• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 VGA cable. Cheap gamers rejoice!

acidviper

Banned
IMHO this is a godsend. All I do is unplug my Dreamcast VGA setup and throw in the 360. HD gaming with no HDTV. Its pretty much a no-brainer. With the $2000+ savings I can easily get the vga cable and the deluxe 360 package

+No need for new HDTV
+Ethernet/router is nearby, no need for wifi
+Dreamcast VGA still looks great, but I imagine the 360 will look amazing
+Projector friendly (some tv's too)
+portable (if your friend has a monitor, you can bring the cable instead of a tv to their place)

-Looks like I'll need the HD/optical cable if I wanted to do 5.1 digital audio
-You may need a vga/audio switcher (console vga vets should have some)

I like how they put on that leaked broshure that the vga cable can do 1080I where vga only takes progressive signals, so how is it gonna do that then?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
acidviper said:
IMHO this is a godsend. All I do is unplug my Dreamcast VGA setup and throw in the 360. HD gaming with no HDTV. Its pretty much a no-brainer. With the $2000+ savings I can easily get the vga cable and the deluxe 360 package

+No need for new HDTV
+portable (if your friend has a monitor, you can bring the cable instead of a tv to their place)

Yep your right. Get a VGA cable and then a cheap ass computer monitor and your done. HD gaming on the cheap. If only there were loads of cheap widescreen monitors around.
Still. Way cheaper then buying a hidef tv.

FiRez

I'm confident that I'm not the only one expecting the price of the VGA cable, but even if it's cheap it doesn't compensate the other horrible decisions :p

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
flarkminator said:
VGA / RGB is the most superior color you can get out of a console, of course with the exception of HD-TV.

what are you talking about?

VGA is a really nice alternative to a digital output. It IS analog, so signal degradation will probably be stronger, but since it's such an old output it's relatively standard. VGA connectors do have the bandwidth to carry 1080p resolution (and higher), so as long as you have the input on your TV / monitor and the actual unit supports full 720p/1080i (1280x720, 1920x1080) resolutions, you should be set.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
VGA is the sneaky way to make the HD era work.

In a BEST case scenario, even in the US, about five or ten percent of (360) folks will have an HD set in the short term. But guess what that percentage is when applied to VGA monitors?

99%

And if I'm not mistaken, 1080i will work on VGA monitors, but I can't remember how it functions. Anyone?

acidviper

Banned
Nerevar said:

VGA is a really nice alternative to a digital output. It IS analog, so signal degradation will probably be stronger, but since it's such an old output it's relatively standard. VGA connectors do have the bandwidth to carry 1080p resolution (and higher), so as long as you have the input on your TV / monitor and the actual unit supports full 720p/1080i (1280x720, 1920x1080) resolutions, you should be set.

I think unless you have a really old monitor you should be fine. You might not use 1900x1200 in games cause your video card sucks, but most monitors should be able to handle it. Plus most used PC stores sell off-lease 21" high-end monitors for $200 or less.

Stinkles said:
And if I'm not mistaken, 1080i will work on VGA monitors, but I can't remember how it functions. Anyone?

Hows that then because if vga monitors did take 1080i then they would need a built in deinterlacer to deinterlace the image. And as far as i`m aware vga monitors and tv`s with vga don`t deinterlace, they only except a progressive signal cause that is the only signal which is fed into them

Nerevar

flarkminator said:
I believe the difference is the refresh rate

VGA is a type of cable / connector for hardware. HDTV is a standard for the image resolution. They're not even the same thing.

trustus jones said:
Hows that then because if vga monitors did take 1080i then they would need a built in deinterlacer to deinterlace the image. And as far as i`m aware vga monitors and tv`s with vga don`t deinterlace, they only except a progressive image.

I'd imagine most people using the VGA connector would be running 720p (1280x720), which just about every monitor supports.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trustus Jones said:
I like how they put on that leaked broshure that the vga cable can do 1080I where vga only takes progressive signals, so how is it gonna do that then?

Its just RGBHV. Apparantly it'll output standard VGA resolutions as well as HD resolutions. so it'll send out 720p and 1080i timings. Its down to your monitor whether it supports it or not.

CRT monitors should be fine, as they usually support interlacing at higher resolutions.

