• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox April 2022 internal sales data: 74.8% Series S and 25.1% Series X.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DF need to stop doing their PS5 vs XSX/XSS analysis as its pointless. Just stick to PS5 vs XSS as only 4 people own an XSX lol 😂
It's okay for Xbox to have a "Pro console" but not Sony next year (if it happens),
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Thankfully for everybody on this forum, Xbox isn’t the market leader because what usually goes with that is they would also be the lead dev platform.
The downside of that would be that studios will lead with where their money comes from and I’m not sure anynody really wants Series S being the lead dev platform for a generation.

I will add that of course, for anybody who has bought an S as is happy with what they have, they’re unlikely to care in the slightest what the lead platform for a game is.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Thankfully for everybody on this forum, Xbox isn’t the market leader because what usually goes with that is they would also be the lead dev platform.
The downside of that would be that studios will lead with where their money comes from and I’m not sure anynody really wants Series S being the lead dev platform for a generation.
This gen would have benefited if Series S was the lead platform. Many games this gen have severe performance and image quality issues on consoles.

I think the thing about “severe performance and image quality issues” is that it’s very much a part of any platform.
Developers will often try to push as hard as they can and the better developers are just better and knowing where to make those cuts.
Realistically though, the most popular console platform could have ten times the power it does now and some developers will still have the same blindspots that they’ve had as long as gaming has been around.
That’s not something that will ever be likely to change because there will always be a static maximum limit with all gaming hardware.

Crayon

This is intentional and not a surprise.

WTklSsV.jpg

Microsoft directly said this to Digital Foundry.

The problem started for MS when they realized that PS5 (the standard/base console) is competing directly with Series X (which was supposed to be their premium mid-gen refresh).

How the shit are they supposed to release a mid gen refresh for the same price at the same time as the ps5 and not think that it would be at least comparable?

Straight up, the s is the console and the x is what you call a halo product.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You said games that don’t come to XSX due to the Series S. BG3 doesn’t count since it’s coming to Series X owners this year.

Halo Infinite is cross-gen so blaming the Series S for scrapped split screen when the game is on Xbox One isn’t logical.

So…which ones? We also don’t have any track record of third party devs scrapping modes or visual features on Series X due to the XSS.

My point was Series X owners had to wait for the game, due to the Series S not being powerful enough.

Ozriel

M$FT
This gen would have benefited if Series S was the lead platform. Many games this gen have severe performance and image quality issues on consoles.

Nah fam. That ain’t it at all. Games should maximize and test hardware. Nobody should ever design games with the minimum requirements/spec as the lead.

Jemm

Nah fam. That ain’t it at all. Games should maximize and test hardware. Nobody should ever design games with the minimum requirements/spec as the lead.
I think he has a point.

If a game is optimized to run well on lesser hardware, it should run even better on beefier hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think he has a point.

If a game is optimized to run well on lesser hardware, it should run even better on beefier hardware.
Oh, so the "brute force" method. What a waste of money and talent and game design.

Last edited:
Series Suck for life!!! What really sucks is that it's even going to hold back cross gen games for the first 2 years of next gen, let alone this gen.
I just want great games so I turn it on. They can look and run like Zelda Tears of the Kingdom for all I care. Just make great games already.

Top Bottom