• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox backward compatible games program ends today. No more games.

Shmunter

Man PGR4 with up rez, FPS boost and it’s never going to happen 😭

Still am just glad we can play Xbox and 360 games on the XB1, got myself timesplitters 3 and Advent Rising so going to finish them once and for all. (Am hoping advent rising fps issues are fixed with BC)
😞😢

SSfox

Disappointed at no lollipop, but hey at least most interesting games are in, meanwhile Sony keep shitting on BC like it doesn't matter, i appreciate MS doing some stuffs with retro, i wish Sony will takes notes but with no brains like Jim and Hermen i don't see this happening...

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Some stuff are missing, but they did a damn well job at it anyway. Props to them! Thankfully this gen we don't need to worry about this for the titles of Xbox One / Playstation 4.

SkylineRKR

Disappointed at no lollipop, but hey at least most interesting games are in, meanwhile Sony keep shitting on BC like it doesn't matter, i appreciate MS doing some stuffs with retro, i wish Sony will takes notes but with no brains like Jim and Hermen i don't see this happening...

Sony has been absolute trash with it. For PS3 they might have an excuse, though I really wonder. But PS2? Those ran fine on PS4, last time I tried Ape Escape 2 on PS5 it bugged the hell out.

Its baffling how they're treating legacy stuff. Even if its for preservation. Not that Xbox BC is perfect, there is a ton missing, but at least they have a few dozen of classics on there. Xbox can play Ridge Racer, and Playstation can't. That series launched with 3 generation of PS consoles.

FR1908

As a Playstation owner almost all my life, what Xbox did with its BC program was remarkable, truly amazing and a vast catalog to revisit with improvements in performance and graphics. That should be the standard.

I've got a PS5 and I can't play Killzone 2 FFS, not to mention PSone and Ps2 Classic and it's a shame.
Such support as this is unprecedented! Especially when you look at what the competition is doing with their library; Nintendo wanting you to pay extra for 25 year old classics that are even worse than the original. It is important that digital artworks such as video games remain available, up-to-date and accessible to new generations of gamers.

manzo

Jeesus fucking christ. I cannot never get rid of my Japanese 360 because none of the Cave shooters are backwards compatible that were released on disc. Guwange is the only one.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As a Playstation owner almost all my life, what Xbox did with its BC program was remarkable, truly amazing and a vast catalog to revisit with improvements in performance and graphics. That should be the standard.

I've got a PS5 and I can't play Killzone 2 FFS, not to mention PSone and Ps2 Classic and it's a shame.
It's weird that Sony didn't have the option to play actual PSX games like they did with the PS3. I'm assuming the PS3 being able to play PSX discs was emulator based? How cool would it be if Sony continued to do that for all their consoles, allow them to play PSX discs. It'd be a nice nod to their roots.

I'll never understand why console manufacturers seem to just move on and leave the bulk of their legacy titles for the history books.

Sony will leave it as it is. That's why I always kept my BC ps3. Gives me full access to ps1 and ps2 games. Haven't actually used it in a long time though.

Last edited:
Really?! Noooo
Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

MikeM

I really hope these companies restructure their licensing criteria in the future to avoid this. Seems counter-productive to preserving gaming history. Movies don't have this issue, so why do games?

Last edited:

MacReady13

This news is tragic, But I guess it wasn't a cheap operation to keep running.
Yeah I can imagine. Microsoft must have been bleeding money putting these backwards compatible games on here, and they are completely justified in not wanting to spend extra for licensing issue. How would they survive? They are barely scarping by as it is... Game pass though is racking in the money so I am happy they are continuing that endeavor.

Ozrimandias

It's weird that Sony didn't have the option to play actual PSX games like they did with the PS3. I'm assuming the PS3 being able to play PSX discs was emulator based? How cool would it be if Sony continued to do that for all their consoles, allow them to play PSX discs. It'd be a nice nod to their roots.

I'll never understand why console manufacturers seem to just move on and leave the bulk of their legacy titles for the history books.
What Sony did is completely strange, there is a PS2 emulator in the PS4 and a sort of PSP Emulator also, hidden....but the PS4 it's absolutely capable of running PS2 games.

nush

Jeesus fucking christ. I cannot never get rid of my Japanese 360 because none of the Cave shooters are backwards compatible that were released on disc. Guwange is the only one.
Part of the problem is that those games have different publishers for the US, Asia and Europe. How do you sort that out with a singular digital version?