Its also helpful for those with HDTVs that have VGA input but not a spare component input

Many HDTVs actually come with VGA connectors and component-VGA converters, as the signals are so similar (analog RGB + sync)

edit: looking at the leaked brochure, it looks like just 480p, 720p and 1080i. Wonder how that'll work on 4:3 VGA monitors?

Nerevar said:
VGA is a type of cable / connector for hardware. HDTV is a standard for the image resolution. They're not even the same thing.

I'd imagine most people using the VGA connector would be running 720p (1280x720), which just about every monitor supports.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ryck

Yeah going the Vga route is definatly going to make people more aware of the differences between sd and hdtv. My Xbox looks beautiful on my pc monitor I could only imagine what Xbox 360 is going to look like.

bill0527

I quick question from someone who's really ignorant about VGA vs. Hi-def.

My 48" Widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV has 3 component inputs and a VGA input. Would I get a better quality picture using the VGA cable or the component cable? The TV only does 480i/480p/1080i.

Nerevar

bill0527 said:
I quick question from someone who's really ignorant about VGA vs. Hi-def.

My 48" Widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV has 3 component inputs and a VGA input. Would I get a better quality picture using the VGA cable or the component cable? The TV only does 480i/480p/1080i.

it doesn't matter. HDTV is a resolution standard. VGA and component inputs are both data inputs. Both carry HDTV resolutions. You will get the same exact IQ on both inputs.

Ryck

I also have a question why does the picture look better on my Pc monitor(17") as apposed to my 30" Wega is just because it's a smaller screeen?

Nerevar

Ryck said:
I also have a question why does the picture look better on my Pc monitor(17") as apposed to my 30" Wega is just because it's a smaller screeen?

are you talking about from your xbox? Yeah, it's because it's a smaller screen. HD content should look better on the bigger screen though (because you can see more detail).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Now someone please correct me but i'm sure VGA is better quality then component because component colour information is in a compressed format. VGA is not.

The 'campus party' powerpoints said VGA cable supports: 640x480, 1024x768 and 1920x1080. Not native 720p, which seems strange (some monitors can handle it) but may be an oversight in the presentation.

I've got a 21" viewsonic CRT that can sync to 1080i and just about everything else. With a high-def source, you need to squeeze the vertical height to fix the aspect ratio. Also, PC monitor phosphor fades faster than TV phosphor, so you'll see some flicker even at 60hz.

cyberheater

The leaked 360 brochure says that the VGA cable supports 480p, 720p and 1080i

Ryck

Nerevar said:
are you talking about from your xbox? Yeah, it's because it's a smaller screen. HD content should look better on the bigger screen though (because you can see more detail).
Yeah my regular Xbox.......

Picture%20050.jpg

Picture%20049.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I honestly took this as I will unplug my Dreamcast VGA adaptor and plug that into my Xbox360 (as in the plugs were the same). And therefore wouldn't have to buy the adaptor for the Xbox360. My bad. I just got excited there cause I have an adaptor for my DC.

Nerevar said:

Digital connector will only matter to those who are using fixed pixel displays like LCDs. On analog monotors like CRTs, DVIs and HDMIs don't give you any better pciture at all.

And no matter what they tell ya, the picture you'll get from a good aperture Grille CRT is much much better than the best LCD panel (or Plasma, or LCoS, or DLP) through DVI/HDMI. So X360 via VGA cable to Aperture Grille CRT is gonna give you the absolute best picture quality, barring screen size and letterboxing.

My 19" Sony G400 with dual inputs is primed and ready for this shit.

Workstation3.jpg

acidviper

Banned
acidviper said:

+No need for new HDTV

I forgot the "+fucks Sony's chance at selling more HDTV's". I'd say this is so smart of MS. They get a piece of the inevitable VGA cable market and they shut Sony out some potential HDTV sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shogmaster said:
Digital connector will only matter to those who are using fixed pixel displays like LCDs. On analog monotors like CRTs, DVIs and HDMIs don't give you any better pciture at all.

And no matter what they tell ya, the picture you'll get from a good aperture Grille CRT is much much better than the best LCD panel (or Plasma, or LCoS, or DLP) through DVI/HDMI. So X360 via VGA cable to Aperture Grille CRT is gonna give you the absolute best picture quality, barring screen size and letterboxing.

My 19" Sony G400 with dual inputs is primed and ready for this shit.

Workstation3.jpg

well, it'll give you the best 19" letterboxed picture. Whats that, about a 16" widescreen?

I'll probably end up going this route. Then I won't even have to move an inch to switch from my pc to X360! Thinking about getting a second CRT or LCD now.

acidviper

Banned
mrklaw said:
well, it'll give you the best 19" letterboxed picture. Whats that, about a 16" widescreen?

Ya but you usually situp on a chair for a PC, so you are closer - bout 20" away from the monitor.

I dunno about you guys, but I usually sit on a sofa that is 40" from my tv.

PG2G

I've been thinking of replacing my bed room setup with just a big (say 24" LCD) to use for both gaming and PC. May be a better idea than going to buy a 34" CRT and would probably give me a bunch more room.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
VGA is an ideal format for a console to support because it's of the highest quality, it enables HDTV resolutions and beyond, it's universally standardized, and it's as widely available as any format from the ubiquity of monitors in everyday life. Dreamcast's native support was especially a masterstroke because it came before good quality home theater oriented signals like component were even a practical option.

Will I have to unplug my monitor from my computer tower each time I want to use the Xbox 360 in VGA? It'd be nice to be able to switch between the two without the hassle.

acidviper

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Will I have to unplug my monitor from my computer tower each time I want to use the Xbox 360 in VGA? It'd be nice to be able to switch between the two without the hassle.

Ya. I already have a Gamecube and PS2 VGAbox. It comes with a pass-thru and a switch so like I said. If you are already a VGA console user you should have a VGA switch, or if you have a monitor or DVI video card you can get away with switching the dual inputs.

Most good monitors have either a secondary VGA or a DVI. I have a PC, GC, DC, PS2 and a DVD player all hooked up to one monitor.

What I don't understand is why they have red and white RCA audio plugs. It would have been a lot easier to have the 1/8 mini plug to just use the PC audio or PC speakers. Thankfully I have my home theatre receiver nearby.

trippingmartian said:

That's why I love my G400! :D

inputs.jpg

element

Shogmaster said:
That's why I love my G400! :D
I just sold my E400 to WhiteMan and got a 20" 2005w Dell LCD. Has DVI, VGA, Svideo, and Composite all on seperate inputs :D And you can PiP between the video and the VGA

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what self-respecting cheapass would go anywhere near the xbox 360 with its $40 vga cables and $82 rechargeable wireless controllers? vive la current generation!

p.s.: no, i'm still not over it.

p.p.s.: i'm totally going vga with my 360.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
acidviper said:
Ya but you usually situp on a chair for a PC, so you are closer - bout 20" away from the monitor.

I dunno about you guys, but I usually sit on a sofa that is 40" from my tv.

I guess. Plus its more discreet - PC monitor, comfy chair, big pair of headphones... Could be sweet.

Obviously I'd prefer it on my widescreen HDTV with the 5.1 surround blaring out - but thats not practical when the kids are about, or the wife wants to watch something.

Could be a good secondary solution. Hey, maybe I'll buy 2 360s. One premium in the lounge, with streaming media etc, and a core for the PC,and just switch the HDD and use the same wireless controller!

Vormund

There would have to be resolution options in the dashboard when using VGA right? Because I can imagine games looking real bad when used on an LCD not in it's native res.....

Mupepe

Banned
If I didn't have an HDTV, this would be my first choice. Seriously, you can get good monitors pretty damn cheap and this would work out awesome. Besides, it's always more comfortable IMO sitting in a computer chair and being close to the monitor. It feels like I'm interacting more.

cyberheater

I've just been looking around some of the uk websites and you can pick up a 15.4 inch widescreen monitor that will do 1280 x 720 natively for just over 100 pounds.

I know it's not a huge screen but it would be fine for general gaming or a portable 360 rig.

Sweet :)

joaomgcd

I'll buy the VGA cables to play on my HDTV since all the other inputs are taken, and I'll keep my original Xbox around for XBMC alone.

element said:
I just sold my E400 to WhiteMan and got a 20" 2005w Dell LCD. Has DVI, VGA, Svideo, and Composite all on seperate inputs :D And you can PiP between the video and the VGA

Yeah, but it's an LCD, duder. My 4 year old G400 will beat the crap out of your LCD in speed and IQ (especially rendering grays and blacks).

Hopefully you don't plan to play very dark games on your Dell Oxy. Time to jack up the brightness! :p

Top Bottom