• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox April 2022 internal sales data: 74.8% Series S and 25.1% Series X.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Welp.

Everyone tells Microsoft to ditch the Series S because of it's limited hardware, but at this rate they are gonna ditch the Series X and make the S their only current gen console.
I can see the Series X getting discontinued first. Last gen it was one One X. Especially if they see the Series X as this gen's One X.....

History may repeat itself.

Generic

My theory is that Microsoft will eventually release a portable Series S. Kinda like the Switch 2 but with better hardware and Gamepass.

twilo99

If the prediction of 20M Series X/S sold from a few months ago was true...this means there was roughly only 5M Series X out there? Holy shit...no wonder then can't abandon Series S.

Going head to head with Sony on equal pricing is suicidal from a business perspective.

Sony’s mindshare/marketshare is such that competing is extremely difficult.

lucbr

People might laugh at that, but they can't grasp Microsoft would be losing 75% of their already meager audience.

Half of PlayStation base is meager? Imagine is Sony lost half of it installed base. And they are selling half when we don't even need them? A Xbox console is not even necessary to play their games.

Speculative theories of some without any basis and misinterpreting P. Spencer's words about the convenience of XSeries PRO "RIGTH NOW".

1-The most solid information is the FTC vs MS/ABK docs. They foresee a new generation for 2028.
They also emphasize the need to be more flexible with the characteristics of the hardware than it already is and not focus only on a fixed one and to make it more similar to the Windows PC model.without losing the benefits of development for fixed hardware.

That tells me that they are open to launching more models with different specifications and that there is already a plan.

Honestly, and been saying this for months now if not longer...the best move for Microsoft going forward is to make Xbox-like gaming NUCs and laptops, but running full Windows. They already bring all of their games to PC Day 1 anyway; if PC Game Pass is really growing as much as they say, then they could leverage that with the next line of hardware. If they actually revamped Windows Store into something attractive for PC gamers, that'd drive more game purchases directly through their storefront. Not that MS probably care about giving a bit of money to Valve through Steam sales, but they should be more concerned about if/when Valve try re-attempting Steam Machines again based on the successful Steam Deck model, and get compatibility in Linux good enough to where most PC gamers feel they won't need Windows.

Plus that model gives them an excuse to increase the hardware prices to where they get some actual profit margins, where they can control production better by not needing to spend so much on manufacturing at volume trying to match Sony and Nintendo production rate, they can still bring their hardware R&D from console over, give the boxes a slick Xbox gaming UI and seamless switch to regular Windows desktop for those who want it, can get more experimental with hardware designs (particularly in the laptop area), potentially partner with OEMs to design variants (think like what Valve did with Steam Machines but successfully, or 3DO with Goldstar, Panasonic etc. but successfully, or the various Hitachi/JVC/Samsung etc. Saturn variants Sega had back in the day), and have incentive to release updated models every two years or so (making better use of the All-Access program).

Additionally they'd no longer have to deal with being endlessly compared to Sony and Nintendo, would have no reason to not bring virtually all their games to PS/Nintendo/PC since Xbox in this case would be more like a PC than ever (but every now and then, still have the odd PC exclusive like Flight Sim or Gears Tactics which by virtue would still give "Xbox" an exclusive or two here and there), and maximize revenue in their gaming line as a result. Simply way too many upsides with very few if any downsides.

Well, unless you're a diehard Xbox fan still obsessed with MS beating Sony in the space of traditional consoles and the business model thereof. But Microsoft seem like they want to shift away from that. My question is, how much does Phil Spencer actually want to shift from it? And if he doesn't, is it due to some misplaced sense of pride? Would higher-ups eventually force his hand, if that were the case? Interesting times ahead in those regards...

2-Phil did not categorically deny the possibility of an XSeries Pro, he only spoke in terms of the present. Imagine announcing the development of a new model 2 years before it is launched...🤣.
If there is a plan for an XSeries Pro, it will certainly not be announced today and that will cause damage to sales of the current models. Whether or not there is a plan to launch an XSPro, we will know when Sony announces its PSPro, not before.

