• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wtf America, turkey sucks

Papa

Banned
Did you try a leg matt? Maybe you're a dark meat dude if you love duck

I had all parts of it. The meat was perfectly cooked, tender and juicy. It just doesn’t taste that great. Of course, I smothered it in gravy, so it was still a good meal overall. I just see zero upside to turkey over chicken. Maybe it’s only good if you have white guilt and need to make peace with some natives.

deafmedal

Love eggs but not a fan of fowl, pretty much cut it out of my diet. Turkey is just not very good, I always get a good chuckle at the fatties walking around Six Flags with a ridiculously sized leg clutched in their greasy paws. I’ll revisit chicken perhaps when we raise our own.

Seafood, lamb and high end beef are where it’s at. I’d eat Japanese filet every week if I could afford it.

Paltheos

Not a fan of roasted turkey. I really like it most as a cold-cut. Alone or with other meats it's pretty darn tasty.

Papa

Banned
Love eggs but not a fan of fowl, pretty much cut it out of my diet. Turkey is just not very good, I always get a good chuckle at the fatties walking around Six Flags with a ridiculously sized leg clutched in their greasy paws. I’ll revisit chicken perhaps when we raise our own.

Seafood, lamb and high end beef are where it’s at. I’d eat Japanese filet every week if I could afford it.

Thanks to China being dickholes and trying to economically coerce us, we currently have an oversupply of Western Australian rock lobsters. Tomorrow, I'm doing surf n turf burgers with smoked brisket and lobster.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ya Chicken is clearly better than turkey. But turkey has its placed. As a cold cut in a sandwhich its the bomb. Better than chicken cold cuts.

Its generally dry and a bit favourless, but goes great with gravy and mashed potatoes.

Just ask yourself why is Turkey only eaten once or twice a year? Outside of Thanksgiving/Xmas no one really eats a bird.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It looks like the only times people really eat turkey in Can/US is Thanksgiving, maybe Easter, and for the 1 in 1000 people who love it, they'll do random treks to Subway to get a turkey footlong.

That's probably 99% of turkey eating right there.

Looking at it that way, it is pretty weird that most people don't give a shit about it aside from the above.

BigBooper

I don't don't like it cooked in the movie pretty way. It ends up being dry and not a very strong or good flavor. It's good if you slow cook it for hours and hours in a brine.

belmarduk

Turkey isn't really a thing in Australia but I know you cunts do it every year for Thanksgiving, and I'm a pretty keen cook, so I decided to give it a go. Got a 5 kg bird, brined it for 12 hours, stuffed it with a mix of blitzed up old sourdough, onion and sage, slid a stick of butter under the skin of each breast, smoked it for 5 hours while basting with melted butter every 45 minutes until the internal temp was 65C (149F), then gave it 20 mins in the oven at a high heat to crisp up. Final internal temp after resting was 75C (167F). I believe I did everything right -- the meat was relatively juicy and the skin was crispy but there was just no fucking flavour. What is the point of this stupid bird? Why not just eat chicken?

Oh look. The man whose country has given Vegemite to the culinary world criticizing turkey.

you take a pile of mashed potato and make a well in the middle then you stuff the well with cranberry sauce, mushy stuffing, green bean casserole, turkey, candied yams and anything else thats on the table.. marshmallows, apple pie, pumpkin pie just stuff it all in there and just jab at it with your fork until it's unrecognizable slop and just keep doing it until you go into a hypnosis and be thankful your cigarette hasn't fallen out of your mouth

HoodWinked

4xkYsGF.jpg

Thanksgiving Turkey is like the Voltron of meals. You really need all the components to be there, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mash potatoes, some greens. It's a pain in the ass so that's why they only do it once a year.

GHG

I swapped out Turkey for Goose for the last few years. Much more tasty and cheaper.

Yep, goose or duck is where it's at.

Did goose and a lamb joint for Christmas last year, so much better. Plus using the goose fat to roast the potatoes is god tier.

If you need to use gravy and cranberries to save the meat you've cooked then something is horribly wrong.

It’s shit tier and I hate it for Xmas dinner. Every year when I go round to my mothers for Xmas dinner I say why not chicken it’s much nicer.
When will this cunt learn?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Turkey is ok, but it’s rarely anyone’s first choice when it comes to meat. It can be relatively healthy though if you stick with the white meat.

italian American families have the best thanksgivings because they have all kinds of pasta and Italian food mixed in with the turkey. When I was a kid I never ate the turkey and just loaded up on lasagna.

ManofOne

Plus Member
What do Australia cunts know, turkey is the best. They've called dogs, dingos for crying out loud.

Last edited:

jsnake19

I'm not saying you did it wrong, but you probably did it wrong...I spatchcock the bird, dry brine it overnight with kosher salt under the skin, pack herbs and spices mixed in olive oil under and on top of the skin, throw it on the smoker for about 2 hours (it gets up to proper internal temp of 165 at the breast and about 180 on the thighs and drums), use the catch pan with stock, carrots, onions, celery, water, apple juice and herbs to get a smokey, delicious jus that I mix into the stuffing, mashed potatoes and a flour gravy. Turkey doesn't even need the gravy, but it adds another flavor layer.

AmuroChan

That's why we only eat it once a year. Also, turkey by itself is super bland. So don't eat it plain. Typically, at Thanksgiving people eat it with gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc.

John Day

I kinda agree with you. It’s quite hard for the meat to get any “flavor”. Not impossible, but hard. Probably why people toss some gravy on top.

I personally love the breast, but Hate the legs.

DESTROYA

Stuff a turkey in the turkey to make a turkey-key-key.

2etjmB2.jpg

Turducken is a dish consisting of a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, further stuffed into a deboned turkey. Outside of the United States and Canada, it is known as a three bird roast. Gooducken is a traditional English variant, replacing turkey with goose.

Should just cooked it in the oven, smoking Turkey is just wrong.
Turkey is great if prepared correctly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom