• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 store closing this July

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
IMG-4531.png

Has been reported, got an email today. It’s funny because games on eBay for the 360 are sky rocketing (need for speed most wanted).

The disk drive on my 360 is broken, it was weird looking at the 360 dash, story and everything I don’t care what console warriors say the 360 was on the same level as the PS3 and Wii for many years. 360 party chats captured that group feel, things like gamer score, gamer tag really brought out the gamer in you.

What did GAF think of the 360 and this store closing? Are you hunting games on eBay?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wait, I’m a bit confused. Does this mean you won’t be able to buy software on/for your 360, or you won’t be able to buy any 360 software (to play on your Series console, etc)?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wait, I’m a bit confused. Does this mean you won’t be able to buy software for your 360, or you won’t be able to buy any 360 software (to play on your Series console, etc)?

The games that are still locked on the 360 store won't be accessible and you won't be able to buy anything on a 360 anymore after 19 years of the store's existence, anything that migrated over to the new store can still be bought and played on a Series.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The games that are still locked on the 360 store won't be accessible and you won't be able to buy anything on a 360 anymore after 19 years of the store's existence, anything that migrated over to the new store can still be bought and played on a Series.
Okay, that’s a relief. There’s a lot of 360 software that’s compatible with the Series consoles that I still want to buy. It sounds like any 360 software that I can purchase from my XSX right now will still be available after July 29th.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It sucks that this is happening, but it’s going to be inevitable going forward unless full backwards compatibility is a constant standard in the industry.

We already know the next Xbox will be BC so the current store will likely last longer than 19 years.

Dacvak

Isn’t something like 99% of 360 software compatible and able to be purchased on the Series consoles? Seems like the amount of games that’ll be lost will be pretty small. I bet there’s a list somewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
this means we cannot buy backcompat games anymore?

No, this doesn't mean that. This is just the old Xbox 360 version of the store. All BC content has been migrated to the new store already.

Will we still be able to download bought games on the Xbox 360 ?

Yes, they said you should still be able to download owned content after the store closes.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Isn’t something like 99% of 360 software compatible and able to be purchased on the Series consoles? Seems like the amount of games that’ll be lost will be pretty small. I bet there’s a list somewhere.

I think it's more like half, but a lot of the good games are covered.

Person could always emulate, and they look better too.

Dacvak

I think it's more like half, but a lot of the good games are covered.

Person could always emulate, and they look better too.
Aw shit, maybe I was thinking of Xbox One games. (I always forget that console exists…)

Zuzu

The last few months I’ve gone through the store multiple times to check that I’ve got everything I want. I think I have everything. It’s sad that it’s closing, but there’s been lots of warning and at least quite a few games are still accessible on the Series consoles and elsewhere like PC.

near

Gold Member

FAQs for anyone confused.

"Beginning on July 29, 2024, we will no longer support the Xbox 360 Store or the Xbox 360 Marketplace (marketplace.xbox.com). Until this date, purchases made in the Xbox 360 Store and the Xbox 360 Marketplace will continue to be supported. This will not impact how the community plays currently owned games on Xbox 360 or via backward compatibility. Players will be able to continue to download and play games they already own on Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Xbox Series X|S consoles via backward compatibility."

Dacvak

Is there any sort of comprehensive list of all the 360 software that isn’t compatible/buyable on XSX? I was trying to find one online, but I can only find the software that is compatible. I wanna know what I need to buy and download before it disappears forever.

near

Gold Member
Very upset, honestly... But at least there's Emulation.

I haven't played Lost Odyssey yet, is my dream to play it...
"Any content distributed via the Xbox 360 Store will no longer be available to purchase. This includes games, trials, add-ons, avatar items, apps, gamerpics, game trailers, and videos. It also includes purchases like gamertag changes on Xbox 360, Xbox subscriptions on Xbox 360, in-game purchases, and video content via the Microsoft Movies & TV app.

Hundreds of Xbox 360 and Original Xbox backward compatible games and add-ons can still be purchased directly from xbox.com, on Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S consoles."

A lot of obscure and lesser known games will disappear for good, but I don't think Lost Odyssey will be one of those.

Last edited:

NickFire

If they aren't selling GamePass Core on it anymore, does that mean online multiplayer on 360 has a hard end date now (which I assume would be the max subscription length)?

Is there any sort of comprehensive list of all the 360 software that isn’t compatible/buyable on XSX? I was trying to find one online, but I can only find the software that is compatible. I wanna know what I need to buy and download before it disappears forever.
Yes, True Achievements got you covered.

Kerotan

IMG-4531.png

Has been reported, got an email today. It’s funny because games on eBay for the 360 are sky rocketing (need for speed most wanted).

The disk drive on my 360 is broken, it was weird looking at the 360 dash, story and everything I don’t care what console warriors say the 360 was on the same level as the PS3 and Wii for many years. 360 party chats captured that group feel, things like gamer score, gamer tag really brought out the gamer in you.

What did GAF think of the 360 and this store closing? Are you hunting games on eBay?
I don't know why you're saying that. Wasn't it widely accepted XBL was ahead of PSN that whole Gen?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
First XBLA game I got was Gauntlet II and then Marble Blast Ultra. I don’t get why Condemned 2 isn’t BC. Those are my only gripes. Mable Blast Ultra you can play on the PC.

fatmarco

I wouldn't trust that many of the currently BC titles that are available on the Series store will stay up BTW.

They continuously without warning delist BC titles from the Xbox store all the time.

Some recommends for 360 marketplace exclusives:

- Call of Duty 1
- Chronicles of Riddick : Dark Athena
- All the rarer Xbox Spyro games seem to still be available.