The only issue here is that an Xbox Series Pro doesn't really help Microsoft the way a PS5 Pro does Sony. The fundamental problems with Xbox, a Pro console doesn't magically just fix them. The 3P performance differences between PS5 and Series X are already minuscule; even supposing a scenario where the Xbox Series Pro is more capable than PS5 Pro both on paper and in practice, is the difference going to be in any way significant enough to suddenly boost market presence for Xbox?

I don't think it would. And, like I said, there are other aspects of Xbox that would have to be addressed simultaneously; if anything a Pro model could exacerbate some of those problems, not help them.

Honestly, they'd be dumb not to launch first. So much so that I'd be more surprised by them launching same holiday season as PS6 then I would be if they spun off Xbox hardware. I am not suggesting they will spin off hardware. Just recognizing two things: 1) existing digital libraries are a huge draw if faced with a choice between similar specs at the same time; and 2) 360's launch was a great time to own an Xbox (RRoD notwithstanding).

If they get a year or two head start, every traditional console early adopter will be at least tempted.

I mean, they could. But they could also get Dreamcasted. At the end of they day, being the new, powerful kid on the block doesn't mean anything if you don't have enough of the big games the market wants, preferably exclusively, to drive traffic to your new machine before the competition is ready to launch.

For Microsoft to enjoy the benefit of what you're saying, they'd have to hope that 1: Sony's back years on PS5 are dry and boring in terms of meaningful exclusives, 2: more enthusiasts gamers (the hardcore and core who are usually early adopters) aren't on PC and have settled in by then which connects with, 3: finding a way to have some actual console exclusives again (i.e only on Xbox, not PC Day 1) if in fact enthusiasts presence on PC is even bigger by then than it is today.

Without the combination of those three things, a 10th-gen Xbox that's trying to exist on the traditional console business model, launching a year or two ahead of PS6, won't don Microsoft any long-term favors. BC doesn't mean anything much because Series S & X had that and it hasn't done too much to move the needle for those systems. I don't think either launching in 2019, with the library at launch they had in 2020 (virtually 99% multiplats), would have made much of a dent by the time PS5 was ready to launch in 2020, or when PS4 exclusives like TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima would launch in the summer.

It'd of been a Dreamcast 2.0 situation all over again. Without addressing the three points mentioned above, IMO it'd still be a Dreamcast 2.0 situation for MS launching 10th-gen machines a year or two early, if they are going to position them as traditional consoles on that business model.

Last edited:

onQ123

Lets talk about it

PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?

As of now Series X haven't really taken off so it wouldn't have much of a head start over PS5 Pro as far as userbase go .
Right now DF have PS5 vs Series X in faceoffs when there is only around 1/3 people who actually have Xbox Series X vs PS5 at the most.

Maybe Xbox Series X is just a facade & Series S is the main console & they are waiting for a die shrink before they actually mass produce Series X or maybe they know what's going to sell & they produce what they can move.

I said it from the beginning that Microsoft don't really want to sell Xbox Series X in mass amounts.

It's a facade they created a console that was mostly there for show while confused customers would be buying the Series S & even now they are putting out a black Series S at a higher price because it's easier to tell people to get the " Black One that's more expensive it's the more powerful one"

Last edited:

Raven77

I need to see more sources. I refuse to believe that something readily available sold way more than something exceedingly hard to find.

Also, in other news - Water is wet:

wet chris hemsworth GIF

Crayon

This is still blowing my mind. It's weird because that means they really did make the budget console work. It came at the expense of the sx, though. There must be plenty of ss buyers who would have paid for an sx if it was the only choice.

twilo99

Microsoft better hope Sony doesn’t adopt the same strategy and match the cheap box with one of their own next time around… that would strangle sales

DavidGzz

You think that somehow April was much different from all the other months or something?

