• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox b/c support has swayed me to buy the X

Concern

Not a bad choice if that's what you're looking for. I personally only had a ps5 preorder but nothing really worthy of $500 at launch. And we don't know much of anything about Ps5 bc.

Riven326

Banned
"I'll spend five hundred bucks on a new console so that I can play all the old games that I can play on an older, much cheaper console" just doesn't sound like a compelling reason to buy a console to me. I would have bought an XsX if it had had a couple of new games on it I can't play anywhere else. Can't get my head around just being happy playing old stuff on something new and expensive when you don't need to.
It's a selling point for me. I played Fallout 1 and 2 last year on my old pc and had a great time. I place value on older games. Perhaps I'm in the minority. Of course, I also am buying a new machine to play the new games, too. That was the plan with the PC. A sort of "do everything" machine. But gpu prices made that impossible.

Edit: as others have pointed out, outs the enhancements to these older titles that make it compelling. Without that, I could just hook up my 360 and get the original experience.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's a selling point for me. I played Fallout 1 and 2 last year on my old pc and had a great time. I place value on older games. Perhaps I'm in the minority. Of course, I also am buying a new machine to play the new games, too. That was the plan with the PC. A sort of "do everything" machine. But gpu prices made that impossible.

Edit: as others have pointed out, outs the enhancements to these older titles that make it compelling. Without that, I could just hook up my 360 and get the original experience.

So, why XSX rather than Ps5? I'm assuming because of GamePass, as it's easier and cheaper to play old games? Otherwise both consoles seem similar in terms of BC - for last gen at least.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I'm a millennial.
m0rTzTA.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
BC is great but at end of the day i need to know if it has upcoming games I care about and unfortunately Xbox has none for someone like me.

Stuart360

As a PC gamer, it always surprised me how so many console gamers seem to not care about BC. Having your whole (or a large part) of your gaming history there for you to play whenever, is fantastic. And like on PC with upgrading hardware, on console you get new consoles that also improve your older games.

AeneaGames

I really care about backwards compatibility. It's about the only aspect of my PS4 experience that I felt was lacking. PS Now is... a joke. The monthly fee is outrageous and the catalog of games is piss poor.

The more I've been reading about b/c support on Xbox, the more I've been thinking about picking up the X when it becomes available again. I was going to go PC this gen. That was until I had a look at graphics card prices. Yikes. :messenger_dizzy:

So you have had a PS4 this gen, and now you're getting a XSX for the BC? That means you have to buy the games or hope they are on GamePass...

I like BC but only because it plays the games I have so to me this sounds a bit weird.

But, have fun with the XSX!

Riky

$MSFT
Forza Horizon 4 on Series X is going to look and play better than most racers for a while, Gears 5 looks really good and that 120fps update for Halo and Gears multiplayer. It's a great thing to have at the beginning of a new generation.

I agree with going PC first and foremost for BC, and Xbox would be the next best choice.

Riven326 Riven326 in regards to your tag bestowed upon you from the mods, here's a riddle:

Why don't they do reverse cowgirl in Alabama?

because you don't turn your back on family.
Why is Xbox the next best choice? Once you have a gaming PC there's no point of having Xbox. What are the games on Xbox you could not play on your PC? Doesn't make sense...

Vawn

Banned
If PS5 had support for ps1, ps2, and ps3, I would choose that chose over the X. But as I said, I think PS5 Now offers bad value for the price.

I wouldn't be counting down the days down to buy a $500 next-gen conslle to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

I AM counting the days to play Demon's Souls, Spider-Man, Sackboy, etc. Followed with God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West and Final Fantasy XVI next year.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
So, why XSX rather than Ps5? I'm assuming because of GamePass, as it's easier and cheaper to play old games? Otherwise both consoles seem similar in terms of BC - for last gen at least.
No. I'm not interested in Gamepass very much. I have an extensive library of original Xbox and 360 games. So I don't really need it. But if that weren't the case, it would certainly be a deciding factor. PS Now isn't even competitive in its pricing or what it offers.

Why is Xbox the next best choice? Once you have a gaming PC there's no point of having Xbox. What are the games on Xbox you could not play on your PC? Doesn't make sense...
He said in the OP, that he was going to get a pc, but decided against it, due to GPU pricing. So him NOT having a PC, would mean the Xbox would be the next best logical choice.

I was going to go PC this gen. That was until I had a look at graphics card prices. Yikes. :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
PC offers the unchained upgrade path and an unrivalled library though. I think OP should reconsider.
I'll reconsider when gpu prices come down. A lot. The nvidia 3080 retails for $800. That's insane. I need something that will be able to play nor just older games in 4k, but modern games as well.

Yoboman

Gold Member
If PS5 had support for ps1, ps2, and ps3, I would choose that chose over the X. But as I said, I think PS5 Now offers bad value for the price.
How is PSNow bad value if all you want is old games? Granted PS3 doesn't do native downloads, but the rest do

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No. I'm not interested in Gamepass very much. I have an extensive library of original Xbox and 360 games. So I don't really need it. But if that weren't the case, it would certainly be a deciding factor. PS Now isn't even competitive in its pricing or what it offers.

So it’s largely based on previous Xbox exclusive games? That’s more than fair enough👍

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I really care about backwards compatibility. It's about the only aspect of my PS4 experience that I felt was lacking. PS Now is... a joke. The monthly fee is outrageous and the catalog of games is piss poor.

The more I've been reading about b/c support on Xbox, the more I've been thinking about picking up the X when it becomes available again. I was going to go PC this gen. That was until I had a look at graphics card prices. Yikes. :messenger_dizzy:
Good for you man. I'm in the same boat, though i was always planning on getting both. It was the same reason I bought a PS3 back in the day. I never had a ps2. Was a Ninetendo 64 guy back then. PS3 was pretty fully compatible and may be one of the best purchases for my gaming library I've ever made. I don't feel like I missed out anymore.

Riven326

Banned
How is PSNow bad value if all you want is old games? Granted PS3 doesn't do native downloads, but the rest do
Because I would be paying $20 a month to play games I already own. And then there's no enhancements to those old games with PS Now. $20 a month is a lot of money for what little the service offers.

rapid32.5

Bc is great, since your backlog is gonna be bigger than average exclusive amount of games you buy per generation. I have a lot of respect for MS for sticking and improving BC titles. Enjoy, have fun. Control, RDR2, Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, ect.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Where are the Sony fanboys? Are you all busy playing games instead of creating threads to tell everyone that you're getting a PS5???

I've only seen Nintendo and Xbox shill threads.

Where are the PlayStation shill threads?? 😂

geordiemp

Why not make one?

And tbf you have always been pro PlayStation. I remember you from PSU days and Driveclub!

Not really, was more a 360 gamer, Gaiden, mass effects and COD, but got ps3 later in gen for sony stuff.

My son plays Xb1 for RB6 and some desitiny, but he mains ps4 and so do I now.

Anyway, threads created about what you do yourself are naff, there should be a subject.

Last edited:

Oppoi

I'll reconsider when gpu prices come down. A lot. The nvidia 3080 retails for $800. That's insane. I need something that will be able to play nor just older games in 4k, but modern games as well.

If you're interested in saving money long term go PC.

Flintty

And you’ll probably use BC 1-2% of the time. Sure it’s a nice to have, but beyond the previous generation I don’t go back and play old games very often. Also I have those consoles I would play games on still. But hope you enjoy your new ecosystem of games!

I think you’re underestimating GAAS. These games will carry over to next gen and get better performance and/or visual fidelity in most cases.

I agree with you. My only problem is that I only had an OG Xbox and many of those games aren’t BC. I’m buying a PS5 for BC support on PS4. That’s the only thing keeping me from Xbox Series X.

Where are the Sony fanboys? Are you all busy playing games instead of creating threads to tell everyone that you're getting a PS5???

I've only seen Nintendo and Xbox shill threads.

Where are the PlayStation shill threads?? 😂
Check the xbox threads....normally they are in those shitting them up.

You also must've missed the 80 different Playstation polls over the last couple weeks. You too could've voted if you'd blow a PS5 to the balls or only to mid shaft.

Some downplay it, but it really has turned into a major selling point, with how they’re treating it.

At some point, overnight, an Xbox turned from a box you buy to get the latest Xbox stuff, to a box you buy to get all the Xbox stuff (exaggeration for effect — I know some games are missing), a lot of it in modern fidelity.

"But it doesn't include literally everything. Microsoft has a comprehensive list of the games that'll play on its upcoming consoles: 568 games from the Xbox 360 and only 39 games from the original Xbox library are currently backward compatible. And titles that require its defunct Kinect motion sensor won't work at all. "

360 have around 2000 games
og have around 1000 games

So saying "all the xbox stuff" is just pure lies and false info :messenger_savoring: and "some games are not missing", majority of OG+360 games are missing

I would not call ~25% and ~4% all the stuff.

if it is most of the xbox one games, then say it, but dont try to claim that all games would work because it is easy to check that is not true

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
"But it doesn't include literally everything. Microsoft has a comprehensive list of the games that'll play on its upcoming consoles: 568 games from the Xbox 360 and only 39 games from the original Xbox library are currently backward compatible. And titles that require its defunct Kinect motion sensor won't work at all. "

360 have around 2000 games
og have around 1000 games

So saying "all the xbox stuff" is just pure lies and false info :messenger_savoring: and "some games are not missing", majority of OG+360 games are missing

I would not call ~25% and ~4% all the stuff.

if it is most of the xbox one games, then say it, but dont try to claim that all games would work because it is easy to check that is not true

Sorry you can’t play Barbie’s Horse Adventures, bud.

Then again, judging by your determinism to make a mountain out of an acknowledged molehill, you probably have plenty of ‘horse adventures’ of your own.

Last edited:

Xenon

With hamfisted politics and monetization infesting game design, I see myself really diving back into older games. BC is a huge feature for me. This is especially true now that some games will even have double the frame rate.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wow, this was threadworthy. Can we get a post from every user telling us how they convinced themselves to pick a console?
The worst part is being forced to read it and reply to it. I can't imagine what that must be like for you.

It's pretty funny to see so many Sony fans asking this guy to reconsider his decision to get an XSX. You guys get a commission if someone buys an PS5 over an Xbox? Why do you even care?

BC is a perfect reason to buy an XSX. MS is best at respecting a gamers past gaming purchases. It's another fantastic pro-consumer feature.

yurinka

PS5 doesn't support native PS1/2/3 games, but its PS4 BC support also means PS2 Classics that were available on PS4, plus all the remasters and remakes of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games released on PS4: FFVII R, all these Crash, Ratchet, Spyro games and so on.

We know all the >4000 PS4+PSVR titles (being PS2 Classics, remasters or remakes some of them) will run on PS5 BC day one, with only 10 games as exception. And we know that the devs of some of these 10 games will release a patch to make them work on PS5 BC.

I don't remember which journalist with a Series X said only 961 XBO games (this include some of the 360 and OG Xbox that did work on XBO BC) were currently supported on Series X, and that MS promised them to add hundreds more in the coming days via firmware update. We'll have to wait and see how many XBO (which includes many 360 and OG Xbox titles) games Series X support at launch.

I'd wait to see how BC things are at launch on both consoles. And not only about the library covered by both, in both cases pushing the FPS specially on games with unlocked framerate or the resolution in games with dynamic resolution, but also to see if the improved loading speed is even way better on PS5 due to the SSD+I/O, or for when running from external storage too because PS5 has USB 3.2 gen 2 (twice as fast as the Series X one), or a bigger input lag improvement due to the DualSense using Bluetooth 5.1 (which features way faster speed and way less latency).

Last edited:

Antwix

How many Xbox-Xbox 360 era games are you really going to play in a year? 3-4? Is that really worth the $500?
The versatility is worth $500 to me. I know a lot of people just want the "latest and greatest games" but I love revisiting older games and plus there's a bunch of stuff that I missed over the years. Red Dead Redemption 1 and Midnight Club LA are two of my favorite games and I'm excited to play them in the best possible way especially since they aren't on PC.

Not me BC is not important if you want a true nextgen experience and besides that Xbox games I really can't recall a must have old game they are boring Imo

Top Bottom