- theres a bunch of dlc for non BC games too to grab that you might not know about, specifically from smaller games.

Drew1440

This pretty much includes all Kinect games, and any 360 games that were not made backwards compatible with the Xbox One. Really it's the Xbox 360 Marketplace that's being shut off rather than the Xbox store that is used for the Series/One/Windows 10. Sucks because there hasn't been any sales for the non-BC game for years, so they're unlikely to go on sale before shutdown.

DonJimbo

When I read the message yesterday on my series x I got sad an amazing era ends
Till the closure I have to get some of them gems
Any Recommendations ?

alienator

So they close the store, yet keep up all the servers that host the software for people that need to re-download their titles. Eliminate about 70% of their 360 catalogue for everyone since only a small portion is BC (while talking how important software preservation is for them, right phil?) which makes u wonder, why not keep up the store in the first place and still make some money, which is better than no money at all, and/or integrate it in the microsoft store.
This is a 1000 trillion dollar company that shuts u off from buying digital software, while keeping all the servers in the air that host the games. (well for legal reasons obviously, im quite sure they would kill off all those servers if they could)

which shows me how much they actually care about their own legacy and it makes my brain hurt, this goes for sony and nintendo aswell deleting their digital legacies, which in the end no company seems to care about at all.

Not a single bit of trust in digital only games, this is why i have a jtag 360, softmodded ps3 and wii/wiiu and not a single bit of regret. They dont care, why should i. Coz i want to buy my games and own them. But thats impossible soon.

So i just went to the marketplace to buy Soul Calibur 1 on the 360, to play on my xbox one, since its BC, but its no longer there, its already delisted without warning 2 years ago ... great.

Im also quite aware theres a lot of legal bullcrap regarding licences and different companies no longer existing or whatever, but have u ever seen record companies destroy their own stores and delete their catalogues, movie companies burn all their shot footage or museums throw paintings in the trash coz there isnt a high enough percentage listening/watching those ? i can watch a 150 year old painting in a museum but i cannot download a game created 5 years ago. F that.

end of digital rant.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And my 360 is still banned since I played halo 3 week before release in 2007 or so....
Brilliant move microsoft. permanently ban A CONSOLE (no, not a profile) from accessing online. What a way to make a teenager moving into adulthood not being able to buy games from your store. Great job.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I wouldn't trust that many of the currently BC titles that are available on the Series store will stay up BTW.

They continuously without warning delist BC titles from the Xbox store all the time.

Some recommends for 360 marketplace exclusives:

- Call of Duty 1
- Chronicles of Riddick : Dark Athena
- All the rarer Xbox Spyro games seem to still be available.

- theres a bunch of dlc for non BC games too to grab that you might not know about, specifically from smaller games.

Dark Athena is a great pick up and I dont know about the digital version, but the disc version has Butcher Bay Remastered included which is fucking fantastic and NEVER mentioned when it comes to best remasters.

Anything by Starbreeze pre Machinegames should be an auto buy every time

StereoVsn

Dark Athena is a great pick up and I dont know about the digital version, but the disc version has Butcher Bay Remastered included which is fucking fantastic and NEVER mentioned when it comes to best remasters.

Anything by Starbreeze pre Machinegames should be an auto buy every time
Game is on GoG as well btw, but not sure how compatible it is with modern windows.

And I agree for BC games, try to get what you want the sooner the better. Games keep getting delisted to a variety of reasons and physical copies are inching up on cost.

DeVeAn

Since, those games cannot be played on Series model I'm not interested to give $$$. Emulation is so good now especially when using Batocera or emudeck. Too bad After burner Climax and Outrun are stuck there.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If they aren't selling GamePass Core on it anymore, does that mean online multiplayer on 360 has a hard end date now (which I assume would be the max subscription length)?
Gamepass Core can be purchased from the website.

MJR dropped a video earlier today with some digital only game recommendations from the 360 store.

Tl;dw Gatling Gears, Guardian Heroes, Fusion: Genesis, Trials HD, Alien Breed 3: Descent, Ms. Splosion Man, Thunder Wolves, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Mad Riders, NiGHTS into dreams and Scrap Metal.

Last edited:
I wish. I have four games on my 360 "todo" list and half of them are not on the store: Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata. The other two games are Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (Microsoft games so obviously would be on the store).

I would gladly just pickup a series S to play these games, but I have to track down an actual 360 and discs.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Do I need to buy digital NG gaiden black , NG2, and panzer dragoon orta before this so I can’t play them later if I get a series S/X, or use that new rumored cloud feature to play them?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do I need to buy digital NG gaiden black , NG2, and panzer dragoon orta before this so I can’t play them later if I get a series S/X, or use that new rumored cloud feature to play them?
This doesn't effect any BC content, those are already on the new store.

This is just for the original X360 version of the marketplace, games that are not forward compatible and only playable on Xbox 360's.

I wish. I have four games on my 360 "todo" list and half of them are not on the store: Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata. The other two games are Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (Microsoft games so obviously would be on the store).

I would gladly just pickup a series S to play these games, but I have to track down an actual 360 and discs.

Vesperia already has a definitive edition remaster on XBO, Eternal Sonata tho, that I agree with not being BC is kinda bullshit.

Last edited:

stn

From what I understand, anything non-BC cannot be purchased after the closure. Anything non-BC that is purchased before the closure can still be downloaded and played even after the closure. Anything that is BC is not affected at all. I'm definitely going to do a deep dive soon and purchase all the stuff I don't want to miss out on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom