• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox announces Xbox Series X Console Wraps

AJUMP23

Gold Member
nlZTkaX.jpg

Drop those sick Beats!

reinking

Gold Member
I wanted one but after watching the video, not really. It reminds me of the Evil Knievel bike I had when I was a kid that had these foam wraps that used velcro. This looks about as cool as that. Very cool when I was 10 years old. Not so cool now.

Astray

Gold Member
So #1 question: is this shit washable? because being fabric, I can definitely see dust being an annoyance to clean up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If you mean PS5 covers, sure, but this is like wrapping your console in a thermally insulating layer in case it gets cold.

So like the PS5 covers lol

Not sure how popular these will be at $50, but it’s probably cheaper for them than releasing special edition consoles of different colors.

Last edited:

Ristifer

Not gonna lie, I thought they were gonna be some kind of burrito/wrap thing. Was curious what they were going to put in a Starfield-themed burrito.

baphomet

I wanted one but after watching the video, not really. It reminds me of the Evil Knievel bike I had when I was a kid that had these foam wraps that used velcro. This looks about as cool as that. Very cool when I was 10 years old. Not so cool now.

Glad I'm not the only one who had those old wraps come to mind.

sainraja

Microsoft has been heavily into customization for a while. faceplates for the 360, extensive design labs for Xbox One and Series controllers, custom Xbox One S consoles….

Are you new to gaming?
Well, then you should give credit for backwards compatibility to Sony. Are you new to gaming?
MS hasn't done faceplates for XONE/XSX.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

1- I fucking LOVE it.
2- So instead of getting people to buy a second Xbox or sell their Xbox to buy a collector edition or different color, this will do without actually going through the hassle of buying a new console
3- Get the color you want to match your setup.... again without changing consoles or waiting for a white Xbox series X to be released
4- easier to set up over something like Dbrand stickers. cleaner too.

I am all for it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, then you should give credit for backwards compatibility to Sony. Are you new to gaming?
MS hasn't done faceplates for XONE/XSX.

What does this have to do with backward compatibility? Is everything OK?
Nobody’s copying anybody. All three console makers have a long history of customization.

Take your silly console warz nonsense out of my face, please.

Last edited:

K' Dash

They saw Sony making money with PS5 plates most likely.

Still don't know if this is better for revenue than dedicated limited edition consoles, but if Xbox is playing copycat to Sony on it they must believe so.

yeah, I mean, it's not like the 360 did this almost 20 years ago, or dbrand made a whole business around it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I fully expect Series S versions soon. This is probably their quick and dirty solution to satiate peoples "where's the Starfield themed console?" demands.

Still a surprisingly conservative approach. Special edition console bundles sell consoles AND games, potentially bringing more people to your ecosystem.

This just sells accessories. And of course Amazon will be swamped with $20 versions from AliExpress in a month.

I’d have done both, tbh. Custom console for new buyer AND wrap for existing console owners. Ah well.

DaGwaphics

It actually looks better than you'd think. I'm not paying $50 for it, but some people probably will. 🤷‍♂️

At least if they want to sell customizations this allows them to do it without getting weird with the console design, perfect for the typical "box" style designs of late. I can see these getting some kind of creator with different background colors, imgs, writing, etc. like they do with the controllers. Edit: design lab completely forgot what they called it until @ChuckeRearmed mentioned it.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
While I know some people might like this sort of thing... I personally would rather just buy a real LE console.. but not of starfield. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

sono

Gold Member
I saw a fluorescent and sparkly light turquoise range rover on the highway the other day must have been wrapped. I thought of xbox.

skneogaf

It is probably related to the ps5 having replacement sides.

The thing is for me the xbox series x is the perfect colour as it is.... Black!

sainraja

What does this have to do with backward compatibility? Is everything OK?
Nobody’s copying anybody. All three console makers have a long history of customization.

Take your silly console warz nonsense out of my face, please.
And that was exactly my point.
Sometimes it is easy to point out someone else's behavior by mimicking their behavior. :D

My response was simply modeled after yours, if you didn't catch on. :p

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Are there really enthusiast gamers in here that don’t know about the X360 faceplates?? And think this is a knee jerk reaction to the PS5 faceplates, really??_

I'm sure the success of the PS5 plates made them rethink the idea again, but very true that they were pushing the 360 plates hard when they launched that console.

That and people complaining about the lack of LE consoles outside of the Halo one.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Would’ve rather seen a mid generation upgrade 😕

But it’s Starfield related. Ordered.
Now they need to make a 60fps performance mode.

Vox Machina

Banned
Are there really enthusiast gamers in here that don’t know about the X360 faceplates?? And think this is a knee jerk reaction to the PS5 faceplates, really??_

On this forum? Probably not. But more generally I think we're probably at a point in time where there are definitely "core" gamers that never participated in/knew the PSWii60 generation.

SenkiDala

Since I've seen people affirming that PlayStation created the "FPS on consoles" crave, since Halo was just a "TPS before copying Resistance", or other people saying "Ha ! Look at MS copying the trophies with those achievements ahah"... Nothing will surprise me.

But yeah seeing almost 50% of posts here saying that MS is inspired by Sony here, is quite exhausting.

Ozriel

M$FT
And that was exactly my point.
Sometimes it is easy to point out someone else's behavior by mimicking their behavior. :D

My response was simply modeled after yours, if you didn't catch on. :p

My post was clearly to point out that dabbling into console customization isn’t anything new, as anyone who’s been following gaming would know, and certainly didn’t constitute copying. Not once did I make a comparison with another console maker.

You certainly don’t have a point. You leapt to the defense of blatant console warring. Birds of the same feather and all that. Give it a rest.

Top Bottom