It's data from before April of 2022, when XSXs were hard to find, and people are using that data to say there are only 5 million XSXs sold up until today 1 and a half years later...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it’s amazing data, and clearly helps paints a picture about who is buying an Xbox.
It is. And if the implication is that more casuals are buying Xbox (Series S), then there is a misalignment between their console userbase and the type of games Xbox is investing in.

Casuals would not enjoy playing games like Pentiment or Outer Worlds 2 or Clockwork as much as they'd like to play Spider-Man.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I feel bad for 75% of xbox owners who have to play so many of these games without RT or in sub HD resolutions or without 60 fps. Metro dropped to 512p. Matrix significantly below 560p. Immortals, the first UE5 game with lumen and nanite was 480p. just not good enough.

I think all these xbox series x and ps5 comparison are probably useless now that they only impact 25% of the xbox base. what a waste of time that turned out to be.

I actually feel bad for the Xbox Series X owners that aren't getting the games they deserve due to the existence of the "S".

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People don’t like to hear it but $299 has ALWAYS been the “mass market” console price.
While this can be true.....it seems it takes more than price to get the masses to buy.

I kept saying the real battle to look at was the Switch vs Series S.

Price cant be a problem if Sony is setting and breaking records selling consoles, with both consoles costing more than the Series S.

Everyone tells Microsoft to ditch the Series S because of it's limited hardware, but at this rate they are gonna ditch the Series X and make the S their only current gen console.
With the leaks out right now....we were on the right path.

But its discontinuing the current XSX for an all digital one. At the same price...because of bigger storage and wifi 6...oh and USB C.

What is going on at MS........

Microsoft better hope Sony doesn’t adopt the same strategy and match the cheap box with one of their own next time around… that would strangle sales
At this point in time, does Sony need to?

They seem to be selling $399 and $499 just fine.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nintendo certainly is with the $299 Switch. I think Xbox market share issues are software related. An attractive price point can’t overcome a lack of compelling software.
Nintendo has the portability factor. And yes, most definitely software related, even if Phil says 11/10 games doesn't change a thing. <--- bullshit.

They can be $99 and still not move the needle without the games the mass market wants. Hence why they want to monopolize the industry and consolidate it all to them.

Last edited:
Saying this since months. S will beat X easily, because casuals don't give a dams about resoulution, fps or whatever. They want a cheap gaming system. That's why Pro got outsold by PS4 4:1 and One X for sure too.
That's great and all but casuals aren't big spenders.

Darsxx82

Is this a hope you have or you got something a bit more concrete?

Prove it.

"As mentioned, the % is for an earlier time period. According to Circana's Retail Tracking Service, S accounts for a bit more than half of US Series owners LTD. X has seen improved supply and purchasing since the cited time period."
Post in thread 'Xbox April 2022 internal sales data: 74.8% Series S and 25.1% Series X.' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...es-s-and-25-1-series-x.1661213/post-268413650

😗🥱

Last edited:

cybertailor

Neo Member
I think the Series S is great, I only have a HD TV and it's more than enough. Mostly use Gamepass to play all the great Indie games that Microsoft is getting, they're really beating out Sony in that regard.
Otherwise they're fucked though, once the PS5 Pro drops and the regular PS5 is their Series S, I just don't see how Microsoft can keep up performance wise without rendering on Series S in 480p.

bender

What time is it?
If the prediction of 20M Series X/S sold from a few months ago was true...this means there was roughly only 5M Series X out there? Holy shit...no wonder then can't abandon Series S.

We need a few more data points before extrapolating. It's safe to say that the S is the best selling of the two, but knowing the actual split would be interesting.
Going head to head with Sony on equal pricing is suicidal from a business perspective.

Sony’s mindshare/marketshare is such that competing is extremely difficult.

Maybe Microsoft should pull a Nintendo and get out of the hardware arms race. It's felt like a long term that the marketing shift was focused on Game Pass and not Xbox. Why not move forward with what is working in a low cost Game Pass player?

