high school school. Edge is old and beating Seth does nothing but setup retirement plans for Edge

-IMO the real steal character of WWE right now is Baron Corbin, he's fucking HILARIOUS

All Summerslam really did is make me excited for AEW, feel like I watch WWE now out of something of a childhood tradition than actually enjoying the product.

Who needs the massive pop and millions of views of a CM Punk return when you can announce the return to Saudi Arabia.

Becky Lynch returning was a guaranteed crowd reaction, but squashing Bianca ruined it and might get people booing her now.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Are you me? Almost all the same thoughts.

Becky is the only person in wwe I like outside of Drew so it was cool seeing her, but yeah it was super obvious response to CM Punk. Last I saw was that she was likely supposed to return around the time of the draft, and was likely a plan for two months down the road. Becky is not ring ready, and likely was not even cleared, hence her not taking a bump from either Mella or Bianca. I’m ok with the finish, I’m not a big Bianca fan and this will give her some depth, and honestly, she’s a better heel then a face. This will allow her to improve her character and maybe learn to be a better promo.

I would bet that Brock also was a panic move. His look screams something Vince wasn’t expecting and will be back to regular Brock. Punk got that pop, and Vince picked up the phone and asked how much to show up. I can’t be the only person who has no interest in Roman/Brock 17.

I legit thought this was one of the worst WWE ppvs I’ve seen in years. It’s easily the worst “big” event they’ve done in years. Too desperate for their WWE moments and had nothing worthwhile happening in the matches.

After the shit finish to the Cole/kor match tonight I hope he’s heading to AEW. There is zero chance he amounts to anything on the main roster. It’ll be a few wime the first month and then right down the midcard for life while they prep for PT Wrestlemania season

dave_d

Fuck you Vince.
Some stupid decisions he makes I can tell myself he probably did that because he found it so funny he pissed his pants.(Like Hornswoggle beating Chavo or Nia putting Lana through a table every week.) This isn't one of those times.

Soodanim

Gold Member

I don't think I've ever heard a more glowingly positive reaction to anything. My favourite line is the first one: "That wasn't the way I would have done it. It was actually a lot better."

It will be interesting to see the dynamic of the top level talent when Bryan gets there as well, CM Punk for better or worse has the fanbase wrapped around his little finger and I get the feeling that the range of appeal in the talent will be shifted. They've had mid-card guys until now, but now they're getting heavy hitters.

Seeing the sold out arena made AEW look much more like a serious competitor, as opposed to what tends to look to me like an up-budget indie to me at times. The NXT changes so far are going to be the least of them if AEW keeps this momentum or gains any more.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Getting away from smaller indie darlings. The Adam Cole types.
This is more or less why I could never dig NXT. Just call it Cruiserweight or something but I have no interest in the Adam Coles of the world who could just as easily look like a guy working at 7-11

Would also say at times I've seen folks on NXT that are far more entertaining than current WWE talent, I like Asuka but she can't speak english......that's kind of important for mic work... Rhea Ripley got jobbed as bad as EST at Summerslam IMO

They just built both Rhea and EST to be their new champions and in what seems like a whim of insecurity we're back to Becky and Flair which is the same shit for way too long, just seems like WWE really doesn't have any new/good ideas other than to go back to what they thought worked best.

dave_d

Soodanim

Gold Member
The only way if I were Cole I'd continue with WWE is if my contract has some sort of "Future endeavors" insurance. After what they did to Anderson and Gallows I wouldn't trust the WWE to bring me in for a couple of months and then screw me harder than that guy in "Top Secret!"(Good movie btw.)
That's a good point. WWE aren't exactly setting themselves up as the stable employer right now, unless there's some stuff happening behind the scenes (and there really should be, far too much gets out from behind closed doors) the wrestlers are brave to stick around.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What can Adam Cole bring to the table in AEW? They're hiring a lot of people. I feel like he would get lost in the shuffle. I can't imagine he'll be featured in any major capacity.

Last edited:

dave_d

What can Adam Cole bring to the table in AEW? They're hiring a lot of people. I feel like he would get lost in the shuffle. I can't imagine he'll be featured in any major capacity.
I don't know, have him and Britt feud with Miro and Lana over who is the true power couple of AEW?(They're going hire Lana right?)

DKehoe

He's got great chemistry with the Bucks. And I'm assuming he would have great chemistry with Britt.

Getting back to PWG style Cole could be fun too

Agent X

maxresdefault-450x300.jpg
Dragunov and Walter... Jebizus what a great fight today on nxt TO.

Yeah, that was a solid match.

Adam Cole has enough connections there, so I doubt he'd get lost in the shuffle. I'd be more concerned about some of the existing (lesser known) wrestlers, who could get overshadowed by new arrivals like Cole, CM Punk, and (presumably) Daniel Bryan.

AEW probably wants to be careful not to take in too many refugees from WWE, or else their own roster could become bloated and difficult to manage without having to make some cuts of their own.

MAtgS

Ya know, I haven't been real big on AEW, but that was an incredible moment. I might have to start paying more attention to AEW, especially if they also sign Daniel Bryan (or Bryan Danielson, as he'll likely be called) like all the rumors are saying.

I also think Punk or Bryan should take the title off of Kenny Omega. You could argue that it's not right for ex WWE guys to win titles so soon after their debut, but fuck it honestly. Punk and Bryan are far bigger stars than Twinkletoes McFingerbang could ever hope to be, now matter how many 12 star Tokyo Dome matches he wrestles.
It's gonna be Hangman winning the belt for sure. It's been a slow burn storyline, but Omega vs. Page for the title is inevitable.

Top Bottom