Sephimoth

Since Microsoft will soon own Activision and Blizzard IPs, I wonder if this opens the door for further back compatible games that weren't possible before.,.

GoldenEye Reloaded?
I know it's highly doubtful due to music licenses, but would love the Guitar Hero games in there. They're the only reason I still have my 360 hooked up.

Last edited:

ksdixon

When shutting down the BC program, MS noted they were as far as long as liscensing etc would let them. They now own a whole slew of IP. I'm geussing with no legal red tape to sort-out, re-liscenses etc, that these games will pop up on both GP & BC?

R6Rider

Gold Member
When shutting down the BC program, MS noted they were as far as long as liscensing etc would let them. They now own a whole slew of IP. I'm geussing with no legal red tape to sort-out, re-liscenses etc, that these games will pop up on both GP & BC?
Maybe, but who knows if they have any plans to start the BC program back up. Could also go other routes like remasters and such.

PuffyCan

We won't know until June 2023... but I'd be surprised if they put any effort into this. Expect to have current Activision BC games added to Game Pass and that's it.

Looking at the current list we're going to get CODs, geometry wars and that's pretty much all lol. Could be wrong if some games were only blocked because activision didn't want them to be available.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We won't know until June 2023... but I'd be surprised if they put any effort into this. Expect to have current Activision BC games added to Game Pass and that's it.

Looking at the current list we're going to get CODs, geometry wars and that's pretty much all lol. Could be wrong if some games were only blocked because activision didn't want them to be available.
They could easily make it run it Xbox now that they can access and alter the game code. Of course they will consider it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Still baffling they would even say they were shutting down this program.

“Hey all, we will continue to strive for gaming preservation by bringing new titles to Backwards Compatiblity, but we are reaching the limits of what we can bring due to licensing issues. Let your voices be heard to the parent companies!”

Instead of

“ ‘Aight, we done. No more.“

Doesn’t taking a fucking brainiac to realize that the former is better than the latter. It at least leaves it open for possibility of future releases.

cireza

“Hey all, we will continue to strive for gaming preservation by bringing new titles to Backwards Compatiblity, but we are reaching the limits of what we can bring due to licensing issues. Let your voices be heard to the parent companies!”

Instead of

Doesn’t taking a fucking brainiac to realize that the former is better than the latter. It at least leaves it open for possibility of future releases.
They made an honest statement. Feels better than deliberately lying. They delivered so much, I am 100% satisfied with their effort.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Instead of

They said they exhausted what they can do with their current efforts but will look for alternatives. Buying Activision/ Blizz changes what they can do.

Allandor

They said they exhausted what they can do with their current efforts but will look for alternatives. Buying Activision/ Blizz changes what they can do.
Well, not to much. Most times there are licenses that prohibit something like that. E.g. licenses for music or in general for the IP (as Activision also made many movie-based games e.g. Star Trek licenses).

Tazzu

Since Microsoft will soon own Activision and Blizzard IPs, I wonder if this opens the door for further back compatible games that weren't possible before.,.

GoldenEye Reloaded?
I know it's highly doubtful due to music licenses, but would love the Guitar Hero games in there. They're the only reason I still have my 360 hooked up.
Didn't think of that. OTOH this opens the door to rereleases.

Allandor

It is amazing isn't it ?

You can get 10 or so classic games, which we grew up on, for $20~ now... many with resolution and/or frame rate enhancements.
Still waiting for that resolution patch for Risen 1 & 2. Just played through Risen 1 last month (again) it was ok, but a resolution update would have moved worlds there.
This week I began to play Risen 2 (never played through this on my pc and somehow I prefer to play those game from my couch with a gamepad) ... well ... somehow it looks worse than Risen 1 because there is more detail in the graphics that really needs a bit more resolution to shine. Also I think the resolution on Risen 2 is lower than in the first game. So much aliasing in that game. Even just a 2x res ugrade would change much. But I guess this won't happen :(

Top Bottom