PakiChilli

Banned
I'm actually curious how many of the SS users would have gotten an SX if there were no options.

Although it's disappointing to see a low-spec console, it was probably the right call. A 250euro console can be a secondary console next to a PS5 / and its appealing for "casuals"

twilo99

Maybe Microsoft should pull a Nintendo and get out of the hardware arms race. It's felt like a long term that the marketing shift was focused on Game Pass and not Xbox. Why not move forward with what is working in a low cost Game Pass player?

I think that’s what they are doing with the series s .. maybe

Some new sales leak from FTC documents, Xbox series 37% market share from June 2020 to Mar 2021 and 46% market share from June 2021 to Mar 2022.
F6aF5ygWsAAlRZS

Note: Microsoft's Fiscal year starts on July 1st and Sony's starts on April 1st. So Microsoft's Q1 to Q3 is Sony's Q2 to Q4.

PS5 had a 63% market share in Microsoft's FY2021 Q1-3 (July 1st to March 31st)

PS5 FY Q3 20/21 Oct to Dec: 4,500,000
PS5 FY Q4 20/21 Jan to Mar: 3,300,000
Total: 7,800,000

7,800,000 / 0.63 = 12,400,000

Xbox Series = ~4,600,000

PS5 had a 54% market share in Microsoft's FY2022 Q1-3 (July 1st to March 31st)

PS5 FY Q2 21/22 Jul to Sep: 3,300,000
PS5 FY Q3 21/22 Oct to Dec: 3,900,000
PS5 FY Q4 21/22 Jan to Mar: 2,000,000

9,200,000 / 0.54 = 17,000,000

Xbox Series = ~7,800,000

Credit: Welfare

Table tabulated to correspond with Sony's FY so Q1 - Apr to Jun, Q2 - Jul to Sep, Q3 - Oct to Dec and Q4 - Jan to Mar).

TTsEmcl.png

I already had 4.6 M for FY 20/21 but have to increase Jul to Mar 21/22 from 7.5M to 7.8M (1.7+4.4+1.7). This means for FY 21/22 my estimate goes from 9.3 to 9.6 and my lifetime estimate from 23.3M to 23.6M as of June 30th, 2023.

Kg5JX1U.png

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You think that somehow April was much different from all the other months or something?

Yes? The OP highlights supply issues with the Series X at that time. And someone already shared the US split is nearly even.

I actually feel bad for the Xbox Series X owners that aren't getting the games they deserve due to the existence of the "S".

Which ones?

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It is ~50-50%,

"As mentioned, the % is for an earlier time period. According to Circana's Retail Tracking Service, S accounts for a bit more than half of US Series owners LTD. X has seen improved supply and purchasing since the cited time period."
Post in thread 'Xbox April 2022 internal sales data: 74.8% Series S and 25.1% Series X.'
US VS the world, so we don't know for sure about it. There is more S consoles than X in the world, but not 3/4 of them probably. Maybe 6/4 ? Microsoft planned for that so it was the plan or at least I think so.

Blood Borne

This has some serious implications.

This means that Series S is the main/default Xbox console from a developer and publisher’s perspective, thus exclusive Xbox games are primarily designed around Series S.

As this gen progresses and games start getting more advanced and with PS5 being the market leader, it means that multiplat games will be primarily designed around PS5, thus there will be some games that will be greatly scaled down for Series S, in terms of enemy count, AI, etc it will look like a different game on Series S and that isn’t ideal seeing as Series S accounts for majority of Xbox players.

Series S is nothing but an albatross for everyone (gamers, developers, publishers and Microsoft)

Absolute terrible strategy by Microsoft. This gen is actually PS5 vs Series S from an industry perspective.

shaddam

If I would by an xbox it would be the cheaper one (S) I was looking at the prices, but it is too much for some x360 backwards compatiblity fun.

Top Bottom